How long do you go between changes? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 11-26-2004, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are battling a rash that looks like it wants to come back, so I check constantly and change him almost every hour or so! Atleast 6-10 times a day if not more. I do laundry every day or every other day. Usually, a rash is prevented by upping the changes. My sis has her babe in sposies. Just for kicks, I asked her how many times a day she changed him. 2-3. Yes, 2-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not like they pee less in a sposie. They still sit in it. Gross.
#32 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 12:03 AM

I agree that babies need to be changed just as frequently whether they are wearing cloth or disposable diapers.

I change my 8mo DS every 2-3 hours or earlier if he poops. I may go longer if we've had a car ride or he's in the middle of a nap. I use CD's and a fleece liner, which wicks away moisture, so he's comfortable and rash free. I don't change him at night, but add an extra fleece covered liner.

We play "Attack of the Killer Baby" (he grabs my hair and I kiss him up) when I change his diaper, so we both enjoy it. But, he had GERD early on, so he hated lying on his back when he was younger and preferred sitting in a dirty diaper as opposed to that. (He'd scream when he was on his back.... glad those days are over!)

2-3 hours is a good balance - frequent enough but not too much. Baby is also diaper rash free. I try and make sure he gets "air time" as well, which is important for avoiding/curing diaper rash.
#33 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
The whole point is that would YOU want to be sitting in your own waste, with pee soaked cloth between your legs for quite awhile?
That's what I think too. In the beginning I did not even know that some ppl go by time.

I changed my kids when they peed or pooed. With CD's it was easy to spot too, I rarely used covers.

I also practiced EC, so I did not deal much with wet/dirty diapers

During a night is a different story - I would not wake them up to change. After my kids were a few months old most of the time I was able to "catch" them first thing in the morning and bring them to go "potty"
#34 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 AM

I change at least every 2 hrs sometimes a few extra times in a day.. On average we go through about 10 diapers in a day but my DD sleeps in her night time diaper for 12 hrs. It also bothers me that pople have the "disposable" mentality. My inlaws made a comment when I said we were going the cloth route because we go through roughly 10-12 diapers a day and w/ sposies that would mean a pack ever 4 days!!! They were like you change her that many times? Why? That shocks me that ppl let there babies sit in their pee for so long!!!

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#35 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 12:42 AM

Hmmm...this is interesting to me...let's just remember that everyone's kid's temperment and personal situation is different. It takes me about 10-12 minutes (if it goes well and I don't have too many crawl offs/death rolls) to change the dipe, put on my snapping cover, and put back on their pants. I've timed it--maybe I'm slow. Also, my two have reflux (hate their backs), and just have temperments that don't go well with lying in one place--interesting/forbidden items have been tried! Anyway, so each change takes 20-24 minutes (for two boys) and I change twice between each nap--once when they wake, once before they go back down--so that is 40-48 minutes. They can only tolerate about 2 hours of being awake before they are ready for a nap--so I am spending about 1/2 my time with them changing dipes (not counting poop ones, which are extra usually and which take longer). And this is changing about every two hours...if I changed with every pee I would be spending just about all my time with them wrestling them for changes. I don't think this is in their best interest. And, they seem comfortable and are completely rash free (we use wool maybe that is why). I guess most of you don't seem this way and maybe I'm just hormonal right now but the tone of some of these posts seems a little judgemental--please keep in mind that your situation might be right for you and your angels but that doesn't make it best for everyone (or make those who do it differently wrong).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#36 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 01:24 AM

Jack gets changed about every hour or when I notice he's wet, which ever comes first. But he is a heavy wetter and I hate the thought of not changing him often. He hate diaper changes though so when he sees me coming he crawls the other way! Little bugger! :LOL There have been a few days in the summer when we are coverless that I changed him 3 times in 1 hour!

Sara gets changed probably ever 2 - 2 1/2 hours. But she's toddler and tends to hold it all in for one big pee. There are times I've gone to change her after 3 hours and her diaper is still bone dry, then I just change it because I'm sick of looking at the same diaper.
#37 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 03:51 AM

we cahnge about every 2 hours for both boys. my boys are 3 and 9 months. and of course for poops. but they both go for about 8+ hours at night in their cds
its diffuclt cuz somedays they are good and i could change them every time they are wet and other das its a pain in the bum as the both roon into the other room they minute they see a new diaper in my hand lol.
#38 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori810
I am almost equally amazed at the idea of changing 16-24 diapers a day. Honestly, my life would be pretty darn unenjoyable if I changed her that often. ...we have this little thing called "life" that gets in the way of that. :
I don't go through 16-24 dipes per day--more like 10 during the day and 4 at night (luckily my DS doesn't wake up in our family bed if I swap his diaper out for a clean one--I've changed him wihle sleeping since he was a newborn so maybe he's just used to what his silly mommy does to him while he sleeps--it actually settles him down to have the wet diaper removed and feel his mother's hands putting on a clean one since he's so familiar with the routine, if I would leave the wet one on he'd just toss& turn and fuss in his sleep, so this cures that and I have a stack of nighttime diapers within arm's reach of where I sleep) But back to our daytime routine, we have a life, and I don't spend most of our time changing diapers, even though he goes through roughly one per hour, on average. I use coverless fitteds at home so I just grab a new diaper and an interesting object, lay him down wherever he is, hand him the toy, rip off old fitted, snap on new fitted, and it's all over in under a minute. I usually don't wipe for these changes if I've caught a pee right away and his diaper isn't soaked or anything. Of course when we go out, with his snowsuit and everything for Finland I only change him if we're going somewhere nice that I can change him, not just to the store and back, so he may end up in the same diaper for 3 hours while I run errand. This happens a few times per week and I just add doublers so the diaper doesn't get drenched.

