Living in the land of "I don't like fitteds"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else? They are great for coverless days but I just don't get it. Yes, they are cute, yes there are MANY kinds but once you use a cover why?
You end up covering up the cute prints/colors anyway. Then once I put a cover on it is pretty bulky for my active 20 month old. The thing that gets me is the bulk of the 2 closures. 2 sets of snaps on a hip cannot feel good. Or aplix and aplix....you know what I mean. Am I alone? Or the only one brave enough to say it :LOL

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#2 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
Anyone else? They are great for coverless days but I just don't get it. Yes, they are cute, yes there are MANY kinds but once you use a cover why?
You end up covering up the cute prints/colors anyway. Then once I put a cover on it is pretty bulky for my active 20 month old. The thing that gets me is the bulk of the 2 closures. 2 sets of snaps on a hip cannot feel good. Or aplix and aplix....you know what I mean. Am I alone? Or the only one brave enough to say it :LOL
: I have ALWAYS ALWAYS wondered that... though I was always embarassed and afraid to ask this question to the other hyenas :

YES, you're the only one brave enough to ask :LOL

Then again... I have not tried so many fitted on my sons either...
#3 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:34 PM

Lately I have been loving prefolds. They hold up better and last longer, can be folded different ways so are very versatile, very absorbent (we use premiums overnight), and can be dyed in such cute and amazing ways !
#4 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:38 PM

im not a big fan either : its just more work imo and my DH will never "get" fitteds..i do like em for longies days and coverless though but never outtings!!!

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#5 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:39 PM

2 things I never inderstood: fitteds & wool.

I would buy/try/resell, buy/try/resell

Then I tried wool fabric pants at night & never had another leak. So I became crazy about wool fabric pants. Then I figured- hey, as long as she's wearing a cover, she can wear a fitted.

But I still don't do fitteds and covers. I do more 'fitteds on parade'- t-shirts & fitteds around the house. Sometimes it's nice not to have any pul in the equation. Just a cute, patterned booty running amuck.

But there are definitely more changes involved! Lots more work!
#6 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 PM

I love prefolds but I love fitteds, too! Fitteds under a cover are much trimmer imo. I can just lay the fitted in the cover and be ready for a quick change....don't have to worry about the prefold coming unfolded as I wrestle a squirmy baby into the dipe. I don't have a problem with the two sets of closures but I can see your point!
We're usually coverless, too, which makes fitteds all the more lovely. That being said, I do use prefolds a majority of the time because that's what I have the most of!

Laura
Mom to three
#7 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:40 PM

I don't like fitteds because I hate putting a diaper and a cover on, BUT, I have the most GORGEOUS fitted from Shandelle (todzwife) and I look forward to using it each time. But on a regular basis, I stick to AIO's.
#8 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 PM
cjr

I love fitteds. I love trim fitteds and I really love my fitted from Little Fishy because they are trim. I have tried many many many fitteds and I don't like the bulk of most of them, but these are great. I like fitteds because I don't have leaks in them. They catch poo and absorb what I need them to. I like fitteds because I can use wool with them, which I prefer. I like fitteds with cute knit prints, not because of the cute knit prints but rather because they keep the diaper looking nice. I have diapers that don't have a print and the hemp or sherpa gets so ratty looking. The prints help keep the diapers looking nice.

We can't do AIO's, we have tried and tried and tried. DS pees in such a way that they don't work. I don't like having him in pul all the time. DH loves ME airflows and that's fine because they never leak, but other than that I love that his bum breaths...especially at night.

Prefolds are great for wear and absorbancy, but they don't alway hold in everything and they can be just as bulky when you have to fold them down and rollin the legs and stuff them into a cover. I am going to make pre-fitteds out of my pf's, with an extra strip down the middle.
#9 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

come out come out where ever you are. I will fend off the hyenas with a sposie "BACK, STAY BACK"

Let it out ladies.......it feels Gooooooooooooooood

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#10 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:45 PM

I don't like them because they take so long to dry and tend to hold stink. I'm a prefold gal
#11 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM
nym

I dont like fitteds. We use prefolds and aios

thats it
#12 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

coming out of the woodwork :LOL

#13 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM

I used to really love fitteds. Then I got sick of them getting holes and being hard to find and not fitting well.

So now I'm a big prefold fan! I use fitteds sometimes at nights or if going coverless or under knitted wool. I don't use closures for prefolds so we have to use fitteds when going coverless. Oh and if my daughter changes Alex then she uses fitteds. But otherwise it's prefolds. I do like the trimfitteds I have too...but I don't think of them as fitteds at all.

