disturbing article-????? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
natural simplicity should be up and running in a few weeks. i talked with the momma that bought it.
i use usp ultrafine grade lanolin that i get in a 1 pound jar. the pharmacy orders it for me.
it has no additives or alcohol in it. (eta, that i am aware of.....)
the ddt thought is rather alarming though
#32 of 49 Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

So, I guess the verdict is to use either Lansinoh or organic lanolin?
I'll have to check the stats on my Home Health lanolin.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#33 of 49 Old 03-14-2005, 04:14 PM

I would say any of the lanolins graded as USP modified which include Lansinoh and Purelan or organic and you will be safe from the pesticides.
#34 of 49 Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 PM

In addition to the link I previously posted, here are two other sources that certify they are pesticide free.

http://www.herbalglobal.com/Liquid_Lanolin_8079.html
http://www.internatural-alternative-...ingr179180.cfm
#35 of 49 Old 03-17-2005, 03:36 PM

My "other" occupation is a health risk assessor for environmental chemical exposures, and I see DDT detected all over the place where one wouldn't expect. Buying organic lanolin vs. non-organic will not have any effect on the lanolin's DDT content. That's because DDT is a compound that persists for a long time in the environment, and any that is found now is left over from being used 30+ years ago, or from more recent use overseas (because the atmosphere redistributes it around the world). Since DDT is more soluble in fat (and fat-like substances) than in water, it accumulates at higher concentrations in things like lanolin (and breast milk!) than in other places in the environment (like lakes and streams). Trace amounts of DDT are everywhere, and raising sheep in an organic manner does not limit their exposure to DDT. However, DDT wasn't banned because of human health problems, and it is unlikely that small exposures are a human health concern.

DDT was used to kill mosquitos (among other things) in the U.S. through 1972 when it was banned mainly because it resulted in the thinning of wild birds' egg shells, and so birds couldn't effectively reproduce. On older colleague of mine remembers running down the street on hot summer days with lots of other little kids behind the DDT truck to feel the cool spray emanating from it (i.e., the DDT!). Although he seems to be OK (usually), I am not saying I recommend that!

If you are interested in the dose of DDT that is expected to be "safe," a good source is the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). See:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts35.html#bookmark05

or for the long, technical version,

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp35.html

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#36 of 49 Old 03-17-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks Jennifer!!! That's very helpful. First mercury exposure on my dipes, then DDT in the lanolin...thank goodness for experts!
#37 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 PM

Here's a supplier in India...

http://www.rolexlanolin.com/
#38 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 07:14 PM

Organic lanolin is now available from http://www.sudzndudz.com/

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#39 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 PM

Thanks Jennifer for the info - that was my reaction too, that organic lanolin wouldn't make any difference. Even organic sheep eating organic grass are going to get some pesticide residue from the water and ground.
#40 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Tiny Birds has Disana Lanolin www.tinybirds.com and Monkey Sudz will have certified organic liquid lanolin wash in stock soon www.monkeysudz.com

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#41 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 10:43 PM

I *think* the Disana organic lanolin still has parabens in it, which kind of defeats the purpose in my mind. A co-op just ended for organic lanolin, but I know of a source that sells it. It's nearly cost prohibitive, but it exists.
#42 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 10:51 PM

Whoops! Thanks Tiffany! Nothing like resurrecting a dead thread, LOL
#43 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
It probably means we should be using organic lanolin.

Like the kind Natural Simplicity used to sell.
I don't know that the kind Natural Simplicity used to sell was organic. At least the stuff she shipped to the new owners wasn't organic and NS has not been able to provide the name(s) of her organic lanolin supplier either.
#44 of 49 Old 06-07-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyVL
Umm, the people who bought natural simplicity's wool care/body care line have been up and running for months.
i think that post was a bit ago...check out the date of the original OP
#45 of 49 Old 06-15-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamaMama
that was my reaction too, that organic lanolin wouldn't make any difference. Even organic sheep eating organic grass are going to get some pesticide residue from the water and ground.

I beg to differ...it does indeed make a difference, not just with lanolin, but with everything we put in and on our bodies The reduction of pesticide residues is not the only benefit of organic farming. Using organic products means we are supporting sustainable agriculture, humane treatment and natural food for the animals, and eliminate the use of chemical fertilizers, hormones, fungicides and bacteriosides that wreak havoc on the water supply and ecosystems they drain into. Plus, in many cases, we are supporting small business...a cause dear to the soul of every WAHM.
#46 of 49 Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM

WhitneyDL, can you please tell me the source for organic lanolin that you know about? Thank you!
BarbaraW
#47 of 49 Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 AM

Up until now, I think everyone's organic lanolin has been coming from the same Australian company. However, they just went out of business. If you're looking for a wholesale source, I suggest contacting the owner of Sudz n Dudz and asking her where she's getting hers, because she says she just found a new source.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#48 of 49 Old 08-25-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunklin'sMommy
On older colleague of mine remembers running down the street on hot summer days with lots of other little kids behind the DDT truck to feel the cool spray emanating from it (i.e., the DDT!). Although he seems to be OK (usually), I am not saying I recommend that!
OMG, do we know the same person? I believe he said he lived in Brazil at the time. He is very short. I always wondered if that stunted his growth.
#49 of 49 Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree
Great Article--Thank you for sharing!

The article indicated DDT-like.

Not sure about the rest of the country but here in PA if I am not mistaken the use of DDT is Illegal and you are not even allowed to dispose of it. For something like 30 years now!
If someone knows differently please post-curious. I really liked this article.

No help on the best lanolin though.

Yep, that's why DDT is bad - the persistence.

And on the topic of organic lanolin getting pesticide residue :LOL

OK, picutre this - we are standing in the middle of a desert. The nearest town is three hours away, population 40. The big town is seven hours away. The vegetation is saltbush, bluebush and myall trees. You can tell we're on a sheep station, because the lichen covering the sand is worn away in tracks leading to the water point, and if you walked a kilometre in any direction you'd see a fence. The bluebushes and myall trees and hundreds of years old, the only animals around are the roos and the sheep and the rabbits and the ants. Every so often a man on a motorbike will come through and shift the 200 or so sheep in this 'paddock' to another one. Every year they'll get sheared, and every so often they'll get crutched.

http://www.australian-aridlands-bota....org/index.htm

THAT'S why it's organic. They wander around the desert eating saltbush, dodging flies their whole life. No pesticide.

ETA: yes, they could be drenched for pests/diseases, but obviously they wouldn't be sold as organic int at case.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page