An unscientific CD mama poll - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old are you, CD mama?
Under 18 1 0.32%
19-25 67 21.20%
26-30 142 44.94%
31-35 74 23.42%
36-40 21 6.65%
41-45 11 3.48%
46-50 0 0%
51 plus 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Do you think I am telling you how old I am? 0 0%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 33 and feel kinda old now.
#62 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
I am 23...I am very surprised to hear these responses. In a good way! Mamas who I thought were my age are older, mamas who I thought were older are younger...it's very enlightening. And I am almost always surprised to see mamas who use cloth and how "normal" they look (since CLEARLY we are NOT normal, right???!!!) :

Here's what I look like (I hope, I'm not very good at this at all):
http://homepage.mac.com/pianopad/PhotoAlbum78.html

Did that work, lol?
nak
of course you thought i was younger LOL!!!

I need a password to see your pic
#63 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:17 PM

Grrr...it's my dad's website and I'm just not comfortable posting the password all over the net. PM me if you're THAT curious!
#64 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:27 PM

It's funny - I am 34 and I remember cloth diapers from when I was a child - prefolds or flats with pull up plastic pants. When I tell people I CD I think that is what they imagine. They are always amazed when I show them a cute fitted with a wool cover or an AIO. My mother really encouraged me to CD (as she did - sposies were just being invented when I was a babe and they were very expensive). I think most mama's my age don't think there is a good cloth option. I personally have 4 friends that cd and several that will/would if they have another child. So many of us waited until our 30's to have kids. This is making me feel ancient...

Janet
#65 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:27 PM

I'm 21. I don't know anyone and I've never seen anyone CD or babywear except me. My mom didn't vax (we had a family member have a sever reaction) and homeschooled, but she's far from crunchy.
Everyone tells me I don't look like the type either. I think they're looking for a Birk wearing, natural looking, woman in her late 30's. That's just what I've heard. I live in the south so, that's not real common. I'm quite the opposite. I'm a young Louis carrying, Manolo wearing, BGBG shopper. People think I've lost my mind or had lead poisoning as a child when I say I CD, babywear, co-sleep, don't vax, make my own organic baby food, and plan to homeschool!
#66 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:31 PM

I'm 26. I started cding when I was 22.

I will now start taking guesses at how old I was when I had my first, lol.

Michelle

ETA: I think I look pretty crunchy. I've been told I "look the part". And I guess I am the odd one out, almost everyone I know irl cds and baby wears and doesn't vax and bfs (extended and tandem...)etc

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#67 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 PM

27 now - been cd'ing since Boo was born - I was 25 then.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#68 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:33 PM

Hmmmm...17?

What do I win if I'm right?
#69 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby
Well, I feel old now. Where I live we are considered so young to already have two kids (I'm 32), but nationwide I am apparently a geezer. Or maybe all the old mamas here have already gone to bed!
Yes I was already in bed :LOL

I'll be 32 in a few weeks, I cd'd my first ds part time 10 years ago, cd's my 2nd ds part time and dd has been pretty much full time since she was a few months old.
#70 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm...17?

What do I win if I'm right?

Nope.

Hmmm...a prize. If someone guesses right they can come pet my prefolds, lol.

#71 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobica
ummmm, I'm 34 (um, 35 next month : ) I am totally not crunchy, but among my neighborhood, just the fact that i recycle religiously, keep siobhan away from dyes & hydrogenated high fructose crap & CD, i'm the crunchiest thing they've seen

:LOL

I've been wondering for awhile, what is the proper pronunciation of your ds's name?
#72 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH
Same here! I was born July 19th 1975 When is your birthday?
HEHEHE I am a Christi also and will be 29 in July on the 18th DH is 30 will be 31 on Jan 9 and we we have a 10 yr old and a 2 yr old.....
#73 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I am 26. The other day, dh's aunt (who is probably early-mid 40s) saw our cloth dipes and was so excited. She CDed her daughter who was born in 1978 too and she loved it. So not all older women are anti-CD.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#74 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnia
god didn't you hate that "advanced maternal age" label!

I got you beat - I am 42 and had my first (and only) child just 2 months before my 40th b-day!!! oh, and I feel every bit of it ouch.

I think a lot of older moms that cloth diapered in the 50-60's because there was no other choice did not have the tools to do it properly. I know my parents had to wash in an apt complex or laundromat and I suspect that it did not do a good job as my mom tells stories of never ending diaper rashes and boiling diapers on the stove. Washers are more effective now and detergents have improved so things have changed.
I wonder if most of them were bleaching and wet pailing too which could take a lot of the fun out of it for me lol.

edited to add that I remembed the moon landing - we set up the tv in the living room and my mom kept us up for it so we could tell our grandchildren one day!

ELizabeth
I remember the moon landing

My last child was born 2mo before my 41st bday and I feel it too (heck, I was feeling "it" long before I got pg w/ him )

DH and I were both CDd. MIL remembers the arguments when sposies came out about how they would be more hygenic and healthier. Of course that argument was used to sway moms to formula feed (raise your baby "the scientific way") by the 50s. My mom was something of a freak b/c she did natural childbirth at a time when moms were generally doing twilight birthing (mom knocked out, dr delivered baby and let mom see after she woke up out of anesthesia), and she bf when the "science" was encouraging moms to formula feed, etc.

