Confessions of a cloth diaper husband - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I had to reply in support of Kristina's dh. I my cloth, but we have had leaks. Quite a few actually. Our older dd is a super-soaker too. Ladies, if you've got a super-soaker, just about any diaper won't cut it. I've got good diapers. One thing I've found to reduce leaks though, is a good fitted (no fleece on the inside) with a Bummis cover or thick wool longies or other wool cover. That's what we use almost exclusively now. But, we still get occassional leaks.

I don't mind the big diaper booty and though I don't care for carrying around a dirty diaper, it isn't the end of the world. Lately though, for convenience sake (since I have 2 in diapers, never did this with just one) I have been stocking the diaper bag w/sposies and just using those when out and about. I still carry home a diaper though, b/c I don't change them into sposies before leaving.

And the expense does add up. We may have saved some money, but I have spent quite a bit. I personally enjoy "having" to try new diapers when something doesn't work. But, I'm not sure my dh does. I try to keep them all easy for him (a;; front-snapping fitteds w/o lots of extra parts) so he doesn't get confused. Oh, and it's very rare that we've ever had a poopy blow-out w/cloth. Definitely happens w/sposies though.

Anyway, I understand how you feel about having leaks. Sometimes we use sposies just so we don't have to deal w/the leaks.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 09:54 PM

I would FREAK OUT if my husband logged on as me to my email, my message boards, my xanga blog. I would absolutely freak out. 'Nuff said.
#63 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Interesting, just goes to show not all diapers are created equal. I haven't had a problem with wet pants since I went to wool covers and liners. If I had never found the right combo though I think my husband would feel unhappy.
The smell issue is reversed for me, when I used to do disposables at night the disposable pale was always wayyyyyy more disgusting smelling than the cloth.
At least the guy is honest , my husband totaly disagrees though, he encourages me to CD.
#64 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

It's me, DH again. I'm afraid to post again for fear of what a few of you may say or do to me. :LOL
My post was intended to be humerous, and some of you actually got that. Some of you need to lighten up a bit though. Somebody alluded to the fact that I didn't leave room for a different opinion or something like that. Yet, when I offer my differing opinion, I'm attacked for it. I came into your "safe area" and posted something different from the norm. When I read the user agreement, I didn't see the part about only certain opinions allowed. I'm not attacking you or your choices. I'm also not spreading any myths that must exist, though I've never heard any of these. As I stated, we've been cloth diapering for about 2 years and are going to continue to do so with my little girl as well. In that time, I've formed OPINIONS based on what I have experienced and I vented. To be honest, I did that here because I figured you would get a kick out of it because I assume many of you have heard such things at home.
As far as my using my wifes screen name, I tried to get my own, but the process seems to take a day or more, so I used hers, with her consent (we are a team afterall).
I got a lot of flak about my choice of words. Many of you think I assume to know what your husband thinks. I do not. I'd like to direct that line only at those with a sense of humor. have you ever heard a comedian like Bill Cosby, Sinbad, or Jeff Foxworthy making assumptions in thier bits? That's what makes it funny, the personal direction. Not everything in life is to be taken literally, right? I even got flak about assuming most of you do this for the environment!! I DO assume that most of you, on a natural parenting forum are doing this for the environment. If you aren't, why would you take offense to that??
So, I'm sorry that I offended some of you. For those that took if like it was written and found it humerous, I'm glad I could make you smile once.
To sum in all up, while I find CD's to be very irritating and I would never choose them myself, I applaud you for doing the research, spending the money and the extra effort for the health of your kids and the environment.
#65 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliamama
I would FREAK OUT if my husband logged on as me to my email, my message boards, my xanga blog. I would absolutely freak out. 'Nuff said.
Our relationship is strong enough that my wife isn't ticked off and won't give me a "cold reception" and make me sleep on the couch because I used her screen name. READ THE POSTS. She knew about it and I tried to get a screen name but it takes a while. If my wife were to post on one of the sites I frequent, I wouldn't care at all. BTW, I did identify myself in the very first line. Actually, I'd be happy she took an interest in what I do to take the time to post. But that's just us, I suppose we have a different relationship than some of you.

