Wahm's who smoke - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts on this? Should it be disclosed somewhere on their site? I recently got some diapers in the mail that reeked of smoke. My dd said "stinky" when we opened it.
#2 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM

I think it should be disclosed. Just like having pets. Some people have serious allergies to things like that and it's only fair to the consumer that all pertinent information about the product (including a potentially-offensive smell) be disclosed up front. Buyers can decide from there whether they want the product still.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#3 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM

that's disgusting. i detest cigarette smoke.
#4 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:40 PM

.I say, if you are paying for something you should at least get a heads up!That is just gross IMO.I hate cigarette smoke.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#5 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 PM

I think it should be disclosed probably, but at least you can wash it out. also, maybe the wahm's dh smokes and there isn't much she can do about that (although I don't think sending out a smoke-smelling dipe is a good business practice). probalby the wahm would be horrifed to know that a dipe she sent out smelled like that.

namaste.gif

#6 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM

yucko. i wouldn't want to get smoky smelling dipes. it should be disclosed on the site.
#7 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 05:57 PM

I recently got a podaegi and some dipes in the mail that smelled horribly of cigarette smoked. I was so ticked. Then the next week, I was driving my dd back from dance class and we passed our mail carriers truck and he was sitting there smoking. In the truck. I got home and called the post office and complained. Not sure that it did any good, because yesterday I saw him smoking in the truck.

So, my point is, it may not be the WAHM.
#8 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM

I think it should be disclosed as well.. or if it isnt clearly stated you could always email and ask, esp if you have an allergy.

Also, I *used* to smoke and never realized how bad my clothes and car reeked until I quit *3 years ago.YAY* and she may not realize how bad it is, yk? It is hard to smell it on yourself if you are used to it!

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#9 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea2447

oh, that's a really good point.

namaste.gif

#10 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:20 PM

I like it when a seller says they have a smoke-free pet-free home. It makes me MUCH more likely to buy from them.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#11 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
I like it when a seller says they have a smoke-free pet-free home. It makes me MUCH more likely to buy from them.
#12 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:33 PM

On a tangent, I bought a coat on Ebay last fall, and the box reeked of perfume. I could smell it before even opening the box! When I opened it, I found a very pungent fabric softener sheet in there with the coat. I guess it was supposed to act as a sachet.

I emailed the seller and explained (very nicely) that she might not want to continue that practice. I had to wash the coat 3-4 times before I could even wear it (asthma). She was very apologetic and said that she should have considered that since her brother is asthmatic. Some people just don't think.
#13 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:51 PM

I remember getting dipes stinkin of smoke a couple years ago, it was pretty gross. I think someone running a business shouldnt be smoking around her product.
#14 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I recently got a podaegi and some dipes in the mail that smelled horribly of cigarette smoked. I was so ticked. Then the next week, I was driving my dd back from dance class and we passed our mail carriers truck and he was sitting there smoking. In the truck. I got home and called the post office and complained. Not sure that it did any good, because yesterday I saw him smoking in the truck.

ITA, the postmasters smoke in my PO and I try to use the larger post office for mailing items but am not always able to get there. It would not be totally inappropriate to send the WAHM a polite e-mail explaining that the items smelled like cigarette smoke and maybe she can explain. Also, I know of a couple of WAHMs that this has come up with in the past so maybe check feedback here and on Diaperpin in advance and see if there is any mention.
#15 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 PM

i had this happen with a clothing order from a wahm several years ago--someone i was thinking of having do some sewing for me. it put me off so badly that i never even considered her as a possibility after that. i know some smell could rub off from the carrier, but i'm talking totally saturated and nasty. i think if you smoke, you need to be careful to do it in an area that doesn't affect any product you sell. it's especially important to me, as i have an asthmatic child.
#16 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 07:02 PM

I received a diaper once that smelled like smoke. It reaked, and I started having problems with my breathing. I wasn't sure what to do at first. I didn't want to be rude and confront the WAHM, but I didn't want to buy from them again if they smoked. I finally emailed her, and at first she was confused b/c they don't smoke. Then she remembered that her wood stove or fireplace was backed up or something and had filled their house with smoke. I can't remember all the details, but it ended up being that stove, and she thanked me for letting me know it got to the diapers, and she washed all the diapers she had instock.
#17 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 07:05 PM

I agree with the idea that they should disclose the info. I quit smoking awhile back and now the smell (which I never noticed before) makes me physically ill.
#18 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 PM

I really think it should be disclosed.

