Living in the land of "I don't like fitteds"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 04:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfactory
I use prefolds to stuff my pocket dipes! HA! and as barf rags :LOL I am such a fitteds and cover gal it's just insane. AIOS, yep we do those too. I am so prefold impaired its not even funny. I can barely fold them to put into a pocket. All those beauty dyed prefolds I have from you..........they are all over my house to casually be used as drop cloths for when Indigo yaks. I use *mostly* wool pull on covers, so there's no double closure thing going on. Now for Ivy, she doesn't always have a cover on. It depends upon who has changed her diaper last. Sometimes she has an aio with a wool cover, a fitted with an aio shell, or a sposie with a wool soaker. :LOL
:LOL

This entire thread is cracking me up!

I just discovered the joy of prefolds in pocket diapers.. Why did I wait so long to try that?

I do like fitteds, and I do like prints on fitteds, even if they get covered up. They make me smile when I'm changing the diaper.

But, I have to admit, there is just something CUTE about that perfectly folded prefold on your baby's cute little butt!!
#62 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 AM

I loved fitteds with wool over them. Now since I lost my mind and sold my whole stash and am having to start all over again I am not really feeling the fitted love. Once I get some more wool I am sure I will be loving them again..Come on tax return
#63 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

SOS are hyena diapers I ahve about 6 of them I didnt think they were that hard to get
#64 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 AM

I love prefolds or modified prefolds for daytime. I'm alittle prefold challenged, but I still use them during the day. For night time, there is no way I could use them. I have search high and low for months to find a diaper and cover that would withstand his flooding at night. So, I only use fitted for night time, AIO's for outtings and prefolds at night.
#65 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 12:20 PM

I'm a fitted with no cover kind of gal myself. I love using a fitted with a matching t-shirt, or dress. It's so cute! No cover.... just the cute fitted. I did use prefolds for a while too, and loved them. I only liked them dyed or tie-dyed, though... don't care for plain. I preferred to pin, not snappi. The snappi makes me nervous because of the teeth... sometimes they come undone. I think I'm just snappi impaired.

Anyway..... I like print or dyed fitteds and dyed prefolds. No covers, but in winter will use wool or fleece pants.

Sometimes I have used AIOs while going out. They fit trim under pants or shorts, or just with a cute t-shirt too.

As far as prints go.... I dye my undies too. I also like prints for me.

Teri
#66 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissietiny
SOS are hyena diapers I ahve about 6 of them I didnt think they were that hard to get
Ah yes, but back in the day (pulling out my rocker and cane) when Suzie of SOS had the old cart system that only stocked a few items and everyone was trying to grab 5 diapers, it was another story entirely.....
#67 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
Ah yes, but back in the day (pulling out my rocker and cane) when Suzie of SOS had the old cart system that only stocked a few items and everyone was trying to grab 5 diapers, it was another story entirely.....

Wow I have 6 and getting 2 more I buy them because they are one size and I ahve 2 in diapers so it works for both(grnated I paid 2 times more than I would ahve liked too LOL but they work so darn well

#68 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
I remember those days ... it wasn't too long ago really. Maybe a year and a half ago.

I've got about 30 SOS, they are my favorite fitted, hands down. They are pretty easy to get your hands on now, nothing like the Elbee craze. Which is fine with me, I don't have time to stalk and stress over getting the diapers I need.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#69 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 01:20 PM

I have tried prefolds. I have snappied, I have pinned. I do not like prefolds lol. They always seemed bulky to me in the front (the bum seem trim). If I dind't pin or snappi, they ended up all bunched up in the so-tight-I-wonder-if-he-can-breathe wrap. I never found a fold I was really happy with, I hated the poopy blow outs (and the toddler mush poos that would find their way out too, especially with that twist fold.

Fitteds I like because, well, they fit. :LOL No futzing and folding and pinning and poking the baby (I stabbed ds2 with a pin pretty good once). If I want dd to wear jeans, I put her in VB AIOs. With her other pants, I use CuddleBuns and Airflows or Proraps. I think dh would go buy disposables if prefolds were his only option.

Dd is so squirmy now that there is no way I could get a prefold on her. Heck, I can't even get the fitted under her butt before she is flipped over. Distractions work for about 2 seconds lol. Can't wait for her to outgrow this stage.

