What are your diaper pet peeves?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We all have them, one thing or another that really bugs you about a certain diaper.

Mine are usually never enough to make me sell a diaper. And they usually change when Kesi's shape changes.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#2 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mine is fitteds. I hate fitteds.
I just can't stand having cute diaper prints that have to be covered up, AND, I don't like to have to put a cover on because it's a hassle trying to get just a diaper on.
I've gotten rid of a LOT of them, but they all need to go.
#3 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 05:57 PM

If all my fitteds are snapped or aplixed closed when they have been cleaned.
#4 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 05:58 PM

Wing droop.
#5 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 PM

Ooooh Dana, I hate wing droop!

I also hate pilling....the new stacinator I have pills horribly. Um, and well, leaking.... LOL!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:09 PM

oh man.. I have a list.. I'm very picky

exposed snaps for the snap in soaker.. what's up with this? I know it takes more time to make sure the snaps are covered, but I really like covered snaps and it's not THAT much more time consuming is it?.

exposed snaps at all.. SO many very hyena diapers have exposed snaps. I just do NOT get this. Some of them don't bother my dd.. and some do. But, if I"m paying $15-$25 for a fitted and more for an AIO, I EXPECT the snaps to be covered and usually won't buy more if they aren't. I won't name names, but probably 75% of the hyena diapers out there have exposed snaps and it boggles my mind.

tight back elastic. Prorpas and one brand of pocket AIO's are too tight on my dd.. leaving harsh red marks.. bad bad bad.. especially when it doens't NEED to be that way.

diapers that don't seem to be well proportioned. Like, my dd can't wear a medium FB because they leave red marks on her legs. The funny part is, her thighs are 11 inches which isn't so big really since she use to have 13 inch thighs. Yet, the waist of a med. FB is on the thightest setting. seems a little odd to me.

Diapers with three snaps on each wing usually have a lumpy fit.. You are suppose to snap the far wing snap on the last front panel snap, then snap the others accordingly. It just doesn't work for us because it makes the front panel not lay flat. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Granted, i haven't tried them all.. but I've tried a few and all were the same.

Really really wide soakers bother me. A prefold is fine becaus they sort of comform. But a hemp fleece soaker that is six inches wide and 6 layers thick is surely uncomfortable.

Side snap diapers that don't fit the same snap on the upper snaps and the lower snaps. This, of course, depends on a baby's shape, but ss that fit the same settings I love.. and those that don't, I dislike and we're going more for side aplix lately for this reason.

Anything not quick dry just irritates me to no end.

Wow.. my list is very long *L*. we sort of found what works for us and stick with it for the most part but those are some of the things that I get peeved about.. and most are reason enough for me to sell and move on... not all.. but most.
#7 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:14 PM

The way the Kissaluvs droops in the front. I mean - the edges of the front part of the diaper drop down underneath the wings, it looks HORRIBLE !!

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#8 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:20 PM

When I don't have paypal to buy more diapers.... :
#9 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:20 PM

I don't know. I can't really think of anything that bothers me.
#10 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 PM

Leg elastic that folds in on a fitted.

Stinky hemp!

Wonky snap placement.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#11 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoes26

exposed snaps for the snap in soaker.. what's up with this? I know it takes more time to make sure the snaps are covered, but I really like covered snaps and it's not THAT much more time consuming is it?.

exposed snaps at all.. SO many very hyena diapers have exposed snaps. I just do NOT get this. Some of them don't bother my dd.. and some do. But, if I"m paying $15-$25 for a fitted and more for an AIO, I EXPECT the snaps to be covered and usually won't buy more if they aren't. I won't name names, but probably 75% of the hyena diapers out there have exposed snaps and it boggles my mind.

tight back elastic. Prorpas and one brand of pocket AIO's are too tight on my dd.. leaving harsh red marks.. bad bad bad.. especially when it doens't NEED to be that way.
I think you're my diapering soul sister! :LOL I hate unhidden snaps, and am amazed at how hard they are to find also. I have a major hidden snap hang up. And it's the worst when it's the snap in soaker that has exposed snaps, I wouldn't want to lay or sit on that.

