Mothering Forum banner

If you were expecting a 9lb-ish baby

693 views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  cielle 
#1 ·
what size and brand covers would you get? I plan to use Kissaluvs and prefolds. (unless someone can tempt me with other easy to get fluff :LOL )

Open to PUL, wool or fleece.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Kissaluvs 0's fit dd who was 9'8 really well until she was about 4 months.
I expect this bub to be as big if not bigger and I have onhand plenty of Kissaluv 0's.. I like RB flam covers as well over them, and we had a lana wool cover in xs that fit her a long time as well! we used all wool.. I can tell you I had one newborn prorap and I could never get it done up around her :LOL from the night she was born!

#3 ·
One of my babes was just over 9 lbs, one was just under. I'm due again in Dec (
) and expect this babe to be around there again!

But, I only used cloth on K when she was born. I used small ProRaps over the Kissaluvs 0s. They worked wonderfully. They fit for a long time too! But K is a long, skinny baby, so that always has an effect things (even at 13 months, she can still fit into some of her nb dipes... silly skinny thing
).

I also love Motherease Air-Flow covers. They're the only PUL covers we use now that K is 13 months. While I
wool dearly, I think there are completely appropriate times for PUL as well! I think the smalls do seem to be a bit big, but I think that's just their poofy-ness factor. They do look a lot poofier than other covers, but really, PUL squishes down to nothing under clothes!

#5 ·
Well, I did have to maneuver things a bit with the small ProRaps, but it wasn't too terribly difficult I thought. But I do think the ME AFs were much easier, because they aren't rigid at all across the front, so it was easy to kind of tuck it down in the front.

Originally I was just too cheap to buy NB covers, but from hearing some thoughts from other mamas here, it seems that may have been a good decision, especially because it seems K 0s are a bit bulky and many nb covers don't fit well over them (this is all of course only what I hear, I've never yet tried a nb cover on a Kissaluvs 0!)

#9 ·
Both of mine were 8' 14" when born. I used prefolds and proraps on #2, and will use them again when #3 is born. I suspect this baby will be around the same size as my other two - but you never know. lol I did not have newborn sized covers when ds was born and I needed them. The small proraps did not fit him until he was 10.5 lbs. He had such skinny legs. This time I have 4 newborn proraps/green earth wraps and 4 newborn dappi pull on pants (the newborn dappis go to 13lbs.) If baby is too big for the newborn proraps, then I know I can resell them and not lose much money, and I know the dappis will definitely fit. Oh, and I also bought some preemie prefolds (not really necessary) to use in the newborn proraps since they won't be as bulky as the infant prefolds.

#10 ·
I was expecting a 9ish lb baby. He ended up coming early and weighing 8lbs 1 oz. I started cding on day 10 after his cord fell off and healed. We used infant cpfs and sm BSWW which were bulky on him but worked well. Small FB were the only pockets (I also tried sm HH and Ella's) that fit. Because his nb legs were skinny, pockets without adjustable legs didn't work well.

Stacey

#11 ·
I'm expecting a big baby myself. I ordered 8 custom covers from Baby Bloomrs in cute prints. They're PUL with a print outer and a micro inner. Anyway, instead of getting the nb size with an umbilical snap-down, I'm getting the size small, and Christina is sweetly going to do the snap-down on the sz small for me!

I have so many covers, though! I may be willing to part with one if you want. I hate to do that, but I made the order a couple of months ago and was so excited to have them that I didn't really do the math. I already have a few other covers! Anyway, if you'd like to have one lmk, I'll tell you what I pd for each.

#12 ·
My experience was similar to Adamsmama's. My son was 9lb. 13 oz. and at birth fit into the Kissaluvs 0's on the largest snap setting. By 3-4 weeks he was wearing small fitteds. I loved using the Kslvs but felt pretty bad about having spent so much $$ on them, only to use them for such a short time. If I could go back and do it over again I would have bought a genlty used set.

#14 ·
My last two were over 10 pounds and very round. On one I just used prefolds and vinyl pants, on the next I used prefolds dappi covers and bumkin covers. This one I plan on using a LOT of homemade stuff plus some prefolds and Bummis wraps, however I am planning ahead and only getting smalls, and a few mediums, no newborn stuff at all.
I also second some streachy knitted wool. I have some covers that my sister made when DS#3 was 6 months old, and he can still fit into them!
Donna

#15 ·
My DS was only 6 lbs. 14oz. at birth but was 11 lbs. by 5 weeks of age. He just now outgrew the Kissaluvs 0's and he's about 13 1/2 lbs. now. He could wear them longer but is outgrowing the rise as we keep getting poop out the back.

I prefered all wool covers because they allowed the stump to heal better. It didn't matter if the wool covered the stump because it still allowed the air to circulate.

Congrats on your baby!

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena
My first thought when I saw your title was:

I'd be doing perineal massage around the clock.

