Cloth Diaper Ebay Auctions... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you guys think that CD sellers on Ebay should make the ID of the bidder private. Esp when it comes to hyena items?

Do you think people would be more likely to buy because there would be less guilt because everyone might not know it was them... :LOL

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 09:33 PM

For me, personally, no. It does not bother me for people to see what I am bidding on, as it is my money and I can spend it how I choose. Also, I truly believe that the auction system is quite fair -- it gives everyone an even chance. If you're willing to spend more on a certain item, then you win. If I'm willing to spend more, then I win. This is a no guilt situation, as far as I am concerned. I completely believe that all is fair in love and ebay! :LOL
#3 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 10:10 PM

I don't think so. I am interested in an auction that has the bidder list hidden. It makes me feel as though the seller is shill bidding.

#4 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Didnt even think about that? Can a seller do that? Will the system let them?

#5 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 10:31 PM

They could if they were using a different ebay id. Or if they were having their friends bid using different ids. I've seen that happen before.
#6 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Wow!!

#7 of 94 Old 02-27-2005, 10:45 PM

For the most part I'd have to say no because it's my money and my business how I spend it. That said, I would kind of like it to because then I wouldn't have to see if the winner was the same mama who always comes in and snipes my bids at the last second. :
#8 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmama
They could if they were using a different ebay id. Or if they were having their friends bid using different ids. I've seen that happen before.
How can you tell?

I've heard about "shilling" but I'm ebay clueless!
#9 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 AM

Wow! I didn't even know you could hide or show the bidder list! Gotta look for those settings next time.

Azadeh
#10 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama
How can you tell?

I've heard about "shilling" but I'm ebay clueless!
When a seller makes the bidder list private, there is no way to tell. Even when it's not private, it would be difficult to tell. I've seen it happening, but only because I had been told by the seller (a friend, in this case) that she was asking friends to bid in order to drive the final price on her items up.
#11 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3babes
Wow!!

#12 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

I have helped my brother ONE TIME does something similar.. but it was to drive it over the reserve. Otherwise the person bidding may really want an item but if it doesnt reach reserve they dont get and the seller doesnt sell it!

And if I bid higher by driving it up I am still under the reserve and I dont have to buy it either.. Make sense?? *sorry if you are offended by this* BUt as far as bidding a NON reserve up.. I have never done that or even thought about it... ugh!!

#13 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 03:15 AM

I do not think there is any way for anyone to connect me to my bids. My name is not the same as it is here. And I do not care what people think, my money, my life

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#14 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 AM

Well, sometimes I wish no one could see me bid. I get PMs from people I don't even know asking me to back down from bidding on Ebay sometimes Makes me wish I had used different usernames but this is who I am online. I use the same username everywhere and have since I was 19. It's second nature now.

Anyway, I never have hard feelings about people who outbid me but I am sure people have hard feelings about me.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#15 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
Well, sometimes I wish no one could see me bid. I get PMs from people I don't even know asking me to back down from bidding on Ebay sometimes Makes me wish I had used different usernames but this is who I am online. I use the same username everywhere and have since I was 19. It's second nature now.

Anyway, I never have hard feelings about people who outbid me but I am sure people have hard feelings about me.
You have got to be kidding me! People actually do that? :
#16 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 04:24 AM

I know I have done some crazy things for fluff-right Kate? But now that I have reached sanity, I think that it should be fair. People should be able to bid on what they want and really not have to worry about being guilted into backing down. Just because certain people do have a lot of good fluff, doesn't mean they are less deserving of having more.

So with that being said, I could definitely see how some would want their names hidden. I remember winning an Ebay FM auction and had some ppl PM me telling me that people are going to "talk" about me and think badly because I spent so much on something. So then I felt like I shouldn't have done it and had to justify my spending and let everyone know that I sold off a lot of fluff just to fund it.
#17 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I hope I didn't come across sounding snippy or selfish above when I mentioned something like that. I just get frustrated when I get sniped by the same person *every time. I need to learn how to not take this whole diaper thing too seriously :LOL
#18 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Well, sometimes I wish no one could see me bid. I get PMs from people I don't even know asking me to back down from bidding on Ebay sometimes Makes me wish I had used different usernames but this is who I am online.
I don't bid much anymore but I hated that people knew it was me bidding.I even have a different user name on ebay but hyenas are smart.I would have liked to keep my diaper buying a bit more private because I used to get nasty pm's and emails telling me I was greedy.So personally I would have liked private diaper auctions back in my bidding days.Although I wonder if it would be more inviting to the pervs to bid.
#19 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 05:23 AM