A big THANK YOU to those that understood my frustrations and actually defended me
#66 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Not to add more fuel to this fire (here I go!) but my DH would get a HUGE kick out of this! He HATES cloth diapering. HATES it. True, he appreciates the health and environmental benefits, but he just can't stand the poopy dunking, prefold folding, diaper pail lugging, diaper folding, honey-what-cover-goes-with-this-diaper, etc. I did most of the diapering with my son, and will do most of the upcoming with my babe later this spring. He thinks I frequent cd'ing sites much too often, and finds it hilarious that I buy used dipes both here and on Ebay.

My mother is equally amused. I can sum her attitude as such "prefolds. I had prefolds. I still have holes in my fingers from the pins, and carpal tunnel from folding and folding and folding. I had prefolds. What the heck is a pocket diaper." She loves it, and gets a kick out of the stuff I buy, but she sure does give me a hard time!

Anyway, Kristina's husband, you're not alone! Thank goodness you, and my dh, are willing to deal with the inconveniences cd'ing might create, regardless of your personal opinions on the topic.
#67 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:51 PM

I still think the original post was very funny.I read it as an exageration on real diapering experiences.No one is really throwing babies out airplanes and obviously we know all dh's are not the same.Sometimes things get so serious around here.
#68 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

I hope you guys find something that works for you soon. I just have to ask, how can a big cloth diaper booty be anything but cute??? That was what first caught my attention for cloth to begin with! And I know you are a man, and won't have to deal with this issue til you are too old to notice, but try wearing disposable pads or underwear (ie Depends) and you'll see why cloth feels nicer. I had to wear pads during my last pregnancy, the whole time, and Depends for over 3 months, and it was awful! But even after seeing me go through rashes, yeast infections, UTIs, etc., my fiance still was not convinced that disposables with their chemicals really suck. I use cloth pads normally, but that was just impossible when I was pg for a lot of reasons, so I got to feel what babies feel for quite some time. Our son is 7 months old and I have finally convinced DF to let me try to CD (a week I've been at it now), and every day he has to eat his words on his theories of how they'd stink, leak, etc. And I'm not even using proper diapers yet, just covers and fleece and micro-fiber towelling, so I'm sure I'll feel like I'm in the lap of luxury once my prefolds get here!

Again, sorry you are having issues, but not all guys have come to those conclusions.
#69 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 PM

I thought it was funny too.
Are some of you so deeply discriminated against for cloth diapering that you need to get defensive over anything that is said against cloth diapers and in favor of disposables?
#70 of 125 Old 01-16-2005, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I thought it was funny too.
Are some of you so deeply discriminated against for cloth diapering that you need to get defensive over anything that is said against cloth diapers and in favor of disposables?
I agree!

My DH swears that if I had the money I'd be a full blood hyena, even more uuber protective of my supply of cloth (as it is now, I gaurd it religiously across the hall at the communal laundry), and that I'd burn ever disposie company off the map.... but honestly?? I don't get my panties (pardon the pun) in a bunch because someone might say something in favor of a disposie! Geez! He was joking to people.... JOKING. Please, some of you really need to lighten up and lower your cloth diaper spiked gaurds against others.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#71 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Kudos to Kristinas DH. I got my DH to read his post and if they were both in the same room my DH would have "high 5'ved" him. He would have done it not to be rude, or critical but because we both read the post as it was ment. One persons trial and tribulations in cding. It is the best post I've read in a long time and I must admit, some of what was said my DH has gone through too. I recently asked my DH if we had $100 would he buy sposies for the month or get some new cd's and he said cd's. If I would have asked him that a few months ago, I'm sure I would have got a different answer.
#72 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 12:11 AM

I usually just lurk around here but this one was so funny, I was cracking up! Babies falling out of airplanes, burning dipes doing a dance around the fire! It was halarious, I nearly needed a diaper myself. :LOL

I am surprised so many of you took offence to the joke. So the dh likes sposies better than cloth. Whats the big deal. He supports his wife dispite being cd challenged.

And I really don't like the smell of a dirty diaper in my bag either. I can understand that one. If I forget a dipe in my bag overnight the smell is awful the next day, P.U. stinky-stinky!!

Lets just all have a good laugh and relax a bit.
#73 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holli

How many people hopped on here and said they were glad they were single for this post? Hmm. I would be glad too if my husband had this sense of humor.
Kristina here:
This remark is down right insulting to me. I love my husband and his sense of humor. Yea, he may have some issues with dipes but if you don't find his post funny then just move on. Don't insult me. I have been able to just acknowledge other comments without any problems but I feel this remark was uncalled for.
#74 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 12:49 AM

I just have one question...thats it just one.

