Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava
People who don't like smoke so much need to take it upon themselves to find out if a WAHM has smoke in her home. Is she supposed to put a HUGE SCARLET S all over her site just so you don't have to ask?
I don't think I should have to ask. I think I should be able to assume, by default, that my diapers are not going to smell like cigarette smoke.

Here's an alternative to the huge red disclosure: STOP SMOKING. Or insist that the member of your household stop smoking. If such attempts are unsuccessful, it is my opinion that one should not attempt to run a home based business that involves producing items (especially items that are made with FABRIC, which absorbs odors) and selling them to people through the mail. In my opinion, making sure that none of the members of your household are smokers is just as necessary to starting such a business as making sure you have a sewing machine in working order.

Flame away!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
YUCK!!!

Did you complain to *her*? Or did you complain to USPS?
We complained to the local postmaster...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Honestly, it has never occured to me to ask if the diaper would be in any contact with smoke.

I think it just came as a shock to the OP being that the cding population is cding because of health risks and environmental hazards that sposies pose.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieMum
We complained to the local postmaster...
I wonder who the next rung up from the local postmaster would be? Some sort of regional manager? I'd keep going up the ladder until you get satisfaction. I wouldn't put up with mail smelling like smoke.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 02-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
This thread kind of makes me sad People who don't like smoke so much need to take it upon themselves to find out if a WAHM has smoke in her home. Is she supposed to put a HUGE SCARLET S all over her site just so you don't have to ask? Lots of people have sensitivities and issues with various things, not just cigarette smoke. If you feel that strongly about it, ASK!
I personally like to see it when it says "Pet free/Smoke free home". I don't have a pet free home but I sort of do. I'm not sure how to list that. My dog only stays in the back room and in the yard. He doesnt' come in the rest of the house so doesn't come in contact with anything I might have sent to anyone. Is that pet free enough? I don't know much about people with pet allergies.
Also, Dimitrius smokes when he's on break at work. He smokes outside and wears a wool jacket and I rarely smell smoke on him. He doesnt' smoke in the car because he doesnt' want smoke residue around our children. Is that smoke free enough? He only smokes organic American Spirits too and only about 2 a day. Is that OK for the smoke police?
Oh yeah. I also don't like perfumy packages. I will wash those even faster than I would wash a non-perfumy package. But I wash everything anyway. Used AND new.

To the OP. I might have been taken aback by the smell too. But I guess it's bad to just assume. I know there are some wool soakers on ebay that are very well made and cheap and they always reek of smoke. It's a joke on this one forum where people call them stinkerbelles because they stink. But the quality, workmanship and price can't be beat. So they buy them anyway and wash them. Only you can make the consumer choice to support or not support smokers. But i don't see what's so bad about them.

I personally like to buy things that don't smell like smoke, but it's not the end of the world if it does. I'm a huge fan of Tinker's soakers, and as you stated, those things always come reeking of smoke. It washes out.

Of course, we don't have allergies over here and I've been known to indulge in a Marlboro Light outdoors on occasion so maybe I'm not the norm.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 02-23-2005, 08:29 PM

In all my experience of diaper buying I have never had this problem, even with second hand ones. Maybe just lucky. I think if it happened I'd throw them in the wash and hope for the best. I wouldn't bother the maker of the dipes with it, but I don't think I'd necessarily buy from her again either.

On the other hand could you return a new diaper (unwashed, unworn) that didn't come smelling of smoke but acquired that smell in your house, and expect a refund? What would other diaper making mamas do about that sort of thing? Could you take a return on something like that and resell it, ya know? To my mind that diaper is soiled.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 PM

Generally I think we hold wahms up to higher standards than workers in other industries, but not on this. We wouldn't expect anything less from any other product we buy.

For those with chemical sensitivites, asthma and allergies it is a big deal. And not disclosing can mean loosing clients just as much as disclosing. I know I don't want to have to email every wahm I want to buy from and ask if they have pets and if they smoke. I already feel like I bug them enough with questions on fabrics, turn around time, and stuff like that.

I have seen alot of wahms disclose what kind of detergent they wash the fabrics in, surely having pets and smoking would be no less important to disclose? I disclose on my auctions and fsot listings that I have a smoke free pet loving home. I would rather have someone not buy from me than have someone assume I didn't have pets and get something with pet hair and have a terrible reaction to it kwim?

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:30 PM

I agree with you too kavamamakava.

I think ppl are blowing this waaaay out of proportion. Of course I expect products I buy to not reek of smoke. Certainly if someone is blowing smoke on products they should disclose that. But someone smoking in the basement of the house the wahm's products are in... not that big a deal to me.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
I have never noticed a smokey smell in a package but I did get an order of soap once that had a HUGE human hairball in it like the WAHM had cleaned her hairbrush out......it totally freaked me out. I even joked to a friend about having to pay shipping on the hair :LOL
OMG Shelly! :

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
I agree with you too kavamamakava.