And the mention of that it can be washed out - not necessarily. I've had to toss items that I couldn't get the smell out of.

As for the delivery person smoking - maybe this is why some of the WAHMs send in ziplock too.
#19 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Then the next week, I was driving my dd back from dance class and we passed our mail carriers truck and he was sitting there smoking. In the truck. I got home and called the post office and complained. Not sure that it did any good, because yesterday I saw him smoking in the truck.
I know UPS drivers are allowed to smoke in their truckds. It wouldnt surprise me if it is allowed for the usps to also.
#20 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 PM

I am shocked postal workers are allowed to smoke in an enclosed space with our mail.You would think in this day and age that would be outlawed.
#21 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 PM

I, too, am shocked and dismayed. But overjoyed to have a new thing to complain about.
#22 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston
But overjoyed to have a new thing to complain about.
: OMG I am cracking up so hard at that.
#23 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Well personally I don't care. I mean, I would prefer a wahm to not be smoking *around* the product, but I don't care if she smokes or not.

I might get flamed for this, but I think we've gotten a little hysterical about cigarette smoke. I mean, sure, a habit is a terrible thing for one's health. But something that smells like smoke a little to me isn't a big deal. Maybe because a lot of my friends smoke. :
#24 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I know UPS drivers are allowed to smoke in their truckds.
That's disgusting. I didn't know that

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#25 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 PM

I have to say I'm saddened by the image of someone sitting at her sewing machine with a cigarette in her mouth (I'm not saying that anyone actually does that, but that's the image that this thread has put in my mind). I like to think of the WAHMs as healthy mamas. (I'm sure most of them are.)

As far as postal workers, isn't there some sort of divider between the driver's seat and the cargo area where the packages are? Even without that, though, it's hard to imagine enough of their cigarette smoke permeating the sides of the package so that the diaper ends up *saturated* with cigarette smoke and *reeking* of the smell.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#26 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes
Also, I *used* to smoke and never realized how bad my clothes and car reeked until I quit *3 years ago.YAY*

Just wanted to say way to go, mama.

It should probably be disclosed, but yes I think it's possible it could be from the mail carrier too. It doesn't take much. I wish my dh would quit - I'm always worried that we will smell like smoke. He doesn't smoke it our house, but I'm paranoid. I *hate* the smell of stale cigarette smoke.
#27 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
But something that smells like smoke a little to me isn't a big deal.
Oh, it's a HUGE deal to me. I cannot STAND that smell. It makes me ill!

#28 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
Well personally I don't care. I mean, I would prefer a wahm to not be smoking *around* the product, but I don't care if she smokes or not.

I might get flamed for this, but I think we've gotten a little hysterical about cigarette smoke. I mean, sure, a habit is a terrible thing for one's health. But something that smells like smoke a little to me isn't a big deal. Maybe because a lot of my friends smoke. :
When I am spending 100 dollars on a product that I will be placing on my child's bum I don't want it to come selling like smoke. I am watching my grandma die of lung cancer. I think people are becoming hysterical for a reason!

It wasn't the mailman. I had other fluffmail that day too. They sent wash cloths as a freebie and they stunk. The tissue paper and invoice smelled too.
#29 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth
When I am spending 100 dollars on a product that I will be placing on my child's bum I don't want it to come selling like smoke.
:LOL
#30 of 126 Old 02-22-2005, 08:51 PM

I agree it should be disclosed - Both my parents smoked for most of my life and the smell of cigarettes just makes me gag. I hate getting something that reeks of smoke - it seems inconsiderate to me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page