Please help me narrow it more - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still trying to figure out what to ask for on my gift registry. Y'all have been a HUGE HUGE HUGE help to me in narrowing down the choices, but they're still pretty wide. It would be enormously kind of you to give further aid! Pretty please.

Here's what I've got so far:

I've decided I want to ask for Mother-ease Air Flow covers exclusively. I have some face-to-face friends who can make me some wool, so I'm not worrying about that. My husband doesn't like Velcro or covers that remind him of plastic pants.

I want a 3-pack of Wonderoos for baby-sitters and outings, but I'm not interested in pocket diapers as a major component of my system.

I want to emphasize prefolds. Y'all have convinced me to go unbleached, and I'm starting to lean towards Indian, but Chinese is definitely still in the running. If you really think I should go with one or the other, feel free to talk me into it! I figure on 6 to 8 dozen prefolds, total, depending on how many size choices I have. Correct me if that's not a good quantity.

I'm not interested in hemp, fleece, Velcro, all-in-ones, or hyena diapers.

I want about a dozen fitted diapers to supplement the prefolds at any given time. Stash uniformity is VERY important to me; I will probably lose my mind if I don't have an even dozen of identical diapers. I'm leaning strongly towards Kissaluvs Size 0 for the newborn stage. For older babies, I'm stumped: I really like Mother-ease One-size, but my husband likes Muttaqins better and I know they're more popular here. I've also heard great things about other fitteds. I'm more interested in getting good value for the money than in the actual price, but price is still a factor.

I plan on having two kids and I want the diapers and covers to last through both of them.

Places to buy: The Diaperaps and Mother-ease web sites are stealth lovers, beckoning me with their simple, no-frills packages. Simple and no-frills packages make me drool as much as Daisy Doodles and Mosaic Moon make normal people drool. Either reassure me that it's okay to fall in lust with a web site, or remind me that I need to shop around for the best deals, not just buy because I have the hots for the webmasters. I also like Babies in the Sun, Baby's Abode, Alternative Baby, Hana's Organics, and Green Willow Baby. I know we're not supposed to post reviews here, so if you have especially good or bad things to say about them, send me to a review page. Or if you know that one of these stores has/doesn't have some things I might want, remind me of that.

Of course, I'll need pins, Snappis, changing pads, disposable liners, and nylon totes, regardless. I'm still trying to decide between asking for an actual diaper pail online, or asking for a trash can or laundry hamper from Target. Feel free to talk me into something there.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!!!

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#2 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 01:44 PM

Disposable liners.. like the paper ones for inside the diaper?

I'd go with Chinese prefolds myself. The quilt up nice, and aren't too bulky. At night (for older babies) you can use 2 together.

Good luck with TTC, went through a long TTC period myself.
#3 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I want flushable liners as a first-line defense against solid food baby poop.

I think double diapering at night sounds fine.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Congratulations to you.

#4 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like you got it all figured out, I think I would lose my mind with such a uniform stash, but I do LOVE colors...

I think that unbleached indian PF are so lovely and soft and absorbant. I hope that the stash works for your little one in the makings. I know that Kesi never fit into wonderoos right and he peed straight out of them every time I used them. But most people love them so I guess his pee didn't like the suedecloth, LOL

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#5 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

It's a good thing there's enough variety AND unformity available so that neither of us has to lose her mind.

I guess, really, the only major thing I still need help with is which kind of fitteds to request for an older baby. I may just have to wait, and buy them myself after the baby exists and we can try our sample dipes on him/her.

#6 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23
I know that Kesi never fit into wonderoos right and he peed straight out of them every time I used them. But most people love them so I guess his pee didn't like the suedecloth, LOL
We had the same problem with wonderoos. You might need to wait until baby arrives on these, they just never worked for us!

Everything else looks good- and smart that you are deciding on lots of one-sized things. People that use their airflows seem to love them (we also never fell in love with these due to fit issues, but I only tried one size and then gave up!). We use CPFs and find them to be plenty soft and fluffy.
#7 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I'm only asking for 3 Wonderoos, so it's no big deal if they don't work. I'll just sell them and use the money to buy some other kind of pocket diaper that I will probably harass you guys for advice about.

