resale on ebay - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There have been many "hyena" diapers going for above retail on ebay lately. Discussion?
#2 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:08 AM

I have mixed feelings about the high prices that some items go for on eBay. I personally will not pay more than retail for hyena items. I just can't do it. Thus, I have to stalk like crazy to get FCB, el bee, KP and Luxe items. Yet, I think eBay is nice in ways because it gives everyone a fair shot at an item and they determine the price they are willing to pay for it.

I do feel it is wrong to buy a hyena item and just turn around and put it on eBay to make a profit on it. I feel it isn't fair to the WAHM. I have never done that because I have a very hard time letting go of my hyena items and only do so when they no longer fit my ds.
#3 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarwoman
I do feel it is wrong to buy a hyena item and just turn around and put it on eBay to make a profit on it. I feel it isn't fair to the WAHM. I have never done that because I have a very hard time letting go of my hyena items and only do so when they no longer fit my ds.
its not that they turn right around and do it but buy it and soon after they have gotten their use choose to put it on ebay to milk it for the money.
There is no way you can honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
#4 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:16 AM

I honestly don't get why people pay such high prices for used stuff on ebay. I mean, even take Motherease. They go for 6 bucks minimum used. I found some super cheap once on a BIN so I have 7. But before I'd pay 6 dollars, I'd just buy new ones for $3 more.

As far as the hyena stuff, it's all just silly IMO. I mean, the baby only wears it for 2 hours max, then into the laundry it goes. I got into cloth diapering largely for the cost savings though AND my baby isnt' a heavy wetter or particularly hard to fit, so that could be partly why I don't get it.

And buying things just to put them on ebay could definitely backfire if the lust for the item goes down too quickly and they can't get their money back. I got 2 new SOS's for $12 each recently. I don't think that that person was just trying to resell at a huge profit or anything though.
#5 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
its not that they turn right around and do it but buy it and soon after they have gotten their use choose to put it on ebay to milk it for every penny they can get.
There is no way you can not honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
Yes, I agree that it is probably an item that was quickly out grown or something of that sort. About the el bees, I'm taking the 5th. I don't want to assume anything about anyone.
#6 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarwoman
Yes, I agree that it is probably an item that was quickly out grown or something of that sort. About the el bees, I'm taking the 5th. I don't want to assume anything about anyone.
I do want to assume because it is pretty obvious when a dipe goes for $60 and all the sudden a bunch pop up after that, its VERY suspicious. And I did have 1 mom(a friend) tell me(comment) she wanted to ebay her elbees for the money.
#7 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:20 AM

SEEPAE, yeah, I see your point.
#8 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:22 AM

I personally don't have the funds to spend the money that some do on Ebay so I just watch and enjoy. I think it's one thing when a new diaper that the original diaper maker (for example Fluffymail) puts on sells for a higher price. Then I know that the WAHM is getting the money that she deserves.

However, I do think it is a bit much when some of these used (and stained) items are going for more than what they originally resell for. I know that the hyena items absolutely rock and that is why they are coined that. But are there not other non-hyena dipes out there that potentially work just as well? The question is are people buying these dipes because of the way they work, fit, etc. or just to say they scored a (fill in the blank with your favorite hyena item)?
#9 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:24 AM

I see both sides of this issue and I don't have a strong opinion on it in general. Personally, I would not put a WAHM item on ebay just for the money. I see that as exploiting the WAHM and her hard work. What if all WAHM's decided to only sell on Ebay? I think the Elbee making mama is generous to sell her dipes off ebay! She could make good money if she weren't kind enough to sell the way she does.
#10 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2orionplus1
I think it's one thing when a new diaper that the original diaper maker (for example Fluffymail) puts on sells for a higher price. Then I know that the WAHM is getting the money that she deserves.
I think the WAHM auctions are awesome! I dont care how they go for and someone pays, if I had a lot of money Id have bid on the FM auctions too, its profiting off someone elses work that gets me.
#11 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 04:41 AM

Doesn't bother me a bit. I think people should get as much as they can for their property. I don't think it's unfair to the WAHM, either. If a WAHM is only charging half the market value for her items, that's HER choice. She can set whatever price she likes. In fact, in a way, I wish that these ebay auctions would serve as a wake-up call to the hyena WAHMs that they are severely underpricing their wares, and they should jack up their prices a few notches. The downside of that is that, if they do that, I personally won't be able to buy any hyena items, but at least the WAHMs would get what they really should get for their work, instead of letting the ebay auctioneers get the lion's share of the profit on the dipe. I realize, of course, that the WAHMs are just being nice and want everyone to be able to buy their diapers, which I really appreciate as a poor person, but they shouldn't be surprised when the items re-sell at their true market value.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#12 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:16 AM

