How many cloth wipes do I need? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I'm expecting my first baby soon, and am planning on CDing. My current project is sewing flannel and terry together to make cloth wipes, 8"x8", based on research I did right here! I'm planning on using a dry pail and therefore doing diaper laundry every 2-3 days (we'll see how that goes!!). How many wipes would you all recommend I have?

Thanks!
#2 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 08:08 PM

We have about 2 dozen 4X8 and about 2 dozen 8X8. I use one 4x8 for every change though, just for a wipe down after being in a wet diaper. I use the 8x8 for poo diapers. I wash them with my diapers everyday, but dont run out for at least 3 days!
I store them premoistened in sposie wipe buckets. HTH!
#3 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 PM

I had a couple dozen, which I found more than enough. Once he was past a year or so, a dozen was all I kept handy because it was all I needed most of the time unless he was sick.
#4 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 09:53 PM

I would say around 40-50, but I use mine for diaper changes, faces, hands, noses...and all sorts of stuff...they end up all around the house, and I often run out of wipes before i run out of dipes....I like to have lots on hand though, they are just handy for everything, and you'll use them for years to come. My wipes are smaller though, prob about 5x5, and I often use 2-3 for a poopy diaper.
Welcome to the world of cloth!
#5 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 PM

We have about 75?? maybe?? But we also use them for everything. 8x8's are so versatile. I use 4x8's as family wipes.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#6 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 10:51 PM

50 was always a magic number here.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#7 of 16 Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 PM

2 dozen works for me, washing EOD. In fact, I could get by with fewer.
#8 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 AM

At least 2 dozen.
But if you use wipes for everything else (to wipe up babe after eating crackers, to wipe down nasty tables when we're out, to mop up after spraying boobs, etc.), at least 4 dozen is good.

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#9 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 AM

I have 60 plus wipes. I love having a large number of wipes! For some reason I find it very comforting to know I have enough that I will never run out. However, I don't think you *need* this many. I think 2 dozen is probably the minimum number you need. Though if you would like to sometimes stretch to 3 days you would probably feel a little better having more. I agree with pp that if you have a lot of wipes you can use them for more things than just diaper changes. I also have extra prefolds for this reason.

Good for you for making your own!
#10 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Holy moly, I don't think I could sew 75! I'm doing this by hand and my fingers are already complaining. :LOL

I think I have enough material to make thirty right now, so I'll go ahead and use it all up. However it would be nice to have plenty of extras around for face/handwashing in stuff so I may buy some plain washcloths to have on hand too... but I imagine these nice thick wipes I'm making will be better for wiping poopie butts, it always grossed me out using the thin disposables when working daycare.

Thanks so much for the advice!
#11 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 11:24 AM

I agree, 2 doz minimum of the larger size, especially for those 6 months when they poop all the time! After that you could get away with less, if only using for diapers. However, I'm always grabbing mine for washing up the girls.

With our twins, I'd say we have 3-4 dozen, and I need MORE! I wash every other day at least, but sometimes I'm fishing half-dry wipes out of the dryer for a change! lol! I just love cloth for poop, snot, sticky hands and face, highchairs - basically everything!
#12 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 11:45 AM

I started with 2 dozen, and somehow they multiplied :LOL Actually most of the ones I have were given as freebies with things I had ordered. During the first few "pooping every diaper change" months, those 2 dozen worked fine for me and I could go every 3 days before washing so I would think if you did 30, you should be fine. I hope your fingers hold out
#13 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 02:06 PM

Like 3 little monkeys I got alot of free wipes. I would get 2dz, that is imo the minimum you should have. I bought 2dz and I have close to 4dz now. We usethem for yucky eyes, wiping my hands up if I have to put cream on her bum, wiping spit up off clothes, all kinds of things. I reccomend getting a wipes warmer too. I got one when dd was almost 1 month old after getting sick and tired of running to the sink everytime we needed a wipe. Its great nice warm wet wipes right there at the change table

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)
#14 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 02:13 PM

I hav3e a few dozen-probably like 4 dozen, and material to make more. I can go about 3-4 days. I got a custom from crystals cloth and a bunch of Kind Hearted Woman, when they were still readily available from Granolamoms.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#15 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM

You can never have enough wipes! We have at least 5 dozen square ones plus 3.5 dozen 3x5, and this is a comfortable amount. Consider cutting some of those 8x8 squares in half for smaller wipes.

We keep piles of wipes in 4-6 places around the house, and use them for wiping spit-up and leaky boobs and sometimes I blow my nose on them - they're quite handy. We wash every day or two. Wipes everywhere!
#16 of 16 Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfey
...I imagine these nice thick wipes I'm making will be better for wiping poopie butts, it always grossed me out using the thin disposables when working daycare.
I think even the most basic cloth wipes (1 layer of flannel) are nicer to use than disposable wipes. It seems like they get the baby cleaner. Disposable wipes also seem to be harder on their skin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page