Ever hear of a hemp allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-14-2004, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is that even possible? I googled it but found nada. But, everytime you google hemp, you get a bunch of stoner stuff. . ANyhow, Joey has senstivie skin(exczema), and I notice that everytime he is in hemp he has some redness! Could it be an allergy?
#2 of 11 Old 11-14-2004, 09:52 PM

Could be an allergy. Try putting a layer of cotton b/t him and the hemp. I have a few online friends whose babes are sensitive to hemp and have to do this.
#3 of 11 Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 PM

I don't think so... I am pretty sure natural fibers are hypoallergenic... Anyone know for sure?

I would guess detergent buildup... have you strip washed lately?

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#4 of 11 Old 11-15-2004, 01:46 PM

yes babies can have a sensitivity to natural fibers. Some will say it's whatever it's treated with and so on. Who knows? Some will also say it's a matter of the length of fibers or the texture. So for example, you may not have a problem with cotton generally speaking but then do have a problem with cotton flannel. This is also why some find problems with some wool and not other wool.

We have to top hemp with cotton or we end up with redness/rashes.

Sometimes though it can be a matter of not having prewashed it enough and it may get better after the hemp is "broken in" more.

It could also be a detergent situation.

But it's absolutely possible to be sensitive to any natural fiber. And I think that often these things pop up in diapering issues because of the situation of having the fabric against the genitals with urine, etc.
#5 of 11 Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 PM

Someone that runs this Yahoo group that I belong to is allergic to hemp. She says her hands burn and blister whenever she cuts or sews with hemp.
#6 of 11 Old 11-15-2004, 02:32 PM

Oh no, I have noticed that when ds wears his firefly sleeptight.I sure hope not- but what is it suppossed to look like?His skin is slightly red and a little bumpy -but then dissapears after I take that morning diaper off. I just thought it was from being in the same diaper for a few hours.I like hemp

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#7 of 11 Old 11-15-2004, 02:42 PM

There was a poster here, before, who's son had a wicked hemp allergy for a while.
#8 of 11 Old 11-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned

I co op hemp and organic cotton. In my experience they are not allergic to the hemp neccisarily, but no hemp being made right now is so hypoallergenic. It is processed using harsh chemicals and is blended with conventional cotton crops that are full of pesticides. The real benifit of hemp is that it is sustainable. Not that it is so healthy for you. The people that are allergic to wool and hemp are really just sensitive to chemical. Also known as Multipul Chemical Sensitivities. This is a really common problem especially in children. You will find information on this in chats for people with MCS. Hope this info helped.
#9 of 11 Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 PM

My daughter had a reaction every time she wore hemp (red bumpy rash). I finally got rid of our hemp diapers because I was so tired of it. She does have sensitive skin but doesn't get reactions like this except when wearing hemp.
#10 of 11 Old 11-16-2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmeadows78
I co op hemp and organic cotton. In my experience they are not allergic to the hemp neccisarily, but no hemp being made right now is so hypoallergenic. It is processed using harsh chemicals and is blended with conventional cotton crops that are full of pesticides. The real benifit of hemp is that it is sustainable. Not that it is so healthy for you. The people that are allergic to wool and hemp are really just sensitive to chemical. Also known as Multipul Chemical Sensitivities. This is a really common problem especially in children. You will find information on this in chats for people with MCS. Hope this info helped.
Actually the hemp at hemptraders is made with organic cotton now. Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#11 of 11 Old 11-16-2004, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGalHeidi
Is that even possible? Could it be an allergy?
I have a friend who is allergic to the entire hemp plant, no matter what form it's in. So yes, it's possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page