Mothering Forum banner

Can someone please explain to me what is going on here?

8K views 159 replies 70 participants last post by  USAmma 
#1 ·
What is the story with buying diapers at stockings with abandon that you don't want and then selling them on the TP? What is the point? I understand if you are buying something in particular for someone else, but why just buy random things you don't want? I have been around here a while and this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. It seems pointless. Unless of course it's a popularity contest.

#77 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 425lisamarie
Now, I have a sewing machine, a serger, and a snap press...but I can't seem to inspire myself to make my own diapers!! Hopefully soon I'll have the time
Creating your own fluff is a whole new addiction and I find since I started this that I'm rarely dissapointed when I don't succeed at a stocking. If I see a print I like THAT much I go online to see where I can grab it and make some of my own.

#78 ·
I never really had any hyena stuff (well, I did have an SOS once) but I have owned some pretty nice diapers. I've never tried the whole stalking thing because my computer is too slow for that! But you know what? I have come full-circle and I'm back to the simple life of prefolds and pull-on covers (dappi, alexis, etc). I've sold everything else on ebay. And you know what? It feels great, not only to get some desperately needed money, but also to simplify life a little. I used to have a whole dresser full of dipes, and it took forever to explain to dh what everything was and how to use it (and I even had to label everything so he would know which diapers belonged to who, and which ones needed covers, etc). Now I have a diaper stacker with prefolds in it (and the ones that won't fit are in the closet on the shelf). Each boy's covers are in their dresser drawer with their clothes. CLOTHES... for the first time in forever I'm actually using the dresser for clothes. This is probably a bit off-topic, but I wanted to agree with what a previous poster said about MDC supposedly being about living life simply and not over-consuming, etc. Not that you shouldn't own the hyena diapers. But do you need 100 of them for one baby? I have 2 babies in diapers now, and own 3 dozen prefolds.

That being said, how do I feel about the buying and selling of hyenas? I think all's fair in love and diapers, so chill out.
These are DIAPERS! If someone wants to buy one with the intent of maybe making a profit on ebay, let them. Don't knock ebay- it's a lot of fun. I often use ebay as a way to "make up for" too much spending. I recently sold all my wonderoos- after 6+ months of use I still got 60% back, and that was with buy-it-now; if I had let them go completely auction, maybe more? Did I sell them because I knew that they are in-demand and I knew I could get some pretty decent money? Yes. If I see a ton of carters clothes on clearance in Ross, do I consider buying them just to resell them on ebay for more? Sure. (though I've never tried it, but it seems like a good idea to me). Why is it okay to try to make some money selling kids' clothes, but not with diapers? I've been cloth-diapering for 3+ years, and it still amazes me how much money people are willing to spend. So, if I had the ability I would take advantage of that. And like another poster said, it's not like the wahm can't put them on ebay herself if she wanted to.

Was this a bunch of useless rambling?
: Probably. But just wanted to get some things out there and some different perspective.

They're just diapers... Your baby doesn't care. And it's not like you're stuck going with all prefolds (unless you want to) if you can't score some hyena fluff. There's TONS of cute wahm diapers out there that are very easy to get. And let me say it again... They're just diapers..........
:

#80 ·
Someone asked wasn't it "silly" to care about why people buy... I guess... but we're talking about a community that actually has members getting MAD when they don't score something as "silly" as a diaper. Silly is as silly does, I guess.

Let me clarify what I meant... I don't think there is anything wrong with buying 5 FCBs if you were hoping to get 5 FCBs. But, if you didn't even really want one but you bought 3 I just don't think that's normal. If we were talking about anything in the mainstream consumer world, here at MDC, people would be very critical of this kind of behavior.

#81 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmunch
What is the story with buying diapers at stockings with abandon that you don't want and then selling them on the TP? What is the point? I understand if you are buying something in particular for someone else, but why just buy random things you don't want? I have been around here a while and this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. It seems pointless. Unless of course it's a popularity contest.
The last time I got 2 diapers from the fluffymail stocking I did it for the fun of it but also to sell them to someone who couldnt get one because of their slower modem. I only sold them for what I paid plus shipping to them.

#83 ·
This was not intended to be a thread about people buying diapers and selling them at a profit on the TP or Ebay. I think we have been around that block, oh maybe half a dozen times.

