Wow... flats!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So... I am in love with flats. All three that I have (hooray for Bum Wrap Diapers!!)!

The problem right now is that I'm just not friends with pins yet. So, I'm stuck using snappi-friendly flats for now which is a bummer because I'm thinking that hemp flats sound fabulous (for not only using as flats, but stuffing possibilities as well).

Are birdseye flats the only ones that are snappi-friendly? I'm just completely head-over-heels for these darn flats! So, so trim, so darn cute... and the folding possibilities?!? (okay, so I only know the oragami fold right now, but... there are more out there!).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
actualy, I'm thinking that hemp ones are snappiable too. As long as it's a knit fabric it will work with a snappi.
But I have a big order of flats in the mail and the UPS tracker says they will be here today, in that package I have my first hemp ones. Later today I will report back to you just to make sure that it works with a snappi.
Another snappiable material is Jersey, like t shirt material. You can make them out of old t shirts (as long as the shirt is more than 80% cotton) or you can buy a wide variaty of colors of 100% cotton knit jersey material at your local fabric store.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 PM

I have a hemp jersey flat (on the TP right now BTW ) which works famously with a snappi!
I just wasn't all that chummy with the flat as it turned out...

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
Old 01-11-2005, 07:24 PM

How do you learn to fold flats? I need more diapering options to consider like I need a hole in my head but what the hey...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I know that hemp jersey *can* be snappi-able, but.. darnit if my snappis and hemp jersey just don't seem to get along (I have an eezi gear eezi fold that is hemp jersey and I have the darndest time trying to snappi it most of the time).

So then... are pins really *that* scary? Does quality of the pin really improve ease of pinning (I see a lot of dritz references... I don't have any Dritz pins.. just some Gerber ones)? And... would pins wear holes in the hemp jersey more easily than other materials? (I guess I don't know why it would, but... just curious anyway)!

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck
How do you learn to fold flats? I need more diapering options to consider like I need a hole in my head but what the hey...
Well, there are a bunch of folds here: http://www.weebees.com/prodinfo.asp?...item=1&mitem=4 (just click on the links at the bottom of the page)

and here is the oragami fold: http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/flatfolding.htm

I know there are more places... but I lost my old bookmarks so these are the two I can remember!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:40 PM

here is a good guide to folding flats...its for british terry nappies but any old flats will do..
http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/Advice...nstructionID=2
by the way a nappi nippa is the UK word for a snappi!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 PM

Pinning is really easy! I have only ever tried Dritz pins so I can't comment on if some are better than others... but I can say that running the pin through your hair makes the pin go through the dipe easier. Some suggest sticking/storing the pins in a bar of soap but that never worked well for me. (And these works with just-washed, conditioned hair, too - I don't just walk around with nasty dirty oily hair... )

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm glad you're liking flats

There are so many folds.. unbelievable.. it's a whole separate world with *just* flats.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Both dritz and gerber pins work fine for me so long as they're stuck in soap run through you hair first. Be careful with the hair thing though, it works the best but I keep stabbing myself in the scalp (I learned to go sloooowly through my hair :LOL)
Old 01-11-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving-my-babies
There are so many folds.. unbelievable.. it's a whole separate world with *just* flats.
I know! I think that's partly why I'm so excited about flats. The folding options are endless... and they can be customized to whatever your specific baby needs. And gee whiz... how much easier can things be?!

(and now? I'm just waiting until summer so I can hang my rainbow of flats out to dry in the sunshine!)

Old 01-11-2005, 11:51 PM

Oh wow, I just checked out all the folds and I feel a need to get some flats now.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM

I have a confession to make.

After spending way too much money on way too many sample diapers : and after spending way too much time (including work time) reading about the wonderful myriad methods of cloth diapering...

...Way down deep inside the very bottom of my heart of hearts...

...my very favorite diapers...

..are...

...flats. :

I'm probably still going to go with prefolds for my stash since they're really more practical. But I flats. I'm sold on the versatility and ease of care, and I think they look adorable. Dh likes them too!

So much for being a modern mother wannabe. I can imagine myself carting around a baby in pinned flats and bringing a Happy Heiny's or some such everywhere with me so I could show people I was flattening because I WANTED to and not because I HAD to. Gotta keep the potential converts interested. :LOL

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 01-21-2005, 09:49 PM

Feelin the flats love here too(again) I tend to go thru phases, using only pf's or pockets, or my 10 mis-matched fitteds. but i keep coming back to the flats. Igo back and forth on fasteners too, depending on which ones i can find. i've found that gerber pins bend at the tip too easily. dritz pins are waaaay better quality, and a bit longer too. there's one other brand (one step? in step? something like that) and they're in between the others quality-wise.

with the jersey ones (not the hemp ones, the t-shirt ones) do the edges curl up? are they so stretchy as to be annoying? do you have to surge/zig-zag the edges?

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
Old 01-21-2005, 09:58 PM

I definitely prefer the Dritz pins over Gerber (though those work, just not as smoothly as the Dritz, imo). And after butchering my scalp a few times, I just put the pin on my scalp and rub it side to side across my scalp ... so the pin is going sideways, and the tip isn't going back and forht. (Does that make any sense?!) I think birdseye are the easiest to snappi. Terry works great too, but they are hard to find, especially 100% cotton ones. Jersey (either hemp or all cotton) can snappi, but you can also run the risk of snagging the knit with the snappi - so pins might be better. I usually have an easier time snappi'ing hemp or cotton fleece/french terry than jersey - those are the overnight flats for when we're travelling. It would be great to find some twill flats (the same material as pf's) - those would be absorbant and snappi beautifully!

Oh, and the jersey ones can curl a bit at the edges, but never enough to bug me. I kind of like the extra stretch they have, especially if working with a 27x27" flat - helps to pull those thighs in a little more snuggly.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkaha
with the jersey ones (not the hemp ones, the t-shirt ones) do the edges curl up? are they so stretchy as to be annoying?
no, as long as it contains at least 80% cotton. The lycra is what makes it stretchy and curly, if you don't have too much, it won't act up (plus, lycra is not absorbant, so a flat with too much of it, just wouldn't proform properly.)

Quote:
do you have to surge/zig-zag the edges?
I don't have a serger. I just turn the edge under and hem it.
To make more secure edges you can do two things... you can turn it under twice and have a hidden edge, or you can turn it under once and do a zigzag hem (does not have to be a super tight zigzag, besides, that might make curly edges.)
Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 PM

but Krista of babykicks says snappi'ng a hemp pf is a big no no.

I love my flats too. I got into them while my pfs custom order from tyedye dreams were being dyed. The flats are wonderful pocket stuffers as well as pinning them on. They are super trim too. Oh and my pfs from tyedyedreams are to dye for. LOL

notes2.gifDina sahm to geek.gif, bikenew.gif, and joy.gif. I'm always computergeek2.gif, dishes.gif andhang.gif.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliacat
So much for being a modern mother wannabe. I can imagine myself carting around a baby in pinned flats and bringing a Happy Heiny's or some such everywhere with me so I could show people I was flattening because I WANTED to and not because I HAD to. Gotta keep the potential converts interested. :LOL
I hear you completely. I have held on to quite a few diapers even though I simply do not use them all in the hopes of gathering in more converts. I know some of the more... fancy? diapers (FBs and such) are what brought me to the cloth side.

But here I am, back to pfs and flats. And I'm loving them

Old 01-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Where is a good place to buy flats?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 PM

depends on what you are looking for... cheap? pretty? a certin material?
diaperware has a good selection and very nice prices. TyeDyeDreams and Lyon Artistry (ebay store) are my two favorite for buying pretty flats.

User Tag List