I've changed my mind since posting : I'm going to sleep on this and find something brilliant to say in the morning
#13 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:22 AM

since we are on the Elbee topic I just wanted to say FYI She is raising her prices and by what she marked on the customs form as the retail it looks like its going to be a $10CDN increase
#14 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
She is raising her prices and by what she marked on the customs form as the retail it looks like its going to be a $10CDN increase
Good for her!

Bad for me!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#15 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Good for her!

Bad for me!

yeah I know, LOL, that just means if I ever got an order in the future id get 2 or more less
but the increase wont take place for a good while
#16 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 AM

Quote:
There is no way you can honestly tell me these elbees in the past few weeks on ebay havent been put straight on their for the money.
Well this thread is perfect timing as I list my hyena stuff on ebay just last night

I think that comment is so judjemental and RUDE.I listed an el bee last night on ebay and you know what it was for the money.I have hit very hard times and am selling everything.We are having to pack up and move because we are losing our house.I just had my son's birthday and Christmas in a row and now have my taxes due.So yes I need money and chose to put an el bee on ebay instead of the tp.If people will pay above retail , as I have in the past , then sometimes in life you need to not always do what everyone considers the right thing.I am not hurting anyone.

Statements like that just really make me want to leave this place for good.How dare anyone be judged for where they sell an item.Should I add the disclaimer to my auctions that yes I need money right now but in the past month have spent almost $300 on Christmas for needy families and shipping their boxes.Listing something for money on ebay in no way reflects on who I am as a person.

And too talk about two other members here and what they listed and said on the tp is horrible too.We all know who you are talking about and how awful to put them on the spot like that.Also it is against the rules.

Wow I am beyond angry right now.Seriously I just want to know if all you who sit around judging every one else's actions need a life or what.
#17 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:06 AM

Jaime. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I joined the debate and stated what *I* feel comfortable with. It doesn't mean the opposite is bad or wrong (at least IMO).

I'm so sorry to hear things are rough for you financially right now. I know how it is, and I hope things look up for you soon.
#18 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:07 AM

Its al about supply and demand really. There no supply and huge demand. I sold and Elbee before Christmas for less than $30. I tried it out didnt think it was all it was hyped up to be, I mean really my son peed right through it in one pee. It's no better than what I can sew my self, and I thought ok I need $ for Christmas it makes no sense to keep it so I sold it. I had a total of $70 to spend on my 4 kids and DH with that $, so it almost doubled my Christmas budget and was able to actually get my kids some presents they wouldn't have had any. So yeah I feel totally fine I sold it.

It comes down to this, if someone is dumb enought to pay that much $ for a diaper than let them. But don't blame it on the mamma who is selling it for much needed cash. It's not her fault.
#19 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
Jaime. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. I joined the debate and stated what *I* feel comfortable with. It doesn't mean the opposite is bad or wrong (at least IMO).

I'm so sorry to hear things are rough for you financially right now. I know how it is, and I hope things look up for you soon.
Thanks.I don't like that I have to explain my actions and put my personal business out for all to see just to defend myself and explain that I am not greedy.

I am really mad not just for me but the other people who are being talked about in this thread.I happen to know they do a lot of giving to others.So how can anyone feel they can judge someone by the simple act of listing things on ebay.
#20 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
It comes down to this, if someone is dumb enought to pay that much $ for a diaper than let them.
Um, the people who *sell* hyena diapers on ebay aren't the only ones who read this board. The people who *buy* hyena diapers on ebay also read this board. In fact, I think most of us here, at one time or another, have paid more than we really should have for a diapering item.

#21 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:42 AM

Why don't you all who have major problems with the way the free market is working come up with a manual on used diaper sales ettique covering topics such as:

1. Is the MDC TP the only place we are allowed in good conscience to sell highly sought after diapers that we own but for our own personal reasons, wish to sell?

2. Do we have to publish valid reasons, with proof, for wishing to sell them? e.g. picture of babe with diaper around body but obviously too tight or picture of diaper on tightest settings but still too big for babe and falling down.... Or perhaps financial statments proving how much $$ is actually needed, and also written proof of good deeds and charity work done that year?

