Prefold problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2004, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been using prefolds for weeks now and I still am having issues. I've had so many leaks on my wool

I'm using a snappi and the jellyroll fold. I thought it was supposed to hold in the BF poops. I'm trying to get it as tight as I can but I'm still getting leaks. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Ok

I wonder if its body type sometimes, or poop styles... I've been using PFs for 8mo w/o leaks (I honestly don't remember a single leak, even with explosive bf poop).

Where is it leaking? legs? back? Does it start tight and then slip? How snug are the covers?

Don't really know how to help, but those're the questions I'd start with.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:59 AM

Well, I always had leaks onto the covers in the newborn stage. My DS's poops were just explosive....so there was nothing holding it in!

I wish I had more advice for you than that! It is why we are planning on using prefolds with our PUL covers and fitteds with wool on the new baby.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:54 PM

We had leaks until we moved over to pins! Yes, I know, but it is the only way to get a real good snug fit in the legs, IMO, and it does take some practice! We used the newspaper fold. I flared out the legs before folding it up, and after pinning, I made sure the outer edges on the leg sides were not tucked in. I tucked the legs in, but kept the edges flat against the leg. So, when you flare out the sides before folding up, make sure the sides are laying flat against the thighs. I wish I could explain this better-look at all the newspaper folding and look at the "poo pocket" they speak of. For me, I tried to get that pocket as open as I could, so tucking the legs in or not flaring the sides out would overlap that pocket. Next time, when you have a poop, take the diaper off and try to keep it in the same shape to see where the leaks are happening. When I did this, I found that the poo was rolling off the sides that were tucked in, so that is why I started to flare them out!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 AM

I'm a "fitteds gal" who plays with PFs. on occassion
I bought pins mostly because I was considering taking a PF picture and I thought it would be cute.... I got PRETTY good at the snappi but I always saw gaps.

Then I tried pins... It really IS easier to get a good fit
Old 11-27-2004, 01:49 AM

Oooh...chiming in. Another pin lover! You really should try them. They are a bit tricky at first. But with practice they become second-nature!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 PM

I LOVE pins, too. I've gotten really good at pinning and it is second nature now. Snappis are hard for me for some reason. Never get a good fit but then I haven't used the snappi much because I get discouraged with it. :

I would try pins with the jellyroll and see if that helps. I use the fold where you twist it between the legs (can't think what it's called). It's working really well for me.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:05 AM

i have the same problem, but the poop always ride up the back, not out the legs. So i think in my case, it's just the way Samuel poops!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:23 AM

If the poop escapes out the back you probably need to size up
Old 11-28-2004, 12:30 AM

I also think it is the way they poop. Some babies have expolosive poop. My first always leaked on the covers, but my others didn't.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:05 AM

Another pin lover here! We use prefolds during the day when we are at home and I love the jellyroll fold and I've never had a leak with a Snappi but it really does fit better with pins. I've noticed with a snappi it fits nice and tight at the waist and hips but with pins it seems to have a nicer fit at the legs. And once you get the hang of pins it's really not that hard.

User Tag List