Wahm's who smoke - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EWWW I hate smoke....

I used to be a smoker...andnow I HATE the smell of it....YUCK YUCK YUCK...if something came to be smelling like smoke I would probably return it, and demand my money back...

GROSS!
#62 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 AM

So does it bother you sensitive noses/asthmatics if packages *reek* of lavender or citrus/cinnamon pail pals!?!!

I cant take anything too perfumey (in fact I cant WEAR perfume) without getting a headache. And while I love to get freebies in my packages sometimes free soaps, and pail pals are WAY strong when you open a package..

That said, a few custom stockings that went out from here had a major lavender scented Buttermilk Bath sample in them and I *almost* didnt put it in there for fear that someone like me would not like it...

Oh and our rural postal carriers drive personal vehicles with steering wheels on the L too!! And drive with the L hand and foot.. .LOL!! Never thought anything weird of it.. LOL!!

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#63 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom
I only received something that smelled like smoke once. And there were lots of mamas who had complained about having the same experience. It doesn't appear that her business is doing very well right now.
You always have me going through the filing cabinet in my head.

No offense to anyone with mail that comes in personal cars.I had just never heard of that before.Change scares me!!As it is I am already going to have to go a mile to even get my mail.No diapers on my doorstep anymore
#64 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 AM

yup, i'm a firm believer that pets/smoking needs to be disclosed.

some people (like me) are EXTREMELY allergic to pet hair. in fact, if i've traded with someone who has furry pets, i have to have dh open the package and wash the items for me, before i can even touch them.

re: smoke-- it's not just the smell. the chemicals permeate EVERYTHING and i would certainly not want those chemicals near my kids. people don't think about that- but it's one of the reasons second-hand smoke is bad. it can take several washings to get all of the chemicals and toxins out of an item of clothing.

we have a rural mail carrier, so she drives her own car, and fortunately, does not appear to smoke.
#65 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes
So does it bother you sensitive noses/asthmatics if packages *reek* of lavender or citrus/cinnamon pail pals!?!!

I cant take anything too perfumey (in fact I cant WEAR perfume) without getting a headache. And while I love to get freebies in my packages sometimes free soaps, and pail pals are WAY strong when you open a package..
It bothers me (see my post about the fabric softener).

Very strange, though, that only certain perfumes bother me and there seems to be no way to tell beforehand. I wear perfume and it doesn't make me cough/wheeze. My dh's cologne doesn't bother me, but the stuff my son (sometimes) wears can make me cough. Last summer, when my FIL visited he was wearing a type of cologne that bothered me, but when they came again at Xmas he was wearing a different type that didn't affect me. Same with scented candles and essential oils... some are problematic and some aren't.

As for cigarette smoke, if the person is a hard-core smoker and smokes indoors, sometimes the smell just won't come out. I have one friend who smokes, and she gave my son a jacket last year that her son had outgrown. I washed it about six times and it still stunk, even after using white vinegar and baking soda.
#66 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 11:07 AM

I think it should be in big type on their home page if its a smoking home. But thats just my 2 cents!
#67 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 11:09 AM

I have never had my mail delivered in a postal vehicle :LOL
I never thought it was odd.
I have never noticed a smokey smell in a package but I did get an order of soap once that had a HUGE human hairball in it like the WAHM had cleaned her hairbrush out......it totally freaked me out. I even joked to a friend about having to pay shipping on the hair :LOL

I am highly allergic to cats.......I have had MAJOR allergy issues with people with cats. I can tell almost instantly if someone has a cat, even if they come to MY house from their house with a cat.

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#68 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I once received prefolds from a WAHM with one of those cinnamon pail pals in it and not even 2 minutes later I had a massive migraine, complete with numbness and vomiting. I now usually include a note in the commentary section asking for no scented items be included with my order. I can't even walk by the Yankee candle store in the mall. It's rough being so sensitive to smells.
#69 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 AM

I've only received one package from a WAHM (and none from private sales or trades) where the items smelled like smoke. The diaper was only wrapped in tissue paper, and the WAHM replied that she instructed a smoking family member who delivered the packages to the P.O. not to smoke on the way there. I guess he did.

