What are your diaper pet peeves?? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate "soaker tongues" (I figure if we're going to have ears we can have a tongue ) - the kind that are so long they stick out the front and you're trying to rearrange everything so it will stay in. I find this happens most with a fleece-topped soaker...maybe something about how the soaker and shell shrink differently or something?

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#62 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 04:00 PM

I have just 2 things I hate.....
Velcro (applix)
and soakers that are too narrow. I like a contoured soaker so I dont have to get poop off of a bunch of layers. I would love an internal soaker so much on everything, but then you have that drying problem. I really like when ds decides to poop when he's wearing a fuzzi bunz. :LOL
#63 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM

Speaking of tags, I like for a diaper to have a tag. The sad part is, I'm guilty of not having tags for my own diapers. I just haven't gotten the nerve to shell out the cash for tag design and printing because it can get pretty darn spendy. But, I really apprecaite diapers that DO have tags.. company and size. I've never had a diaper with a tag I disliked the size or the placement really. While I won't not buy a diaper because of a lack of tag, it makes me happier to have a tag.

Amber
#64 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate when fleece diapers get all linty in the wash because someone threw a paper towel in my diaper pail! :

I love labels with company/size info. It doesn't have to be expensive or showy, the ones inside HH are fine by me.

Although I still buy them, I wonder if back-snapping soakers are uncomfortable for baby. Like sleeping on two fabric covered rocks, I'd guess. My kids haven't minded, but I still wonder. I guess I prefer quick dry soakers to sewn down either in front or back, but it sure doesn't slow down the spending.

Velcro burns... yeah, I hate that. It makes me feel really really guilty for hurting my baby.

Tight leg elastic on thick layers of fabric that cause deep red marks on my tiny babe's legs... Yeah, I'd rather have it loose and take my chances. Generally I just don't snap them very tight and it solves that problem.

Seems my problems are rarely the fault of the diaper... my husband would call them System Error 31 (aka, user too stupid)!
#65 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM

Amber-I got tags here: http://www.me-dezines.com/

They are great for just starting out--she does good work and they are very affordable.
#66 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I just want to state for the record that I did NOT start this thread as a WAHM, I did as a mamma. I was just trying to get a good conversation going, and I'm sad that it went in the direction it did.

Like I said before different dipes work for different babes. I do appreciate every WAHM that I have bought diapers from, because I DO know how much time and effort it takes.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#67 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23
I just want to state for the record that I did NOT start this thread as a WAHM, I did as a mamma. I was just trying to get a good conversation going, and I'm sad that it went in the direction it did.

Like I said before different dipes work for different babes. I do appreciate every WAHM that I have bought diapers from, because I DO know how much time and effort it takes.
Don't worry about it! I think this thread has been great, and very informative!

My biggest pet peeve, that nothing can be done about really, is elastic on a beloved diaper that suddenly dies, and makes that diaper useless. So sad!
#68 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 09:06 PM

My two pet peeves are elastic that is not sewn through all the layers just because it seems to cause a weird rolling in problem on the fitteds that I have that are sewn this way.

I actually had some side snapping sugarpeas that I sold because of this "flaw". Of course it wasn't a flaw to the momma who bought them from me LOL so it goes to show how one persons flaw is another mommas perfect diaper!

The other is snap in soakers that snap in the front just because I don't want to have to be cleaning poop off the wings of a side snapper...and I don't really "do" front snapping diapers much where it would be a non issue.

There are a couple of details that I prefer which don't make or break a diaper for me. I really prefer for a diaper to have a size and company name tag. It doesn't have to be fancy but it helps me remember who made what so that if I really love it I can get more KWIM? I think it also helps with resale because you KNOW what you are getting.

I prefer diapers with hidden snaps but I have several diapers with non hidden snaps that I like a lot as well so this one is negotiable

I prefer trim through the thighs and low rise (below the belly button) just because I think it looks more comfortable.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#69 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayg
Amber-I got tags here: http://www.me-dezines.com/

They are great for just starting out--she does good work and they are very affordable.
T The lady who makes these lives not far from me.

