Using conditioner on wool.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got a Peace Fleece skirt and it is pretty scratchy. I also have very scratchy Pickle Pants. I have repeatedly washed in wool wash but the Pickle Pants are still scratchy (just got the skirt so haven't washed it yet) I have heard that putting hair conditioner on wool will soften it. How exactly is this done? Any brand in particular? Should wool be wet? Moist? How to apply the conditioner? Is there anything I should NOT do? I don't want to risk damaging anything - especially this beautiful skirt

Details for a sleep deprived mama, please Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:06 AM

#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for scratchy wool. I think the conditioner trick does make a little bit of a difference. I've heard the cheaper the kind, the better. You just put a whole bunch of it in a little lukewarm water in the sink and work it in gently. Do not agitate too much! Also, Peace Fleece apparently softens up a lot after just regular washing. Hopefully that helps.

Nada
#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:28 AM

If downey advanced is okay to soften up hemp and not mess up absorbancey why cant we use it for wool??
#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:32 AM

I used keratin conditioner from natures gate on my soakers and it worked great! I got them wet, rubbed the conditioner all over the soakers, let them sit for a while, then rinsed them out. Nice soft soakers!
NAK
#6 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 AM

I just recently conditioned some scratchy wool I had.

I used suave humectress (sp)

After i washed the soaker and it was still damp I squirted a big ol' handful on conditioner on it and gently massaged it in. I let it sit overnight (I meant it to be 10 minutes but I forgot about it)

I think it softened up a lot. it smells good too!
#7 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another tip, which works very well, is to put a little liquid fabric softener in a bowl of tepid water and let the garment soak for 20 mn or so. Any kind is fine. Because the cover is SUPPOSED to repel water, it actually works well. I have done this with a few of my covers and never had a problem. You won't have any glops of conditioner, either.
#8 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 11:53 AM

I made a pair of longies, a bum sweater and a cover from the same wool sweater. The longies and bum sweater were finished first so they've been conditioned but the cover hasn't. The conditioned pieces are definitely softer than the unconditioned cover, but I don't think they're as soft as cashmere or merino. So conditioner helps, but may not solve all the scratchies.

I used a 99c bottle of VO5 (strawberries and cream- yum) conditioner mixed in just enough cool water to cover my wool. It soaked for 45 min then I rinsed it gently in cool water and let it dry before lanolizing it. It smells yummy! Of course, I'm not sure how well it works because ds is wearing it for the first time right now! :LOL
#9 of 9 Old 03-03-2005, 09:37 PM

I'm going to try the fabric softener trick next. I totally love the smell of my FS.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page