I thought it was "proper" to put a dirty dipe (disposable or cloth) in the diaper bag and then throw it away (or wash it) at your own house.

Even when we did do sposies I took the dirties home to throw them away. I just assumed it was the right thing to do.
#75 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 12:56 AM

Well my husband couldn't care less but we've never had leak problems, except at night when dd would leak thru anything, including disposables.

He did remark once that I was getting "a little carried away" as I opened some fluffy mail once that contained an aio with a print that happened to show my favorite "collectible"

but then, he's not a diaper changer for the most part and has no clue what I've spent lol
I'd have to pay him big money to come to mdc and write about diapers ha ha.
Never happen.
Elizabeth
#76 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:03 AM
Banned

All I am going to say is I can smell a dirty sposie three miles away.

#77 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holli
Why is it that we are considered uptight if we simply didn't find humor in his attitude that he was speaking for all husbands? I could care less what he thinks about cloth diapering. It doesn't affect me at all. People here vent all the time about things.

The difference is when you assume you know how my husband thinks. That is insulting. You easily could have made your point without proclaiming to be representing all cloth diapering husbands. I still don't get the point, but it certainly wasn't humor Bill Cosby style. I don't know the other references he made so I can't judge.

How many people hopped on here and said they were glad they were single for this post? Hmm. I would be glad too if my husband had this sense of humor.

Holli, still not amused!
DH here:
Your comment was WAY over the line!
Not only did I not attack anyone on this board, but I certainly didn't attack YOU. If you didn't find the post funny, then that's ok. But do not attack me or my family.
I suppose the bottom line is that was a joke. So, are you saying my wife would be better off single because I can make a joke? Are you saying then, that all the women that thought it was funny have husbands that are sub-par as well? Is posessing a sense of humor a fault?
I've apologized for offending the few on this board for something I typed that was taken a bit too litterally. I think you owe my wife and I an appology. I made a very broad joke that a few took personally. Now you made a very personal attack on my and my wife. That is un-called for!!!
I expected some light hearted ribbing as I was going very much against the grain here. That's fine. But for you to imply my wife would be better off single!?!?!? So, the unconditional love and support I give my wife in every endeavor, including CD is meaningless because you can't take a joke??? I feel for you as you must find something offensive in everyday life. When the person at McDonalds asks if you'd like fries with that, is she saying you are fat? Is she saying you are too skinny? Is she making a judgment on the kind of food you feed your family?
#78 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli1899
I just have one question...thats it just one.

I thought it was "proper" to put a dirty dipe (disposable or cloth) in the diaper bag and then throw it away (or wash it) at your own house.

Even when we did do sposies I took the dirties home to throw them away. I just assumed it was the right thing to do.
Really??? I never thought of doing this. I use sposies when we're out and I always throw them away wherever I happen to be.

Seriously people, my CDs are stinkin up my whole apartment right now. I'm not defending sposies - which also stink - but I want a hit of whatever you're smokin that makes CDs look so good. On the real, sometimes they are a PITA. I'm just getting back into CDing after a 4 mo hiatus. I'm so glad to be back, b/c CD is sooooo much better, in almost every way. But there are some things that are seriously not fun about it, for many of us anyway. No need to get all defensive.
#79 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:18 AM

Will y'all just chill?!!!

I too thought you were funny, a la Dave Barry, and did not think you were serious when talking about the rest of our dh's.

My dh would secretly like to ditch the cloth too, I'd bet, even tho' he's very supportive and changes diapers all the time. Spraying off icky toddler poop containing half-digested beans, corn and raisins .... yeah, he'd give that up in a flash!
#80 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:20 AM

My dh totally likes the environmental aspect of cloth (we're Sierra Club types.) He doesn't like much else about it. Although, I think his main complaint is that I have such a variety of stuff and he never knows exactly what to do (ie, cover or not? pocket to stuff? why is there no cover under these wool pants?

So, if I had lots of money, I'd get a uniform stash to make him happy. But, since I don't want to spend a lot, we're stuck with the mish mash that we have, which is fine for me as I know what it all is.
#81 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 AM

Guerillamama - what do you keep your dipes in?

