Red, raised, weepy, painful rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2004, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Ds keeps getting this same rash and it is terrible. It is red, raised, sort of bumpy, shiny, and weepy. It is obviously very painful for him. It only comes where his poop hits him in the 3 minutes before he gets changed (i.e., in a stripe down either side of his crack and maybe a little bit around his balls if it was a big poop.) Also, I cannot put any treatment cream on it, of any type. It will just make it redder. The only thing that makes it go away is frequent baths, no creams or balms, and sposies. : Needless to say, I don't want to use sposies.

I have some theories:

1. It is from "people" food (he is only 8 months and occasionally tastes our food).

2. It is from my dipe washing routine, except I rinse 4 times or until there are no bubbles. Maybe detergent enzymes?

3. His skin is just too sensitive for any cloth.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry you're going through this! Do you make your own wipe solution? I find that my son gets red around his anus if I don't wipe about every other diaper change (so maybe every 2 hours) of the time with wipe solution that has essential oils in it (TTO, Lavender) that are antimicrobial and antifungal. He only poops every 2 days or so, so I have to assume that little tiny amounts of poo come out with farts and irritate his anus, so I have to really clean the area every few hours with my wipe solution. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

No, we just use plain water, b/c any essential oil really hurts his bum in the same way. I wipe with warm water every time and pat dry.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:05 PM

We've gotten that quite often actually. After three years of me feeling like it must be the diapers, wash routine etc etc etc.. we figured it out.

My dd was on pumped breastmilk for the first 8 months of her life, then was switched to formula for my medical reasons.. that that time, she started getting rashes. We switched formulas a few times and they always cleared up in a reasonable amout of time. She's been on cows milk for some time now at almost three years old.. the first time on whole milk.. and she got a major rash every time she pooped. Then, on 2% milk and the rashes went away. It tooks us a long time to figure it down ot the milk. Then, just recently, she got another rash that looked very much like blisters that would break, puss, bleed.. it was heartbreaking. I did EVERYTHING I could think of.. used every cream.. tried yeast creams, took her to the doctor etc..

Then, one night, we were out of her 2% milk, so I gave her some of my own fat free milk .. and by morning, her rash was no longer hurting her.. and within three days it was cleared up completely.

So, for us, it was a food allergy. I don't find hard cheese to bother her..but yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk do... even lactose free milk. Other things we've noticed.. chef boyardee stuff gives her an immediate rashe even though regular marinara sauces don't bother her at all.

I don't know what kind of milk your little guy is on, but if he's still on breastmilk, look at your own intake of things like milk or yogurt first. It might not be a food allergy, but that has been our experience and I feel horrible that it took me so long to figure it out each time.

Other than that, i can recommend a cream called triple paste. It's over the counter but you usually still have to ask the pharmacist for it. It's got white lanolin, zinc etc etc in it and is a wonderful barrier cream. It kept the pee and poop off my dd's skin so the pee didn't hurt her and the poo didn't make the rash worse. Use a liner with it though.. it's hard to get out of diapers.

Good luck!!

Amber
Old 11-27-2004, 02:29 PM

My dd gets that sometimes. She has GI problems including producing too much acid. I can always tell when she needs to increase her meds after a growth spurt because she gets that when she poops.

Try giving your baby about 1/2 teaspoon Maalox Max or Mylanta before feeding and see if the rash goes away. If not then it's probably allergies, not acid. The acid rash is common with teething or if the system has been upset by a virus.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-27-2004, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

We have triple paste. It worked when he was little and still in sposies for normal rash. This rash, it makes worse.

Food issues - this could be true, as the most recent rash was preceded by pumpkin soup, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce!

Hmmm, the acid idea - that intrigues me. He is teething a lot, and used to have major reflux issues.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2004, 04:41 PM

It could be yeast . . . maybe treat it as a yeast rash and see what happens.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 11-27-2004, 06:04 PM

Sounds like yeast! I'd also recommend using tea tree oil & lavender in a wipe solution.
And in my experience- disposables may work better for a short period of time- but then it gets WAY worse!
Good luck mama!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

User Tag List