As for covering up prints, I prefer pretty underwear for myself. I don't want to wear white granny panties (though some may like them) just because no one else sees my undies. I'm not about to parade down the street in my Victoria's Secret cotton leopard print bikini panties just so people know I have on print undies. I'm sure dh would want me going around the house (with the blinds closed~~he doesn't like to share lol) like that. Men. :LOL
#70 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 01:29 PM

I personally love my fitteds and my wool but I feel for all of you that don't so I would totally be willing to take those offending fitteds right off your hands for you!!!

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#71 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Julia.....I still love my SOS but I only own 2!!! Can you believe that???
I have an old school quick dry (like on her banner, the blues and greens) and a transportation one that Josh LOVES! We use them for the between bath and bed diaper and we ALWAYS go coverless. But I would never ever use a fitted and a cover unless I was out of diapers on laundry day. If I use a fitted it is coverless around the house or in the summer. If I use a cover it is with a prefold.
But mostly I use FB and AIOs.
My poor wool......it just sits there :LOL (ooops did I say that outloud??)

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#72 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
My poor wool......it just sits there :LOL (ooops did I say that outloud??)
SHELLY!!! Dost mine eyes decieveth me???
#73 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 02:13 PM

I hear you on the multiple closure problem except I have decided to go the other way LOL...I kept my fitteds because I just : them...but I am turfing the wraps and going to all pull on covers because they are just so much less bulky!

Prefolds mostly get used as burp cloths in my house nowadays :

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#74 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 02:30 PM

For all you mamas that did not feel the prefold love...I just wanna say...

Don't give up! I doubt anyone of us here loved them from day one! There IS a learning curve, and even after you get it, there is a squirmy diaper changing stage that makes you question them too! If you stick with it, working on the folding, using pins or a snappi, trying both, you may come out of it in love! From what I read here, many mamas here give up before the epiphany! I hated them at first when I was using infant sized-the trifold thing was a leaky disaster, and they seemed too small. Then, when I got my premiums and some snappies, I was in love. Then came the blowouts! I was so bummed. THen, I got the pins. It took some time, but soon I was getting such an amazing sung fit! I then LOVED the pins! Then, he started the squirming! I just kept at it, trying new ways to occupy him and make it fun, and after a few months of terrible fits, he just lies there ready to be changed again! If you just stick with it for a bit more, you will graduate into prefold love, IMO! YOu will learn and become a folding expert, and you will be so glad that you did! I just want everyone to feel the love, LOL.
#75 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGalHeidi

Don't give up! I doubt anyone of us here loved them from day one! There IS a learning curve, and even after you get it, there is a squirmy diaper changing stage that makes you question them too! If you stick with it, working on the folding, using pins or a snappi, trying both, you may come out of it in love! From what I read here, many mamas here give up before the epiphany! I hated them at first when I was using infant sized-the trifold thing was a leaky disaster, and they seemed too small. Then, when I got my premiums and some snappies, I was in love. Then came the blowouts! I was so bummed. THen, I got the pins. It took some time, but soon I was getting such an amazing sung fit! I then LOVED the pins! Then, he started the squirming! I just kept at it, trying new ways to occupy him and make it fun, and after a few months of terrible fits, he just lies there ready to be changed again! If you just stick with it for a bit more, you will graduate into prefold love, IMO! YOu will learn and become a folding expert, and you will be so glad that you did! I just want everyone to feel the love, LOL.

I agree! Maybe I am weird but whenever I put DS into a AIO or another easy dipe like that, it is like something is missing.. The whole folding and pinning adds fun to the change!

Of course, when DS was going through a squirmy period, I promised I would not use PFs ever again. Then I mastered the changing a squirmy baby thing and now there are NO problems

I still have AIOs and pockets for nightimes, non-graduates in prefolds (the baby-sitter only because now DH became a master pinner) or for when I need to go somewhere where there aren't good spots to change DS.
#76 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGalHeidi

