Those with hemp stink..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it certain types of hemp or is it all hemp?
Is there certain diaper styles that doesnt get the stink, or is it anything help?

I'm wondering, because all my hemp fleece diapers get real stinky, as I have super HARD well water. So I have a bit of hemp jersey, which is thinner, do you think a thiner hemp might be less prone to stink?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 01:45 AM

I think all hemp will unfortunately begin to stink if not thoroughly rinsed of detergent and or waste. It is so dense that it quite often needs a little extra TLC. I had a hard time believing that detergent build up or not completely rinsed diapers could be the main cause for stink until I delved into my stink problem . First you need to make sure you are rinsing fully and with hot enough water. A quick original cold rinse is good for the majority surface waste, but to get deep down, you really need the HOT water in the second stage of washing. This can be accomplished by turning he heat up on your hot water heater about 30 minutes before washing, don't forget to turn it back down after though or throw in a pot of boiling water. Third, you need to make sure and rinse again with cold to ensure the soap is fully rinsed. Check your water during agitation to see if suds exist. This is where I was amazed. It took me 8 rinses the first time I tried to strip my diapers because I used too much detergent! I try to be cautious now and check the rinse cycle for suds when I remember. I also decided to try a different detergent (which I didn't believe would really do anything) and I never have build up now. I think I have semi-soft water and the detergent I was using didn't waork as well with the water as the one I use now. I always thought it was funny to read all of these threads about how much time people spend learning how to wash diapers, but you can't beat the amazing quality of absorption that hemp offers. So it is definitely worth it to take a couple of steps to see what might be causing the problem.

Oh, did you ask a simple question??? :

Hemp fleece is a brushed form of Hemp French Terry, so both of those would function fairly close to the same; but hemp jersey lacks the density and high absorption quality these other two have. It is great for daytime wear when needing much less absorption and a thinner diaper and yes it probably will not stink as much. But, I don't think you will find it has nearly the same absorption quality as the other two do.
#3 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 02:51 AM

I'm also finding that the # of layers contributes to the odour build up ... anything more than 2 gets stinky ...2 or less wash through cleanly and come out odourless. (I'm talking hemp french terry layers). It's like any layers stuck in the middle don't get clean quite as easily.

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#4 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 02:54 PM

ITA with the PPs!

another suggestion i'd like to make when washing hemp is to not overload the washer. i wash no more than a dozen or so diapers at a time on a large setting, so they have lots of room to swish around.

detergent REALLY makes a difference! i always wondered about 'stinky hemp'. my hemp never had the stink that i read about. one time, i used my mom's off-brand detergent and the next day, ds's diapers smelled like ammonia when i took them off him. THE VERY NEXT DAY!! i took my entire diaper bin, dumped it in the washer and rewashed everything with my regular detergent and never had another problem.
#5 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 04:54 PM

I've got the hemp stink problem, too. It was all my various kinds of hemp. I bought Calgon water softner several weeks ago and did a few strip washes. I've been using Calgon in every wash since and the stink is gone. Yea!
#6 of 9 Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Internal soakers get stinky faster then snap in or lay in ones.
#7 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to take a chance, and I am making a couple aios from hemp jersey, so well see what happens! And now that I am using Shelly method turning the water level down, it seems they are rinsing better.

detergent does matter, i agrree!! i never buy generic brand, but my hubby did once and yuck!!!
#8 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 01:01 AM

I mentioned the hemp stink problem once to a CD-ing friend and she suggested using "sport wash" occasionally to get the odor out. I bought some, but haven't used it yet. Several people have mentioned that the detergent makes a huge difference- may I ask what you use that works well?

Thanks!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Sport wash does NOT work in my hard water. When I lived in CA I loved it and used it all the time for fresch clean diapers. Here, it doesnt work at all, makes it way worse.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page