I really hope the one-size diapers will work for us.

#8 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:14 PM

Like you, I researched a lot about what cloth diapering system/brand to get before DD was born. This is my experience/opinion:

You want 6-8 dozen prefolds in one size??? That may be a bit too much. I think you should get 2-3 dozen infant size ones (I only have experience with ub chinese prefolds, and I like em). Hold off on getting the other sizes until you can discover if you like prefolds or not. I thought prefolds were fine in the beginning, and now I prefer fitteds (sometimes I change my mind depending on my mood! )
I also think its a good idea to get a couple of different kinds of covers, as each baby is different, and your preferences are different from others. The ME airflow is way too poufy for me for regular use, and its gapey at the legs for some reason (although DD is within the suggested weight range). So unless i have a fitted underneath, I don't trust the cover will hold in runny bf poop, especially with my shoddily snappi'd prefolds!
In terms of ME, you should get the trial package to see if you like the OneSize. While researching CD'ing before DD was born, I was pretty sold on ME OS...I was ready to get the full time package! But after the trial dipe, ME OS no more! For us, it was way too bulky and not absorbant enough (even with the doubler!)
So, in short, before DD was born, I got 2 dozen UBCPF and some nb prorap and bummis covers...and they were great. Now I'm trying different fitteds and see from there!

I got the prefolds and proraps from Granitesmith on Ebay (she has an ebay store). But I also really like www.Clothdiapersnmore.com she has really good prices on prefolds and free shipping! (when you join her club)

I hope I didn't confuse you any more, and Good Luck!
#9 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I want flushable liners as a first-line defense against solid food baby poop.
I highly suggest recycled unbleached ones if you can find them. The bleached ones are just as bad as putting a sposie against the skin, I feel. I started out with a name brand white flushable liners, and well, putting a paper towel folded in half in the diaper would've been just as effective, IMO.
#10 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave'sFaves
You want 6-8 dozen prefolds in one size???
No, no! 6-8 dozen prefolds TOTAL for ALL sizes, depending on how many sizes I have to choose from. Like 3 dozen in each of two sizes, or 2 dozen in each of four sizes.

I already have the ME trial package.

I realize I may change my mind completely, several times, after the baby is born and grows and etc. However, I still want to ask for a full supply of diapers up front before the birth. Visions of doting grandparents dance through my head.

Danahen, where do you get unbleached flushable liners?

Thanks for all the advice!

#11 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:38 PM

hmmm, i think you've got a great start!

if i knew they would fit a small baby i'd be so tempted to get small sugarpeas side snappers or sugarpeas size 1 for the fitted dipes. the smalls fit my 17-month old perfectly though so i don't know how they'd be on a newborn. kissaluvs weren't absorbent enough for us, but i think we might be in the minority on that one?

i've only ever used chinese prefolds so i don't know if indian run the same in sizes or not. if you plan on always having a dozen fitteds i'd get 2 dozen preemies (cheap and great doublers later), 2 dozen infant, 1-2 dozen regulars, 1-2 dozen premiums. the regulars and premium are very close in size. the premiums are thicker, but the regulars are usually a better fit when the infant size is just being outgrown. my dd is not a heavy wetter so i prefer regulars on her even now. i'd probably wait to get any toddler size. my first potty trained at 23-lbs and she could still wear the infant size at that point, though regulars were more absorbent for her. my second (about 20-lbs now) is no where near needing the toddler size either.

good luck on ttc!!

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#12 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well one thing that's good about wonderoos is that it seem when people love them they really LOVE them, and they have excellent resale value. SO even if they don't work for you you should be okay. I got the motherease starter package and I liked that, even though I ended up selling everything I got. Motherease didn't work for Kesi.

I am so in love with hemp, and about 95% of my dipes are made from or have hem in them. It just seems to hold up better and absorb more for us. I use cheer and TTO in my wash cycle and that keeps the stinkies away.