Don't give up! I doubt anyone of us here loved them from day one! There IS a learning curve, and even after you get it, there is a squirmy diaper changing stage that makes you question them too! If you stick with it, working on the folding, using pins or a snappi, trying both, you may come out of it in love!
I don't know, I used them on newborns twice (infant size), and on ds2 I used them quite a bit (with pins and snappis, prefer pins). They always seemed soaked after one pee (my hemp fitteds don't) and they were so bulky in the front I couldnt' imagine putting a doubler in there (was using unbleached premium CPF, so not a diaper quality/size issue). Scout's honor, I gave them a good go! There was a brief time I liked them, didn't last very long though. I even tried a bunch of different wraps, proraps, bummis sww, bummis original, bumkins, maybe something else. Anyway, I didn't want anyone thinking I tried them for a day or two and quit. When I started out w/ds1, I was given a bunch of ME OS and then ordered the prefolds for ds2 and planned on doing mostly those as the ME OS weren't very absorbent. I use a prefold on DD in a pinch if I have to. I'm not opposed to a kitchen towel if need be lol. I guess part of it too is if I'm a WAHM it makes more sense to use the diapers I make. It'd seem weird for someone to know I sew diapers, ask to see dd's dipes, and then I show them a prefold lol. :LOL Not much of a marketing ploy lol.
#77 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 03:52 PM

I like fitteds. They keep Braedons poo in nicely. Braedon is SO petite, he only fits into Infant PF's and they are just not absorbant enough for him, he pees right through them and if out, right through the cover so we really only use them when home.
#78 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 PM

I like fitteds for under wool soakers or longies. I would be too afraid to have a pf in there. I'm afraid of getting poop on my wool. :LOL I've never really mastered the snappi and I've never tried pins. I use my pfs for stuffing my wonderoos or trifolded in a Bummis wrap. I also like the 4x6x4 pfs better, they seem to be less bulky and are absorbant enough for Nikolas' pees. I have a dozen premium ubcpfs just sitting because they are just too bulky.
#79 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Oh, I love love love my fitteds. But then I have wool longies, wool pants, fleece pants and even fleece PJs! Covers=shorts in my house and so we haven't been using them much lately. I use two or three pairs of pants -in any combination of wool and fleece- for the day. I don't use covers and will just change her pants if they get wet.

So around here fitteds are like AIOs for under pants!

By the way... I stack all my pretty fitted on a shelf over the changing table so if nowone sees them on her hiney they see 'em on the shelf!

but, I'm with you. I don't like all the snaps on her hip bone either.
#80 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 08:42 PM

Are you kidding? You're kidding right?

Yes we all have our preferences, but maybe you haven't tried the RIGHT KIND OF fitteds???? Try a wahm fitted, it makes all the difference, better fit, better fabrics, totally different from those cheaper imitations.

And leave those fastening covers for your prefolds, fitteds were never meant to be paired with fastening covers tooo!!!!!

I adore my fitteds, life would just never be the same without them!

I love the cute prints, you don't see the dipes under clothes anyway, and in the warmer months(not many here in MN lol!)I let him run around in a fitted only so it's more breathable, and aren't those prints cute!!! Oh my!

I really really really hae to say I love front snapping dipes. The snaps are on the front so that baby doesn't lay on them, that just sounds terribly uncomfortable. And with a squirmy baby you only need to snap one snap on ea side to get it to stay, easier than two on ea side.

Cover with velcro too? You must be nuts!

I only use pull-up covers with fitteds, that it what the Diaper Goddess intended. (note to moderators; we need a Diaper Goddess Icon to worship on the little sidepanel there)

fasteners ontop of fasteners are a big no-no, go get your diaper handbook out, the cover must always match the diaper you have on baby!

LOL! :LOL

Alexis featherlites are soooooooooooooooooooo trim, cheap, and last forever. Not to mention I've never gotten a leak with them, not even with an overnight flood! Seriously! (but beware of certain sellers on ebay who pawn off a similar but meltable cheap imitation alexis cover, don't buy it!)

I also have a few wool soakers to pull on, but featherlites are mostly my workhorse covers.

I love love love my fitteds!

DH on the other hand LOves those aio's.... We all have our favorites! LOL!
#81 of 93 Old 01-04-2005, 09:40 PM

My dd running around in a pf or fitted with no cover is a normal thing. We do it all year round at home. This way..I know she is wet. I can see on the dipe. As long as you know what to look for.. When we go out we use AIO's or pocket AIO's. It works well for us. Everyone is different. That's what makes CD so much fun.
#82 of 93 Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow... thanks for posting this because I thought I was totally nuts! I was so baffled by everyone being so in love with the prints that I thought I was doing something wrong because in MY house they would under a cover and out of sight...