I was inquiring as to why people are buying diapers if they don't need or want them. Sure, the explanation that they are stalking for the fun of it to offer them to their "friends" on the TP seems like a decent explanation. However, there are factors that seem to be coming to light here that does indeed make me feel that this practice is not only what I once deemed annoying, but now simply not fair. It is true that newbies cannot see the TP, therefore being denied the chance to buy a diaper that a seasoned "hyena" was able to score due to manicured hyenacart or the like skills. Also, there are those Mamas who work and can maybe make 5 minutes to try to buy a diaper at a scheduled stocking but certainly cannot troll the TP all day looking for the leftovers.

I, too agree that many of the ideals, so to speak, that make MDC what it is are not present anymore here. It used to be that you could pop on the computer and buy some diapers for your baby to wear. Now, it has become a game of who can buy the most. Think about that, who can buy the most. Mamas buying for the sake of buying, spending money they do not have, the thrill of shopping.

I don't know, it's just not working for me anymore.

#84 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carrietorgc
first, kim that is so cute that your dd stalked for you!!

I see what kim and meg described happen with not just fm, but sos, etc - i'm frankly pretty turned off trying for hyena dipes from all of it. from a human nature standpoint it is interesting to observe though.
It is quite interesting to observe.... I wonder if this will fizzle out eventually?

#85 ·
i have to admit, I was VERY VERY tempted to buy the lilac size 2 cover....because it was there, not b/c I needed it. It sat in my cart for a good 30 secs. How crazy is that? I use flipping FBs for goodness sake, what would I do with a wool cover (okay so I do have a few fitteds, but not enuf to warrant getting started on wool again)? The temptation to buy things I didnt even use/need/want/whatever is why I gave up my hyena stash abt 6 months ago. I truly was buying to buy. I think MOST of us do that here - at least in some capacity. Whether or not we admit it or tell ourselves, but ________ fits my babe sooooooo well, along with the other 40 dipes that fit soooooo well - this was my personal strategy - but a lot of us do.

and this "buying things up phenomenom" isnt new...does anyone else remember the particularly nasty "that's so not fair to me...I mean us" thread after a big RB stocking last year? I bet you do MissSugarCane, prob you too Jmunch. It got bad. I'm actually pleasantly suprised at how nicely this thread is going so far.

#86 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmunch
I, too agree that many of the ideals, so to speak, that make MDC what it is are not present anymore here. It used to be that you could pop on the computer and buy some diapers for your baby to wear. Now, it has become a game of who can buy the most. Think about that, who can buy the most. Mamas buying for the sake of buying, spending money they do not have, the thrill of shopping.

I don't know, it's just not working for me anymore.
another
Well said.

#87 ·
I think the whole buying frenzy is an interesting one. Especially that so much of it seems to happen with MDC mama's. It seems rather ironic to me. I don't want to go down the whole consumerism conversation again.

I just think it's interesting that from my perspective MDC tends to have the mama's that are the biggest Hyenas and it seems rather ironic given that it's a AP/NFL forum.

I don't do the whole stalking thing for diapers/covers. I got turned off about that very early on

#88 ·
I think having more cloth diapers/accessories, and handmade WAHM outfits that overlaps with your wool cover stash, etc, than you really need is one of the most innocent forms of overconsumerism or just plain overdoing it on something that I've witnessed in my life. It's a brief period for a mama when you have little ones to diaper and dress however you want, and getting some joy from specialty handmade works of art for your child's bum or whole outfit is just not that un-AP, IMO. If you have wayyyy more 'stuff' in your life, in general, then perhaps you need to rethink your relationship to material items and think about treading lighter on the planet, overall...... but if it's just a bigger-than-you-technically-must-have diaper stash or clothing collection for your child, or even also more slings than you must have (gasp!), I say it's just a bit of excess baby/toddler enthusiasm coming from mama and probably all good. I, at least, am speaking for myself and do find myself in that category--not a huge consumer/shopper these days (and living quite simply in a small apartment with my small family) for anything but WAHM creations for my child. I enjoy it. I don't feel guilty about that.