SP are a nice well fitting diaper and are pretty simple so that you can have the uniformity that you want. The size 1 FS have fit Kesi for a long time(since about 3 1/2 weeks) and will still fit him for a long time to come. They also have the OC if you want to stay away from hemp.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#13 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:50 PM

I personally find my super absorbant fitteds a MUST! Kissaluvs would never work for us. I hemp though, so I can't offer you any suggustions. Good luck
#14 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay
my first potty trained at 23-lbs and she could still wear the infant size at that point, though regulars were more absorbent for her. my second (about 20-lbs now) is no where near needing the toddler size either.

good luck on ttc!!
Thanks, Momtokay! I was a skinny baby and dh was a chubby baby, so all bets are off on how big ours will be. I keep thinking, though, that the larger sizes may be unnecessary. I don't think I hit 30 lbs until I was three and would get up in the middle of the night and pull down my disposable diaper (this was before they invented Pull-Ups) to go to the toilet. My parents were like, Why are we buying diapers again? :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustLia23
I use cheer and TTO in my wash cycle and that keeps the stinkies away.
You read my mind! I definitely need to research Sugar Peas before I make a decision about what to ask for.

#15 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Lena, what would you recommend for a newborn? And how do you keep your hemp clean and fresh?

#16 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 04:30 PM

About the liners..

Nobody makes 100% recycled, unbleached liners.
Flushies seem to biodegrade a bit better than others. They are also dioxin free, yet still bleached with peroxide.
Kushies liners are the most popular (the kind we tried), they're bleached, etc..
If you have a septic system, you can't use disposable liners. We used fleece liners, the poop came off pretty easy with those. When our girls were newborns, we tossed the liners in a tupperware by the potty (filled with water). At the end of the day, we put the lid on, shook it all up, drained the soiled water, then threw the liners in with the other diapers. Really, with breastmilk poop, it doesn't hurt to throw in soiled diapers with the rest. That's how we did it most of the time (after the mec was over).
HTH!
#17 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 05:09 PM

I would second using the fleece liners instead. I just bought some cheap fleece at Joanne fabric and cut it to the size I needed. It keeps the poop off the diapers and then it will just roll right off into the toilet.
#18 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 PM

I would second using the fleece liners instead. I just bought some cheap fleece at Joanne fabric and cut it to the size I needed. It keeps the poop off the diapers and then it will just roll right off into the toilet.
#19 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 05:10 PM

#20 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 09:29 PM

1) You may want more than 3 easy diapers for the diaper bag or babysitters. I've only got 2 FB and 2DD, and really wish I had more. We can go through all of them in less than a day. Unless I wash immediately when we get home (which I never do), we end up using prefolds the next day if we're out and about (and the FB and DD covers air-dry which takes longer in our house). Nothing against prefolds (75% of our stash) but they take up lots of real estate in the diaper bag.

2) Prefolds... We've done fine so far with about 4 dozen. *If* we have another baby we may either get more smallish fitteds or another dozen infant pf's. Ds is a heavy-ish wetter so the regular pf's would have just annoyed me. So you may not need 8 dozen.
I also my dyed pf's. One next-door neighbor I just met noticed them a few times on my clothesline, and wanted to know why they were always in rainbow order. Yes, that's my compulsion, they have to be in rainbow order or my world is upside down. FTR, we've got just 20 infant and 28 premium pf's.

3) About the MEOS... They work on older babies for some people, and not well for others. When I first decided we were going to CD, I thought we'd be set with a ton of MEOS. Yes, the website enticed me too. But I got a half dozen off ebay, and hated them. Granted, ds was 5mo, but they didn't even come close to fitting right and he could soak 3/4 the diaper and stay-dry insert in less than 10 minutes. I shudder to think of what they'd be like now when he's peeing little floods and all.
See if you can snag a Mutt from the TP so you can compare it and the MEOS face to face, compare the snap up stuff and maybe even do a simulated pee test to see how much they absorb.

Sugarpeas are a good fitted to look at. We've got 3 size 1's and 2 size 2's. The size 2's are *huge* so hold off on those until baby is big enough to possibly need them. Ds has been wearing the size 1's for months, and we're still on the inside snaps on the smaller rise. The size 2's may never really get used. I believe the prints are hemp though, don't know if she makes the organic cotton with prints or not. Our only quirk is that we add more absorbency in them (in addition to the body of the diaper and the microfleece topped soaker) so ds can wear his cute diapers for more than 15 minutes.

