Do I have less of a chance??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With the upcoming flufflymail stocking, do I have less of a chance of getting something simple because I don't know anyone to try to help me get some diapers? This is something that I have been thinking about. I participate on the diapering board but am not nearly involved as some, so when I see threads about people helping each other get something makes me think that I don't have a chance Takes me back to gym class when all the popular kids got picked first. Just something I have been thinking about....
#2 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 03:47 PM

I don't think so. I have collected all of my FCBs (a small amount) by myself. You can do it!
#3 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:41 PM

I feel like I don't have a chance because my computer's so slow. Also, I don't know if I have the patience to sit at a computer for 48 hrs straight hitting refresh...refresh...refresh...refresh...refresh... knowing that in the time it takes my computer to refresh the screen, all of the diapers will sell out!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#4 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM

I completely sympathize with your feelings on this. I was never good at the popularity contest stuff. Heck, I have almost 800 posts and still feel like no one knows me. I think the chummy clique thing is more prevalent on diapering than on other forums. Maybe its just the level of traffic here.

I think it is true that you have less of a chance. There will be people shopping for others. And, it is hard to beg for help when you don't feel as chummy. I think everything will be gone in a matter of seconds, and people will probably buy as much as they can get their hands. It won't be pretty, lots of people will be unhappy, and that's why I am staying away. I would love to try an aio, but I don't like what these things bring out in us.
#5 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:43 PM

don't feel bad. i don't have a date for the fluffymail stocking either. i'll be going stag. if i go at all.

honestly, i do feel that lots of mamas will be working together on this. and it is a popularity contest of sorts, imo. and, like gym class, it sucks.
#6 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:46 PM

Not only does it suck to the mommas that just want to try one, but it also sucks for the WAHM. It all gets very confusing and quite a bit of work when "I bought this for so-n-so" or "she will be paying you"
That is very confusing......VERY

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#7 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM

IRL, no one knows or cares what's on my baby's butt anyway. It's only on MDC that it makes any sense.... So I plan to brag that I got everything I wanted and more and I'm not sharing! Even if I don't get anything. :LOL

They're just diapers. Perspective. And I'm going stag, too.
#8 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:49 PM

well they just sent an announcement saying you cant do that anymore... get something for so-n-so... it all has to be shipped to the same addess and that address has to be the one on the invoice... so unless everyone gives out their username and password then I dont think there will be as much of it.
#9 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
Not only does it suck to the mommas that just want to try one, but it also sucks for the WAHM. It all gets very confusing and quite a bit of work when "I bought this for so-n-so" or "she will be paying you"
That is very confusing......VERY
I agree. Wisely, the fm mommas have said they won't do it. So people will just have to mail stuff twice.
#10 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
don't feel bad. i don't have a date for the fluffymail stocking either. i'll be going stag. if i go at all.
:
#11 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:53 PM

I sympathize with you on the popularity contest thing, and I felt that way quite a bit when I first started coming to diapering about a year ago, and now that I've been around a while, I don't feel that way so much.

I've NEVER once been successful at a stocking! And while I do have a partner this time, we are both seeking the same things, so who knows.

good luck

I love your username too!

namaste.gif

#12 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 04:56 PM

Back in the day I won the title of "most diapers bought in one stocking" I bet I have been beat by now but I wore that badge proud :LOL

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#13 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:00 PM

What really bugs me more than the helping each other part are the public comments people make about how they would never try for something because they know so and so wants it for their baby for such and such a reason. It always just feels like they are saying "I won't compete with my "friends," but screw the rest of you." Lets face it, any time you are participating in one of these hyena stalkings, you are buying stuff that someone else really wants. Why is it ok to beat out some, but not others?
#14 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 PM

I think anyone has a chance. I have never had a "helper" at FM stocking, and I usually score.(except the last one ) Just a matter of being there at the exact time they stock!! GL!!
#15 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:19 PM

Good perspective!

In my short time here it seems that a lot of hyenas turn over their stashes rather frequently, so we non-hyenas can stalk the TP for a chance to try the hyena dipes. (What animal gets hyena left-overs? Field mice? Are there any field mice sites out there for us non-hyenas?) :LOL
#16 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
What really bugs me more than the helping each other part are the public comments people make about how they would never try for something because they know so and so wants it for their baby for such and such a reason. It always just feels like they are saying "I won't compete with my "friends," but screw the rest of you." Lets face it, any time you are participating in one of these hyena stalkings, you are buying stuff that someone else really wants. Why is it ok to beat out some, but not others?
you know what? this is so true, especially on the heels of the mosaic moon ebay soaker dealio, I mean many many people said they would not bid and "I hope you get it" ect ect without stopping to think.. hey wait a minute, that was another mama who had been bidding on it initially .. sometimes these things just get ugly and there will be unhappy people left in the wake, it sort of reminds me of survival of the fittest.