#89 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I think having more cloth diapers/accessories, and handmade WAHM outfits that overlaps with your wool cover stash, etc, than you really need is one of the most innocent forms of overconsumerism or just plain overdoing it on something that I've witnessed in my life. It's a brief period for a mama when you have little ones to diaper and dress however you want, and getting some joy from specialty handmade works of art for your child's bum or whole outfit is just not that un-AP, IMO. If you have wayyyy more 'stuff' in your life, in general, then perhaps you need to rethink your relationship to material items and think about treading lighter on the planet, overall...... but if it's just a bigger-than-you-technically-must-have diaper stash or clothing collection for your child, or even also more slings than you must have (gasp!), I say it's just a bit of excess baby/toddler enthusiasm coming from mama and probably all good. I, at least, am speaking for myself and do find myself in that category--not a huge consumer/shopper these days (and living quite simply in a small apartment with my small family) for anything but WAHM creations for my child. I enjoy it. I don't feel guilty about that.
I agree that it is pretty innocent (although it has the potential to get ugly and I have seen that happen here). I see nothing wrong with having more diapers than you need - I certainly do no matter how hard I try to simplify. :LOL But like Meg said, when mamas spend money they don't have just for the thrill of shopping or showing off what they have, that is sad. I've seen people complain about being broke, then turn around and beg for very expensive diapers that they HAVE to have.
:

ETA: I'm not referring to those who have the occasional hard time financially (unexpected illness, house/car repairs, etc), but those who seem to have a chronic problem with it.

#90 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by belleandboo
I've seen people complain about being broke, then turn around and beg for very expensive diapers that they HAVE to have.
:
I agree....one mama was once selling some hyena fluff on the TP because she had no other way of paying her electric bill that month, and that just made me feel awful for her.
Every time I see her posting about spending $$ on hyena goods since then, I have conflicted feelings and just hope things are better for her. It does suck all the fun out of things when you know that kind of background info and makes you wish that we could all just stay within our budget.

#91 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spatulagirl
And while I am at it, Hyena Hoarders bother me too, especially when I am looking for a specific ISO and they have it but refuse to sell they only want to trade. The item in question is just sitting in a drawer not being used and they only bought it because they wanted to use it as leverage to get something. It makes me sad. Someone who really really wants that item but doesn't have the wanted trade item is screwed. It's like bizarre diaper politics.
I agree that is a sad situation on the TP...but the hyenas have created that one for themselves. After having an ISO on the TP for months, looking to try a FCB AIO...no one responded without asking what hyena stuff I had that I could trade. Meanwhile...the hyenas are selling and buying FCB AIOs among themselves, but the non-hyenas who want to try stuff are left out of the loop. I did get one offer from a mama who wanted $44 for one. But I am not about to pay $44 for a used dipe that sells for $26 new. I finally decided to offer my lone hyena item (a MM soaker) up for trade for fluffymail...but no one wanted it because it was not organic

anyway...a generous mama finally offered to sell to me, and I have since seen her sell to other mamas looking to try out FCB items. We need more mamas like her that are willing to share the love

#92 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sustainer
It sounds like the reason you're in favor of it is because you happened to benefit from it this time. So if you had tried to buy a diaper directly from the FM stocking and the only reason you didn't get it is because someone else got to it first who then put it on the TP and sold it to someone else, then you'd probably be against it. Right?
No i am for it either way. If i dont' get it oh well. This way i just have 2 chances to try for it.
I just like the hunt and find part more sometimes. I am evil i am sure. I am just a compition type person.

#94 ·
Doesn't this sort of remind you of the beanie babies phenomenon? Remember when cars lined up around the block in the drive thru lane of McDonalds just to get some of those stupid teeny beanies in the happy meals? I was married to my ex at the time these were hugely popular and he became almost obsessed with them claiming "who cares if Princess costs 300 dollars...she'll be worth 500 by next year!" :LOL So he bought them up and I got caught up in it too thinking he was right and the next thing we knew we had 100's of them and they weren't worth squat! After we divorced I took all the BB's with me and they are just sitting in my garage collecting dust and will never be worth what they once were. Do you see where I'm going with this?

I admit I've recently been caught up in the fun stalkings/stockings and have spent WAY more than I should have. We aren't going broke because of it, but there are better things I can be spending money on. Recently I've started selling stuff around the house on ebay that I don't use any more to make diaper money. That's just as much fun to me as stalking the diapers. It's forcing me to clean up my clutter and get rid of dead space...it's a pretty good thing actually

I am definitely a hyena (albeit a new one) and it's fun for now. For me though I wanted to try just one of each kind of diaper out there. When I hear about a great diaper I want to try it. I don't need more than one...though that would be nice. If you look at my stash it's just a lot of different diapers and I only have 1 or 2 of each kind and that's perfectly fine. I have learned what fits my children nicely and what doesn't and those that don't get put back on the TP so I'm slowly recycling the diapers that I don't like with ones I do. I'm going for a collection that is personal for my DD and since a lot of the stuff I have has her name on it I can't/won't sell it later on.