4) It's totally okay to fall in lust with a website, but keep in mind your budget... they have to pay the webmaster somehow... (ftr, I'm not saying that's bad, just free commerce and all that).

5) Changing pads... Just take an extra prefold of two. Easy cleanup and multi-purpose. Before ds started doing the alligator death roll we used prefolds on his actual changing table (I'm too cheap to buy one of those special changing pad covers). They're also good for if you're bf'ing and are spraying everywhere.

6) You'll need a wetbag. We've got one with a zipper, I love it. Others with velcro or a drawstring would be easier with one hand, but I needed ours to be able to be tossed around without worrying about a diaper flying out.

7) Definitely get a diaper pail with a lid, fancy diaper pail or cheap trash can. You may not absolutely need a lid for the first little while, but you'll *need* it later on.

8) Wipes. Got a game plan for those? Same goes for wipe solution (if you so choose).

Okay, I'm done.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#21 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, lmonter, THANKS! You rock!!!

1) I thought about asking for more than 3 Wonderoos (I have my reasons for picking those for my "easy" diapers, although Bumkins AIO's and ME AIO's are still on my radar), but I can't imagine that we'd leave our kid with someone else for more than a few hours, and seems like we could handle prefolds on the go if we spent a weekend at Grandad's or something. But I'll consider asking for more.

2) If I had rainbow pf's I would So. Totally. have to hang them in rainbow order. I mean, absolutely. I'd be really surprised if my neighbors noticed, though.

The estimates other people have given me for number-of-diapers-per-size range from one dozen to four dozen. I throw up my hands in defeat on that.

3) I already have a Mutt and a MEOS diaper, so I'm ahead of you there. The Mutt is soft, cute and beautifully made, but still I like the MEOS better...so...simple. Dh likes the Mutt better, though. I may buy one Sugar Peas as well. Any suggestions for how to do a simulated pee test?

4) The websites I fall in love with tend to be the ones that offer *less* expensive products, although you're absolutely right that I shouldn't buy into the package deals when they're more than I really need.

5) I was thinking those waterproof changing pads might come in handy to put in bed at night, in case the baby is leaking pee or I'm leaking breastmilk. Would a prefold work for that?

6) Wetbag: Check.

7) Does the lid have to be tight fitting?

8) Wipes game plan is to ask for a bunch of packs of cheap washcloths from Target. Solution plan is to ask for a spray bottle, and fill it with distilled water, a teaspoonful of Dr. Bronner's almond soap, and two drops of tea tree oil. I'm pretty experienced at natural cleaning already, again thanks to MDC.

Again, THANKS, lmonter!!!

#22 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat
Wow, lmonter, THANKS! You rock!!!
Thanks. I have a IRL pregnant friend who wants nothing to do with cloth and I feel defeated about that (so I'm overcompensating here). Plus dh is playing Ever-crack and ds is napping.

Quote:
2) If I had rainbow pf's I would So. Totally. have to hang them in rainbow order. I mean, absolutely. I'd be really surprised if my neighbors noticed, though.
You know you have a diaper problem when you take photos of the clothesline.

Quote:
3) I already have a Mutt and a MEOS diaper, so I'm ahead of you there. The Mutt is soft, cute and beautifully made, but still I like the MEOS better...so...simple. Dh likes the Mutt better, though. I may buy one Sugar Peas as well. Any suggestions for how to do a simulated pee test?
Maybe take 1/2 cup water and pour it on each diaper. Wait like 5 minutes and see how they absorbed. Or take a big bowl, fill with water, immerse the diaper for a short while. Shake off unabsorbed water, then wring off into a measuring device. I'm just randomly thinking of stuff, I'm nowhere near being a scientist.
One more thing - for me the MEOS felt like a kinda rough terrycloth towel. It may not be soft over time. But this could just be my own textile issues.

