Cloth diapers...It's a family thing;) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you the only one in your family that cloth diapers? My mom cloth diapered all her children. Now my sister (papaya rain) and I use cloth. I hope my children use cloth on their children So does your family have a history of using cloth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 01:57 PM

my mom did and my brother and sil are going to.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:59 PM

Well I know my mom used cloth on me ...I have a picture to prove it LOL ....but I also know she used disposables on at least 2 of my siblings and was adamant when dd was born that I should NOT use cloth because it's such a hassle (I think she was still remembering the plastic pants and flats with pins) ...

I'm obviously using it (more than using!) and I think that if any of my siblings have babies they'll probably use it as well (I'd kick their butts if they didn't!)

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

Old 02-10-2005, 02:04 PM

that's awesome that your sister uses. and she's so popular around here. guess you'll be popular by association.

my grandmother, of course, used cloth. she is my biggest cd and bf advocate. she is 83 and soooo cute. when we have family gatherings and there are other sposied kids around, my grandmother will lean over to me and whisper things like, "those pampers just can't be good for a baby. it's just not natural." i love it. and i love her! everyone else just thinks i'm wacked.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:05 PM

My mom did on the first 2 of us. My sis tried it for one diaper. I had sent her a complete supply too! Her complaint was the her pants didn't fit. HELLO! Get new pants, they are cheaper than sposies. SIL didn't, but will IF she has more kids. Another SIL thinks cloth is grosss. Yet another SIL lived with us & will use cloth.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

The thing is I know my brother and sil won't use cloth. O'well. They know how my sister and I feel about it. They see all the cute diapers we have :LOL you'd think that would be enough to turn anybody on to cloth diapering
Old 02-10-2005, 02:11 PM

Nope, I'm the only wierdo, actually I think I'm the only normal one. My youngest BIL may possibly use cloth - if we can ever get him married :LOL Dh is a great cd advocate - I overheard him telling someone on the phone the other day that if we ever have another baby (a hope that I am still holding on to) that baby will NEVER have a disposible touch his or her skin - period! He talks to BIL about it quite frequently so at least the seed has been planted, we'll see if he runs with it or not.

My mom used cloth on my brother and me - but my brother thinks cloth is gross so I don't think there's any chance with him, but you never know, he could find a nice normal girl who wants to use cloth - that would teach him!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:14 PM

ME in cloth LOL

I can still remember what those plastic pants felt like around my legs...UGH!!!

(sorry the pic's a bit blurry ... I photographed my baby album)

Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM

My mother cded both my brother and I because he got rashes from sposies and it was just easier to cd both of us. 12 years later she used sposies on my sister I'm the only one in my family. They think I'm a freak! :LOL My sister wants to cd when she has a baby!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:19 PM

My sister and I were CD'd and now my sister (Nannymom) and I both cd our babes.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 02-10-2005, 02:24 PM

EVERYONE in my family uses cloth! :LOL

My mother used cloth on us -- washed them by hand in the tub!

My aunt who lived with us when her kids were babies used cloth. She made her ex pay for a diaper service!

My brother & SIL definitely used cloth on their first child at least, though I think they may have switched to sposies with their 2nd and/or 3rd kids.

My other aunt also used cloth I think -- at least in the beginning. She may have switched, too.

My dp's brother & SIL have CD'd both their kids!

If my half sister has a baby, she'd better use cloth! :LOL She will if I have anything to do with it! Same goes for my friends.

I have absolutely NO experience with sposie-wearing babies!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
that's awesome that your sister uses. and she's so popular around here.
She was ALWAYS the popular one! :LOL

Jessi that it sooo cool you have a picture of you in cloth. Now I will have to go through our baby pics to see if I can find one of me. I always had bloomers on!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM

In case no one can tell ... I'm wearing a VERY scrunched up in the crotch flat diaper .... it could NOT have been comfy.

I have very vague memories of helping my mom fold flats for my brother and holding the pins for her when she was changing him ... I would have been 3+ ... sadly I have no such memories of cd's for my youngest two siblings ...instead I remember disposable perfume when I try to think about them being diapered.

Memories are such strange things

Old 02-10-2005, 02:49 PM

well it couldn't have been that uncomfortable, you were smiling

I have a picture somewhere of me and my cousin in nothing but plastic pants. I'm the only one who cd's out of my sisters and my cousins. I'm a freak, and they all think it's disgusting. But I'm not the one whining about poop explosions and stinky diaper pails...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:52 PM

My mom used cloth, but my sister used sposies. She thinks sposies are cheaper because you only have to change them when poopy, so what's the savings?
Thank goodness both her kids have potty learned at 2!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:53 PM

I cd as did MIL. HOwever, she is totally sposie happy now-constantly saying that cloth is too bulky and that the new super absorbent sposies are easier cause you can change less! I am pretty sure my SIL is gonna be a big cd-she is very interested in it! My other two sisters are totally unwilling converts, so no luck there!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:55 PM

Mama cded me and MIL cded dh. Not sure about our siblings. I'm thinking we'll be the only next generation cders now. Unless my niece was converted when MIL was buying some of my nb stash.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
She thinks sposies are cheaper because you only have to change them when poopy
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
Thank goodness both her kids have potty learned at 2!
If I were her kid I'd prefer the potty too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGalHeidi
However, she is totally sposie happy now-constantly saying that cloth is too bulky and that the new super absorbent sposies are easier cause you can change less!
Would this idea please GO AWAY?!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-10-2005, 03:18 PM

What really kills me is when the close family members of WAHMs don't CD. Especially when I hear about a hyena wahm offering a whole free stash or something, you know? Does that kill anyone else?

Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM

I was cd'd most of the time as was dh. Though mil can't understand why we are using cloth now Sometimes I think she disagrees with me just for the sake of being disagreeable.

My aunt used cloth - even sewed her own - on her kids but only for the first few months. My sister will use cloth when she has kids. She likes to come upstairs and rifle through my fabric picking this one and that, asking me to save a piece for her "someday stash" :LOL I have a feeling though, given her already keen shopping skills that she will turn out to be a hyena and will be out stalking all the big sites before long.

mum to a crew...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
What really kills me is when the close family members of WAHMs don't CD. Especially when I hear about a hyena wahm offering a whole free stash or something, you know? Does that kill anyone else?

That blows me away! I always think about that. Could you imagine having it all right there for you!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM

My mom CDed me (only child) and DH's mom CDed all four of her kids. My mom's BF who is like a second mom to me CDed her daughter (3 years older than me) and one of my BF who is like a sister to me is CDing her 2nd baby.

I think that is it for us.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:26 PM

My MOm CD'ed my older brothers, but I was in sposies.
My SIL cd'ed there 2nd baby but 1st and 3rd were sposies,
and my other SIL probably doesn't know what a cloth diaper looks like

SO now I am the only Nut left, but Most of my family is pretty supportive.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:28 PM

My mom used cloth, I was allergic to sposies. after that she used cloth on my younger bros too since she already had them - though with the 3rd she was working and used a diaper service I was 8 then and I can remember helping her fold the prefolds into a newspaper fold and putting them in the diaper stacker.

MIL used cloth on DH too. Both my mom and mil think it is neat that we use cloth, mil b/c she is practical, my mom too (and she's crunchy

that said, both always suggest using sposies on vacation, so they aren't anti sposie, just prefer cloth

DH and I have close friends that are super crunchy but won't cloth diaper! we just can't convert them. I might convert my very mainstream best friend though...she will be staying home and is all for saving $$

DH converted my cousin and his wife to cloth and they are hooked now.

My brother and I were CD although I think my mom switched to sposies with me later on. Dh and his sister were CDed. Both of our moms comment on what a pain it was. My SIL tried with her first but she was using Kushies or something and hated them and stopped. It always bums me out when people try with a bunk system and stop. If they only knew the better, and not necessairly more expensive, options out there. What's worse is when they spread around that they tried it and it was horrible.

Quote:
Sustainer: What really kills me is when the close family members of WAHMs don't CD. Especially when I hear about a hyena wahm offering a whole free stash or something, you know? Does that kill anyone else?
ITA! Can you imagine someone having an entire stash of El Bees or FM at their disposal and reject it?!?!

My mom cded my sister and me (with me she was in high school and broke, and my sister was allergic to sposies). She was totally against me using cloth at first, but when she saw them, she came around. My sister is due to have her first next month and I can't convince her to even try, however I told her I'm bringing my cloth when I fly out to see the baby and she needs to get over it :LOL I'm thinking of getting some teeny newborn dipes to show her how cute they are, so I may be able to convert her. My SIL is due to have her first in Sept, and there's no hope on that front. She lives with my MIL, and MIL is adamantly against cloth (she buys sposies every time we come visit, and refuses to let us wash fluff in her machine).
Old 02-10-2005, 03:35 PM

My Mom used cloth on all of us. She had me and my 2 younger brothers within 4 years of each other so we were all in cloth at the same time for a while. : Sposies weren't available for me and the older of my brothers, and my younger brother got rashes from them.

Now I'm the only one who CDs. The older of my brothers isn't married and has no children. The younger brother and my sil think CD would be just too much work for them, : plus their boys are out of diapers now.

I'm hoping my children will CD when they're parents. I'm having them help pick out Zach's fluff, launder and fold it, etc. And if I ever end up taking care of my grandchildren, I'll put them in cloth!
Old 02-10-2005, 03:45 PM

My Mom cd'd me, but only because it was the 70's and I was allergic to Pampers which were the only sposies out. :LOL

My 3 younger sisters cloth, use it on Alex and plan on using it on their own babies! They have even asked me to save some items from my stash for them! So I scored 3 converts in my own family! Woo Hoo

My Aunt loves that I use cloth and her daughter is pg and due in about 5 weeks. She's been trying to convert her too.

Everyone else in my family thinks I'm nuts and uses sposies.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 02-10-2005, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was cded as a babe, pted at 18mo. My younger siblings were cded for the first few months and then my mom switched to sposies cuz she was working full time. That said, my mom is now 6mo pg and will be cding my new baby bro come May. He will only wear sposies in the hospital and then they'll do cloth full time at home. I plan on cding ALL my children. I started w/ DS at 3mo, the next ones will NEVER wear sposies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
This kills me, too. HEY~ if any WAHMs want to adopt me as their family, I will GLADLY accept any and ALL donations :LOL
ETA~ My teenage sis has already told me she plans on cding when she has babies

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Both my mom and MIL used cloth. I'm the only one of "this" generation to use cloth. Most of the family is pretty mainstream especially my brother. He thinks I'm a martyr for using cloth. My stepmonster... ur uh cough, cough... stepmother thinks we use cloth because we're 'poor'... if she only KNEW!!! : : :

Both my mom & MIL think its great we use cloth. I was talking to DH the other nighht about that poll a few weeks ago about "how much of an advocate is your DH". He told me he talks about them all the time... well as often as talking about their kids as a bunch of military guys do. If he was still working in the corporate world like he was when DD & DS#1 was born, he'd still talk about them a lot more.

User Tag List