I think that lots of people who have smoking family members don't realize how much smoking stinks even when someone is not actively smoking. I think that the package could have absorbed the odor from his car or from his clothing while he held the packages in line. My DH quit smoking after I became pregnant -- and while he had never smoked in the house or in any enclosed space-- his clothing still smelled. He still smokes occasionally, such as when he goes out with friends, about once a month. The other day, I noticed that the car smelled like cigarette smoke, and he said that he had only finished his cigarette on the way home from the party and with all the windows open. I'd never noticed that before, but the scent just lingers.

Karla
#70 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 02:31 PM

I believe the pickiest non-smoker in the world is a former smoker! :LOL I quit smoking when I got pregnant with my first baby and never started again (20 years ago now ) I can not stand the smell of smoke, with the exception of a nice, sweet but mellow pipe tobacco (reminds me of my grandpa). But even that, I prefer to smell for a few minutes and then no more. I received some fabric from another mama one time, and about vomited, the smell was so bad. I left it in the box, in the garage, and it is still there, 2 years later.

I have stopped sending smelly freebies, because I am always worried about sensitive noses on the receiving end. I enjoy a pretty scent, bu it has to be subtle, not over-powering.

I live in a pretty big city, and some of our postal carriers drive their own vehicles. I am not sure what the criteria are to determine who drives their own and who drives a USPS truck. But, our carriers drive to an area, then deliver door to door on foot.

Oh, and I love the new sling smilies. :
#71 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 02:42 PM

I agree with a lot of the pp it might not be the WAHM, but a postal worker
#72 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yup, I can't stand it!! I wish the WAHMs who send them would give you the option, not everyone likes strong smelling things like that. I got a pail pal that made me gag the other day. The diaper was beautiful, after I recovered and washed it

I would be upset to smell smoke on a package, but they all go straight into the washer anyway so I guess it wouldn't be horrible or anything. But it does sadden me to think a Mama made this dipe with a ciggy hanging out of her mouth...which means if she has any kids she is smoking around them too...
#73 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee
But it does sadden me to think a Mama made this dipe with a ciggy hanging out of her mouth...which means if she has any kids she is smoking around them too...
I see what you're saying but I think this is an unfair assumption. Perhaps her dh (or even her for that matter) smoke in their basement at night after the kids go to bed, or maybe she has an occasional smoke in the house while kids are at school or out with daddy, or maybe in her car on the way to the post office (alone) or mayber her dh in the car on the way to the post office with the packages, or as several other posters have said, it could be the mail carrier. our mail carrier drives his own vehicle.

I just wouldn't assume, even if a wahm IS a smoker, that she is sewing with a ciggy hanging out of her mouth and kids underfoot.

namaste.gif

#74 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:20 PM

producing you item in a house where smoking occurs is no different than the WAHM smoking IMO. You are making an item FOR BABIES AND CHILDREN around smoke...not good.

As people mentioned you do not buy an outfit at a local dept store that smells, why should diapers be any different?

Smoke smells are smoke smells are smoke smells. I could care less how they got there (provided it was from the WAHM), all I know is it smells.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#75 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I think it should be disclosed, but really, they shouldn't be smoking period, worse yet around their kids.
#76 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:

only if it's patchouli. BLECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i detest that scent. i bought an item that was washed in patchouli wool wash and it took 4 washings to get the scent totally out.
#77 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:02 PM

My postal carrier smokes cigars while he delivers all day long and I've never had it permiate a package. Not diapers or anything else. BUT, I recently got a package from a friend who smokes and it smelled so strongly that I could not get the smell out. This was a huge bummer because it had an un-washable item in it that is ruined, expensive and stinky permanently. If the items you recieve smell that strongly of smoke you can almost bet that the WAHM *is* smoking in her home and yes, around her children. If she knows her dh smokes, she should take her mail herself.
#78 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM

OK, well I guess y'all got me. I'm with thismama.

namaste.gif

#79 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
I see what you're saying but I think this is an unfair assumption. Perhaps her dh (or even her for that matter) smoke in their basement at night after the kids go to bed, or maybe she has an occasional smoke in the house while kids are at school or out with daddy, or maybe in her car on the way to the post office (alone) or mayber her dh in the car on the way to the post office with the packages, or as several other posters have said, it could be the mail carrier. our mail carrier drives his own vehicle.

