Can I use this on CDs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2004, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has had a really bad rash for over a week now and actually started to bleed since he is scratching/grabbing in the infected area. So I put some A&D on him with a cheapy fleece liner and it looked soooo much better. I've tried changing him non-stop all day, using loose PFs, even did the sposie action just trying to see if anything would help.

Just got back from the dr. office and she prescribed him Nystatin ointment for the diaper rash--thinks it may be yeast related. He also has dry patches that tend to look like heat rash in diaper area and on his arms and legs. She also prescribed him Elidel cream for other areas on him thinking it was eczema.

Questions:
Can I use this ointment on his CDs?

Can I try anything else that might help?

Is there anything else I can use for the rest of his body?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Ok

Did ya mean DS ?

I've been through a variety of rashes with the children, but my luck has always been hit-and-miss. We often had to use a hydrocortisone to get things under control.

I'm sure someone will chime in as to whats cloth-friendly.

Sorry your ds is going through this.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

yep. "DS" thanks!
Old 08-19-2004, 03:21 PM

The A&D ointment has cod oil but I am guessing you know that since you said you used a liner.

I have never had problems with using Nystatin with cds but some have. But I don't find Nystatin works well. When ds got yeast rashes I would grind 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the belnder and add it to a warm bath with about 10-15 drops of tea tree oil. This was in the big tub, not the baby tub. The oatmeal helps soothe the rash and the tea tree oil kills the yeasties. It worked LOADS better than Nystatin ever did.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:15 PM

You can also try grapefruit seed extract. That works very well for yeast. We discovered that AFTER we had to go through a week of purple everything b/c of gentian violet(works like a charm, but uber-messy). As far as eczema, I use weleda calendula ointment for spot treatments and Burt's Bees Baby Oil all the time. Once we got the dry patches cleared up, the Burt's does a very good job of keeping it under control. Just put it on after every bath when babe's nice and dewy

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
Old 08-19-2004, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishshack
The A&D ointment has cod oil but I am guessing you know that since you said you used a liner.

I have never had problems with using Nystatin with cds but some have. But I don't find Nystatin works well. When ds got yeast rashes I would grind 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the belnder and add it to a warm bath with about 10-15 drops of tea tree oil. This was in the big tub, not the baby tub. The oatmeal helps soothe the rash and the tea tree oil kills the yeasties. It worked LOADS better than Nystatin ever did.
about how long did you do the baths before you saw a difference?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Really, I noticed a difference overnight and it was completely gone within a couple of days of daily baths. You can also add some tea tree oil to the wash to make sure any yeasties in the dipes die.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

bump...

anyone else has experience using Nystatin with CDs?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 PM

don't know about nystatin, but I actually use A&D "creamy" with our CD's on occasion and haven't had a problem (yet). when other people give him a bath and don't dry him off properly, or if he goes too many days in daycare in sposies he gets a rash. so i use some A&D at night with wonderoos and he wakes up much happier. so far no stains or other weirdness.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

okay, it contains "light mineral oil and polyethylene" so I am guess it will be okay since it's mineral oil? but what's polyethylene?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyaztec
okay, it contains "light mineral oil and polyethylene" so I am guess it will be okay since it's mineral oil? but what's polyethylene?
google says it's a "plastic"?

User Tag List