Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS cant wear fitteds that are serged
#63 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok....Lemme do some explaining.

I think most of the issue for me is rashes moreso than fit. If my son never got a rash, than I think I could manage with a diaper that didnt fit as well as my fav diaper. I dont feel I should have to explain myself but I will.

I can use prefolds, but my son ONLY fits into Infant Size (yes, still at 16 months) and those are NOT absorbant enough to hold one of my sons pees (he doesnt pee often but pees a river when he does), also he tends to get rashes along his legs and penis area as prefolds are not soft enough.

My son has a SHORT rise yet a medium sized waist and thighs. I could name specific diapers, non-hyena and hyena that dont work for him that Ive tried hoping they would but Id be afraid Im hurting someones feelings. The problem with this situation is Size Medium diapers are too high in the rise and cause the diaper to go over the belly button which doesnt allow him to sit OR causes the bottom of the diaper to droop causing the legs to gape and not secure around his thighs which allows for major leakage. In Size Small diapers, the rise is perfect but it barely fits aroung his waist and thighs without giving rashes, etc.

Ok, so now Ive narrowed down the fit but what about his rash problems. He needs a diaper that makes sure he feels dry to touch or he gets major rashes. Microfleece is the best but 90% of the diapers I tried w/microfleece tend to pill after one wash causing them to not be so soft anymore and again causing rashes. You should have seen last weeks rash on his penis. It was red raw and swollen to the max.

So, what I found is FCB provides a high enough rise to provide room to grow yet fits him accordingly now so that there is NO drooping or sitting issues. The inside of the diaper has a micro that DOES NOT pill barely at all, remains soft on his skin, as well as keeping him dry. The fit works perfect and he doesnt get rashes. If you know of a diaper that works this way, AGAIN, lemme know, as you dont know how hard its been to begin looking for a uniform stash of FCB, phew, and Id love a second alternative.

Phew, now we are WAY O/T but you asked!
#64 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM

It is too tedious to go back 4 pages to quote, but I am responding to the comment that the inflated prices of so called hyena diapers eliminate part of the diapering population from be able to use "good quality" diapers.

I'm here to tell you Mamas and I won't name specifics, but not all "hyena" diapers are well made. On more than one occasion I have seen a hyena diaper fall apart, while it's much less expensive counterpart that came from instock that is always available, is like a work horse and beautiful to boot.

It is all too common around here to create a hyena diaper. Oh, you know, we have seen it happen time and time again. All the talk, all the hype, all the stalking, and then, well you know the stories.

So really, don't hold true to a concept that is fiction. You can buy good quality diapers at all prices.

And in addition, if your baby has certain issues, be it fit or rashes, there are wonderful WAHMs out there that will sew exactly to your specifications. So really, don't tell me its FCB or disposables.
#65 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
DS cant wear fitteds that are serged
So are windpro AIOs not serged?
#66 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom
So are windpro AIOs not serged?
yes here is where it is tricky, AIOs can be serged, fitteds can not. When he pees in the fitted the moisture automatically makes it to the serged edges which is where his rash is located in some areas, in turn the rash gets iritated by moisture causing it to swell, which causes it to flake and the serging rubs up against the raised flaking areas and causes "rub burns" and causes the skin to flake off. With AIOs the moisture never makes it to the edges which means the rash doesnt get iritated and the chain reaction doesnt happen, which is why it is OK to use them for AIOs only. All of this takes place in a matter of seconds. do you all need pictures to understand?
#67 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure what the fit of FCB is like, but have you tried Motherease One size? They are bound, not serged. I know there are a few brands of organic cotton that are very similar to the MEOS too, if you prefer organics.
#68 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:57 PM

This has already been covered but my opinion is that if you want the Hyena stuff, then bid enough to buy it and if you don't want to spend that much money, then buy something else. There are tons of WAHMs making tons of great diapers out there and I think with a little searching you can find a diaper that works well for you and isn't impossible to get. OR if you must have some diapers exactly like XXX brand, and you can't get them, then take one apart, make a pattern from it and make yourself some (or pay a seamstress to do it for you, you can get most diapering fabrics at places like http://diapershop.com/store.htm and you can send your diapers off to someone listed here http://diapershop.com/snapservice.htm for snaps to be put on them). I mean for your child's personal use, of course, not to sell.

