Re-selling for more than retail... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this isn't too much of a touchy subject. I'm just wondering if most people will pay more than retail for "hyena" diapers that are new or used, but not being sold by the WAHM herself. Obviously, ebay doesn't count since the buyer determines the price by bidding as high as they wish, but what about a price set by the seller?

How do WAHMs feel when their items are sold higher than their retail price?

Also, are you as a buyer willing to pay more than retail for a sought-after diapering item? If there are people out there who are willing to do so, then does it make it okay for the seller to price over retail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM

Ya know, I was thinking about this yesterday when I was looking at ebay. I think it must make them :, but what could be done about it?
#3 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 07:45 PM

I would buy an El Bee Baby fitted for twice the price because they are sooo hard to find! KWIM
#4 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristiansMomma
I would buy an El Bee Baby fitted for twice the price because they are sooo hard to find! KWIM
I think the WAHM then deserves to double her price. She deserves the money since she works so hard on it.
#5 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 07:52 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. I am not willing to pay over retail for a hyena dipe. Thats why I haven't been able to snag a Kiwi Pie off ebay yet. But, I am not against people who are selling dipes making as much as they can get.
#6 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:29 PM

i've paid more than retail in the past and would do it again for the right item. i'd really prefer not to do that, but if ya gotta have it...

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#7 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
I think the WAHM then deserves to double her price. She deserves the money since she works so hard on it.

So then, when you buy an item and it then becomes a collectable, should you feel about reselling it for more than what you payed?

Not being snarky, just an honest question.

ETA: I don't think it's wrong to sell a highly sought after diaper for whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Now, if you're buying stuff with the sole purpose of reselling to make money, that's not cool.
#8 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
So why don't they? People would pay more.

Just asking...
#9 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:42 PM

From my experience, alot of Mamas will and have paid well over retail for dipes because they either a) haven't been successful at stalking the dipe from the source or b) buy it just to "have" it.
I have paid over retail on a couple of occasions for both these reasons.
Do I think the WAHM's should then in turn raise their prices?
Sure! If the items are being bought at a higher-than-retail price, then there are obviously people out there who will pay more for a quality item.
As an example...I have watched the price of SOS go up from $15 per dipe (just last summer when I was a frequent stalker) to $18+, and they are still being snagged as quickly as they're posted.
#10 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 PM

Also, a lot of these diapers are one of a kind so it's not like you can just go get another one, kwim?
#11 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:51 PM

When I was stalking MM recently, I enlisted several people from my office. They didn't understand the hyena rush until it was over. They said that obviously she isn't charging enough for her covers if they sell out in half a second

ashlee
#12 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:56 PM

I think once the product leaves the WAHM's hands, supply/demand and the market for dipes, hyena or not, will dictate what is asked for and paid for a diaper. When I see a KP go for $62 on ebay I look at it as a reflection of supply/demand and don't feel bad that the original seller isn't profiting again from the resale of the product (even if it's still new.) I think it's presumptious to think that a community can create rules for the distrubition of products.

That said, if I were to part w/ a 'hyena' type product I would personally put it up on the TP for what I paid for it (if new) or a reasonable % if in EC or VGC.

more to say, but the babe is fussing

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#13 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 08:58 PM

I have paid a LOT over retail for El Bees a lot of times. The thing is that I want thoes diapers and wool covers and I cant get them unless I pay what people ask for them so I pay it.

Yes the WAHMs who make them do work hard but a lot of times with items like El Bee or Kiwi Pie the mama who buys them in the first place does a lot of work to get them. I know I have put a lot of time and effort and money into building the El Bee stash that I have and if for some reason (God forbid!) I needed to sell them I would sell them for whatever the market was willing to support.

If people dont think its right or dont like that mamas are asking that much for them they can just not buy them. If no one buys them then the asking price has to go down.
#14 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:01 PM

:
#15 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 PM

Monica!
How dare you chomp on popcorn and not offer me any!
#16 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 PM

I just sold an El Bee for over retail, but I've also bought them for over retail. Does that even things out?

Offering a hyena item for over retail is okay in my book...no one is forced to buy anything. Should there be a TP rule that says that only retail should be asked? That way, everything "hyena" will go to ebay, and we can knock each other over in the bidding wars. Just my 2 cents, since I have a feeling my TP post might have prompted this thread.
#17 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmama
Offering a hyena item for over retail is okay in my book...no one is forced to buy anything. Should there be a TP rule that says that only retail should be asked? That way, everything "hyena" will go to ebay, and we can knock each other over in the bidding wars. Just my 2 cents, since I have a feeling my TP post might have prompted this thread.
I agree- if the price is too much then don't buy it! It's simple economics. There aren't any babies going diaperless because moms can't afford hyena dipes.
#18 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:31 PM

I don't necessarily feel critical of someone for selling higher than retail (obviously I do not know their circumstances), but I am definitely not comfortable doing it. It goes against my personal ethics. I also feel uncomfortable when I see something that I sold on the TP show up again selling for more than I asked. But, I like to think that is more often than not just a case of not being able to remember what you paid for something.
#19 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

I agree that there should not be rules about what price you can set. I just don't think *I* could sell for more than retail - it would feel wrong to *me*. But like others said, you don't have to buy the item if you don't agree with the price.

