wise mommas needed for newborn stash ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My brain is fuzzy. I don't remember how many dipes we went through when we were teeny tiny.
And now my good friend is about to have a little girl. She is excited about cloth! Woo-hoo and I want to set her up with some cute super functional dipes.
Throw me your ideas mommas! Still trying to sell dad on the idea of cloth so user-friendly is great to start. I used fuzzi bunz, something like a bummis wrap, and prefolds so I'm not very versed in the other neat diapers.
Was thinking of kissaluvs as they look super soft....and how many is a good newborn stash? Would like to wash every other day and budget is an issue.
#2 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 03:35 AM

Hmmm. I went through about 12 dipes a day when my kids were newborns. Is she going to BF? I think BF babes poop more. I think the kissaluvs would be economical for fitteds. You might find some package deals. Proraps would be my choice for covers, esp for BF babes and they are economical. HTH some.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 03:41 AM

ITA the proraps for the NB stage (we used ours for about the 1st 3 wks or so) I'd say get at least 36 dipes total wash every other day. We went through more like 15-18 or so a day in the early days...he poo'd a LOT! I really thought PF's were the easiest for the NB stage...although kissaluvs 0 were soooo cute!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#4 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 AM

I agree with PP that prefolds and wraps/covers are easiest and most economical for the NB stage. We started out with a dozen kissaluvz 0 but switched to just preemie prefolds and proraps very soon as DH hated to do snaps on those tiny diapers! We just lay the prefolds in the wrap and almost never got any leak.
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 10:30 AM

We have a 3 week old and have been CDing since she was 3 days old. I tried to start out economically- though it's hard with so many cute things available! I started with 2 dozen UBIPFs. The preemie samples i had worked for about 1 day. I had 2 nb proraps but I'd skip those and go right to smalls- just fold down the belly button area until the cord stump falls off. I also have 6 Kissaluv 0s. I found that the unbleached ran much smaller than the colors so I'd stick with the colors. There's so much second-hand (sometimes unused) EUC stuff out there- it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
ETA: I wash about every other day.
#6 of 6 Old 12-02-2004, 10:47 AM

My daughter is 2 weeks old, and we've been using Kissaluv 0's with mostly Bummi SWW covers. I love these diapers, they are really easy to use, but might not be the best choice on a budget - even if you get seconds they're about $80 per dozen. We go through about 16 diapers per day (bf poop!) right now.
Prefolds can be a little intimidating to the newbie, but they can't be beat for price. Could you offer your help on teaching folds and other tips so they don't get discouraged and give up right away?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page