Fitted dipes.....doesn't baby feel wet and icky? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've started using some fitted diapers.....I absolutely love my fireflies because they are soooooo trim under clothing. However, in my mind I just think my DD would be more comfy in a pocket diaper since there is a seperation between her bum and the absorbent material. I know that if I had something cold and wet touching my skin, then I would be uncomfortable. I've tried placing a piece of fleece inside our fireflies, but it still feels wet whenever I change her. Plus, DD is a very heavy wetter, so the urine usually creeps up into the wings of the diaper around her tummy and back.

What do you guys think? Especailly for night time......I'm starting to hate my Wonderoos at night because the waist of them does some weird under-curl thing and gets her pants damp. I know a lot of people use fitteds and wool for nighttime....but this just seems so cold and wet to me! Am I being too weird about it? Does it really bother my baby or just me, lol!

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#2 of 23 Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 PM

I think it bothers some kids more than others. Some don't seem to mind, others do. When my DS was a baby, he couldn't have cared less if he was wet or not. Now, he cares and he lets me know, lol. He's a little over 2. He hates to be wet. He tells me as soon as he pees and the diaper has got to come off, lol. He will actually strip off his pants and take his own diaper off after he pees. Maybe they care more as they get older. But, I have known babies who hated to be wet, and I have known toddlers who didn't care. I think it depends on the kid.

Now, nighttime, I would go for a fleece lining. We use fitteds during the day, when I can change him often.
#3 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 12:18 AM

Ethan is not a fan of the wetness that he feels with fitteds. He would immediately get fussy and ultra-squirmy...which was less than ideal when we were out of the house and I couldn't change him immediately.
I was also a little grossed out by the way that wetness seemed to travel in the fitteds we had...like the entire dipe would get soaked, not just the area where he peed and he's not really a heavy wetter. He can get by well with a single joey bunz in a Wonderoo.
I use mostly pockets now, and he seems much more comfortable.
#4 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 01:24 AM

I think frequent changing is key for comfort in a fitted. Not just so that the baby feels dry, but so that when he/she is wet, it is still warm. Warm and wet is more comfortable IMO, though I try not to test this personally.

I also agree that tolerance for wet diapers vary greatly among children. Most of mine have been in the couldn't care less camp.
#5 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristusG
I know a lot of people use fitteds and wool for nighttime....but this just seems so cold and wet to me! Am I being too weird about it? Does it really bother my baby or just me, lol!

We've been using fitteds and wool for nighttime lately. I do put a fleece topped doubler in the fitted, but you are right that the wetness does travel around the wings... I've found that the wool actually keeps the diaper warm even after it is wet. DS doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I'm sure it does vary from baby to baby though.
#6 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 AM

I agree w/ the pp who said it bothers some kids and not others. Really, it doesn't get cold if it's touching their skin, kwim? However, I think changing as soon as the dipe is wet is the best policy.
#7 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 02:22 AM

I think it depends on the fleece as well. Thicker fleeces still feel damp to me.

And yes the wetness bothers some babies more then others. DS always wakes up if he gets or feels wet.
#8 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 AM

I have both organic fitteds and fleece pockets in my rotation right now, and no matter which type I use on my 4-month old, he will fuss whenever he wets so I have to change him anyway. So for me, having all the organic stuff next to his bum is more important than anything else.
#9 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 AM

That is exactly why we quit using fitteds. My dd has HATED being wet from day one and let us know LOUDLY So we have switched to aios for days and pockets for nights. Much better for everyone (and we still always change as SOON as she wets, those 60-120 seconds are just better for everyone this way....)

-Angela
#10 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 03:36 AM

k is actually more like to pick at a wet diaper if she's in a pocket rather than a fitted! she's not really bothered by being wet, though, in general. heck, sometimes i don't even know she's poo'd until i smell her-- she doesn't register anything (ya know, like some kids grunt or squirm or won't sit down once they've poo'd), so i have to check her whenever she even farts! :LOL
#11 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 AM

I was wondering the same thing. Up until now I've been using fitteds with wool. I love the idea of her skin "breathing" and the all natural fibers. But now I'm thinking of switching to fuzzibunz. I tried just laying a fleece liner inside, and it just doesn't seem to keep her skin dry the same way. She's always so soaked in the fitteds, all the way up to her waist. Although she seems to care less, I just have this strong desire to keep her warm and dry - lol!

What convinced me to convert is that I wear a fleece top at night (and I'm an all natural fibers person)! I was wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt, but everytime we nursed it would get wet, and then I'd be uncomfortable all night. Not so uncomfortable that I would get up and change, but still it bothered me. So, I kind of think that although my dd doesn't cry when she's wet, it might still bother her like it does me.
#12 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 11:42 AM

Since dd can tell me when she is uncomfortable (she grabs at her diaper if she wants it changed) I figure the wetness and following discomfort is a GOOD thing because she knows when she wets and I think in the long run it'll help with pt. I do use fleece lined doublers at night, but today she woke up dry (YAY!). When she was itty bitty, the wetness bothered her then too, but I just change frequently and used the fleece topped doublers at night.
#13 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 11:46 AM

It definitely bothers me DD to be wet, but I look on that as a good thing. She lets me know right away, with this certain kind of squirmy fussiness, that she's wet, and I can change her right away. In this way, she's never had a rash or irritation at all. If she didn't feel wet, I might not know she WAS wet, so she might sit around that way for too long. Also, I am figuring this will help with potty learning when that happy day arrives, because she'll be aware of having peed, and uncomfortable because of it, so she'll maybe be more motivated to achieve bladder control.