I think ppl are blowing this waaaay out of proportion. Of course I expect products I buy to not reek of smoke. Certainly if someone is blowing smoke on products they should disclose that. But someone smoking in the basement of the house the wahm's products are in... not that big a deal to me.
I agree. oceanone, good post too. alice, I understand that you are adamantly opposed to smoking, but to say that women who smoke or who have dps that smoke shouldn't be allowed to have a home-based business, well, wow, that just doesn't seem right.

namaste.gif

Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 PM

It really urks me when I get something that reeks like smoke, only to have them say..."We don't smoke in our home..I can't understand why it would smell like that!!" YEAH RIGHT!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni
alice, I understand that you are adamantly opposed to smoking, but to say that women who smoke or who have dps that smoke shouldn't be allowed to have a home-based business, well, wow, that just doesn't seem right.
Please read my post again. I never said that they shouldn't be "allowed" to. I said that, in my opinion, they shouldn't.

I just really don't see how it's possible, if there's a smoker in the household, to keep it from affecting a home-based business. Especially when fabric is involved. No matter where the person goes to smoke, it's going to get into their clothes and hair, and then whatever room they enter will be affected. I mean, they'd have to strip naked before leaving the basement, and then take a shower before going into the sewing room, you know?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think I should have to ask. I think I should be able to assume, by default, that my diapers are not going to smell like cigarette smoke.

Here's an alternative to the huge red disclosure: STOP SMOKING. Or insist that the member of your household stop smoking. If such attempts are unsuccessful, it is my opinion that one should not attempt to run a home based business that involves producing items (especially items that are made with FABRIC, which absorbs odors) and selling them to people through the mail. In my opinion, making sure that none of the members of your household are smokers is just as necessary to starting such a business as making sure you have a sewing machine in working order.

Flame away!
I am not a smoker. There is no one smoking IN the home or car here. I don't care to eat in a place where people are smoking or even be near smokers (when my children are present). But I just feel that it's perfectly legal and acceptable in this country for people to smoke in their own homes. If your opinion is that they shouldn't, then inquire whether the business you are about to patronize is smoke free. If it isn't, don't buy! It's just a simple email.

A little off topic...
Does anyone else notice that stale smoke from a sage smudge smells almost like cigarettes too? What if she's a hippie who does a sage smudge before each new venture and that's what you're smelling?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 PM

you know, I thought about what kavamamakava said, and she's right. If I'm picky about a particular thing, say smoking, it really is up to me to follow through on that, or do research before money is exchanged. Personally, I try to be a wise consumer for other reasons and products, why not this, too?

For example, I've seen people here balk at buying from wahm's who use sposies on occasion, and while that seems ludicrus to me, it's obviously a hot topic for them and it doesn't invalidate their convictions. I certainly don't expect wahms to advertise on their site that they sposie-diaper part time, though. A wahm I once spoke to received an email inquiring about her religious beliefs. The inquiring customer felt that they didn't want to patronize people who may have certain religous leanings. She was concerned based on an embroidered design on the website, so she was following up on her convictions. Something I would worry about? heck no! Important to that woman? you betcha!

Another poster said something about people cd'ing for health. While that's true, it's also a bit shortsighted. Some people cd because of financial concerns; health and chemicals don't necessarily play a part in it. There is also ecological impact issues that motivate people to cloth diaper. Some people feel strongly about conservation of natural resources, and while the health benefits are an added benefit, it's not their primary reason. Keep in mind that this board, while very popular, is a self-selecting group
Old 02-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I just really don't see how it's possible, if there's a smoker in the household, to keep it from affecting a home-based business. Especially when fabric is involved. No matter where the person goes to smoke, it's going to get into their clothes and hair, and then whatever room they enter will be affected. I mean, they'd have to strip naked before leaving the basement, and then take a shower before going into the sewing room, you know?
This is what I mean when I say I think this is being blown out of proportion. I just don't think a smoker entering a room where fabric is will deposit a huge smoke odour into the fabric.