The one good thing about a lot of hyena diapers having exposed snaps is that I have been able to rule them out, so I'm not tempted to spend money on them. I have narrowed it down to Cloud 9 softies, fuzbaby fitteds(not fireflys), elbees, side snaps sugarpeas, and becca bottoms ut fitteds. And Mudpie and Very Baby AIOs.

I also can't stand when the elastic is too tight (part of the reasons I like Cloud 9s, the elastic is kind of loose around the legs and waist). From a comfort stand point, prefolds seem the best since there is no elastic or snaps, but I hate poop on my wool so I still end up using mostly fitteds.

I also hate when you have to snap the diaper uneven because your child is in between snap settings.
#12 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 06:56 PM

I hate wing droop.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#13 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 PM

WIDE crotches. Ugg, I really need narrow between the legs, please. DD is very picky about this.
Unhidden snaps of fitteds (covers don't bother me too much).
Elastic that leaves red marks
Wing droop
Butt sag
The Fuzzi Bunz thing that Amber described!! Happens with DD too! And she doesn't have fat thighs.
#14 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind...
My biggest pet peeves are quick-dry soakers that snap in the front so as to make the wings bumpy in the front. Or when I can snap the wings evenly on both sides, I hate that.

Also I really don't like front snap diapers that, when snapped, are too loose in the waist and too tight on the thighs.

Bulky diapers are no fun too, but they do have their place.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#15 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:25 PM

When you can't snap them on the same snap size on both sides of the diaper. This drives me NUTS!!!!!!!!
#16 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM

1. Elastic not sewn all the way through the diaper layers.... (like only sewn to the hidden and outer layer, not inner) I'm not sure if its just me, but the few diapers I have like this always seem to curl up in a ball and then dont lay right when i try to flatten them out when i take them out of the dryer.

2. No front elastic .... that may change depending on the shape of the next baby, but they fit horribly on kyla.

3. Hidden Snaps on side snap diapers :LOL Most(obviously not all as I havent seen them ALL) diapers I have seen with hidden snaps on side snap diapers have wings that are far too big to make room for serging around the snap placement. They end up being too bulky at the hips/upper thighs and the inner fabric being loose really irks me. Not to mention my old washing machine (glad I have a front loader now ) was a bear on diapers... i had more than one snap pop off and the cap was stuck inside the diaper because it was hidden. took more effort than it was worth to get it out and repair.

4. Loose threads... this is partly my own fault, ROFL. I was always neglectful in snipping the threads on the diapers i make for kyla cause im usually in a hurry to try it on, test fit, etc... Then she would pee in it and I would wash it and kick myself for not snipping the threads when i realized i forgot to :LOL Course I have also gotten diapers in the past where there were like 4 or 5 loose threads that the WAHM forgot/neglected to cut. I understand it happens, but it did irk me :LOL
#17 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
Me too! And when I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE something that is totally unattainable!
#18 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensity_too
When you can't snap them on the same snap size on both sides of the diaper. This drives me NUTS!!!!!!!!
Oooohh that one really bugs me too -- I need it to be symetrical.

Funny how I cant think of any of my own but sure agree with whats already been listed!
#19 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
3. Hidden Snaps on side snap diapers :LOL Most(obviously not all as I havent seen them ALL) diapers I have seen with hidden snaps on side snap diapers have wings that are far too big to make room for serging around the snap placement. They end up being too bulky at the hips/upper thighs and the inner fabric being loose really irks me. Not to mention my old washing machine (glad I have a front loader now ) was a bear on diapers... i had more than one snap pop off and the cap was stuck inside the diaper because it was hidden. took more effort than it was worth to get it out and repair.
You say it so well, I don't like when they have hidden snaps for this EXACT reason!!!

#20 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
That's mine too
#21 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 PM

Oh I just thought of one! when a soaker is too short.. as in it doesn't come up over her privates .. can't imagine having a boy and dealing with that *L*.. it's bad enough with a girl. If you have a diaper with a 16 inch rise, why put an 11 inch soaker in there and snap that thing high up into the back?.. it's obviously not going to be long enough. Yes.. this one is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I've had to make new soakers for more diapers than I can count for that reason.. sort of defeats the purpose of buying it *L*.