BUT... I do have a number of ME/Sandy's fitteds (no prints! LOL) that I absolutely love because they are just so absorbant and NOTHIN's getting out of them. Admittedly they definitely take longer to dry and as for bulk, I don't notice them being alot bulkier than anything else we use.

I honestly even got on to fitteds because I am surrounded by a bunch of ignorant ILs (they're not ignorant because they're not NFL... they're ignorant because they're ignorant about EVERYthing). The only shot I had at getting them to NOT put sposies on DS was to ensure that my CDs were as easy to use as possible for them. Turns out, we don't speak to them anymore! :LOL

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#83 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 AM

As a pf mama of 3 since 1998, I have to say I love pf and pins -- snappi is okay but I love pins.
But.... after I started using wool on my nb dd and having leaking bf poo on the wool cover after every poo, I did invest in a few fitteds to save me from washing off poo from wool every day and I only had 2 wool covers at the time.
I put pf on my dd no cover today and remembered what a great feeling I had when I first bought those dipes.
So, the only point I see in fitteds is to save your wool covers. And since I put clothes on top of my wool covers I go for economical aristocrats -- plain, not fancy. My fitteds I put under aren't particularly fancy either.
#84 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 01:08 AM

I prefolds AND fitteds.

I usually use a fitted with wool or fleece pants or shorts. And skip the cover.

I am totally into trying a prefitted though for this reason Less hip bulk.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#85 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM

I think what I have so far are prefitteds- contour dipes? I wonder how fitted WITHOUT fasteners would work... would the cover keep them up, or would the fitted drag them down? I was thinking it could be the best of both worlds- a better fitting dipe but only one fastening to do so less bulk there. Of course, the mamas who don't use covers with their fitteds might end up with nudies running around!
#86 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 PM

I LOVE knitted and crocheted wool. For that reason, I use fitteds. I like having something to change into when I want a break from Fuzzi Bunz. Sometimes, I want baby's butt to breathe a little more so I use the fitteds. I've only just begun to stand using them since I found some great fleece-topped doublers. Baby is a heavy wetter and it made no since to put a fitted on before the doublers came because I'd just be taking it right back off again. Now, with the doublers, we can even go coverless for awhile.

The fitteds I have are Cuddlebuns one size so they are a great investment for me.

I reach for the fbs first and then fitteds. Now that daycare is using the fb, I find it better to use the fitteds in the evenings and on weekends. We still use fb at night.

If I didn't have a fascination with wool soakers/longies, I wouldn't use fitteds. I will only buy patterned fitteds because I love fabric so much and plain fitteds are such a waste to me.

First and foremost, fitteds give me an excuse to buy more wool
#87 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#88 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
come out come out where ever you are. I will fend off the hyenas with a sposie "BACK, STAY BACK"

Let it out ladies.......it feels Gooooooooooooooood
:
I do not care for fitteds. My fav are pf's of all kinds and wool!!! Daddy loves FB.

There are two kinds of fitteds that I do love though....sherpa and MEOS.

Kinda funny...when I started cding I thought I would love fitteds, pockets, and aios. I thougth they looked "easy"

Nothing is easier than a soft cushy pf, snappi, and some longies!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#89 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Chiming in late here ... but I totally hear you on the double set of fasteners ... that's why with fitteds (which except for 3 lonely Mutt's are now only just me-made), I use a side-closure cover (cause my fitteds are all front snap). But, it's still a lot of snaps going on, so I usually go one step further and use a side-aplix cover with a front-snap fitted. My favorite, by far, are my semi-fitteds - basically just fitteds I made that I left off the snaps/aplix. I used fabric that can snappi (or pin) easily and it's like the best of both worlds! The convenience (in terms of poop) of fitteds with the simplicity of pf's/flats/contours, yet they stay closed and are trim. So, that's my new favorite (although I definitely go through stages ... usually I'll do pf's all day, snap-ins the next, semi-fitteds and regular fitteds the next. I have FB's (which get stuffed with pf's), but those are for night for both boys (and occassionally for ds#2 when going out and about).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#90 of 93 Old 01-18-2005, 09:59 PM

I accidentally bought some fitteds on the trading post before I realized that what they were I think I was a deal and thats it : but I still don't get them I will probably end up reselling them..I am looking into wool

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page