Couple questions - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-11-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought some Sportwash and I am just praying that this helps.

Our dipes are stinky after they are peed in - ammonia! It's all the dipees, but the hemp is worst!

We have a frontloader.

This is what I plan to do:
Cold wash with 1/2 c baking soda/cold rinse
Hot wash with 1 Tblsp. Sportwash/cold rinse
Warm rinse/extra warm rinse (the hot wash is paired with a cold rinse)

Does this look good?
When should I put the TTO in? Also, what do you use for drops? My TTO didn't come with a dropper and I was using a capfull.

TIA for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-11-2004, 08:42 PM

I don't have an answer for you but I thought I'd give you a bump...this has been discussed a lot recently...maybe search for "chemist", there was a big thread about stink and wash routines, you might find some help in there. HTH!
#3 of 8 Old 10-11-2004, 11:05 PM

I just cured stinky hemp from the TP with vinegar. Ammonia is a base, so vinegar helps to neutralize it. Vinegar is also germicidal, so it kills any little beasties loitering. This is what I did: Soaked in baking soda, looked up hemp stink, revised plans and pulled dipes out of baking soda soak, put dipes in vinegar soak, watched in amazed amusement as the BS reacted with the vinegar and blew the diapers up like balloons with CO2, let them sit for 2 hours or so, rinsed and ran the diapers through a normal wash cycle with towels, in case diaper stink is contagious.

No stink post wash, no stink after pees. Knock on wood.
#4 of 8 Old 10-11-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I just cured stinky hemp from the TP with vinegar. Ammonia is a base, so vinegar helps to neutralize it. Vinegar is also germicidal, so it kills any little beasties loitering. This is what I did: Soaked in baking soda, looked up hemp stink, revised plans and pulled dipes out of baking soda soak, put dipes in vinegar soak, watched in amazed amusement as the BS reacted with the vinegar and blew the diapers up like balloons with CO2, let them sit for 2 hours or so, rinsed and ran the diapers through a normal wash cycle with towels, in case diaper stink is contagious.
: Your post had me

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 AM

I wanna get some baking soda and vinegar just for the sheer amusement factor... :LOL

But seriously, I just tried about a quarter cup of bleach in a washer load and the stinkies are gone. And for some reason, the stiffness problem we had is gone too. My hemp soakers are back to being nice and flexible and stink-free!
#6 of 8 Old 10-12-2004, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Can you use bleach on everything? I have Kissaluvs, Fuzzi Bunz, MOE inserts, and Hemp inserts.

How much bleach?
#7 of 8 Old 10-12-2004, 01:38 AM

[QUOTE=Mom2Sailor]I wanna get some baking soda and vinegar just for the sheer amusement factor... :LOL[QUOTE]

It is amusing. They were Fireflys too, so the soaker wings kept popping up like they were ALIVE. Try entertaining your kids with piles of baking soda and a spray bottle of vinegar/water in the sink. Fizzes everywhere.

Apologies to the OP for off topic posting. I wouldn't bleach my FBs, but the pp recommended 1/4 bleach for a load. How does that translate to a FL?

Here is an interesting link to a thread that I would read if I were you before you do anything else.
#8 of 8 Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I read that whole thread Kari - now I'm really confused. If this Sportwash doesn't work, then I have some ideas at least. I wish you could tell how things turned out before they pee in the dipes.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page