Frustrated with used dipe buying - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last two diapers I bought in "VGC" or better have both arrived with holes in them. I am frustrated! I contacted the one and we worked something out but am bummed that I guess I need to do that again. Guess it's a good thing DD is potty learning since our diaper karma must be bad. Sigh. No response needed, just needed to vent.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#2 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 PM

I'll respond - I just received an "excellent cond" hh from ebay took forever to get here because the mama was stationed overseas. Anyway it has holes from wear and tear - I'm sure it's fully functional, but I would've put "fair" and not e/c. This mama was real nice though communicated great because we thought we had gotten the item lost in the mail and even ordered a present to be sent to me to make up for how late the item arrived. So I left positive feedback. I think people's ideas on "conditions" vary.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#3 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 08:14 PM

That sucks! I would think that VCG would mean no holes, just a little pilly or faded. I am hesitant to buy anything that isn't described as EC or "like new" I am just way too picky!
#4 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 08:43 PM

I hate "bad diaper" phases of all kinds. It'll pass...
#5 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:07 PM

Maybe this already exists but I think it would be nice for the diaper trading post if there were some sort of guidelines for each description so that there was less gray area. Sorry you have to deal with this.
#6 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:13 PM

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#7 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 PM

Sorry to hear it
i have two diapers sitting in my closet collecting dust that I now have to get new elastic put into. I bought these on the TPThey never mentioned this problem..funny.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#8 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 PM

I've just had the same thing happen :
#9 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 PM

I'm sorry, mama! I agree with the pp that a guideline would be nice, and that VCG shouldn't have holes. I hope you can work it out!
#10 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:43 PM

Yep, I feel ya. I got burned on my last diaper purchase from the TP ... the diaper was super old, still totally functional, but I paid way too much for the condition it was in.

I'm sure I probably should have said something, but I'm really bad about NOT doing that. So I can't really complain because I didn't give the mama a chance to fix it.

I know the last time I sold some diapers, the mama wasn't happy with the snap ins or one of the fleece covers, told me, and I was more than happy to issue her a refund. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the two covers I sold her, so it's making me gunshy to sell again.

Have you talked with the seller about it?

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#11 of 66 Old 02-14-2005, 09:57 PM

I think I'm glad I haven't been able to bring myself to buy used diapers...

That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)

That's too bad so many people are getting burned lately though.
#12 of 66 Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=amysuen] I agree with the pp that a guideline would be nice, and that VCG shouldn't have holes. QUOTE]

I totally agree on both points!!! There needs to be some type of guidelines for what each phrase means. IMO VGC means no holes
#13 of 66 Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtokay
The last two diapers I bought in "VGC" or better have both arrived with holes in them. I am frustrated! I contacted the one and we worked something out but am bummed that I guess I need to do that again. Guess it's a good thing DD is potty learning since our diaper karma must be bad. Sigh. No response needed, just needed to vent.

(((mama))) VGC has taken on a new meaning with our fluffymail this week too! I know how frustrating this is!
#14 of 66 Old 02-15-2005, 11:16 PM

If a diaper has holes, then that should be disclosed specifically IMO, I also only like EC or like new.
#15 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 12:05 AM

Wouldn't it also be nice if people who were selling an item b/c it had a problem disclosed it?! I have paid way too much money for diapers that smelled fishy, wool that didn't work, and Fuzzi Bunz that were no longer waterproof. Fortunately, I've found those problems to be few and far between. Most of the mamas I've bought from have been amazingly nice and honest, and I've become friends with some of them. I agree that a universal MDC guideline would be nice, though.
#16 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 05:06 AM

I once got a lot of "AIO's" from ebay and yes, they were at some point AIO...but the inner waterproof layer was so old and degraded that not only did they NOT work and need a cover, but the plastic or what ever colloected in the top of the dipe...so they are puffy and all crinkly in that one spot! I have since replaced them with NEW FuzziBunz...now that I have some money I am replacing all my ebay dipes. They did the job, but buh-bye!!