Quote:
5) I was thinking those waterproof changing pads might come in handy to put in bed at night, in case the baby is leaking pee or I'm leaking breastmilk. Would a prefold work for that?
Hmmm... don't know. We didn't co-sleep (*everybody* in the house snores among other issues). When ds was littler and was still nursing a few times at night I'd soak through 2-3 premium prefolds (sometimes trifolded!) a night - just from leaky boobs. I refuse to wear a bra or even a shirt to bed; it's enough that I actually wear a bra out in public. A prefold is lots more comfortable than laying on a nubby towel, and our sheets were generally dry in the morning. Also, I'm betting the waterproof pad would basically be like the nylon from dappi-type pull-on pants, right? I couldn't imagine sleeping on that, but I'm just picky. Just keep a handful of prefolds next to your bed and switch them out during the night from beneath you and babe.

Quote:
7) Does the lid have to be tight fitting?
Not really. Ds's diaper pail has a lid that just lifts on/off. The sliding lid is held in place by little plastic things on the lid. You can see it in my photos. If dh remembers to shut the lid (grrr...) ds's room doesn't smell like pee/poop.

Quote:
8) Wipes game plan is to ask for a bunch of packs of cheap washcloths from Target. Solution plan is to ask for a spray bottle, and fill it with distilled water, a teaspoonful of Dr. Bronner's almond soap, and two drops of tea tree oil. I'm pretty experienced at natural cleaning already, again thanks to MDC.
Get a package of those washcloths to play with to see how you like them. We got some cheap ones from Walmart, and they have been sitting on a shelf in the closet for about 4 months. They're no match for ds's sticky poo. Make sure to get a small bottle for diaper bag, and another regular spray bottle for when your baby will eventually kill the original (once they can toss things, look out).

HTH!

Lanna

eta: We even ended up not using those cute little baby hooded towels (that match the thin washcloths) from BRU/Walmart/Target. They were rough and thin, and ds likes my plush JCPenney towels much better anyway. Smart kid.

#23 of 25 Old 08-30-2004, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Dh and I like your clothesline.

I think the waterproof changing pads have soft stuff on top with waterproof backing. They're advertised as being good in bed. Oops, that sentence didn't come out sounding right.

I've heard some people say that a tight-fitting diaper pail lid makes the room smell better, and other people say the opposite--that letting it air out is a good idea.

I'll take note about the extra spray bottles. I like to have a bunch of them around the house anyway, since I use them for cleaning.

The on my right shoulder is telling me to ask for a dozen MEOS and sell them if we decide they don't work, while the on my left shoulder is telling me to admit defeat on the stash uniformity and just ask for six of each.

#24 of 25 Old 08-31-2004, 12:54 AM

I like our clothesline too. Helps balance out the hideous gold/orange/brown linoleum throughout the house.

Throw some baking soda in the diaper pail when you empty it and wash it out/sun it every once in a while and you're good to go. I don't use pail pals or anything because again, I'm cheap, and it's not going to change the smell of ds's poop that much.

Try to wait until you have your babe and know their wetting patterns, then you can go one way or the other with MEOS or Mutts. And not to be morbid, but in the event of a m/c, you won't have lots of diapers everywhere. After my m/c I couldn't be around babies for about 6mo. If I weren't sorta superstitious we would've started collecting stuff right after the positive test and I would have lost my sanity coming home to it all the time.

#25 of 25 Old 08-31-2004, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Just thinking....I could also ask for a dozen of each. Might be overkill, but that way things would be equal. Or I could set aside the money in advance and buy a dozen of one or the other, myself, later. Like someone else said in another thread, I can't deal with the thought of having just 1 or 3 or 6 of something. I must have 12.

I'm leaning against the Sugar Peas now. What appeals to me is that if they really do fit a newborn, then I can get a dozen in each size instead of a dozen Kissaluvs 0's and a dozen MEOSs or Mutts. But I don't want to deal with hemp, and it looks like the organic cotton will be expensive and hard to find, and darn it, I WANT to buy Kissaluvs and MEOS or Mutts.

I bet if I have a m/c I can hide the diapers in the attic or at MIL's house.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page