Mothering Forum banner

Toddler & NB in cloth= mucho laundry?

828 views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  thepeach80 
#1 ·
This fall, I'll have a toddler in cloth (mostly fuzzi bunz and prefolds with Bummi SWW) and a newborn in cloth (still researching what I'll be using.) Right now, I do diaper laundry about every 2 days. I'm wondering if I'll still be able to keep to that schedule - will my washer be able to handle twice the diapers in a load? Anyone have experience with this that they'd like to share? (BTW, I have your average, run-of-the mill washer. No front load, no super capacity, just your plain-o washer.)

#5 ·
I have a 6 month old and a 20 month old in cloth
It actually doesn't seem like THAT much...

I wash daily because I don't have an enormous stash nor do I want one. And I hate the stink of two day old diapers. This way I get a medium load and everything gets pretty clean. Once in a while I'll skip a day, on the weekend or something, but generally it's every day. And definitely every day when L was an NB.
I guess you could wash every other day but might need to do two loads.

#8 ·
I personally have enough fluff to go about 5-6 days, if we ration a little:LOL But I did once while reaaaaally sick recently, and let me tell ya it was not pretty!

I can go every other day, but then I do not feel like i have control of the fluff-it has control of me:LOL I like to keep a good handle on things so I wash everyday. I find things get cleaner and it takes less time sorting, etc. USUALLY. I have times when I wash every other day, but it is not the norm. I find I have more control over using what I want to use when I wash more often, or being able to use certain things while out, etc.
It is alot of diaper changing/washing with two-but you get used to it, and it seems so easy eventually and you wonder how you could have possibly thought you were busy before!

#9 ·
Yes, all you will do is laundry!!! :LOL I had enough diapers for my toddler that I only HAD to diapers once every 6 days! Of course I did it more often, but I just had so many. Well now I do diapers every other day, but I'm ALWAYS doing laundry cause then you got all the clothes, bibs, etc that the baby spit up on.........I feel like all I do is laundry these days :LOL

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kavamamakava
When I had a toddler and a newborn in diapers, I did a load every day. It just helped not to have a mountain of soiled diapers to sort through. I probably could have gotten away with a load every other day though.
yep me too!

Now my todller is potty training so I'm back to every other day

boy:
girl:

#11 ·
Yeah, we have an 18 month old & 3 month old and we're doing laundry every day right now.
DH told me last week to PLEASE buy more diapers so I could go every two days...not gonna see me complain!

#12 ·
I must have a small washer or something because when both boys were in dipes, I was doing laundry every day.

The first couple weeks that Jack was born - I did 2 loads a day.

Just a warning for you... do not overload your washer. The diapers won't get clean and you'll quickly get soap buildup and then stink issues. I'm speaking from experience on that. lol.

#17 ·
I have a 19 month old and a 2.5 week old baby. I started the newborn in Wonderoos when she was a week old. They both use Wonderoos and DS uses FB's as well. I have to do a load of diapers every day or I run out.

My DS has 24 diapers and my DD has 12. It all depends on how many you have in your stash. I need some more for the wee babe

#18 ·
I have one of those HUGE diaper pails, and it's full in just 2 days. I had a toddler and a 6 mo old in cloth. Ivy recently day potty trained, so now it's just Indigo. Those little ones generate TONS of wet and poopy dipes a day!! I found myself doing diaper laundry every single day.

#19 ·
My washer will hold 2 diaper-pails full, if they aren't packed down. I have a toddler, a newborn, me using cloth pads, and the family using cloth bathroom wipes. I wash every other day, but sometimes it piles up (kids keep packing down the diaper pails) and I'll do 2 loads in one day. It's just something I do - I figure if I'm not washing a bunch of diapers, I'd be washing something else, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

I guess it also helps that diaper laundry is still my only major postpartum household chore I'm expected to do right now. Everybody else does the rest of the jobs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.