I also don't have a problem with someone buying a dipe just to resell for more money. Do you feel the same way about all the people selling Gymboree on e-bay for more than they paid for it? To me it is win/win - I get what I want, they get some $$$ for providing it to me and Gymboree got what they asked for it in the first place. I don't feel sorry for the WAHM, I mean she could sell her own dipes on e-bay under an alias if she wanted to preserve her reputation as having reasonably priced dipes and we would never know. Dipes aren't hyena fodder for long, so she better get the $$$ while the getting is good, you know? I admire an entreprenurial spirit and anyway I love when hyena dipes get listed on e-bay because then I have a shot at getting them (I mean I don't spend that much anymore on dipes but there was a time when I did). I just don't have the time to stalk, so e-bay evens out the field for me a little!

XOXO
#69 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunch
So really, don't tell me it's FCB or disposables.
I totally agree, Meg. I am not buying that argument for a minute, either.
#70 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I'm not sure what the fit of FCB is like, but have you tried Motherease One size? They are bound, not serged. I know there are a few brands of organic cotton that are very similar to the MEOS too, if you prefer organics.
I have tried a few 'commecial' bound diapers which none seemed to fit him at all, but that doesnt matter now because we have been making the switch to all AIOs as to eliminate all contact with moisture on his skin as we can.
#71 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM

Don't get fresh with me, Seepae. You aren't all that much older than my daughter. :LOL

Anyway, Ben has this issue with the chafing thighs as well. I'm just trying to put this into perspective. Why does the serging not get wet on the FCB AIO? Does the windpro push the wetness back into the hemp/sherpa, therefore staying dry?
#72 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 PM

and its not "fcb or disposables" its whatever diaper I can manage to find to ease his discomfort or we will have to switch to disposables, which we cant afford. FCB is NOT the only AIO he can wear and it is not the only AIO we have, I am still in the market to try new AIOs when I find them, thats why I tried a VB but sadly it did not work at all for DS
#73 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Valor Kids can make AIOs exactly to your spec's--I should know, I just dreamed up an AIO style in my little head that from what I know, doesn't exist out there, she made it, and I'm one thrilled CDing mama. I KNOW there are other WAHMs out there who are talented sewers and can tailor to whatever you need done.
#74 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 PM

I posted recently saying that the only thing my dd could wear overnight were her FCB Nightlights- the hemp SOS which worked so well for months give her a really bad rash on her belly now at night. BUT I know that it's not likely that I'll be able to get anymore NL's, unless I get lucky and am sitting here when they stock and happen to check. The mamas here gave me great advice on a few other brands to check out- I won't stop cd'ing her at night just because the one dipe that I've found to work is not readily attainable. We'll find something else, or I'll beg one of the diaper making wahms to make something that will work. I really don't think it's reasonable to say that only one diaper will work- what would you do if for some reason you absolutely could not get those dipes anymore?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#75 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:05 PM

it doesnt get wet because its not an absorbent material that spreads out the moisture, the small area between the elastic and serged edge is 1 layer windpro 1 layer hemp and 1 layer micrfleece so it is a completely procted area from the moisture... maybe if he wore it for a few hours with a lot of pees it would get wet, but i change him hourly if not more often
#76 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
Valor Kids can make AIOs exactly to your spec's--I should know, I just dreamed up an AIO style in my little head that from what I know, doesn't exist out there, she made it, and I'm one thrilled CDing mama. I KNOW there are other WAHMs out there who are talented sewers and can tailor to whatever you need done.
yes there are! and I happen to be looking around and talking to a few WAHMs seeing if they will help me, I havent contacted Kathleen yet but have been wanting after seeing a fllece AIO on orangestarfish.com that she made.
#77 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
:

ITA with Butterflymom and this thread is completely ridiculous.
Ditto. I think it would benefit some individuals to take a step back, breathe the fresh air, enjoy their children and families, unhook from the computer and look at the things they are spending their time judging. If this is so highly troublesome to you, I think some perspective is in order.
#78 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Honestly, IMO it's about the people bidding. Unless the seller puts a high minimum bid they have no control over how high the diaper goes. I saw those El Bees on ebay when there were still no bids, I was bummed that there was no BIN as I knew that would have been my only chance. The starting bid was only 99 cents though.
#79 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Wow! Im really surprised by this thread. Now Im being judged b/c I have a son who is in massive amt of pain unless he is wearing a few certain types of diapers. That really saddens me. Do you need to bring all your stashes to my home to sample him to believe that my son DOES have sensitive skin and a body VERY hard to fit.