I do use stay-dry pockets when I know I might not be able to change her right away, like on long drives, and also at night.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 AM

My 2 year old will tell me sometimes if he wants a new diaper, but other times he will run away and say that he didn't pee, but he would be soaked when I got to him
#15 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 11:58 AM

Hmmmmm... I haven't really thought much about this. I love fitteds and wool for my dd at night but it's true that she is wet in the morning, even tho I use a fleece liner.

Are there any good nighttime fitteds that are entirely fleece lined? And does this keep the babe drier?
#16 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 12:08 PM

Well during the day I change him as soon as he pees, so he never sits in a wet diaper ... in fact, he'll come running to me when he's wet asking to be changed.

As far as nighttime, I use a fitted with a fleece topped doubler so it's not just wet hemp sitting against him all night. Most nights he's dry all night, then wakes up and pees in the morning anyway. But no, using a fitted and wool never bothers him, in fact, it seems much more comfortable b/c it breathes more than PUL and is cooler.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#17 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 PM

I have notices that my baby's sking look MUCH healthier when he wears fitted/prefolds against his skin rather than pockets (or fleece lined dipes) all the time.

You will also notice the difference in the summer time - coverless fitted/prefolds are a much better option for the skin on hot summer days.

I do love pockets for overnight and outings. At home though, he walks around in fitted and coverless - I change him as soon as he wets his dipe
#18 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 03:27 PM

It bothers me. I will only put her in something with fleece (or suedcloth) for night time, or outings when I can't change her right away. I also rarely used fitteds without fleece anymore even during the day. I love how kissaluvs catch newborn poo, but I hate how wet they feel after she pees. They usually are the last ones I use now.
I figure if I wouldn't want to be wet, I won't make my baby either.
I love my pockets!

Every baby and momma is going to be different. You have to find out what works best for you and your baby.
#19 of 23 Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM

I think having enough absorbency in the diaper at nighttime is helpful so the thing doesn't get saturated front to back, only damp in the wet zone. I am creeped out by fleece so I don't go there, I just change a lot so my son's mostly in a dry diaper. During the day that's easy but at night it's really not much harder to throw in a diaper change or two if he's wet--he stirs and wakes me (we sleep in a family bed) a couple times per night anyway and I keep a fresh night diaper within arm's reach and just swap them out and pull the longies back up on top--he doesn't wake up, the process actually calms him back into a regular sleep because he's just so used to mom changing his diaper that it's soothing.
#20 of 23 Old 02-02-2005, 01:37 AM

I can't stand ds being in a prefold or fitted, if he doesn't have a liner in between his butt and the diaper. This is why we use all-pockets. I feel good because ds' skin is ALWAYS away from the pee, even the breastfed poops go through the fleece or suedecloth sometimes (not that I wouldn't change him immediately after a poopy dipe, but you kwim) so this is why we stopped using fitteds and prefolds. (well prefolds, mostly because they were too simple for me) I really enjoyed using hyena fitteds for a while, I really liked LD's and LC's, but the whole thing of covering with a cover, made it seem like a waste! I couldn't actually *see* the $20 diaper under a white cover! LOL
#21 of 23 Old 02-02-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I think having enough absorbency in the diaper at nighttime is helpful so the thing doesn't get saturated front to back, only damp in the wet zone. I am creeped out by fleece so I don't go there, I just change a lot so my son's mostly in a dry diaper. During the day that's easy but at night it's really not much harder to throw in a diaper change or two if he's wet--he stirs and wakes me (we sleep in a family bed) a couple times per night anyway and I keep a fresh night diaper within arm's reach and just swap them out and pull the longies back up on top--he doesn't wake up, the process actually calms him back into a regular sleep because he's just so used to mom changing his diaper that it's soothing.
us, too. mancub is actually usually dry until about 5am, then i change him at 5 and he stirs again at 6:30 or so and pees then. not bad!

during the day if he pees he lets me know, or sometimes i can tell ahead of time. i change him right away. if we are out and in the car, he'll let me know when he pees (or peeps, as it is in our house!) but he is generally pretty patient about it till we get to where we're going.

not a fan of microfleece...
#22 of 23 Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Same here. And, the diaper is always wet and still warm when I change it. Even at night when it's been longer since he peed, it's definatly not COLD--sort of close to his body temperature I'd say, slightly less. And organic velour doesn't feel so awful when wet compared to other cotton and hemp/cotton, IMO.
#23 of 23 Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 PM

DS could care less. It bugs DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page