What is your diaper pail? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to get a second diaper pail. My current one is an actual diaper pail with a locking lid that I bought used from someone at an LLL garage sale. I think it's One Step Ahead. Prior to that, I used a smallish Sterilite trashcan with a flip lid. I am thinking I'll just get a new trashcan, flip lid, but bigger than the one I currently have (which is being used for trash, anyway, in my laundry room).

Tell me all what you use for a diaper pail. This will be for newborn diapers, so I'm not too worried about odors. I will probably be washing every day or every other day anyway, as I have a 2 year old in diapers.

I was thinking about this can, lined with a Bummis large pail liner (you think that would be the right size?) :

http://www.spacesavers.com/st52qttotopt.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 PM

Mine is an actual diaper pail, it's a small safety 1st one and it holds just about enough for 3 days. I wash about every 2-3 so that is fine for me, I use a cheap camping bag from walmart as a liner.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I think mine is the Safety First one you mention. How old is your baby? Mine only holds 2 days worth, max, but my son is big and wears big diapers. All premium prefolds, lots of doublers, and large Fuzzi Bunz. I'm going to keep using this pail for him when the baby comes.

Where did you buy yours? I'm curious, b/c I've had people ask where to buy a diaper pail. Mine is great (total smell proof when locked) but I don't know where to send them, since i bought it used.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

Come on, ladies, I know you all have diaper pails.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 PM

I use an open, cheap folding one from IKEA for $4.
Now that we have a new place with a closed door laundry room, I prefer an open pail. Except for the one in our bathroom for poopy dipes. I bought a silver can with a pullout pail and foot pedal for Walmart for about $15.It is small and will hold about a day or two's worth of poopy dipes comfortably.:LOL

I wash everyday usually so an open pail is better for me.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:05 PM

I use and love a silver can with pullout inside from Target, it came with a little one that I don't use but plan to use in the bathroom when DS starts solids. I still use a liner, but like that I can take the pull out part outside and rinse or sit in the sun. It has a foot pedal too. It holds at the least two, but usally three days worth of diapers.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
Mine is an actual diaper pail, it's a small safety 1st one and it holds just about enough for 3 days. I wash about every 2-3 so that is fine for me, I use a cheap camping bag from walmart as a liner.
ditto on everything! our safety first pail used to have these "jaws" that you would push the diaper through a small opening on the top. this clearly was not designed for cd's, so i removed the jaws, and open the entire top. i use extra large stuff sacks from ems to line it. so far it is holding about 2 days of nb dipes.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM

I use a Sterlite trash can I picked up at Target. It's somewhere around 22 quarts I think, and the opening is oval-shaped. The lid has a button on the front to make it flip up. The large Bummis bag fits perfectly inside as a liner.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:15 PM

I have the same safety first one everyone else is talking - also having removed the jaws of life. I got mine from BRU, and I saw them at Target too. I just use a large laundry bag as a liner.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 PM

cheap, plastic step-open one from *ahem* walmart
Old 04-13-2005, 08:41 PM

I've got one almost exactly like what you've provided the link to. It fits 2 days of diapers for my 2 year old, it fits neatly between my washing machine and my laundry sink and contains odours well.

I line it with a garbage bag. For some insane reason I've spent thousands of dollars on pretty diapers and always balked at paying for two bummis pail liners.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM

I have a Busch pail that is designed specifically for cloth diapers. Its huge with a locking lid and spot for pail pals. www.motherandchilcreations.com carries them
Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 PM

I use a Rubbermaid (I think) trash can that I bought at Target. Looks a lot like the one you have pictured. I throw a Bummis pail liner in it and it works perfectly. I have no complaints.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will be the odd one out. I don't use a "real" diaper pail :LOL . I use a imitation rubbermade square box with a snap-on lid. THis can not be knocked over and makes a nice magazine holder (sits next to the toilet). It holds about 2 days worth of diapers for my 2.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 PM

I have a Sterilite with a flip up/latching lid. It's the size of a smaller kitchen pail, and I have a large Bummis bag that fits in it perfectly with plenty leftover to fold over the top.

I do wish I had a second Bummi bag - boy they are great! I also use some tea tree oil from Aveda that is amazing for any odor issues.

User Tag List