Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering...
#2 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM

Sometimes I like to have all the diaper laundry done at the same time too and i'll use a smelly pampers(thats what the store had at the time). Sometimes when I go out and I know i dont wanna lug dirty cloth around too i'll use sposies
#3 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Seriously ill in the hospital hooked to a machine. Then I might consider it but probably not.
#4 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:11 PM

I used them on the ride home from California. It was a 24 hour straight drive with no stops. I used cloth the way there, and in the desert heat it stunk up the car so bad that my friends said I was going to use disposables on the way back, or walk. Well, I went and got some Tushies. I needed to get home!
#5 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:16 PM

I'm with Kathleen--in the hospital only. She was in the SCN for her first week and it wasn't a choice. I've never bought them and don't even know what size she'd wear. My sister jokes that when she babysits I'll have to buy a pack of sposies--she's not babysitting. I sometimes on the afternoons she seems to pee every 20 minutes, but I don't have to 100% love cloth every day to follow through with it.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#6 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:18 PM

If I want all my diapers clean together I use my prefolds . We are using disposeables to fly to Australia, but that's only because there's no way I could possibly carry 24 hours worth of cloth (believe me, I considered it!)
#7 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 PM

today is almost one of those days! Bekki has been up since 3:30 am w/only an hr nap and of course her siblings were awake during that time. : ALMOST put a sposie on her the last change but she hasn't pooped in 10 days, there is no way a sposie will hold it when she goes.

s hope your day is better from here
#8 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:19 PM

I doubt I would ever consider it. I have enough cloth to last for over a week.
#9 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:21 PM

Sometimes you do just need a break dont you? I've used cloth in the most difficult circumstances, like in hospital with gastro, and then bought sposies because on a particular day I couldnt be bothered.

Last time I bought them was about 3 months ago. Eliza goes to daycare 3 days per week (she is looked after in a lady's home, her carer does cloth for us). Two of those days are consecutive and her carer will not touch her diapers, just rolls it up in the cover so she uses 6 covers in a day. I have no problem with this, its fair enough but it leaves me short of covers next day. I couldnt get all the laundry done this particular day so bought sposies on the way there next morning. I used the whole pack over the next 4-5 days of daycare.

ATM I'm considering buying a pack just so she can wear some of the blasted clothes in her wardrobe. NOTHING fits!
#10 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:22 PM

Only a hospital situation would make me consider using a sposie at this point. And even then, I would try my darndest to use cloth.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#11 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:31 PM

I am considering using disposables on our trip to Utah & Nevada next summer, Braden will be 2 years old and we'll be driving. I'm not going to want to carry around cloth (diapers or trainers or whatever he'll be in then!) and try to find places along the way to wash them (we're in WA state). So we'll use disposables then. But other than that trip, there's no other time I'd use disposables. We haven't used one since Braden was 5mos. old. Dh does as much diapering/diaper laundry as me so if I were out of comission for awhile he'd keep it up.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#12 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:32 PM

So far I've never been tempted to use a sposie. Early on when I had 24 cpf's and 3 bumkins covers as my entire stash she had maybe one sposie a day and one at night.

Now that I have fitteds and WIO's and wool covers and soakers I can't imagine ever wanting to use a sposie as a break from cloth.

In a hospital situation I'd use sposies if need be.
#13 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:37 PM

I used them on our long car trip (13 hours) this past June. I also use them when we go to church. Thats it.
#14 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:43 PM

well, : besides dd wearing sposies at work with dh, sometimes i use them just to get some stinking clothes to fit!!! as i go along in cd world, i'm trying to buy clothes with her dipes in mind, but sometimes the girl could just use a pair of pants on!

yesterday, i put sposies on her b/c she felt miserable & was really gassy & i was afraid of nasty poo. it didn't happen & she went back in the cloth.

i guess, in general, i'm a middle of the road girl!
#15 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM

If we are travelling somewhere for more than about 4 or 5 days and have no access to a washer and dryer. If its for 5 days or less I will just use cloth and wash when we get home.