I guess to sum it up it's a hobby/game to me right now and it too shall pass because as we all know...our babies grow up just too darn fast
and all this will be over in a couple of years when they are PL'd (she's my last baby). And I'll end up storing them in a hope chest right along with all my dusty beanie babies. :LOL

#96 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smullarkey
Could I offer a newbie perspective?
I was so excited to find this community. So much information, so many like-minded people having lively discussions! But I have to admit that this so-called "hyena" behavior is a real turn-off for a new person. There is much said about new folks needing to become part of the community, to invest in the community, before certain priveleges are allowed. I understand that. But the hyena behavior, the -dare I say it- showcasing- of some- seems to go against many MDC member philosophies of living simply, treading lightly, not "overconsuming," etc. It might just be me, but sometimes when I'm here, I feel just like I did in high school. All the pretty popular girls wore the Guess! jeans, Esprit sweaters, and other highpriced trendy clothes. They all sat at the same lunch table and seemed to be having the greatest, most fun time in the world. They were all nice enough, but I never quite new how to talk to them, how to relate. I know, cry me a freaking river! LOL! But do you understand what I mean?
Welcome!

Since you are a newbie you may not have seen the TP yet for yourself. I am not a hyena diapering mama. I go for the cheaper, mass-produced stuff because that's what my budget allows for. The majority of TP diapering products are the kind that are affordable to the average diapering mama. I just bought almost a full collection of pocket diapers from the TP. They sell prefolds, covers, and of course the Hyena diapers.

You will find many threads, if you stick around for awhile (which I hope you will) that are about how people are simplifying and only use prefolds and flats. You will find discussions about laundry detergents, stains, etc.

While I'm not part of the hyena crowd, I can appreciate the enthusiasm for some of these pretty diapers that are hand-made by moms at home. I would rather see someone spend $$$ on a cloth diaper that is earth-friendly and supports a fellow mama, than to go out and spend $$ on the lastest trendy stroller or whatever, and support a big industry.

The practice of buying/selling products may look a little bad, but that's the way the economy works in the real world. Whether it's ethical or not. I have personally bought diapers new and sold them for 2/3 of their new price. They were still in good shape but they were *used*. The market was there, the ebay price was driven up, and I made $ on something that most people outside of the diapering world would shake their heads at.

If you have any concerns about TP practices, please feel free to PM the moderators of that forum, or PM Cynthia Mosher, or administrater. If you think it's question that would be appropriate for public discussion you can start a thread in Questions and Suggestions.

#97 ·
I will probably get flamed for saying this but they are just diapers. I use to care about getting that special hyena diaper but in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if someone bought a diaper just for the thrill and then sold it to someone else for the same price? Or someone managed to score 5 diapers and offered them to someone else. I understand some are very passionate about their diapers, but if you stop and really think about it, it does sound silly. I don't know, guess watching someone lose their baby makes me realize that these are just diapers. I am thankful for what I have.

#98 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smullarkey
...the hyena behavior, the -dare I say it- showcasing- of some- seems to go against many MDC member philosophies of living simply, treading lightly, not "overconsuming," etc.
I feel the same way. A pp said she feels the hyena thing is a harmless indulgence. In the big scheme of things I agree with her. If it makes you happy, go for it. I feel the same way about behaviors like going to the mall every weekend or gambling in Las Vegas.

But, living in the world that we do it is nice to be able to be in the community once in awhile of people who are trying for a different type of a lifestyle. I think you can actually do this on the MDC diaper board. Just ignore the hyena threads.

#99 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I feel the same way. A pp said she feels the hyena thing is a harmless indulgence. In the big scheme of things I agree with her. If it makes you happy, go for it. I feel the same way about behaviors like going to the mall every weekend or gambling in Las Vegas.

But, living in the world that we do it is nice to be able to be in the community once in awhile of people who are trying for a different type of a lifestyle. I think you can actually do this on the MDC diaper board. Just ignore the hyena threads.
Keep in mind that these same hyenas also donate diapers for free to moms, or fairy them anonymously. The diapering community is so very generous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.