I'm just curious how the WAHMs feel when they see it happen.
#20 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Quote:
If people dont think its right or dont like that mamas are asking that much for them they can just not buy them. If no one buys them then the asking price has to go down
ITA. For the "collector" dipes, there's a whole different market phenomenon, IMO. I've bought and sold stuff for way over retail (although the selling for more $$ has been done on ebay, so the person buying decides how much that item is worth to them) I think Kristin (momtokay) is right- it all depends on how badly you want something

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#21 of 130 Old 09-08-2004, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
I don't necessarily feel critical of someone for selling higher than retail (obviously I do not know their circumstances), but I am definitely not comfortable doing it. It goes against my personal ethics. I also feel uncomfortable when I see something that I sold on the TP show up again selling for more than I asked. But, I like to think that is more often than not just a case of not being able to remember what you paid for something.

Yup, that is how I feel. However, selling something used for more than you paid (but still under retail) doesn't seem as bad. I'm sure I've done it for the reason you stated - I sometimes forget what I paid for items on the TP.
#22 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 12:37 AM

#23 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 12:44 AM

#24 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 12:52 AM

I think it is up to each individual and their own conscience/moral code. Economics says that sell it for whatever you can possibly get for it.

As a WAHM it would be annoying to know I sold something to someone who immediately sold it for a considerably larger profit on Ebay. Likely it would make me turn to not selling retail at all. Have an information website, but sell all items via auction instead of the craziness of stockings. Can you imagine how much more profit the hyena moms could make if they quit doing hyena cart/normal stockings but instead stocked via ebay? Their profits would be way up for sure.
#25 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 12:57 AM

Quote:
How do WAHMs feel when their items are sold higher than their retail price?
It pisses them off.

No, let me qualify that. When an item is resold by auction, and the opening bid is lower than the purchase price, and the BIN price is the same as or lower than the purchase price, *most* WAHM's I know actually get a kick out of seeing how high it will go.
What pisses them off (and no, I'm not speaking for myself here - the only things of mine that ever went above retail were because of e-bay bidding) is when someone posts on the TP, asking a price higher than that paid to the WAHM, or when the opening bid or BIN on an auction is higher than the purchase price. This is *particularly* infuriating when it happens to be a custom diaper that had a lot of work go into it (often with the WAHM caving to special requests just to please the customer, even when that isn't their normal mode of operation), or when someone sells off freebie diapers.

We all know that it's not up to us - once you sell the diaper (or give it away), nobody but the owner has any say in how much they can be sold for. But I do know that it does tick off many WAHM's. And they *do* notice.

Oh, and while we're on the subject.....it also pisses WAHM's off when people neglect to mention that the diaper being sold is a second, or an older style, or has had modifications made to it. It is very important, to maintain the integrity of the WAHM's business, that this be done!
#26 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 01:05 AM

I don't think it is right to ask more than you paid because there is a demand. If it goes higher on ebay than you have no control over it. However I think it is wrong when you try to make a profit off of a wahm's hard work. As for the arguement that the wahm should charge more, I think a lot of them try to keep there prices down so more people can try their products.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#27 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama

Oh, and while we're on the subject.....it also pisses WAHM's off when people neglect to mention that the diaper being sold is a second, or an older style, or has had modifications made to it. It is very important, to maintain the integrity of the WAHM's business, that this be done!
Hmm, hadn't thought about that one. I can totally understand how that could hurt a WAHM....

Interesting!
#28 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 01:13 AM

let me play 's advocate for a second here. Kellie, don't mind me hijacking cos this is related... how do WAHMs feel when they know people purposely choose to put something up on ebay hoping that it will get them a profit? I know people have done this with hyena diapers and covers because they know people will pay more than they "should" and actually do it intentionally to make money, like they would with a collectible or antique item (though obviously a 6-month-old diaper is not antique :LOL). I just keep thinking if it was a diaper I'd made, I'd be ticked off. Or would you say to each his own and be glad because you might be able to raise your prices because of it?

(I hope that made sense, I'm sort of rambling, pretty )
#29 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 AM

They notice (and keep track of) the people who do this repeatedly. I've heard of some considering not accepting orders from some that do it often.
On an emotional level, it is devaluing to the WAHM and what they are trying to accomplish with their business. Like was mentioned by a PP, most WAHM's *don't* charge as much as they could, but they do so because they do want a wide range of people to be able to have a shot at buying their stuff. If they're trying to keep the field open, and then find people snapping up their hard work to make a quick profit.....well, it hurts.
Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. It's a gut-level thing, yk?
#30 of 130 Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 AM

It doesn't bother me when I see a diaper on ebay go up really high in price....that is the consumers driving up the price.

I do get bent outta shape when I see someone posting something on the TP for say, double its original price, AND it has been used. : And I'm double pissy if someone buys something from me, and then jacks the price waaaaaaay up selling it again on the TP. I personally think there should be a rule against that. Maybe it is good capitalism, but it sure isn't very nice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page