an Ethical question concerning diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's say, you are in with a particular diaper. But, they're really hard to get your grubby paws on one. You'd buy a whole lot of them, if they were available though. Would it be unethical to copy the diaper and make more of your own?? I'm not talking about to sell or anything, but just for yourself. I'm just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this topic.
#2 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:07 PM

I don't think so, if they're for your own use. Now if you were to go into business selling knockoff hyena dipes, to me that's a big no-no. But just for you, go for it! I wish I could copy some of the dipes I have by WAHMs that are no longer around but I can't sew that well.
#3 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:08 PM

I think if you are making it just for you then its cool.
#4 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Banned

I agree totaly. You will save money and get what you want. That is not an ethical thing!
#5 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:12 PM

I would think it is fine. When you are done with them you can fairy them.
#6 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:12 PM

Go for it.
#7 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM

yeah I think its fine... just like its ok to copy a CD to tape or another CD for personal use... there's nothing wrong with that

plus you could alter it a little to fit even better if you like
#8 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:28 PM

I wish there were more home patterns out there for those Hyena dipes Wouldn't that be great!!!
#9 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:30 PM

I agree with all the other posters. As long as they are for your own use, it's all good
#10 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 PM

I am envisioning a seedy little online store with knock-off hyena dipes -- Albee and Peewee Pie... :

If they are just for your own use, go for it, mama! I think that's awesome!

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#11 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:34 PM

Oooh, oooh... SECOND Class Baby (or would that be Coach Baby?)...

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#12 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:53 PM

faux moon baby gear

fool sheep soakers
#13 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster_sk
I am envisioning a seedy little online store with knock-off hyena dipes -- Albee and Peewee Pie... :

:LOL
#14 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 06:21 PM

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#15 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 07:30 PM

#16 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 PM

lazy bee hive:LOL
pillbaby (fuzbaby)

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#17 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 08:00 PM

Lol!!!!
#18 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 PM

if you copy it those could be just famous last words that they would only be for you. I dunno, I just think if you are copying something you should get the persmission of the diaper owner of that design first. I really do not feel it is ethical otherwise.
#19 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Banned

I really don't see how it could be a loss for the WAHM if you copied diapers and used them for only yourself. Or even if you GAVE a couple to friends, not telling them whose design it was. i suppose you could ask the WAHM if it was ok, but i can't think why it would really be necessary, particualry if you weren't going around bragging about it and telling everybody surreptitiously.
#20 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster_sk

:LOL

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#21 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you were only making them for yourself who would know (or care?). Now if you get really good and decide to go wahm, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

Fernandfaerie.com has a nice diaper pattern. There are a few other new ones, but i"ll need to rack my brain to think of them. Oh, Verybaby is fantastic. I love those diapers!
#22 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithHannahsHeart
I really don't see how it could be a loss for the WAHM if you copied diapers and used them for only yourself. Or even if you GAVE a couple to friends, not telling them whose design it was. i suppose you could ask the WAHM if it was ok, but i can't think why it would really be necessary, particualry if you weren't going around bragging about it and telling everybody surreptitiously.
It is a loss for the wahm because if she is to make copies then she does not order them from that wahm thus a loss for the wahm. Also even if she just uses them for herself, eventually she will need to either sell them or give them away etc. Then how do you explain these copies? Also it is the principal behind the whole thing. When you copy a trademarked item it is against the law unless you have received permission to do so. It is also dishonest and I personally would not appreciate someone copying anything I made even if it was for their own use. There are tons of patterns out there that can be bought, why copy?
#23 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 10:41 PM

Just to clarify it is not agaisnt the law to copy for personal non-retail use. now if a person was to copy a dipe and sell it that would not be legal as trademarks are protected as part of the law of unfair competition. Which means that someone copying a product and selling it causes loss of revenue and makes it harder for this person to sell their product. This covers both registered trademarked products and non. Now if a person was to make a knock for personal use and sell it as the reall thing that would be bad. But all in all I don't think it is unethical to make your self a diaper.
#24 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 10:42 PM

Kathleen, she *did* say why she would copy rather than buy - she's got a diaper she loves, it CANNOT be obtained by buying, and there's no pattern available. IMO, if you know how to sew, and know how to "reverse engineer" a pattern, and don't intend to sell them, it's all good.
#25 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama
Kathleen, she *did* say why she would copy rather than buy - she's got a diaper she loves, it CANNOT be obtained by buying, and there's no pattern available. IMO, if you know how to sew, and know how to "reverse engineer" a pattern, and don't intend to sell them, it's all good.
I understand your point of view but then what about the wahm in question? Does it mean she loses a sale and possibly a few others if the poster makes these diapers for herself. I do not know but it would bother me to lose a sale to someone making copies. Gosh, do you think I am being defensive? A copy is a copy right?

I suppose if a person had no money and they were not obtainable for that reason then they could make something similar to said wahms diaper but to make a complete exact copy still seems wrong to me. I went away for awhile and really thought about this from every stand point I could imagine. I just do not think it is right unless you change several things about the wahms diaper to make it something completely different.
#26 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 11:12 PM

I really don't see it as unethical, especially if there is a supply shortage. Doesn't everyone who sews copy other peoples stuff for they're own use to some extent? I think thats how I learned to sew things in the first place. You might make one or two of the diapers you love and then realize that if you changed them a little they'd be so much better.

I do believe the above as long as its for personal use. I also think if people ask about where your diapers are from you should say, "I made them but they're based on such-a-such a diaper". I'm also not sure about making them for friends even as gifts, then maybe I would talk to the original designer or tell the person if they would like more of them to look into getting the original.
#27 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 11:15 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with copying a dipe that you're only going to use on your dc. That said, I would give my right arm for a few old MollyTogs now that she's out of biz and there is no one making them now. I would beg my mom to take them apart and try to make a similar dipe- they fit my dd's SO well!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#28 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 11:15 PM

My take, FWIW, copying ANYTHING is unethical. The WAHM spent lots of time, money and effort working on that "special" pattern and that pattern has made her the saught after diaper artist that she has become. Do what you wish I guess, no one will find out as long as you don't take pictures or sell them (and I'm pretty positive you are not the first to think or do this) but karma is all I keep thinking. As a WAHM, I would be pretty peev'd if I found out someone copied my ORIGINAL and wonderful (if I do say so myself) designs. There are ALWAYS ways to obtain hard to find diapers. Friends passing them along, Ebay, WAHMChicks, TP, or just stockings. It's just a diaper and I think people get a little too carried away sometimes. By carried away I mean *I* feel copying is not right.
#29 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM

and to add... no matter how much you copy, chances are you won't get it exactly the same so what's the point?
#30 of 69 Old 12-04-2004, 11:46 PM

[QUOTE=foster_sk]I am envisioning a seedy little online store with knock-off hyena dipes -- Albee and Peewee Pie... :

Quote:
If they are just for your own use, go for it, mama! I think that's awesome!

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page