So 10 per day x 1 minute per change = 10 minutes max per day changing diapers. Yeah, we still have a life.
#39 of 43 Old 11-27-2004, 04:38 AM

I change when she is wet so sometimes that means 12 times a day, other days less. She also gets changed when she wakes up in the night...I think probably because I've always done it she doesn't fuss or wake up fully.

I still have a life too... :LOL

mum to a crew...
#40 of 43 Old 12-01-2004, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace
Hmmm...this is interesting to me...I'm slow. Also, my two have reflux (hate their backs), and just have temperments that don't go well with lying in one place--interesting/forbidden items have been tried! And this is changing about every two hours...if I changed with every pee I would be spending just about all my time with them wrestling them for changes. I don't think this is in their best interest. And, they seem comfortable and are completely rash free (we use wool maybe that is why). I guess most of you don't seem this way and maybe I'm just hormonal right now but the tone of some of these posts seems a little judgemental--please keep in mind that your situation might be right for you and your angels but that doesn't make it best for everyone (or make those who do it differently wrong).
sbgrace, I totally empathize with you!!! My DS had acid reflux and it was painful for him to get his diaper changed as a newborn. So, I went a long time between diaper changes. He did get a bad rash at one time as a result, but again, I felt like I had to triage a bad situation. I couldn't bear to have my son screaming in pain during a diaper change.

I also agree that folks can get a bit self-righteous about the diaper change thing. My son is not bothered in the least about sitting in a poopy diaper, which is one of the reasons I didn't change him as much. I hope your 2 grow out of the reflux as mine has. Now, yes, I can change my son every 2 hours. But I've been on the other, poopy side, and there's good reasons for that, as you so eloquently stated it.

Now, my son is acid reflux and diaper rash free! PTL!
#41 of 43 Old 12-01-2004, 09:34 PM

Chloe probably gets changed, on average, every 1.5 to 2.5 hours - definitely "as needed". She does make it straight though the night in the same dipe though.
#42 of 43 Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 PM

I've always been in the "change them right away when they wet" camp.

My first had reflux, which was a challange. Sometimes I would cringe at the thought of changing him again, and he pooped a lot. As a newborn, I changed him every 15 minutes sometimes. I learned to do it while nursing.... change with one hand (if it was only pee). ONe thing that helped us, and I have to mention it so that maybe it can help somebody else, is that I made his changing table mat slanted. That way he wasn't lying flat on his back... he was slanted up a bit. It made diaper changes much easier. I kept his changing mat on the floor so that I didn't freak out worrying that he would fall the moment I blinked. New moms worry enough as it is.

Emily hated diaper changes too, so I did EC with her. That did help greatly. I still changed a lot of diapers, though. I did the nursing change with her a lot too in the early days.

Emily woke up a few times when I first started changing her at night, but soon got used to it. It didnt' take long for her to associate me changing her in her sleep (we co-sleep) with being dry again. She always started squirming and tossing when she peed at night.

Anyway.... we always went coverless at home, and usually when out, so it's not hard to tell right away when she pees. Emily started telling me right when she peed too, or right when she was going to pee. She wouldn't go to the potty, but would grab herself and say "pee pee" just before going. This started at about 18 months. I've always told her that she pee peed or poo pood so that she understood what it was.

To answer your question.... 5 hours is way too long for a baby to go between changes. Can you imagine the little gel beads that are on that baby's butt? Ewww! And the cold damp feeling of a wet diaper.... I wrapped one around my arm to see, and it feels damp and cold when compressed then released. Yuck! I know somebody who changes twice a day with sposies, and the baby tends to always have a rash. It's really nasty and I can smell it. She smells like urine to me. I just can't imagine that.

Teri
#43 of 43 Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 PM

Cloth: when she is wet.

I used to work at a daycare and all of those babies were in disposables. I changed at 10:00 am (parents dropped off kids at 7am), at 12:30 pm and at 3:30 pm. I also changed them right before mom and dad showed up (we knew parents schedule). If I knew that they were poopy I changed immediately. If they told me they were wet, I changed them ASAP. If it was an infant (under 5 mos) I changed after every feeding or when wet or dirty. If the baby had a rash, I was checking every hour for wet or dirty diapers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page