I just wouldn't assume, even if a wahm IS a smoker, that she is sewing with a ciggy hanging out of her mouth and kids underfoot.
I see what you are saying as well, but I very seriously doubt a diaper could reek of smoke from a short trip in a mail carriers truck, considering its enclosed in packaging. Carry the scent, maybe, but reek, no. Plus even if one parent smokes in a closed off room, the smoke thats absorbed into clothes, walls, curtains, etc would be considered second hand smoke and is still harmful to the kids. I know when my Mom comes over she smokes outside, and she still reeks of it when she comes in. Its just about impossible to get away from it if someone close to you smokes. So whether they smoke around their kids or in private, its still sad IMO. Thats just the picture that was painted in my mind when I recieved a smokey dipe.

Of course it is all speculation, but I just don't believe that the mailperson would be at fault. I would imagine someone smoking in their sewing room around all the fabric day after day would be much more at fault for the diapers smelling of it.
#80 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:32 PM

Yuck! I dont think that people should smoke around their products at all..
ESPECIALLY if its a WAHM who shouldn't be smoking in the house at all because she has CHILDREN!
I mean, i don't want to try to tell people what to do, you can smoke if you want to, just smoke outside away from your products and wash your hands before work!
#81 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Well no one here smokes, at all, ever, my FIL smokes and we have had many a family throw downs about him smoking in a house where my kids are (or are soon going to be) because cig smoke can literally KILL my child. He has RAD and it is dangerous for him to be around smoke at all.

However the postal worker that delivers our mail is a walking chimney, he always has a cig hanging out of his mouth, it is so bad that when he rings the doorbell when I have a package I pretend not to be home because if I open the door my whole house smells like smoke. I hate it. Anyway I have had packages come from people I KNOW don't smoke and they smell slightly like smoke, however a thick gaggy smell is more likely to be coming from a home that has smoke, or a wood type burner.
#82 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 04:58 PM

For me, I think part of the turn off of receiving a package like that from a WAHM is that I feel that a WAHM purchase is more personal than a retail purchase.
#83 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 05:15 PM

IMO, I don't think she should have to disclose that she, or anyone in her house, is a smoker.
#84 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
only if it's patchouli. BLECHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
i detest that scent. i bought an item that was washed in patchouli wool wash and it took 4 washings to get the scent totally out.

You would so hate my house then! I have been wearing patchouli since I was 13 maybe? I don't even need to put it on and I think I smell like it... I can't even smell it anymore but people say DH, the kids and our house smell like it (and inscense). Does this mean you won't put in a bid for DH?

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#85 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by didelphus
I certainly wouldn't pick out a pair of jeans off the rack to buy if they smelled like cigarette smoke. By the same token I'd not be happy if my new dipes smelled like smoke. Seems a little...uh, unprofessional. I think smokers really can't smell the lingering smoke so it isn't a big deal to them. They probably think no one would even notice. But no, I can sniff out stale cigarette smoke on anything and it makes me ill!

That's what I keep thinking about. I wouldn't go to Target to buy clothes if they smelled like smoke.

This has only happened to me once. I did get the smell out with using tea tree oil.

I just want my fluff to smell yummy, like it was made with love I can't help but think of smoking as dirty. I use to smoke before I had children, I remember what my hands smelled and looked like. Guess I can't get that out of my head.

I agree some packages could stink if your postal worker smokes. Mine doesn't and I have never had a package smell like this and believe me I have had lots of fluff come through this house :LOL It could be that the wahm herself doesn't smoke that it is someone in the house.