Also, I dunno if the disposables or FCB was directed at me, but I NEVER said anything about disposables, in fact, disposables probably would make the situation worse. All Im going for is complete comfort for my son, forgive me. Sheesh!
#80 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayloo2020
Wow! Im really surprised by this thread. Now Im being judged b/c I have a son who is in massive amt of pain unless he is wearing a few certain types of diapers. That really saddens me. Do you need to bring all your stashes to my home to sample him to believe that my son DOES have sensitive skin and a body VERY hard to fit.

Also, I dunno if the disposables or FCB was directed at me, but I NEVER said anything about disposables, in fact, disposables probably would make the situation worse. All Im going for is complete comfort for my son, forgive me. Sheesh!
I wouldn't say you are being judged because your child gets a rash. But if you expect the world to come to a halt and provide you with a lovely stash of brand new FCB at a cheap price, ain't gonna happen. If the price is driven up by demand, I guess you'd better save up and get in line if you MUST have them. But as others have said before me, I don't buy it. Make your own, use organic prefolds and change every 10 min, have a seamstress make some custom-made for you, etc. Of course there are other options. FCB hasn't been around THAT long, imagine what people did before!

And FTR, my child had an absolutely awful rash for about 5-6 months. I know the agony. We saw about 6 docs, changed our diets dramatically, and dealt with trying a million kinds of diapers. I know how tough it is. But that doesn't mean that if XYZ diaper is the only one that worked, I'd expect others' selling practices to be dictated by my situation.
#81 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:24 PM

Julia- I think you initiated an interesting discussion and it is quite unfortunate that it took on such a personal twist. It's not your fault, but it's where the thread has gone.
#82 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I think it's fine to sell dipes on ebay -- as has been said many times, no one (and this is not directed to anyone in particular) is *entitled* to a stash of their favorite dipes at any price.

Also wanted to add that www.lucyshopechest.com makes a very nice serged AIO, she does have windpro, and there's no waiting list.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#83 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori810
Julia- I think you initiated an interesting discussion and it is quite unfortunate that it took on such a personal twist. It's not your fault, but it's where the thread has gone.

#84 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
And FTR, my child had an absolutely awful rash for about 5-6 months. I know the agony. We saw about 6 docs, changed our diets dramatically, and dealt with trying a million kinds of diapers. I know how tough it is. But that doesn't mean that if XYZ diaper is the only one that worked, I'd expect others' selling practices to be dictated by my situation.
what was it? any advice? DS has had his rash for almost 6 months, look at my rash thread, is that it?????
#85 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:30 PM

This thread has been an interesting read for me, although I must confess the information is not something that hasn't already passed through my mind - all the various viewpoints, and been discussed by wahms amongst themselves ad infinitum, as well as from the consumer point of view. Thanks, Julia, for opening up a thoughtful discussion, wherever it may have lead us all!

Here's my 2c, or 2.00, depending upon how lengthy my post gets, here.

From the wahm standpoint (or, should I say, from a wahm's standpoint, since I neither speak for other wahms, nor would I ever presume to do so).

1. If I make a diaper or knit item, or a left-handed thingamabob, and someone buys it from me and re-sells it immediately on eBay at twice the price or more:

(a) I would immediately have a passing emotional reaction that 'hey, that wasn't fair', which is really just evidence that I have felt I missed an opportunity to improve my own financial situation, from the work I did myself; I have to remember that it's a business I run in a capitalist market, not a personal service in a commune.

(b) I would then consider raising my own prices, or selling a few unique items myself on eBay to see if I can get the same fortunate response; what will the market bear?

(c) I would endeavor to remember that, for me, it's none of my d*** business what people do with my diapers, etc. once they purchase them. Ditto for if I give away a freebie item, a diaper fairy item, etc. Whatever my immediate emotional response may be (and since I am human, it is unavoidable), it boils down to the fact that someone else has taken the chance to make a profit for themselves for whatever reason, and that's what I do every day (or try to) while running my own business. It's not an ethical crime for me to want to profit from my work to care for my family, that's a certainty in my mind.

Although some may feel there are ethical violations involved in selling diapers for more than they purchased them originally, everyone determines their own personal ethics, and I do not determine others' ethics, nor do I feel that they are in any way violating me, since it's a waste of my time, and I have precious little to waste as it is, as busy as I am. I don't know (and it's none of my business) how much help you give to the needy, if you are the needy, or if you have lots of 'hyena' diapers, or just wraps and prefolds and need money to re-roof your house after a hurricane hits, or if you just like to buy low and sell high to save for your vacation next year... in other words, more power to you, whoever you may be!