Still love love love my wool covers though. And my big thing lately is embroidered wool covers

We don't do AIO's at all though - can't use poly.
#14 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM

but all my covers tend to be pull on or knit wool shorts, pants etc. I like aio's but Lex's butt gets red from no breathing. :LOL
#15 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:48 PM

I don't really get fitteds either. Maybe its because I didn't start CDing until Ds was three, but there is no way I could fit a fitted and cover under his pants. It just isn't happening. Plus that is way to long for him to hold still during changes. I love AIO's and WIO's. They are just so much simpler. But I do have some fitteds because I like the fitted with wool pants/shorts thing. It is perfect for overnight/naptime, and I can take him out in the wool jersey pants with a fitted underneath and they don't need a cover. I never could manage the coverless thing. Ds is a super soaker, and I definately don't like the idea of tiny puddles all over my house. Maybe when I have a newborn to diaper I will finally get it.
#16 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
come out come out where ever you are. I will fend off the hyenas with a sposie "BACK, STAY BACK"

Let it out ladies.......it feels Gooooooooooooooood
#17 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:50 PM

Welll said. For a long time, I felt kinda shafted about not being able to afford fitteds. Then, I was able to get a few, to use on outings during that terrible diaper changing drama stage. Well, I found that I LOVE my prefolds and flats. They are more versatile, fun to fold(I love the art of diaper folding), rinse cleaner, are absorbent but not bulky, cheaper, and last longer, among other things. I am glad I got some fitteds cause it made me soooo much happier with my stash! I would not get fitteds at this point or in the future. I like my prefolds and flats way to much, and I would just end up reaching for them first!
#18 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Shelly, do you wear boring undies under your pants too? I mean, you just cover them up, right?
Holli you must not know me very well.....you actually think I WEAR panties??? :LOL

#19 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The thing that gets me is the bulk of the 2 closures. 2 sets of snaps on a hip cannot feel good. Or aplix and aplix....you know what I mean.

I've always thought that fitteds that pull up like undies w/no snaps or aplix would be heaven :
#20 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Me too!!!! I hate snap marks and aplix burn

#21 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

#22 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 PM

Just THE best opportunity to use that smiley
#23 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

heheheheheeheh

#24 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

I lvoe fitteds I use only wool soakers and longies I do use mostly prefolds during the daya nd save my fitteds at night
What is the big deal with hyenas? I keep seeing that referrance
#25 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:10 PM

Well I hear what you are saying about the 2 closures because to me one of the #1 diapering priorities is that my kiddo is COMFORTABLE!

So I have certain covers that I like with prefolds and certain covers that I like with fitteds.

I LOVE my Motherease AF's for use with fitteds. They are just so soft and not restrictive at all. They just seem so comfy.
#26 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:
thank you for coming out of the closet!!

I feel exactly the same way! It was funny, I would have a $20 hyena diaper (beautiful) but then covered by a prorap :LOL and would wonder.. why on earth am I spending money on a diaper I don't even look at???
#27 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:20 PM

I'm crashing your party, heh heh...

I have a fair amount of "hyena" fitteds (El Bee, SOS, etc.) and they are all plain. Well, some SOS are dyed but just one color so it's no big tragedy if they are covered up, it's not like they are works of art. I don't buy El Bees and SOS for their beauty, I buy them because of how they work and how they fit. I just love the functionality of these diapers.

Now, ITA with you about the multiple closures. This is why I only use wool soakers. To me nothing could be more comfy than a nice, stretchy, soft, breathable wool soaker... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......... :LOL

If I used prefolds I would always be paranoid about snappi snags on my wool. My toes are curling just thinking about it. (Goes off to pet wool, and think soothing thoughts)
#28 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:30 PM

In the summer I loved fitteds, dd ran around in a coverless diaper and t-shirt or sundress, very cute and easy. Now in the winter I am not loving fitteds because of the added bulk when dd is already dressed in layers. I have been reaching for AIOs more and more these days. But I know once the sun comes back out I will love them again. Its a real love/hate relationship :LOL
#29 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:47 PM

Dh liked fitteds more than I do.
Now I'm attempting to sell them to fund the AIO's I just bought (easier to use when I'm visiting people out-of-town for a day or two). See my sig if you're looking for Sugarpeas or FB.

I prefer prefolds - I can snappi on a prefold quicker than I can snap on a fitted (yeah, I'm not normal). And ds runs around in just a diaper most of the time anyway - even though it's 20 degrees out (our woodstove rocks; it's currently 74 in my living room).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#30 of 93 Old 01-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Lanna..

First, I love your name! I remember I wanted to be Lana from Super Man so badly, but ofcourse, that never happened! :LOL

I recently asked dh what his favorite diaper is, and has been in almost a year of cloth diapering, trying so many different things, etc.. and he said pockets. He loves the fact that it's so easy to put on. I wish he liked the 2-step system of fitted and cover. but then again, the fact that he likes pockets makes it easier for me, cause I get to buy more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page