I hate when my baby's pants waist go inside the diaper cover. Covers have to come up high enough for pants to not fall inside.
#70 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 02:05 AM

Wow ladies I can not even think of any pet peeves. I ,for the most part, can love any diaper out there.I also never notice any of the things mentioned about snaps or elastic.Actually on the elastic I don't even understand what you guys are talking about : Heck I even have learned to like velour!!

I guess I am every WAHMs dream come true.I am easily satisfied. :
#71 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Wow ladies I can not even think of any pet peeves. I ,for the most part, can love any diaper out there.I also never notice any of the things mentioned about snaps or elastic.Actually on the elastic I don't even understand what you guys are talking about : Heck I even have learned to like velour!!

I guess I am every WAHMs dream come true.I am easily satisfied. :
I agree with Jamie!
I love all the various wahm diapers in my collection! I can't find one thing wrong with any of them!!
#72 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 06:41 AM

Big ruffles around the leg holes bother me. They have no purpose really and they always either roll in or leave red marks. I prefer a more smooth leg hole.

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#73 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 08:44 AM

I have noticed the older I get the less stuff bothers me, or again, maybe I am just too tired to notice

I don't like wing-droop, that is a given but I simply do not keep the ones that do that on my kids.

Hmmm, what else, I do not like woven prints on fitteds. I have tried to like them and while I will not sell them off if they are woven print I just like knit or plain hemp, etc more.

I prefer hidden snaps, but it does not stop me from buying dipes without hidden snaps. I have not noticed super huge wings on the diapers that do have hidden snaps.

Tags, got to admit I do not like diapers with really huge showy outer tags, especially when they are on the front of the diaper. There is one maker whose diapers with tags I really like. Her tags are sewn to the soaker inside not touching baby. I think that is really clever and cool.

Guess I need to gain a few years, that is still quite a list. I would not really call them peeves though, just my preferences. I certainly do not spend energy letting these things bug me.
#74 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 10:40 AM

I am going to jump on and add one that I haven't seen yet.

Snaps that don't match. Seriously. : Snaps that don't match the diaper. Snaps that don't match each other. Snaps that are just plain ugly colors. I have examples of all of these and if I don't like it, I don't use it for very long. Snap colors that blend, harmonize and enhance the diaper/cover color are best. Choosing to just use a neutral like white, off white or black is ok too. But don't mix them up on the same dipe unless it makes sense. If you have to, make them hidden so I don't see it!

And yes, aplix avoids all these issues, but I hate aplix too.

Geez, I just realized why I like prefolds and soakers so much!
#75 of 77 Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 PM

Okay after reading some more replies...

I hate when there isn't a Tag on the diaper, especially a size tag. Sometimes its hard to know exactly what size a diaper is if you get it used. I've gotten ones that someone advertise as a certain size and it isn't because I've got ones from the WAHM in that size and they aren't the same. Not a deal breaker but a peeve. And it doesn't have to be fancy, a simple tag works too. Though some of the tags out there are beautiful.

And I do prefer the tag kind of "hidden". I don't care for a HUGE tag smack in the front or back of the diaper... like a giant bullseye. :LOL :LOL

Since I like side-aplix best, I don't like "bookend" laundry foldback tabs. I like the tab sewn down to the diaper.

I go back and forth with "quick-dry" soakers. Yes, it makes for a shorter round in the dryer but it's so annoying to try to get poo off the many layers. I always seem to find another hidden patch.
#76 of 77 Old 08-28-2004, 09:44 PM

One Word
DISPOSABLES LOL they really gross me out now!
#77 of 77 Old 08-28-2004, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
Since I like side-aplix best, I don't like "bookend" laundry foldback tabs. I like the tab sewn down to the diaper.
I read through all four or five pages or whatever there is on this thread now and thought, how can I be the only one who is driven crazy by this? But now I know I'm not alone. My son is a real squirmer during diaper changes and these wierd tabs make it so that you have to use both hands just to unstick the laundry tab. So, by the time I've done that ds is half way across the room. lol I have been meaning to sew them down myself for ages...

J.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page