Best/cheapest inserts for pocket diapers? Please help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!
I am completely confused about the different types of inserts available for pockets. It seems that some people stuff with PF's which are cheap but bulky. Then there are microterry inserts, and MOE ineserts (which I think are just brand name microterry inserts?), then the hemp types, which cost a lot more, but seem trim. What about other types of doublers, like the kissaluvs ones? Would these work? I want to know all the pros and cons, including price, absorbancy, and trimness, before I go buy a bunch of them to stuff my FB's with.
Thanks!
#2 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM

:
#3 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousli
Then there are microterry inserts
, and MOE ineserts (which I think are just brand name microterry inserts?),
Yes, Mother of Eden also makes Fuzzi Bunz.
then the hemp types, which cost a lot more, but seem trim.
What about other types of doublers, like the kissaluvs ones?
Would these work? I want to know all the pros and cons, including price, absorbancy, and trimness, before I go buy a bunch of them to stuff my FB's with.
Thanks!
Just tried Cotton Babies micro terry inserts- apparently they are a bit more absorbant than MOE's- but similar in material
I love Joey Bunz because they are so trim. They also distribute the pee better than micro terry.

I'm pming you now.
#4 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 03:21 PM

I prefer hemp inserts...but that's just me

As far as which inserts work best ... a lot of the time it depends on the actual pocket that you're stuffing it into.

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#5 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM

For nighttime, if she's in a pocket I use PFs because the bulk doesn't matter. For the daytime, if she's in a pocket diaper or trainer, I tend to go with hemp fleece or burley knit terry for absorbancy and trimness. Really, it took trial and error on my part to find what worked for us.

When making your decision, though, also consider how often your babe will be changed and how heavy a wetter he or she is. Now that Em wakes up dry most mornings, we really don't need the absorbancy of everything I stuff in there at night, lol....force of habit, perhaps. :P

Jennifer
#6 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 PM

We like Cloth-Ease inserts from www.greenacredesigns.com Cheap, work great, and are so trim

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#7 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 PM

I love the microterry inserts I got w/FB's I purchased from Cotton Babies. At night I use a MF insert and wrap it in a Hemp Baby Little Weed or use Happy Heiny Stuffin (hemp) insert.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#8 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 08:30 PM

ebay has doublers and inserts made by several wahms.
#9 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I definitely recommend getting an insert sampler to try a little of everything! I got one from Cloth Diapers 'n More (now part of Whole Family Market) that was inexpensive but gave me a good variety of things to try. (I've seen similar options at JamTots, and possibly others.)

I've tried: MOE Microterry inserts, JoeyBunz, Duz-it-Alls, JamTots 2-layer inserts, PFs... and I've resorted to assorted doublers on occasion. :LOL

What I typically use: During the day I love the using MOE microterry inserts - good absorbency, trim, and very soft and squishy (so the width of the FBs doesn't bother him). I sometimes use one JB or Duz-it-All (folded in 4ths for our size small FBs), which gives us super-trim, and VERY absorbent. DS slept through the night once in a FB with just a DIA! :

At night, I always "double stuff." I have more MOE inserts than anything else, so typically it's an MOE on top (nearest the fleece), then one of the others. I use PFs when I know we'll be getting up fairly early and don't need as much asborbency as the hemp may provide. Two MOEs works well, too. The PFs are definitely alot bulkier, but like the PP, I don't mind so much at night.

Ultimately, almost anything will work! I have found myself stuffing a nighttime FB with a PF, Ella's hemp insert, and a couple of doublers from other dipes. :LOL But I really do like using ones that are made for FB, becuase they're the right width. My DS generally sleeps on his side, so I'm afraid if they're too narrow that we might get leaks.

I did just buy two "seconds" inserts from Punkin-Butt that are supposed to be for FB. At $2/ea, I couldn't pass them up!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been into using flats for pocket stuffers. I often line dry and this system dries in no time flat (pun intended ). I use one for daytime (really!) and 2 for any other time I might need a bit extra. They're super trim and do a good job of distributing the pee throughout the fabric.

Most are birdseye from granitesmith (ebay seller), but some are the see-thru gauze ones by Gerber and I love those just as much!!
#11 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 09:47 PM

I love me my Duz-it-alls! Super cheap AND one size AND trim. They dry in one dryer cycle, too. YUM!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#12 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 PM

claire, are the duz it all flats or two layer?
#13 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
I've been into using flats for pocket stuffers. I often line dry and this system dries in no time flat (pun intended ). I use one for daytime (really!) and 2 for any other time I might need a bit extra. They're super trim and do a good job of distributing the pee throughout the fabric.

Most are birdseye from granitesmith (ebay seller), but some are the see-thru gauze ones by Gerber and I love those just as much!!
me too! feelin' the flat love. so trim, so quick-dry, and cheap!

$14/doz plus free shipping @ www.nopinsforbaby.com
#14 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 PM

try cottonbabies inserts!!! I love them!
#15 of 17 Old 02-08-2005, 11:11 PM

Punkinbutt has a great price on hemp flats too, 6 for $20.00 but I don't know if that includes shipping. The are a really nice size!
#16 of 17 Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 AM

i can't believe infant prefolds have not been mentioned. I use them exclsively in my Wonderoos. I love them!

ETA
Oh- I see why prefolds were not mentioned. Really though, infant prefolds are not that bulky.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#17 of 17 Old 02-09-2005, 12:56 AM

I bought a couple of microterry kitchen towels at the $ store. They were 14" X 16" and came in pink and mint and yellow and baby blue. 2 of those are thin, squishy and super absorbant

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page