I sometimes even wonder if its ethical or wise to stalk for other people... I dunno I suspect I need to think more on that one.

I do think sometimes that diapering can be a little too cliquey and at the end of the day these are just diapers and there are real people and feelings behind all the user names.
#17 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Well, I can truthfully say my inbox has been FILLED with people wanting to be my friend and offering me all their pickings from the FCB stocking. FIRST DIBS even! I am so dang popular around here. I can thank my sparkling personality, my ability to spend money, and of course the fact that I have a hottie husband in uniform!

It's a cross I have always had to bear but I do it with a smile on my face. You wouldn't believe the PMS I get, people offering to GIVE me their BBB pants, their Elbee spots, heck even the stuff them self with their own money!

What are you looking for my dear? If I am on when they stock and can grab it for you I will.

Really I don't need anything (cuz you know everyone give stuff to me anyway!) so if you want a friend I can be yours

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#18 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 05:51 PM

:LOL

I can take you laughing at me because I am popular and have many friends. Yes I do. Yup. That's me. With the friends. All this talk about what people want to score at FluffyMail? Really presents for me.

PMS and all!

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#19 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I was never good at the popularity contest stuff. Heck, I have almost 800 posts and still feel like no one knows me.
I know you! Who else will really dig into economic and social theory debates with me? : :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL
#20 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 06:25 PM

the sad thing is that this is all over diapers. yes, i love our cloth very much and it is fun but it is just a piece of clothing. i would be happy to try one out and at first i got caught up in the excitement of stalking for one. i have been thinking about it more though and i know my girls could care less about a diaper and rather have a fun and happy mama rather than one sitting at a computer and hitting refresh for 48 hours - not that they or my dh would stand for it! :LOL let's just keep it all in perspective in the big realm of things. i am going to go hide under my chair now ---> : ah, what do i care, i am not part of the diaper divas either so
#21 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I completely sympathize with your feelings on this. I was never good at the popularity contest stuff. Heck, I have almost 800 posts and still feel like no one knows me.
Hey, I know you!!!

I agree there is a clique atmosphere here. I'd say it's more of a frequent poster sort of thing though. If you get to know a person IRL or on the web, you have more conversations with them. That can look like a clique if on a thread it starts out about XYZ and turns into a back and forth chat over something personal. But, it doesn't mean that there's not room for others to be frequent posters. REally, though, I think it's more important to be popular IRL than in a board devoted to pee and poo catching!

On a serious note though, I hear many of you saying you felt left out. I'm sorry if I assisted in you feeling this way through my posts. Truly, my heart is open to all of you. And, I'm sorry you did not feel included.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#22 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 10:33 PM

What clique? How do I get to be a member of this clique? I was prom queen in high school. Is that good enough?
#23 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
What clique? How do I get to be a member of this clique? I was prom queen in high school. Is that good enough?
OMG, I hated the prom queen!

namaste.gif

#24 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
OMG, I hated the prom queen!
:
#25 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 10:51 PM

:LOL

namaste.gif

#26 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 11:14 PM

:nana:
#27 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 11:24 PM

So, Jen,
1. Were you a cool prom queen or a snooty one?
2. Did you want to invite me to your Sweet Sixteen or just copy my notes before the big exam?
3. Would you loan me a #2 pencil during the SAT or spit in my Diet Coke?
4. Did you offer to loan me your Izod sweater or pop holes in my secret stash of condoms because you knew it woudl be one less teenager to compete for Prom Queen against?

Hmmm? Hmmmm? Enquiring minds want to know!

#28 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 PM

This thread is cracking me up!
I don't think I'm part of the clique, I'm the one who wanders around the circle and pretends to be a part of the group hoping that one day I'll just blend in :LOL
#29 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH
This thread is cracking me up!
I don't think I'm part of the clique, I'm the one who wanders around the circle and pretends to be a part of the group hoping that one day I'll just blend in :LOL
Well, at least you're not with Mamaroni smokin' behind the gym!!! :nana

#30 of 129 Old 02-02-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holli
Christy, I'm right there with you. I am the one who just keeps talking to everyone and they either talk back or ignore me. Either way, it's fine with me!

But, Spark lets me sit next to her at lunch!

Holli
Well, Holli, only if you wear your Elbee/KP/BBB and anything else that rhymes. You have to look cool to eat sloppy joes with me!

Disclaimer: I love PFs... so I'm not that fancy!!! :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page