I paid next to nothing for them, so no big loss...but still thing like this should be described. That was the only time I got dipes that were not as described.
#17 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 11:11 AM

I had a bad experience on the Tp recently, and it's my first "bad apple" out of a bunch of transactions. I pm'd a mama to ask if the dipe she was selling was getting thin, as I had another one in the same print that was wearing pretty quickly. She told me that it was in perfect condition, so I bought the dipe. I washed it twice, and it now has a huge hole in the outer print. I guess I should have checked it over more closely when I received it!
#18 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 PM

just food for thought but maybe the person didnt know? i mean some stuff (stains gapping holes..) i would nottice but im still fairly new to diapering stuff and i honestly couldnt tell if my AIO's had lost there waterproof layer or if i had tiny holes for that matter.
I am sorry that you got burned but maybe thats what happened?
#19 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Ya, reading this I'm worrying about selling on the TP. I"ve had only good experiences so far, but I am new to diapering and wonder if I could miss something and sell it to another mama and she wouldn't be satisfied.

I agree that guidelines would be helpful. And I would hope if I sold something to a mama and she wasn't satisfied she would let me know.
#20 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 12:47 PM

My only advice is to not ignore it but tell the mama what you are unhappy with because it may have been an honest mistake and I know *I* would want the chance to make you happy if you were unhappy.
#21 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 01:12 PM

I too wish there was a basic standard for the condition of a diaper. I sell stuff on Amazon and there are basic guidelines there, why couldn't there be here? It would really help both buyers and sellers.

I've bought some stuff in less than perfect shape. I've sold some stuff in less than perfect shape. I always hate these threads (but I read them) because I am afraid that someone got crap from me and is just sucking it up instead of telling me!!
#22 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

oh i know i should either not complain or tell the mamas. i did tell the first one and we worked out something that was fine by me and hopefully fine by her. i have a ton of stuff to sell soon as dd is potty training and i would hope anyone unhappy with something would tell me so i'm guessing the majority of the other mamas would feel the same.

i've bought so much stuff that i've been thrilled with i guess i was just frustrated with our "last" diaper purchases being the ones that weren't so great. we're basically done with diapers as dd is potty training so it's hard to go out on a sour note, yk? sorry to know i'm not alone in the frustration.

at any rate, thanks for letting me vent.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#23 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 01:23 PM

I just spent a couple minutes thinking up some condition guidelines, would these help anyone?

Mint - never washed or worn.

WBNW - washed but not worn (I would let this include tried on).

EC - washed, worn, but with no visible damage.

GC - washed, worn, but fully functional with no stains, holes, rips, bad elastic, wash fading, leaks, or other defects.

Fair - GC but with a defect from the above list.

Well-loved - still works but several defects from the above list. Or old - you would be the diaper's last owner.

FFS - specified defects or just ancient!
#24 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 01:44 PM

I like your ratings
#25 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 PM

Honestly, I think a lot of people just lie about the condition so they can get more money for the dipe. I wouldn't think anyone really thinks a diaper with holes in it is very good condition.

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#26 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie43
Honestly, I think a lot of people just lie about the condition so they can get more money for the dipe. I wouldn't think anyone really thinks a diaper with holes in it is very good condition.

I don't see how anyone can think a diaper with holes is in VGC either but it happened to me so I know there are people out there who do. This is why I think there should be a guideline for posting the condition.

I think this is the main reason why I am reconsidering buying anymore used diapers.
#27 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 03:14 PM

I'm too paranoid to lie... I probably go too far in the other direction picking out every little flaw. I have bought diapers that should have been FFS and now I will really only buy used if it is something I REALLY want or from another hyena I know and trust.

I like the rating system... I wish it were a sticky.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#28 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
[QUOTE=3inclothdiapers]That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)[QUOTE]

Rather than tossing them, you could give them away to a mama who can't afford diapers and doesn't mind getting some that are ratty. If you're honest about the condition, there shouldn't be any hard feelings.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#29 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inclothdiapers
That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)
you can always post them in giving or offer them ffs.

It would be nice to have guidelines because I've been dissapointed or had people dissapointed too. Most people don't mean to missrepresent something, everyone just has their own ideas of what something means. To me my EC might be someones VGC or vice versa. I think the guesswork should be taken out of it by establishing guidelines so no one gets hurt. The TP is such a great resource.
#30 of 66 Old 02-16-2005, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Ruthla][QUOTE=3inclothdiapers]That's also why I'm probably going to throw the ratty diapers in the trash rather than try to sell them (though I would be totally honest, just don't want to disappoint anyone!)
Quote:

Rather than tossing them, you could give them away to a mama who can't afford diapers and doesn't mind getting some that are ratty. If you're honest about the condition, there shouldn't be any hard feelings.

There is also a website. I don't have the address handy that takes donations for diapers. They give the diapers to needy mamas! I have a box packed ready to go there now! The mama that runs it even offered to pay me shipping!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page