Houston Area Diaper Party - THIS FRIDAY! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ETA: The party is set for this Friday, February 11, in the River Oaks area! PM/email me or join the Yahoo! group for details! Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

------
Anybody up for one? I know there are quite a few WAHMs in the area and lots of CD users too. It'd be great to meet some more of you! Does anyone know of a good location? I live in Sugar Land, which seems like a bit of a drive depending on where you're coming from. A good central location would be nice.

Hope to hear from some more Houstonians!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

me! Not up to hosting right now, but I'm game for a party!

-Angela
#3 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 02:15 AM

Depending on how "central" it is... I'll make a trip down. I've missed everybody.
#4 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 02:29 AM

Yep, I miss you guys too! I'll host, but I'm even further out than Heather, so I doubt anyone would show lol.
Just tell me where and me and my little ones will come
#5 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 02:49 AM
Banned

I live at the last organic outpost. I am up for whatever you want to do pm me and we will get this rolling. So nice to see other Houstonians on this format.
#6 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! So glad to see other mamas! Samantha, that'd be awesome if you could make it in!

I was wondering if there might be a public place we could meet, something like a play area where we could reserve a party room or something? I'm thinking of Memorial City Mall but honestly I haven't been there in years. I hear great things about their play area, though. It'd just be nice to have a big space where we can sit, talk, show off fluff, and also somewhere for the kids to play that doesn't destroy someone's house. :LOL A park on a nice day would be great, for that matter.

Ideas?

ETA: Ooh, I just thought how cool it would be to meet at a major park (Hermann, Memorial) and have a banner over our area announcing the "Houston Cloth Diapering Mamas Meetup". Nothing like getting a little attention from the public.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 08:04 AM

I would love to meet local CD mamas (though I still have a little time until I'll be one ). Count me in.

BTW, Memorial City's play area is nice - my sisters' kids love it (ages range from 16 months to 6 yrs).

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#8 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 12:07 PM

I'm in Houston and I actually work across the street from Memorial City Mall. They remodeled it last year and it's gorgeous now. If you guys met up during a work day, I'd happily pop in over lunch

ashlee
#9 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Just moved to Houston two months ago from Michigan I would love to come to the diaper party.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#10 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 01:30 PM

I'm just north of Houston in Magnolia, we could host if you want if you would rather meet at a house. We're about 45-50 min north of downtown. Fridays are good days for us. I work part time but not on Firday!
#11 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 03:35 PM

Memorial City mall is GORGEOUS now!! I love the big seating area with the big fireplace, so comfy. The play area is really nice, its fully enclosed and they only allow so many people in at a time so it doesn't turn into a total madhouse. They keep it manned with an employee at the entrance... no little ones make it out without a parent. They also keep an eye on how old the kids are in there. They have a "yard stick" and if you are taller than it playing for you. It really helps to keep the wilder rough and tumble older kids from squashing the littler kids.
#12 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Banned

My mother's house is right across from memorial city mall. Count me in!
#13 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 PM

I'm right across the street from the mall
The play area gets crowded during certain periods but there are lots of comfy seating 'areas' all around the mall.
I'd offer to host, but my house is just not capable right now!
#14 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 05:05 PM

can we plan to go at a not crowded time? I absolutly HATE crowded play areas where it is hard to keep up with your children, everything is stressful, and the big kids are jumping and pushing around the little kids
#15 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Would there be good areas at Memorial City to sit and talk/show off fluff? I've looked at the mall's website and couldn't find mention of party rooms or anything like they have here at First Colony. Thoughts?

Someone mentioned Fridays - those are great for me, too (though not next week and probably not the week after :LOL). Weekends are busy for us for a few weeks now.

#16 of 56 Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyachristina
I'm right across the street from the mall
The play area gets crowded during certain periods but there are lots of comfy seating 'areas' all around the mall.
I'd offer to host, but my house is just not capable right now!
Christy!! Tori has been asking about Anya. She misses her.
#17 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

Friday is good for me.
#18 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 12:15 AM

Awww! I know that Anya loved Tori too... How is the new home?
#19 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 12:27 AM

DANG! I am new to this board and I am out in Richmond but I am moving back to California tomorrow! I would have loved to meet some of you!
#20 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 12:34 AM

man, what a bummer... I'm in Rosenberg, were practicaly neighbors lol
#21 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 02:00 AM

I want to come! IF we want, I could talk to my church about borrowing a room. It is pretty central, in River Oaks. That way our kids would be the only ones there and we wouldn't have to worry about spreading out or cleaning up. BUt I will be there wherever it winds up being.
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#22 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandKsDom
DANG! I am new to this board and I am out in Richmond but I am moving back to California tomorrow! I would have loved to meet some of you!
Oh no! Rats! Where in CA are you going to? I'm hoping to have this get together before we (maybe) move to northern CA. If we go it'll only be temporary, but I'll miss the mamas here!

#23 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe I'll call Memorial City and see if they have anything we can reserve (though hopefully at no cost - I dunno that anyone wants to pay to come to a diaper party! :LOL). Otherwise, a church in River Oaks would work for me. Somewhere where the kids can't escape :LOL and we have space to chat and look at fluff sounds good.

#24 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 AM

yep, church in riveroaks sounds great to me too. Memorial City mall is most likely gonna charge us to reserve a room. But, sounds like Sam really likes that mall lol, (I've never been) so if we wanna meet there I'll show (and chip in)
#25 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 03:28 AM

Hey don't do the mall for me. Its just amazing how the mall looks now compared to what it use to look like years ago. I can't say that I remember seeing any place that we could "rent out" like the rooms down at First Colony.

A church in River Oaks would be nice too.
#26 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I want to go to Memorial City just to see how it's changed! I can't believe the difference just in the stores listing. It looks like it's competing with the Galleria!

I'll call and see if they have something (though it's not listed on their website). But, I'm sure I can swing out there someday just to, I dunno, shop or something. :LOL

So, Gossamer, let us know what you find out about your church! That might be really ideal.

Would Friday, February 11th, work for everyone? Is that too far away? I, personally, have the next two Fridays booked, so another day of the week (Tuesday?) would work for me sooner. Other thoughts?

#27 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 03:47 AM

Yeah it definitely has that Galleria 'upscale' feel. We always went out there for the Build-A-Bear to avoid the Galleria or Baybrook. And the California Pizza Kitchen.

It's really a hop-skip and a jump using Beltway.
#28 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Banned

It is totally different from when I used to hang out and smoke with my grungie friends in highschool. It is very Galleria now. They have a two story wooden carousel in the food court now. It is really beautiful, and the also had a changing area with a rocking chair in it the last time I went. I was very impressed by that! It is so much nicer than it used to be. Of course that was a long time ago. They also have an ice skating rink with a large fireplace next to it. Really fancy.
#29 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

I just thought taft street coffee house has meeting rooms I can see if any of them might be avaliable. It is an organic coffee house with a excectic christian book store and art gallery. If we wanted to swing another way. It is in Montrose on Taft St. ,Duh.
#30 of 56 Old 01-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

I just posted that we are trying to put a diaper party together on our yahoo group. I would be happy to bring info on how to sew your own diapers too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page