I run a business, and not a communal service of any kind, and there are always knocks to be taken when I don't present myself in the best light possible publicly, but this does NOT mean that I cannot raise (or lower) a price for an item depending upon supply and demand, costs of materials and time, etc., etc.

I may run the risk of having publicly posted threads in the vein of 'Wow, can you believe how much so-and-so charged for that?!', with possible responses of 'Good for her!' or 'What is the cloth diapering wahm community coming to?!'.

Regardless of this, either way, I have a demand level and a supply level that varies from year to year, season to season, and item to item. I wouldn't be a very savvy businesswoman if I didn't recognize that it's not about personal feelings, with the exception of the emotional gratification customers get from receiving an item they like and can use -- but my emotions must remain in check, if I am to have a successful business.

Besides, any thread that goes into that great a discussion about a particular wahm is just good free advertising, IMO. I know a number of wahms who feel it is sometimes worth raising prices, considering what the market will bear (and who doesn't want to get paid what their time is really worth; and women do need to demand their worth, and not just from men).

Okay, enough out of me.
#86 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say you are being judged because your child gets a rash. But if you expect the world to come to a halt and provide you with a lovely stash of brand new FCB at a cheap price, ain't gonna happen. If the price is driven up by demand, I guess you'd better save up and get in line if you MUST have them. But as others have said before me, I don't buy it. Make your own, use organic prefolds and change every 10 min, have a seamstress make some custom-made for you, etc. Of course there are other options. FCB hasn't been around THAT long, imagine what people did before!

WHOAAAA! I think you are totally mistaken me. Please read my initial thread. I SAID...I will pay whatever price I CAN to get the diapers that fit my son correctly and that I found nothing wrong with ebay and high prices of diapers on ebay for resale. Im sorry Momma, but I never ever said people shouldnt sell things on ebay b/c theyll sell for more than the WAHM makes them for. If I have to pay 50 bucks to get my son nearly the only AIO that works for him, so be it! Here is part of my initial thread:

If people want to pay $80 for the diaper, fine. Who cares??? While this item may be luxury, I truly do NEED the luxury item and Ill find a way to get it whether it be purchasing new or used for whatever price I want to pay.

I also could just care less about people selling on ebay and I have to agree that Ive never done it before even when I needed the money for whatever reason b/c I was afraid of being reemed on.
#87 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayloo2020
WHOAAAA! I think you are totally mistaken me. Please read my initial thread. I SAID...I will pay whatever price I CAN to get the diapers that fit my son correctly and that I found nothing wrong with ebay and high prices of diapers on ebay for resale. Im sorry Momma, but I never ever said people shouldnt sell things on ebay b/c theyll sell for more than the WAHM makes them for. If I have to pay 50 bucks to get my son nearly the only AIO that works for him, so be it! Here is part of my initial thread:

If people want to pay $80 for the diaper, fine. Who cares??? While this item may be luxury, I truly do NEED the luxury item and Ill find a way to get it whether it be purchasing new or used for whatever price I want to pay.

I also could just care less about people selling on ebay and I have to agree that Ive never done it before even when I needed the money for whatever reason b/c I was afraid of being reemed on.
Oh, OK, my mistake. So why did you think you were being judged? Because you paid a lot? I agree then, people shouldn't judge if someone wants to spend a boatload on a diaper, it's their choice. Sorry I misunderstood!
#88 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

Holy Tattoos! I guess the holidays and goodwill are over!?!

I think I'm one of the biggest lurkers here at MDC, and I have to say... this thread had more ups and downs than me and Tommy Lee.

Let's all try to remember, we're a community. We're a haven away from the harsh back biting and paparazzi of the outside world. Please, let's make peace with one another. Can we just agree to disagree and move on?

I wish you all peace.
#89 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM

Roflmao!!!
#90 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson
Holy Tattoos! I guess the holidays and goodwill are over!?!

I think I'm one of the biggest lurkers here at MDC, and I have to say... this thread had more ups and downs than me and Tommy Lee.

Let's all try to remember, we're a community. We're a haven away from the harsh back biting and paparazzi of the outside world. Please, let's make peace with one another. Can we just agree to disagree and move on?

I wish you all peace.

: Pamela, it's about time you made another appearance!

I wanted to say to the WAHMs who took the time to chime in here, too. It's really helped me see the varied perspectives!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page