We have a dry pail. I wash every other day, sometimes every 2 days. I have a thick fleece baby blanket folded in fourths that I lay over the top of the pail (OK, it's actually an old pickle bucket from a deli. : ). I do sometimes get stink, especially if DS has pooped a lot or I let them sit there too long, but generally they are OK for 2 - 3 days like that. And it's not due to anything I am smoking, lol.
#82 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 AM

Oh, and FTR - my DH actually likes using cloth diapers. Though neither of us really enjoy dunking the poopy ones. But when we use sposies on occasion, neither of us really enjoy the poop on those, either. Call us weird - I guess we just don't dig poopy diapers. :LOL
#83 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
Guerillamama - what do you keep your dipes in?

We have a dry pail. I wash every other day, sometimes every 2 days. I have a thick fleece baby blanket folded in fourths that I lay over the top of the pail (OK, it's actually an old pickle bucket from a deli. : ). I do sometimes get stink, especially if DS has pooped a lot or I let them sit there too long, but generally they are OK for 2 - 3 days like that. And it's not due to anything I am smoking, lol.
At the moment, a plastic bag in the bathroom. That's because I just re-started diaper service and they forgot to bring me my pail, so I have to wait till Wednesday to get my pail.

BUT when I was doing my own dipes they still stank to high heaven, after ds was about 7-8 mo. I was using a fabric wet bag inside a plastic garbage can, with deo disks AND baking soda, and it stank stank stank. And I was doing laundry every 2 days.

What's up with the fleece blanket? Does that kill the smell? And then what do you do with the blanket, wash it with your dipes or with your clothes? Since I am not washing my dipes anymore, could I wash that blanket with my clothes, or it would it make everything else stink?
#84 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't use a pail...I just do 3+ loads of laundry a day. No stink for us!
#85 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseball
I don't use a pail...I just do 3+ loads of laundry a day. No stink for us!

Are you serious? You really do three oads of diaper laundry a day?
You are more a woman than I. Sometimes I have to higher a moving truck with movers to get all of them down the steps. :
#86 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:41 AM

I thought the OP was funny, too. But my dh does not feel that way at all, I'm sure of it.

namaste.gif

#87 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaze
My dh totally likes the environmental aspect of cloth (we're Sierra Club types.)
DH here:
I have a way off topic question for you. You say you are a Siera Club type. Have you ever heard of running a diesel car/truck on waste vegetable oil? I'm in the process of converting a truck to run on WVO and have only talked to others who are doing the same. Just curious about your thoughts or if you've even heard of it before.
I complained about stinky diapers, have any of you ever filled a diesel tank? That is some serious stink
#88 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 AM

Yes, I've heard of it and I think it's a great idea. I haven't looked into it for us, but dh has a company car anyway. I can see there being supply issues if it really took off, as the main cost savings is in getting the recycled oil free from restaurants.
#89 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:53 AM

I don't know...I'm with Holli 100%. I didn't find the "humor" at all "humorous". In fact, I was so irritated I didn't post when I first read the thread...4 pages ago. My dh loves that we cloth diaper. He does as much "diaper" laundry as I do...and if something were to happen to me he would keep right on cloth diapering. In fact, when we were on vacation I wanted to buy ONE disposable at a park in Disneyworld, "just in case". He thought I was crazy and said no way. I'm sorry you are having the problems you describe but it is definetly not the norm. Even so, I can't quite understand why you would post something like you did, even in humor, knowing why mamas are a part of this board. Enviromental reasons and designer cd don't even begin to cover my passion for cloth diapering. Less assumptions would be great.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#90 of 125 Old 01-17-2005, 01:55 AM

Wow! My husband would NEVER say things like this!!!!! First of all, we have found a diapering system that works out very well for us. My baby's butt is never "wet" and she also does NOT stink! I have never had a leak or blow-out in cloth. When we used disposables I was constantly changing not only the poopy diaper but also the poopy clothing. Do you know how often I go through more than one outfit a day since switching to cloth? Almost never, and when I do it's because she spit up. BTW, the diapers that we use are also not bulky. My daughter can wear blue jeans over them with NO problem.

Oh, I'm sure my dh wouldn't mind going back to sposies, but we won't. He never changed diapers when we used sposies to start with, so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't change many cloth diapers either. Even if we went back to sposies, I would still do all the changing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page