If you live long enough, the "science" of raising babies will change and amaze you, eh? Heck, the rules are different now from when 9yo was born and side sleeping was all the rage (before the "back to sleep" campaign).

Anyway, I see we have 4 votes for the "young" 40s crowd
#75 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 PM

15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart
I'm 26. I started cding when I was 22.

I will now start taking guesses at how old I was when I had my first, lol.

Michelle

ETA: I think I look pretty crunchy. I've been told I "look the part". And I guess I am the odd one out, almost everyone I know irl cds and baby wears and doesn't vax and bfs (extended and tandem...)etc
#76 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym72
15?

Nope...go the other way...

#77 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 PM

Wow everyone is a lot younger then I thought...even those that run their own WAH Businesses wow kudos to you. I can not even imagine but I wish I had some sort of talent to market.

I am 26 and look about 12 on my bad days lol
My BF is 34 so when we are out together at least I don`t have the finger waging.(sp)

When I am alone with our son or when I was pregnant, I have/had lots of people come up to me and try and figure out if I am married or if the baby has a father in his life...really odd tp be judged by a stranger/co-worker like that.

Most people in public settings don`t notice that we CD which drives me nuts...we go to a swim class twice a week and I always make sure he is wearing his cutest dipes but no one says a word sigh
I do have some IRL people in a Mom and Baby group that CD so a little exhange is a given but not like here.

Some of friends that have babies are real supportive and I think were the circumtances different for them would CD at least prefolds and covers.
Other friends roll their eyes...one could not believe that I ordered a dipe all the way from Alberta (Valor Kids)...like I can get that kind of diaper at any corner store or something. Won`t tell her I order from the US a lot...next time I will just say Walmart and see if she reacts. lol

My landlady who is 45 (my mothers age BTW) CD her first three years ago and I hope that she is with her newest baby. My landlord said the other day ohh its a lot of intense work yumm no how hard is it to throw a load in the washer and dryer...he mentioned wet pails etc. I just said oh we don`t do that it would be too messy ,wish I would have said more. Geesh I hate to think of whats happening to the beautiful GMAR prefitted I gave them!!!!

Most people think we do it for the money umm nope I do it because I love it.
#78 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
16?

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#79 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
18?
#80 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:10 PM

I am in the most populated group at this point... I am 28, started CDing when I was 26 (when Maxi was born).

When I hear my self say I am 28 I think "Am I that old?!" because most of the time I feel 16.

I am pretty crunch (especially being born in the mid 70's to a semi hippy who was a major AP mama) but I dont think I look it at all -- I dont think anyone would ever guess by looking at me how crunchy I am.

Here is a pic from last night while we were watching the eclipse (I am in my pjs ):

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAN2jNw3cMmzLyg

Oh and there is one of Maxi because he is just SO darn cute!
#81 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Am I the only one that had to stop and think, "hmm, how Old AM I?"

preggo brain...
#82 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers
This is what a old semi crunchy woman looks like
me
You look 28!!! WOW! I cannot believe you are entering into for 4th decade of life experience You look very good. If that is what crunchy and 40 looks like, I am there

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#83 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:38 PM

I just turned 24 a couple weeks ago. I feel like I'm still 18, though
#84 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
Funny, I never think of myself as old, but I guess compared to this crowd 37 is ancient. I am a child of the 60's!!!!! Don't know if I look crunchy?
Holy cow, you could be Daisy Fuentes! You look very good for your age! I would put it at late 20s, but if you SAY you are 37 I guess
we will believe you :LOL

And 37 is not old. 50 is middle aged so 37 is still in the young years

Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#85 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:49 PM

I'm 39 and started cding with my first when I was 23. I don't think cding is really age specific. I've noticed younger and older moms cding over the years. There seems to be those who refuse to on either end and those who wouldn't do it any other way too.
#86 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliamama
I'm 30.

I don't know what a CD mama is supposed to look like, either --- but I look like this.
My unofficial research has shown that CD makes mamas look GOOD! And keeps them Young. You are another perfect speciman You look like all the California girls I went to school with And that is good!!

Quote:
This thread goes to show you that perception is everything!! We perceive each others' posts and insights based on words - and sometimes when we find out age, we discover that our perception is different from what we would have thought if we knew the person's age when they posted. Funny! (I also cannot believe SEEPAE is 18......ummm, she's waaaaay smarter and more articulate than I was at 18 and than I am now! You go girl!!)
ITA. I was quite shocked--ok floored--to read SEEPAE is 18 and loving-my-babies is 20!?!!? WHAT?!? Klothos young too? AUGUSTLIA TOO?!!?!!?

My whole sense of the world has been thrown into upheavel

I seriously am shocked!!! SHOCKED!! And yes perception is everything!!!!

#87 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
20?
#88 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:57 PM

Suddenly feeling old at 31.
#89 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And I am almost always surprised to see mamas who use cloth and how "normal" they look (since CLEARLY we are NOT normal, right???!!!) :
: I think I am normal for the CD world---which should be the norm and will be one day

Quote:
Here's what I look like (I hope, I'm not very good at this at all):
http://homepage.mac.com/pianopad/PhotoAlbum78.html

Did that work, lol?
You need a password You can disable it or move it to another temp page on your MAC site

#90 of 134 Old 10-28-2004, 02:02 PM

31 here

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page