3. A price guide on used items allowing what we are allowed to accept for our used items: If the diaper is used for one month, how much depreciation from resale value is mandated, etc? (Clearly getting full market value is unethical based on the feelings I see expressed here, as is auctioning an item if there is a chance it will go above retail)

I'd really like to know---most of us who are 'offenders' are just mamas who aren't trying to screw anyone, but apparently have erred gravely nonetheless.
#22 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:42 AM

Sorry, I could have worded that a little better. I was feeling a little hurt by the comments.

but seriously if someone is willing to pay $ for and item, whos to say the person is wrong for selling it to them. And for that matter (after some calmed down thought) if you have the $ to spend, and its worth it to you, then go for it, its not wrong to pay what you feel an item is worth either.
#23 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averymybaby
It is making it harder and harder for those of us who refuse to pay such inflated prices to get good quality diapers.

I feel bad for diaper sewing WAHMs reading this thread who for whatever reason don't have the overwhelming demand for their products like elbee and fluffymail do, but nonetheless make extremely good quality diapers.
No one can say that while FCB and elbee are awesome, they are the only 'good quality diapers' out there, and that there aren't lots of other WAHM goods sitting around instock or available for custom order right away.

Bottom line, FCB and elbee are not THE only good quality diapers available, so implying that if you can't purchase those because they are going for too high a price on ebay, you won't be able to get quality diapers is kind of mean to other diapering WAHMs. Ebay sales are not keeping anyone from getting good quality diapers.
#24 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 08:16 AM

I am going with Butterflymom on this one. I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about this. Nor should anyone have to make excuses about why they are putting something up for bid like Jamie.

Does it upset me? Maybe it makes me sad. I won't pay that much for something unless it is for charity. I am sad because it makes it harder to get these diapers in good used condition. I would like to get some more FCB size 2s because I dig the fit. BUT if people are willing to pay that much for a diaper in used quality, more power to the seller. If someone never posted at MDC or Diaperpin or She Knows or wherever but still CD'd and sold her stuff on Ebay how is that different from someone who happens to post here and doesn't sell her things on the TP?

I do not think Elbees are the end all be all. She makes a great diaper but there are so many out there who make great diapers!

And maybe we should try to remember... that these are just freaking diapers people. Diapers. There are a lot more important things in life. I refuse to waste my time or energy being upset over not being able to get another El Bee or even missing every single FCB stocking from here to eternity.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#25 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 09:43 AM

Apparently, Kate, if you're an MDCer then you have an obligation to offer your goods on the TP first.

I gotta say I prefer buying and selling on ebay than the TP. Buying because I have a fair shot at something (don't have to be stalking my computer waiting for something to pop up instock or on the TP, if it ever even does) and ebay will even send me an email if something on my "favorite searches" list comes up for sale so I don't have to search ebay daily, and if it goes higher than I'm willing to pay, I'm grown up enough to be able to shrug my shoulders and figure it just wasn't worth as much to me as it was to those who outbid me and call fair's fair. I prefer selling on ebay because I know I gave everyone an equal chance and I myself get the fair market price, which I always (like without a single exception) then turn around and redistribute to diapering WAHMs for more fluff.
Plus, when I'm listing items for sale, it's usually a mix of hyena and non hyena items--and it's so much less work and faster to just list all your fluff for sale on ebay and forget about it, and it almost always sells (and not for a pittance) with no more work on my part. The TP involves endless bumping, PMing, and if it ain't hyena, it just won't sell (my experience). Weeks later you can still be hoping to sell a silly fitted or soaker and it's just too much hassle! I need funds for new fluff now (my line of thinking at the time)! I have had such better luck on ebay all around, for hyena and non-hyena goods alike.

I know we all wish we could get our favorites in good used condition for a less-than-retail price and be happy, but please try to remember that the items we're talking about are LUXURY GOODS. No baby is going diaperless without them, they are luxury items. And thinking that these few "top-shelf" items going for quite a bit out there in the marketplace will scare mamas from cloth diapering at all is like saying that families on a budget will be intimidated from all the Mercedes and BMWs with their lofty price tags and won't drive at all. Give mamas some credit for being able to distinguish items they can afford and items that are obviously just luxury goods with a cult following on the secondary markets driving the price up. Do I wish I could get a Mercedes with a Honda price tag? Sure. But I'm not going to storm the sales office at the dealership and try to make them feel guilty for getting the price they can get for it, just because it's out of my budget.
#26 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 AM

Hm...honestly, I think I'm okay with the eBaying of items as well. I have chosen not to eBay stuff before because I was afraid of the MDC judgment factor :. (My ebay username is the same as my MDC username).
When you know your item will go for way more on ebay, it's nice to still sell it on the tp, but it's awfully tempting to just put it up for auction. That way you don't have to bargain, trade for stuff, whatever. I love ebay. Sometimes you can get great deals too.