:LOL

I would try to go for some knitted wool. It has great stretch. Something merino, nice for a new bebe.

Congrats!

Thanks everyone for all the input and great suggestions! I appreciate it so much!

#17 ·
My DS was 9lbs 5 and 22"

I tried a few nb cloth stuffs, but since I was expecting a baby in the high 8s (I was 8lbs 14 and my DH was 8lbs 5, both first babies) I had decided to use sposies for a couple weeks until I was healed and could handle a newborn and learning cloth. I was a little scared :p

Anyways, I'm kinda glad I waited because he was a chunk, esp lengthwise. I ended up waiting until he was out of his 0-3m clothes because he had NO spare room for a diaper, they barely fit with a sposie!

I tried a KL0 with a prowrap and while the KL fit, the prowrap was too small over the diaper! I bought a bumpy and it was a size small and it was HUGE...

Bumpies were by far my fav cover for a newborny stage though, so i'm already stashing away diapers for my next baby which won't come to pass for atleast another year + (we plan on ttcing next spring) but since my son is almost a large i'm pretty much done buying diapers for him...he definately doesn't NEED anything much.
However since I didn't have any newborn diapers, and not enough smalls...i'm collecting ones I know will fit a bigger newborn NOW..

My stash : (all the new ones i've bought since he was born)

A "newborn" and small sized wool covers from tootsweet. Shes planning on opening again, so I'll be wanting more smalls. the legs have lots of elastic and should work with a newborn and fit a long time.

KHW - I've bought like 7, and I can actually squeeze my now skinny 15m toddler in one. I could at 8-9m too when he was still pretty chubby. he's 23lbs and has been in the 20-23lb range since he was 5-6m old. But if I can squeeze him into one, I'm sure they will fit awhile for a big baby

BBH - I bought used, but another mama assures me they will fit a long time, despite looking teeny weenie.

FLAMs - I expect to fit the shortest, but they are cute and easy...plus I bought mostly knits so they stretch. knit outters will always fit longer.

Kiwi pie - Maria made me a special newborn diaper with my fabric and OV inner. Should fit easily...my friend tried it on her 11lb 3mth old and it was fabulous on the tight snaps
Also have a med cover and a pair of newborn wool pants maria made (small) for me

elbee - I've been assured a XS will fit a long time even for a big baby (hard to believe, but they are quite big and my son fits a med on the tightest settings with a OV elbee) and i'm planning on getting some more XS and Ss with my 2 upcoming order #s

firefly - i'm told the XSs are teeny, even on a small babe, and with larger legs not so go. I've bought a single small for after the stump falls off.

My shopping list is more elbees (probably 5 more XS for a even 6, and 6 smalls) and a small wooly bully.
More newborn wool (I'd really like a small kiwipie too)
And some fleece (i've got my eyes on totbots) and a couple pul covers as backups for my wools.
PUL i'm buying bumpy covers.

I'd probably like to get some size 1 nightlights for my next baby too since they work SOO well for my son, and he slept through the night at 6wks, (i'm talking 10-12hrs here! he slept for 6hrs a night from birth!)

But i'm not actively seeking those yet, because I can wait and hope for a custom order between now and then, or maybe someone else will make something that compares

OH, and I have a LC size 1 in a adorable giraffe print that fiits my son, but barely, i've got stashed away for after the cord falls off.
I'm worried about having enough cord-friendly fitteds though, because his took 3 weeks!

#18 ·
DS was 9lbs at birth - he is now 10 weeks and weighs 14lbs.

He wore (and still wears) indian IPFs, but they are getting too small now (I have Premium and regular ones on the way though)

For covers, he only wore the NB ones for 5 days and then was too big for them - I would not buy them again.

For covers, he had Small Bumkins, Small Bummis and Small Sugarbums. They all still fit him but I am moving on to the next size when the Regular prefolds get here.

I also skipped the size Small FBs because in the beginning babies poop so much that they are not worth it IMO. I bought size M FBs for him last month and they are just great - fit him perfectly!!

So I am saying is - you don't need to invest so much money on NB diapers. Most of them are just too small for a 9lb baby anyways...

#23 ·
Mine was 9 lbs 10oz. We didn't use NB proraps at all, even though I bought them, they were just too small. The KL 0 I had lasted about 3 or 4 weeks. But it was fun while it lasted! Our small FB still fits great and I love it. We also have some used ME Sandy's in small that fit great and a couple MEOS that are good too.. We have some wonderoos that are just now starting to fit properly. Our small MEAFs are definitely our favorite covers. I really didn't like our Bummis but I think he was always on the big side for that. The proraps are fine too, I just like that the MEAFs aren't stiff at all.

DS is now almost 7weeks and probably around 13 lbs. The fitteds, etc. are all fun but I do like the PFs. He eats A LOT so we are constantly changing him and the no-fuss PFs are really great for that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.