No offense Sustainer. I get that you are trying to live healthily and stay away from cigarette smoke. But at the same time I htink you are underestimating how hard it is to quit. My baby's father has been trying hard to quit for about 2 years now, and is still struggling with it. My ex gf wants badly to quit but hasn't been able to. It isn't as simple as saying "well just quit."
Old 02-23-2005, 10:56 PM

Quote:
But I just feel that it's perfectly legal and acceptable in this country for people to smoke in their own homes. If your opinion is that they shouldn't, then inquire whether the business you are about to patronize is smoke free. If it isn't, don't buy!
I certainly never said anything about legality. As far as it being "perfectly acceptable" to smoke in one's own home, I have to say that that's questionable if there are children living in the home. I would also like to point out the distinction between a home that functions only as a residence and a home that functions both as a residence and as a place of business where consumer merchandise is produced. As far as emailing people to ask if their products are made in a smoke-free home, as I said before, I don't believe I should have to. I should be able to assume, by default, that a product has not been exposed to cigarette smoke. I think that is BASIC to product standards.

dscokween, I think there's a HUGE difference between a concern about WAHM sposie usage or philosophy, and a concern about whether or not one's product is going to arrive reeking of smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
I htink you are underestimating how hard it is to quit. My baby's father has been trying hard to quit for about 2 years now, and is still struggling with it. My ex gf wants badly to quit but hasn't been able to. It isn't as simple as saying "well just quit."
I am in no way underestimating how hard it is to quit smoking. I am fully aware of how addictive nicotine is, and that quitting is no easy task. You'll notice I did not use the phrase "well, just quit!"

Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 PM

back to the fluffy chat for me!

namaste.gif

Old 02-23-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaroni

back to the fluffy chat for me!
Can I come?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:27 AM

This thread is stressing me out. I think I 'll step outside for a smoke.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:18 AM

Quote:
As far as it being "perfectly acceptable" to smoke in one's own home, I have to say that that's questionable if there are children living in the home. I would also like to point out the distinction between a home that functions only as a residence and a home that functions both as a residence and as a place of business where consumer merchandise is produced.
I agree. You can't just pollute on the merchindise that is going to be on and around other people's kids just because it's your right to smoke. A home/bussiness is different than just a home. There is a differnt set of rules. The stuff you are making is not for you, it's someone eles' stuff... so that is just pretty disrepectful imo. And I do agree that even if she is smoking in a differnt room, or outside, the smoke is all over her clothes and the product is most likely going to smell.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:39 AM

as for the smoke smell taking forever to wash out, or never washing out... I am not so sure about that. When I was 18 I was a dancer for about a year (I'm now 21) and those clubs are filled with smoke, it's like a freakin fog! I still have my favorite dance outfit and I just went and smelled it. It's only been washed once since it was in that club (but it was like 2 1/2 yrs ago so the smell could have drifted out, I dunno) but I smells perfectly smoke free.

BUT, I have a shirt that my mom gave me and she always wore a bunch of her favorite perfume, I've washed it a so many times and the darn shirt still smells like my moms perfume!! (I never wear perfume btw)
So I certinly understand that there are smells that never seem to go away.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:59 AM

Sure, it is a person's right to smoke.

As long as they are not harming me....

And I have the right to not buy from that WAHM.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:08 AM

I think if wahms posted they having a smoking household they would go out of business.I know I would not shop there.Not for fear of my items smelling like smoke but more because I am creeped out by mothers who smoke.I was raised by one and it sucks being the child in that situation.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Mail delivered in personal vehicles?!! OMG I do not want to move to a rural area.If I see a diaper package of mine in someone's personal car I will freak out.That is too strange
Rural mail carriers are required to provide their own vehicle for delivery. I used to be a sub. carrier and smoking was not banned.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 AM

I think it boils down to, you have the right to smoke, and the responsibility to disclose this if asked by a potential customer.

Then they in turn have the right to decline your product based on such!! Just as there are certain restaurants that I will not go to (even though I love their food) because no matter where you sit you come out smelling like an ashtray!

And this totally reminds me of that commercial where that mom straps her child in her carseat, rolls up the window and proceeds to light a cigarette...

eta: that I dont ask and I have never had this situation. Given the situation I would probably just wash it and move on...

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
Old 02-24-2005, 05:12 AM

I don't care if WAHM's smoke. I do care if the product I receive smells bad, regardless of what the smell is. If the item is going to smell bad because of the smoking in the house, to me it is no different than any other defect and should be disclosed. I don't think she should have to disclose her smoking, but she had better disclose that the products smell bad if they do! Ick!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya rain
This thread is stressing me out. I think I 'll step outside for a smoke.

you are too funny! I love a good debate myself..... :

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
Old 02-24-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquita
Rural mail carriers are required to provide their own vehicle for delivery. I used to be a sub. carrier and smoking was not banned.
Yep, we are in a rural area too, and he uses his personal car. Our mail carrier smokes like a chimney! None of my diapers have smelled like smoke.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 PM

I don't think a business should *have* to disclose that information but in no way should any product ever arrive to a customer smelling like smoke (or anything else for that matter - including perfumey stuff). If it does, I think the customer has a right to return the items if they so choose.

My mail carrier smokes too and nothing I have received, except for some stuff I bought on ebay once, has smelled like smoke. I still don't give him my outgoing packages but that's because of other problems I've had with him.

User Tag List