That is pretty much the only case for us.
#16 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 06:56 PM

I do not have any sposies in the house and I have not had any since the month that I switched to cloth. We decided to use cloth and that is what we use. These are our beliefs and we don't waffle on our beliefs.
#17 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Probably never. I just act like sposies were never invented and then I'm not tempted. Now I haven't taken a long car trip or anything so I might change my tune if the situation were different.

Laura
Mom to three
#18 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:10 PM

I've used them here and there during weeks of stress or illness. I will probably use them if we ever travel anywhere for longer than a couple of days.
#19 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM

I thought about it for a second this week, as Colin has been sick for 10 days now w/a yucky tummy and massive blowouts galore...just couldn't do it though.
#20 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 PM

On a cross country vacation. I had no room for all the cloth I would need and I didn't think lugging home a bag of dirty diapers was exactly what I wanted to do.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#21 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:27 PM

I used disposables the first day I went out alone with both my 3yo and newborn. I was pretty freaked out about it, and the idea of having to deal with poopy toddler diapers while at the playground with a newborn strapped to my chest stressed me out. So I gave myself permission to use disposables for a few hours.

We also used disposables when we flew across country for a weeklong vacation. However, had I known that there was a laundry room literally next door to us, I would have brought cloth.
#22 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:29 PM

Ds wore sposies when he was first born and when he came home. He only weighed a bit over 2 pounds and I really dont think NICU was up for messing with cloth, nor was I for finding a dipe to fit that small. His weight was 4 pounds when he came home so he had to grow into the cloth. Thats when I would used sposies, when I had no choice otherwise.
#23 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:34 PM

right now... DS has two incisions and the bandages cannot get wet. For naps and night (since he is SOAKED when he wakes up) he must wear sposies. I have him in tushies with a thin fleece liner.
#24 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 PM

If we ever have the money to fly to the Philippines...
A full day in a carseat kind of day (it is an 8 hour drive to Fairbanks from here IF weather, road work, and crazy animals permit)
That weird diarrhea thing that Ian went through for several weeks.
Long term hospitalization.
Earthquakes.

I think that is about it.
#25 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
DS has only ever worn one sposie, and I'd really like to keep it that way. If we were ever going on a trip, I would take his diapers into consideration. I would try my hardest to make sure there was a washer and dryer either where I was staying or close by. I don't think that I would go on a trip if I couldn't use cloth...

DP is just as into cloth as I am, so even if I were seriously ill, we'd still be using cloth.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#26 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Going to be using them this weekend. We are going on a four day long camping trip and our car will be so stuffed to the gills that there is no way I can pack four days worth of dipes... and then pack four days worth of stinky dipes home. I also don't want to attract any bears and such.

So she's going in disposables for a couple of days

Tammy
#27 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 08:25 PM

I would never use one. Unless someone stole all my diapers, there was NOTHING I could find to have a makeshift one and it was the middle of the night.

I have taken many a plane trip, vacation to the beach, ski trip, visit to the grandparents and cross country drive, and I have not had to use one. I prefer my cloth all the way. They are for me what disposables are to full-time disposable users--a way of life, rarely deviated from, the only option...Just the way it is.

Of course, after reading furthur, I see there are instances I might have to when cloth might not be possible, but I have not faced any--for an illness or some instance in which is was impossible.

I just wonder what people did before disposables as an "alternative"?

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#28 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 PM

At night

:

: : : : : : : : : : :
#29 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
At night

:

: : : : : : : : : : :
me too...and when I had to strip all of her diapers (it took all day long!)

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#30 of 66 Old 09-01-2004, 09:00 PM

When an uninformed family member happens to be watching him (i.e. DH's grandmother who thinks I'm an idiot for "making things so hard"). That's the only time and even then I tell her she has to buy the diapers b/c I won't spend money on sposies.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page