Fabric softener to "water-proof" fleece - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got a fabric softener question...i have a couple of fleece pants and two fleece covers. I know washing with fabric softener is supposed to make it more water-proof as such - but how do I do this? Do I just soak the pants/covers in fabric softener mix with water, then drip dry, or will it need a rinse?
#2 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 PM

I usually just throw my fleece in the dryer with a dryer sheet. Never tried any sort of liquid fabric softener. And for unknown reasons (I keep meaning to call and ask) Malden Mills does not recommend fabric softener on their fleece so it's a 'do at your own risk' sort of activity .

Laura
Mom to three
#3 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 06:33 PM

MM doesn't condone fabric softener because it increases the flammability of fleece.

You can just mix about 2 tablespoons fabric softener into a gallon of water, swish your fleece stuff around in it, and either dryer OR drip dry. Doesn't need to be rinsed, as liquid softener normally goes into the rinse cycle of a washing machine anyways.
#4 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! I knew you guys would be able to help me out.
#5 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 PM

This is going to sound neourotic, but I'm putting it out there anyway.. I always try to make sure that the side I want "waterproofed" is out.. Like I want to INSIDE of the of fleece pants to be water repellant so I wash them inside out... I realize that the whole of the pants is getting wet.. But just like I pour lanolin onto the inside of my soakers to increase water resistance I do the same with anything I want to "waterproof" using fabric softner..

Warm Squishy Feelings...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#6 of 7 Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 PM

Wow...I've never ever had to waterproof fleece covers or pants...I didn't even know people did this?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#7 of 7 Old 10-22-2004, 12:36 AM

I just wash my fleece with the rest of my clothes. I just throw and dryer sheet in with the dryer and don't do anything special!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page