I think it's good that people talk about this. Smoking is so bad for you and I encourge anyone who is still smoking to quit. You don't want to dye of lung caner. It is slow and painful.

Ok I will jump off my soapbox
#86 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 05:37 PM

I think it should be disclosed as well...especially if they're selling preemie and newborn diapers since breathing and smoke exposure is a big deal, especially for new and tiny babies...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#87 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 06:04 PM

it's a tough call. I definitely see both sides. Like Donna, I agree that smoke smells are the worst for former smokers (especially those of us who live in smoke free states/areas). I don't want smoky smelling things coming around to my house. You can be sure the first thing that happens to any stinky item in my house is that it hits the washer.

But it's a diaper; it's going to be washed. If it were some super hyena diaper, would it matter? I suppose a person has a right to kill themselves off slowly with expensive and addictive cancer sticks. If it were me, I'd do a strip wash and put some baking soda filled socks in with the diaper stash.

OTOH, what if it's a wool cover? Much more difficult to get that smell out, and putting wear on the fabric in the process.

I guess I think it should be disclosed in the small print somewhere. It could save on shipping and refund hassles for the WAHM if she takes things back. But then again, if you love it and wash it, it probably shouldn't matter.
#88 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 06:11 PM

Its the nastiest stink ever, and I used to smoke and never realized how gross it is. I would send the diaper back. Just because its a WAHM doesnt mean she shouldnt be responsible for her product. It is something she made and sells and I pay money for.

edited to add- I once bought a baby cozy nest sleeper thing at Target and when I took it out of the box it *REEKED* of smoke. Clearly someone had returned it. Sure I could have washed it, but I spend my hard earned money on it- I should get something clean and new.
#89 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 PM

This thread kind of makes me sad People who don't like smoke so much need to take it upon themselves to find out if a WAHM has smoke in her home. Is she supposed to put a HUGE SCARLET S all over her site just so you don't have to ask? Lots of people have sensitivities and issues with various things, not just cigarette smoke. If you feel that strongly about it, ASK!
I personally like to see it when it says "Pet free/Smoke free home". I don't have a pet free home but I sort of do. I'm not sure how to list that. My dog only stays in the back room and in the yard. He doesnt' come in the rest of the house so doesn't come in contact with anything I might have sent to anyone. Is that pet free enough? I don't know much about people with pet allergies.
Also, Dimitrius smokes when he's on break at work. He smokes outside and wears a wool jacket and I rarely smell smoke on him. He doesnt' smoke in the car because he doesnt' want smoke residue around our children. Is that smoke free enough? He only smokes organic American Spirits too and only about 2 a day. Is that OK for the smoke police?
Oh yeah. I also don't like perfumy packages. I will wash those even faster than I would wash a non-perfumy package. But I wash everything anyway. Used AND new.

To the OP. I might have been taken aback by the smell too. But I guess it's bad to just assume. I know there are some wool soakers on ebay that are very well made and cheap and they always reek of smoke. It's a joke on this one forum where people call them stinkerbelles because they stink. But the quality, workmanship and price can't be beat. So they buy them anyway and wash them. Only you can make the consumer choice to support or not support smokers. But i don't see what's so bad about them.
#90 of 126 Old 02-23-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
This thread kind of makes me sad People who don't like smoke so much need to take it upon themselves to find out if a WAHM has smoke in her home. Is she supposed to put a HUGE SCARLET S all over her site just so you don't have to ask? Lots of people have sensitivities and issues with various things, not just cigarette smoke. If you feel that strongly about it, ASK!
I personally like to see it when it says "Pet free/Smoke free home". I don't have a pet free home but I sort of do. I'm not sure how to list that. My dog only stays in the back room and in the yard. He doesnt' come in the rest of the house so doesn't come in contact with anything I might have sent to anyone. Is that pet free enough? I don't know much about people with pet allergies.
I agree 100%

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page