I think what the real issue is here is that some people (whether they're MDCers or not) are willing to pay scandalous (IMO) prices for diapers, and that kind of hurts those of us who aren't willing to do so. But Angelica's right about the luxury factor. Remember? Diapering haute couture here, ladies!
#27 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 10:38 AM

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I think that eBaying the high demand hyena items undermines the WAHM.

Are we sending the message to WAHMs that we are stalking their stocked items in order to sell them on eBay? They could charge a whole lot more than they do, and obviously get it. But they don't.

I feel that earning more profit on eBay than the original WAHM earned when she designed and produced the item is just plain WRONG.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here. Just stating my thoughts.

WAHMs are NOT stupid. They see what goes on. If it were me, I would be angry and upset. Why do that to the WAHMs that we love and respect???
#28 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 AM

We've discussed this before, although it hasn't been so personally directed. In the past, more than one WAHM has said that they benefit from auctions for used goods that go higher than retail. It's great advertising (and free), and it enhances their reputations. In this market now where CDing consumers have multiple choices, these intangibles (having people talk about your biz, thinking your diapers must be oh so awesome, etc) help your biz solidify for the long term. So I think that those who say that it's bad for the WAHM's are ignoring these intangible benefits.

On the other hand, some WAHM's have said that it makes them upset for all the same reasons that people have listed here. Clearly WAHM's are not of one mind on this topic, so I think it's reasonable that consumers would disagree as well.

I also tend to think that the high prices for used items mean that those hyena WAHM's should raise theirs, and I often feel baffled that they don't. I can't really get behind the theory that they keep their prices artificially low out of love and kindness-- even though many WAHM's are lovely and kind people). Historically women have undervalued their time and products, and I think many WAHM's are fearful that they might not sell all their dipes nor sell out as quickly. You gotta be bold to raise your prices, because you know it's going to be front page news here the next day.

I can't help thinking that if men made diapers, we'd all be paying in excess of $30 . . .

Karla
#29 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 AM

I really can't believe this. I just can't. I cannot fathom that anyone makes judgements on how people sell their diapers, new or used and how much they pay, ebay or other means of purchasing. If someone needs or wants the funds and they feel a diaper will sell for more on Ebay than anywhere else, then they should sell it there. I may get flamed for this, but I am a full propenent for making as much money as you can. By selling diapers and in life. I applaud every person who got $80.00 for an Elbee on Ebay.I applaud people who make money and spend thousands on shoes and bags.

And if you all think that WAHMs are not charging enough, well then become a WAHM and charge more. Leave them alone. They will charge what they want. If they see their diaper go for $80.00 on Ebay, well then, they are big girls, they can make their own business decisions. And, if you all think that no one would pay $80.00 for a new Elbee from Laura, I think you are wrong. Her list might be smaller, but she could charge it.

And, in closing, becuse I am flaming mad now. If anyone thinks that it is simply not fair, because the diapers they want cost too much money and it should be "fairer", that is not the way of the world. Houses, cars, diapers and the list goes on. If you can't afford the high end, then too bad on you.
#30 of 163 Old 01-02-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I know we all wish we could get our favorites in good used condition for a less-than-retail price and be happy, but please try to remember that the items we're talking about are LUXURY GOODS. No baby is going diaperless without them, they are luxury items. And thinking that these few "top-shelf" items going for quite a bit out there in the marketplace will scare mamas from cloth diapering at all is like saying that families on a budget will be intimidated from all the Mercedes and BMWs with their lofty price tags and won't drive at all. Give mamas some credit for being able to distinguish items they can afford and items that are obviously just luxury goods with a cult following on the secondary markets driving the price up. Do I wish I could get a Mercedes with a Honda price tag? Sure. But I'm not going to storm the sales office at the dealership and try to make them feel guilty for getting the price they can get for it, just because it's out of my budget.
Oh, and I almost forgot. RIGHT ON.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page