Making prefolds into fitteds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2004, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are ttc #2 right now and I want to make ds's old prefolds into newborn ss fitteds for the new babe. How do you do it? They are just the cheap gerber prefolds. I just need newborn size. I have plenty of other sized dipes, but I don't have anything for a newborn. I figure I can make these and get a couple of covers and we will be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 PM

www.darshani.com

under natural family living

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 AM

Is there another place with instructions for this? The link doesn't work.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:43 AM

These instructions are pretty good.

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM

I tried to do the second set of instructions. It would have worked well if I had gotten the elastic in correctly. As it is, it looks like a contour with flaps because the elastic did nothing.

Where do you find those plastic snaps that are on like all dipes?

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan'sMommy View Post
I tried to do the second set of instructions. It would have worked well if I had gotten the elastic in correctly. As it is, it looks like a contour with flaps because the elastic did nothing.

Where do you find those plastic snaps that are on like all dipes?
Did you stretch the elastic as you sewed it in? I find that I have to stretch it to its maximum to get a good gather, since prefold fabric is so thick.

As for the plastic snaps, there are a lot of places to buy them. You need a snap press to install them. The Snap Store is a good place to start if you aren't familiar with the whole set up.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musemor View Post
Did you stretch the elastic as you sewed it in? I find that I have to stretch it to its maximum to get a good gather, since prefold fabric is so thick.

As for the plastic snaps, there are a lot of places to buy them. You need a snap press to install them. The Snap Store is a good place to start if you aren't familiar with the whole set up.
I tried to stretch it, but obviously I didn't stretch enough! I am going to try again soon!
Thanks for the snap tips. I looked at two fabric stores here and the people in both places looked at me like I was crazy for wanting plastic ones.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 AM

When you're putting in the elastic, you may need to trim out the interior layers of the prefold on the sides. Sometimes they're just too thick and the elastic can't gather them. Also, the sides can be really different, so if you don't trim them out, you'll end up with one side that's really gathered and one side that isn't. Prefolds are mysterious creatures!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:27 PM

OK, I'm trying again tomorrow.

For those that have done this, do you cut beyond the middle seam to put in the elastic? Or do you put it right beside the middle seam? Have you done it with toddlers? I am going to try one toddler and two premiums tomorrow.

I had someone recommend that I surge three out of the four edges first, and THEN put in the elastic. Anyone done that? Do all sergers cut off a bunch of fabric as they serge? Or just mine?

I will also try thinning out the layers where I put the elastic. Thanks for that tip.

Sorry for hijacking the thread OP!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM

nak.

you don't want to cut beyond the middle seam...just put the elastic beside it (maybe 1 cm out). i have done toddler pfs and it's the same process, but it does make for a wide center panel between their legs.

i think it would be hard or impoosible to put in leg elastic after serging three sides. sergers all cut off fabric as they sew unless you disengage the knife...when you cut the diaper you should leave a seam allowance to account for that. you also need a buffer between the elastic and the serger because if the serger ends up sewing over part of the elastic, it won't gather properly anymore.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
nak.

you don't want to cut beyond the middle seam...just put the elastic beside it (maybe 1 cm out). i have done toddler pfs and it's the same process, but it does make for a wide center panel between their legs.

i think it would be hard or impoosible to put in leg elastic after serging three sides. sergers all cut off fabric as they sew unless you disengage the knife...when you cut the diaper you should leave a seam allowance to account for that. you also need a buffer between the elastic and the serger because if the serger ends up sewing over part of the elastic, it won't gather properly anymore.
I am worried about that large center panel, I hope it isn't too big!

How do I do a buffer like you described? That is what I was worried about, cutting off or messing up the elastic. I really want to prevent that!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:25 PM

When I cut the PFs, I leave about 1.5 inches of fabric outside the center panel. I sew the elastic in about 3/8-1/2" in from the center panel, and then serge off about the same amount. The serging itself takes up 1/4", which leaves just enough fabric between the serging and elastic. It takes some practice...go slow while you're serging! I've made a few hundred of them now and it's second nature, but hopefully it won't take that many before you feel proficient.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
When I cut the PFs, I leave about 1.5 inches of fabric outside the center panel. I sew the elastic in about 3/8-1/2" in from the center panel, and then serge off about the same amount. The serging itself takes up 1/4", which leaves just enough fabric between the serging and elastic. It takes some practice...go slow while you're serging! I've made a few hundred of them now and it's second nature, but hopefully it won't take that many before you feel proficient.
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl!

User Tag List