Mothering Forum banner

Starting to CD part-time at 23 months... or is it worth it?

399 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  USAmma 
#1 ·
My schedule and financial situation are about to change drastically in the next month, and I've been toying with the idea of trying CD's - partly because I'll have a lot more time at home, but also a lot less money.

My questions are...

If I put dd in CD's about 1/2 or 2/3 of the time, how many diapers will I need?

Assuming that she goes through about $10 a week of sposies, would buying CD's this late in the game save me any money? She has shown interest in using the potty, and may be out of diapers before she's 2.5.

I'm going to have a lot more time at home now, so the extra laundry shouldn't be an issue, but how much extra laundry are we talking about, really? 2 more loads/week? 4? 6? (We have a large front-loader.)

Just an FYI, I'm not going to be spending money on fancy dipes. I just want the minimum number of easy-to-wash plain boring dipes. (But I've seen how easily this could become an addiction, so don't hold me to that!)

#2 ·
I think it would be worth it. I would sugest 2 dozen prefolds and 4 covers. How big is your DD? Alexis is about 24 lb and she is wearing Premium prefolds. I would sugest you check out this package http://www.theclothdiapercompany.com...lt.asp?One=178 and get the premium or toddler package. Plus she has free shipping over $50 and gives you 10 % off with with voucher number 412670010. If you can swing it, you might check out her Nighttime Diapering Package http://www.theclothdiapercompany.com...lt.asp?One=293 . I add 2 more doublers http://www.theclothdiapercompany.com...ult.asp?One=59 and my super soaker does not wet the bed.

#3 ·
Just curious, why only 1/2 to 2/3's time? It's not much more of an investment to do it full time and you wouldn't have spossies at all them.

I wash dipes every 3 days it depends on the size of your stash though.

Also ds showed intrest in the potty at 2 then lost it, he was 3 before he even started potty training and then there were still nightimes and outtings......

I'd say you could get a good amount of what you need for 100-200, or way less if you are thrity and shop around, another year in spossies would be 520+.

FWIW, I have a nice stash, but still have only spent about 400 dollars, so less than a year of spossies, and I've gone a bit crazy on nice dipes if I had stayed to the bummis and prefolds it would have been about 70 dollars total.

#4 ·
We started CDing my ds when he was 26 months old. I bought a few (2) Fuzzibunz to try out and a few inserts as well. I ended up purchasing around 6 FBs and was able to get 1 1/2 days out of that by using sposies at night. I eventually ended up getting a few more and now have 10 FBs that we have been using exclusively for a while. Our ds stays dry much longer these days so we really don't have to change as often. I change him about every 4 or 5 hours and that works out fine.
So...if you did FBs as an example...
that's about $14 each for 8 (for p/t) *$112*
plus 8 inserts (approx. $4 each) *$32*
microfiber towels *$5*
So close to $150 to use that system (new) part time.
There are usually tons of deals to be found on the Trading Post...so you could likely find these types of items cheaper. And if your dd is going to be using the potty soon, then you may be able to get by f/t on this!

#5 ·
Funny....I actually switched p/t to cloth at about the same age....My dd was refusing to wear diapers during the day only those thick 5 ply Gerber panties, but she NEEDED coverage at night - and had a FIT about diapers....so I bought some fitteds and covers for nighttime (she wasn't a huge wetter to start with) and low and behold within 3 months the kiddo was totally PT'd!!!!

Do I think you'll save money? Well, that depends.... Can you keep you cost under the $240 it would be in sposies (not including the impending price hike...)? INCLUDING water costs?

Frankly, I'd still say yes, just because I think that it moves them in the right direction for PTing, especially if they aren't accostumed to cloth on their bums....

Good luck with your decision!

#6 ·
I would say go for it full time in cloth. Why bother with sposies at all. And this might help you dc to potty train. I know that when my dd was about 2.5, she hated feeling wet even for a second, which helped her learn to use the potty. You can buy used diapers from the trading post, I find diaper covers at the thrift store often. You could do it for really cheap. Do you know how to sew, or have a sewing machine? Good Luck

darkstar

#7 ·
I would say that it's worth it!! It's best to stick with either inexpensive pfs or other types of dipes with good re-sale value. Remember that you'll re-coup a large percentage of your investment. I had planned to cd part time but have found it so easy that we're doing it full-time. I started when ds was 10 days and figure I've already saved $40 in sposies after just 3 wks in cloth!

Stacey

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Just curious, why only 1/2 to 2/3's time? It's not much more of an investment to do it full time and you wouldn't have spossies at all them.
I'm just thinking about it realistically...
-either DH will be completely overwhelmed by the idea (he does about 1/2 the diaper changes), and will gripe about switching
:
-or I'll feel like I can't keep up with the laundry.
-or I won't ever get comfortable enough to use them when we're out and about.
-or all of the above

I really know NOTHING about CD's. I saw the "tutorial" which helped, but it just seems like whole other world!

#10 ·
You never know when your dc might potty train. Mine finally did at 3.8 years old. I'm so glad we used cloth for most of her pre-potty training life!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.