Mothering Forum banner

Poopy Dipes?

536 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Undercover Hippie 
#1 ·
What is you system for poopy dipes?

#2 ·
Most of our poopys are still relatively liquid so all I do with them is toss them in the dry pail. The few times we have had a bit of solidity I have just rinsed them off in the laundry sink and thrown the wet diaper in the pail. I guess if I didn't have a laundry sink I would have been dunking and swishing in the toilet. As long as there aren't chunks I think my washing machine takes care of cleaning the poop just fine.

#3 ·
For poopy dipes I change as quickly as I can, then I haul the dipe and the wipes into the bathroom. If it was a solid poopy I dump it into the toilet and drop the diaper into the pail and don't think about it again until wash day. If it was a nasty sticky one I fill an old peri bottle with water and spray it off before it goes into the pail. Dh will even dunk and swish, but I am too grossed out by the toilet to do much of that kind of thing. I haven't had any trouble with dipes coming clean in the wash, though I do have a couple with stains.

Is this what you were wanting to know?

#4 ·
We almost always change C in the master bedroom, and take the poopers to the toilet where we dump, then swish (or just drop in toilet to let it soak a bit if its a messier one). Then w/ tongs I'll swish it around and pull it out and put it in the wet pail. (we dry pail pee diapers)

I moved to having a wet pail around 2-3mo when I was getting tired of having sun so many diapers. For me its just easier to keep a wet pail for poopers. We've virtually had no stains since moving to this system.

#6 ·
I pray that I used a flushable liner

then drop in in the can and drop the dipe in the washer.
I may be really odd but I don't even have a diaper pail other wise I was holdling on to the diaper filled with smelly stuff all day. instead I drop them in the washer all day and use that as my "pail" I wash daily. If it is really messy, I rinse it in the sink but really with the big liner that rarely happens.

#9 ·
I take it off and leave it in the laundry sink for awhile (the dryer, the easier to peel off fleece) and then shake it into the toilet later or just rinse it right there in the sink. The laundry sink is so cool... a nice place where you can do disgusting things without worrying about cleaning it in time to strain your spaghetti!
Then I rinse it with hot water, wring it out, put it in the dry pail with the rest of the diapers, wash my hands, put lotion on my hands, and get on with my day.

I do a cold prewash that takes care of most of it. I haven't had any problems.

#10 ·
I use an infant prefold as a changing pad, change the dipe, put new dipe on, take poopy dipe to bathroom and squirt off w/ the indispensable Mini Shower (really, they are a necessity imo!) and stick it in the (dry) pail. Then I usually spray down the toilet w/ vinegar and wipe it off w/ a wipe (I keep the wipes in the bathroom).

#11 ·
I too pray that I used a flushable liner! But unfortunately more often than not I didn't.

If I didn't I take the fleece liner or diaper into the bathroom, let solids drop into the toilet, then put the diaper in a plastic jug, hold the edge and run the bathtub tap on it full force. Then I dump the poopy water from the jug into the toilet. I do this a few times if I have to until most of the poop is gone, let the diaper drip dry for a few hours, then put it in the dry pail til wash day.

#12 ·
This probably isn't that different than other people's responses but I know I wanted to hear every single person's method when I was a newbie.

If it's a liquidy breastmilk poop I just throw it in the dry pail with the other diapers. If it's a sticky food poop I take it upstairs to the bathroom, dunk and swish (holding on to a clean corner and without putting my hand in the toilet LOL) until all chunks are off, same with the wipes, then it all goes into a dry pail next to the toilet. Is it a dry pail if all the dipes are dripping wet when they go in it? Anyway, there is no extra water or anything in the pail. When it is wash day (every other day) I take this pail downstairs, run its contents on a small rinse, then add the other diapers and do my full hot wash.

I was just throwing them all into the dry pail without dunking, but I then I had to clean pieces of partially digested food out of my washer once... eww...
:

Tara

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.