I can't believe people actually pm other people and harass them about what they are bidding on! It's none of their business. If a person wants to spend $100 on a diaper then so be it. Whatever makes you happy. I quite enjoy checking out other people's very expensive diaper stashes.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#20 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 AM

OK, I should mention that I totally don't mind PMs or emails from people I like :LOL I mean, if there is something you really really love and I am bidding on it, it doesn't hurt to ask if I am bidding on it just because. I have backed down on auctions. Sometimes something means more to someone else, ya know? I do love teasing PMs when me and another mom go head to head for something, especially for charity auctions.

WhitneyVL, no worries. I am not much of a sniper. I just put in my max bid and usually let it go. If someone snipes me they wanted it more

And people will PM or email nasty things all the time. It's amazing what goes on behind the scenes around here. Shelly got nasty PMs when sharing her wash routine because people said she was wasting water

So I have thought about changing my username on Ebay but figured who the heck cares. I am a bad, bad, greedy hyena who has fallen into the overconsumption and consumerism trap of the evil non-AP/NFL and I should be destroyed :LOL

#21 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I am a bad, bad, greedy hyena who has fallen into the overconsumption and consumerism trap of the evil non-AP/NFL and I should be destroyed :LOL
I think we've all suffered from that one time or another when it comes to diapers! Some just have it worse than others! :LOL If I had the funds, I would give you a run for your money. One day, one day.

#22 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillpell1
I think we've all suffered from that one time or another when it comes to diapers! Some just have it worse than others! :LOL If I had the funds, I would give you a run for your money. One day, one day.
I was actually saying it tongue in cheek. I have no guilt whatsoever on what I spend I just know what is what some people think and probably say, especially here at MDC.

#23 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:07 AM

You know, this is part of the reason I avoided posting about my Fluff Factory winnings cos I won quite a few hyena items and yes I was really really over-the-moon about them :LOL but didn't want people concluding how greedy I was or whatever... but what the heck you're right. Who should care what others think in this respect - our money, and if we can afford it, and it's something we want, why not?

I guess no one would really have said anything about the FF auctions as they were for charity but I wonder if the story would be different if those auctions were eBay ones, all happening at the same time, and the same person won some high-priced auctions... nonetheless just as I wouldn't like to be judged, I shouldn't assume what others would or would not say, I guess.

It's just a little sad to know that some people can be small-minded enough to tell others how they think they should live their lives and spend their money. Judging is one thing, but presuming to impose your own values on others is another.
#24 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I was actually saying it tongue in cheek. I have no guilt whatsoever on what I spend I just know what is what some people think and probably say, especially here at MDC.
I know.

I love your wool stash. It's beautiful. I think I'm feeling some jealously on this end! :LOL

#25 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleIslandMom
It's just a little sad to know that some people can be small-minded enough to tell others how they think they should live their lives and spend their money. Judging is one thing, but presuming to impose your own values on others is another.
I agree. That's why I was shocked when I read that people have received pm's telling them they were greedy, etc. They're just diapers, why do people get natsy about it?

#26 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Shelly got nasty PMs when sharing her wash routine because people said she was wasting water
: That is so lame I have to laugh
#27 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:54 AM

: I'm reading how mamas are being treated and I'm like ! People! people! Get some perspective on your life!

GREAT! Have I set myself up for some nasties? Well my inbox in almost full so I can't get too many! :LOL
#28 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can't even conceive of the kind of person who would pm someone to criticize them for bidding on ebay

PMing someone to accuse them of having a wash routine that wastes water is even more mind boggling

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#29 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 11:04 AM

what does the term "hyena" mean? I've seen it used a couple different ways in this thread. thanks

FWIW - I could care less what ya'll do with your money, heehee
#30 of 94 Old 02-28-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I can't even conceive of the kind of person who would pm someone to criticize them for bidding on ebay

PMing someone to accuse them of having a wash routine that wastes water is even more mind boggling

And I can't imagine how someone with small children has enough time and energy to sit around and think of stuff like that. Sounds like there are women out there who really need to branch out a bit and get a hobby.

It still blows me away that there are people who feel it is their business how others spend their money. Talk about presumptious.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page