Amber
#22 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM

Quote:
: : :

I also hate...

Most front snaps, they usually drop horribly. I hate when the front of the diaper pooches out. DS is a heavy soaker and the last thing I need is a diaper that doesn't stay against him. That's why I love side-aplix, Ii can always get a snug fit across the tummy.

Front snap in soakers on AIOs. Okay the wings have to lay between the baby and the soaker... and with a boy the front of the soaker gets saturated and then it wicks out onto the wings of the AIO. Especially if its a cotton outer.
#23 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 11:35 PM

I hate when the legs are too big, mostly on covers this is an issue for me. I guess my baby has skinny legs, and a skinny tummy actually. He still fits in newborn and smalls and he's 14 lbs 11 oz!

Jenny
#24 of 77 Old 08-25-2004, 11:36 PM

I also hate diapers that take a long time to dry, I have several like that. My Under the Nile is the worst, it literally never dries with the others no matter how long I put them in the dryer or hang them outside. I have to flip it over the changing table edge to dry. Plus, the snaps are all breaking on it. Has anyone else had that problem? The sad thing is that I actually do like how the diaper fits.

Jenny
#25 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, my DS is 3 months old and about 16.5 lbs and is outgrowing his size 1's and mediums!

#26 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 12:46 AM

quick ? for those who said they hate when the snaps on both sides are not snapped the same, ie. one side is on the tightest snaps and the other side isn't.

how else would the diaper fit as your child grows? i expect my kids to have uneven snaps from time to time because they grow and the dipes don't grow with them. so, since they get bigger you have to have the snap placement move. since most kids don't grow overnight i would expect that one side would need to change before both sides would.
i guess this never really bothered me.

i hate wing droop, that would be my biggest pet peeve (sp?)
#27 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23
Wow, my DS is 3 months old and about 16.5 lbs and is outgrowing his size 1's and mediums!
That's my ds exactly too! I think so much of it just depends on build. When they're chubbier through the thighs and have longer rises (like my ds), they don't fit in the smaller sizes. My dd used to be so petite that she could still fit in some smalls even when she was 20+ lbs because her thighs and waist were so small and she has a short rise. I thought she'd be in mediums forever. She had a recent growth spurt though and finally wears larges. Anyhoo, that's why I don't like to go by weight for diapers, actual measurements are way more accurate.
#28 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoes26

diapers that don't seem to be well proportioned. Like, my dd can't wear a medium FB because they leave red marks on her legs. The funny part is, her thighs are 11 inches which isn't so big really since she use to have 13 inch thighs. Yet, the waist of a med. FB is on the thightest setting. seems a little odd to me.

Diapers with three snaps on each wing usually have a lumpy fit.. You are suppose to snap the far wing snap on the last front panel snap, then snap the others accordingly. It just doesn't work for us because it makes the front panel not lay flat. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Granted, i haven't tried them all.. but I've tried a few and all were the same.

Really really wide soakers bother me. A prefold is fine becaus they sort of comform. But a hemp fleece soaker that is six inches wide and 6 layers thick is surely uncomfortable.

Side snap diapers that don't fit the same snap on the upper snaps and the lower snaps. This, of course, depends on a baby's shape, but ss that fit the same settings I love.. and those that don't, I dislike and we're going more for side aplix lately for this reason.

Anything not quick dry just irritates me to no end.

Wow.. my list is very long *L*. we sort of found what works for us and stick with it for the most part but those are some of the things that I get peeved about.. and most are reason enough for me to sell and move on... not all.. but most.
Let it all out mama :LOL
#29 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla

Yup that's one of my recent ones....
Other than that, I can't think of anything. I've become so not picky lately.. maybe it's because I have no time or energy to care :LOL
#30 of 77 Old 08-26-2004, 01:50 AM

Diapers where my son has outgrown the rise 10lbs below the specified weight range.

For one of the types of diapers we have it is supposed to fit until 28lbs...my son is 18lbs and the rise is too low.

Another AIO, that I really like by the way, fits my son on the tightest snaps, but once again, the rise is too low. UGH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page