Can someone please explain to me what is going on here? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Keep in mind that these same hyenas also donate diapers for free to moms, or fairy them anonymously. The diapering community is so very generous.
That's very true. I know of a mama on this board recently that helped out another mama who needs diapers for her preemie. I recently sent Jenn some money to help her buy a serger so she could make diapers faster for the mama's who really need them. Today I'm sending a package out to a mama who needs my old diapers and I gave them for free even though I could probably have turned around and put them on ebay and made a profit. It makes me feel good to help others and I see it on here every day. MDC really does rock
#122 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM

What's that saying a wise person once said? BE the change you want to see? I know what the OP is talkin' 'bout so for me, I just ignore such stuff and DO what I'd wish I'd see more of: mamas helpin out other mamas in sharing the cd

Oh, and like the term "hyena" is like so two years ago. c'mon.

:LOL : :LOL

(just kidding!! I hope everyone knows I have an offbeat and warped sense of humor)
#123 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Now if I wanted to be in your face type like I see alot of people doing I could hang with the best of them and buy all kinds of that expensive stuff you guys buy however I think alot of it is overpriced and not really every day stuff to me.
Ironically I think most WAHMs underprice their stuff! A diaper is something that you use daily or every other day... it gets washed more than any other clothing item a person owns probably. However we expect it to be cheap and cost less than other clothing item we buy? Why? For the amount of use they are getting and the amount of time it takes for WAHMs to sew them, market them, etc etc cloth diapers should really cost double what typically cost now. If a regular cloth diaper costs $30 (which is much higher than most out there) and you used it for a full year.. every other day that diaper cost you 0.16 cent per use.... pretty cheap if you ask me. Who knows, maybe this should be its own thread, LOL. But i just cant understand why we expect something that gets so much use to be so cheap
#124 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
I don't take it personally if people want to show off their stash of hyena dipes, any more than I take it personally if the person in front of my is driving a Lexus. If they have the $$ to spend, then why not?
:

ITA!!! OK, there is my .02.
#125 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey0402
I didn't want to quote everything since it was kind of long, but I'd like to comment on your post. I think you've got it all wrong. The term hyena was coined over 2 years ago. There have always been very hard to get diapers, and sites that are always sold out. The fact is, the demand is higher than the supply. You've got to get in fast if you want something. I personally don't really feel bad that you keep finding things are sold out. Hope that wasn't harsh, but they are just diapers aren't they? All this money is going to support moms who want to work from home. How can that be a bad thing? I started "collecting" diapers when I was still pregnant with dd, so by the time she was born I had quite the hyena stash, and I didn't get them because I wanted to gain status in this community. I got them because I LOVED them, they made me swoon...lol.

I take pictures of my stash and post them in my sig because I just love seeing all of them. If you wanted to wip out your calculator and start adding up I suppose you could, but why do you care? Why do you feel like I am shoving my STASH in your face? You don't have to click the link. Yes, it is America, and I can spend my (err....dh's) hard earned money however I want to. I have made choices in my life that have put me in a position to spend my money the way I do. Sorry, but I don't care what you think of that. You have no idea what these other mom's financial situations are. I agree that this board is guilty of overconsumerism from time to time, but remind yourself that this money is going to a MOM.

You have your reasons for choosing the system you use, and every other mom here has their reasons too. Don't go assuming you know what motivation behind one mommas wool purchase. You should be aware that many times these super-high-priced wool items were bought at a charity auction. CHARITY. I do not think any of the diapering items for sale out there are overpriced either. If anything these mommas don't charge enough. I cannot imagine waiting until my kiddos were all tucked in bed just to sit at a sewing machine until the wee hours of the morning. Not to mention messing with the PO and emails numbering in the hundreds.

I for one saw your post (at least I think I did) and no I did not reply. Why? Because I don't buy used diapers anywhere but the TP and Ebay. I am completely unaware of any other places, sorry. Maybe some of your veiws were other mommas who had no idea, or maybe they were newbies looking for answers too.

I guess for me the most confusing part of your post is the comment about grade school and competing for nice things. If you don't really care, and they are just something you put on your baby's butt, AND you have found a system that works for you, then what's your issue? I don't usually reply to posts like this, but I'm feeling brave since I just got discharged from the hospital yesterday. Something about having Pneumonia that has spread to your heart makes you stop caring what other people think. Off to take my morning dose of meds......and maybe buy a comfort diaper, if there are any left
Well, said!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#126 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:07 PM

..nevermind... :

#127 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:09 PM

wow, i have not read the whole thread (dont have time) but I'm sooooo happy that I've hung up my hyena hat! Life is much better now .
#128 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM

double post

#129 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisubaby
OH and one other thing thats a perfect example! I posted a question of where it was that i coudl go to get used diapers besides ebay and there was all kinds of views to see what I had wrote yet NO ONE wanted to tell me where it was that I could go probably for fear that they would be inviting someone to a place that they could take something they possibly might want.That my friend is greedy selfishness! I find a sale some place I am telling the world about it so they can save money too.I don't keep it to myself so I can hoard it all.Maybe my values are different but I always try to help people and I don't see that here at all.
I saw that thread too and I didn't respond because I had no information to give. The only used dipes I buy are ebay or here. It wasn't about competition at all. I think you are judging very harshly and like a pp said, projecting your own issues and attitudes onto the people here. It says more about you than about them. Nobody but nobody here thinks you you only diaper with expensive or rare items. There is no "in crowd" just some people have been here longer or know each other better. It takes time to get to know a new community.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#130 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Ironically I think most WAHMs underprice their stuff! A diaper is something that you use daily or every other day... it gets washed more than any other clothing item a person owns probably. However we expect it to be cheap and cost less than other clothing item we buy? Why? For the amount of use they are getting and the amount of time it takes for WAHMs to sew them, market them, etc etc cloth diapers should really cost double what typically cost now. If a regular cloth diaper costs $30 (which is much higher than most out there) and you used it for a full year.. every other day that diaper cost you 0.16 cent per use.... pretty cheap if you ask me. Who knows, maybe this should be its own thread, LOL. But i just cant understand why we expect something that gets so much use to be so cheap
I couldn't agree more Tiffany. We don't deserve to have to work for free. Proctor and Gamble wouldn't do it. And you can't even compare a WAHM product to proctor and gamble. There's no quality in a sposie, unlike the love and dedication that goes into a wahm made diapering item.

Katina, Mom to Nathan 12/6/00 and Zachary 8/10/03
Rachel born still 9-19-09
#131 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:11 PM

I just have to quickly comment again, I think this thready is moving far away from what I was talking about. There are accusations all over the place that everyone is greedy and hoarding and throwing things in mamas face and etc etc. I don't think this is true and I think the majority of people here are very friendly and helpful. Being new myself I can honestly say I don't think people are greedy. My comment was I *hope* this place doesn't turn into that. I don't for a minute believe that mamas here are spiteful and selfish.

And about diapers, I probably spend more than I need to on them, and I usually don't score hyena items but there have been the occassion. I can afford it, but I'm just really not into the hype. I see no problems however, sitting by a computer all day hitting refresh if that is your fancy. I personally don't always have the time, but I do on occassion. I also don't think stash pictures are an "in your face" type of thing. I love looking at them, and if I ever get around to it, I'll do the same probably. I don't care how much people spend on diapers, my only negative comment was if people were trying to make a profit on the TP. I doubt that is the majority.

I could go on and on but I'll just say one last thing. In a world of pampers and huggies, cloth diapering can seem sometimes to be a lot of work compared to those who just buy the paper ones and toss them into a landfill. For me, it's a way to make it enjoyable and not seem like work. And I LOVE pampering my son and clothing his bum with beautiful cloth and wool They grow up so fast and I know I won't be able to enjoy this time forever, but for now... I will buy diapers :LOL
#132 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunch
I was inquiring as to why people are buying diapers if they don't need or want them. Sure, the explanation that they are stalking for the fun of it to offer them to their "friends" on the TP seems like a decent explanation. However, there are factors that seem to be coming to light here that does indeed make me feel that this practice is not only what I once deemed annoying, but now simply not fair. It is true that newbies cannot see the TP, therefore being denied the chance to buy a diaper that a seasoned "hyena" was able to score due to manicured hyenacart or the like skills. Also, there are those Mamas who work and can maybe make 5 minutes to try to buy a diaper at a scheduled stocking but certainly cannot troll the TP all day looking for the leftovers.

I don't know, it's just not working for me anymore.
Although if i hadn't bought that gorgeous Luxe months ago that i was hoping would fit us but didn't( and it wasn't anything i needed at the time,i was just in lust) then you wouldn't have it right now.You got it for what i paid even though i could've ebayed it for way more.

And as the stay at home wife/mother of a self employed husband some months we have lots of extra money and some months(namely the winter)we are in major debt and i sell things to cover bills.It hurts to sell some great things but it is worse to have your electric shut off.And yes i wish i was better at saving but having a new baby to diaper is so addictive.I also have a dd with Cerebral Palsy and sometimes we get hit with major medical bills depending on what is going on.Why question these things when there is always a deeper story?I guess i shouldn't feel the need to justify my actions but i feel personally attacked.I bought extra things yesterday,offered them on the Diapering forum.Was even asked by a few people on this thread for some of my things.Sold them for what i paid and did not Ebay them but yet this thread gets started.I guess i no longer feel a part of this community that i have been a member of for 5 years now.I have been through alot with this board and have stuck through a lot of controversies and people leaving.I guess i will go back to my silent status because it is so much easier that way.
#133 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla

and most 'sposies cost $0.20 per diaper, so a mama with an all hyena stash is still saving money over buying 'sposies
#134 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:23 PM

I have what works for us but thats because its the only thing I have tried so I don't know if anything else works but I would like to try others and find out.I have no way of trying things if I either don't ask first or don't buy them.WEll its hard to buy stuff thats out of stock! Yes I read the few posts about the stores getting restocked but its impossible to get 1 of anything to try when they are gone like hot cakes.Reading through the posts I am seeing that alot of other people notice how things aer done here and they aren't happy with it ie: buying a ton only to resell it or hoard it.Not like I am the only person making this kind of statement regarding unfair things.Now mind you I haven't gotten to the TP yet so I respond from what I have seen.I don't take it in my face to me personally just because I could care less abput what anyone has.Like if someone had all KMart diapers and someone had the Cadillac of diapers I would treat them both the same.Its material things, the persons personality is what matters.I have found alot of helpful resourses on this site I will admit.Its just the bubbly friendly site like the others I go to.Ofcourse the others I go to aren't cloth diapering but still I would think we all would be the same to one another regardless of indifferences.Its not like I am hard to get along with I love everyone! Its just not the same atmosphere here as I am used to at other sites when I am new. As for being harsh I just speak my mind.I wasn't trying to be rude or anything just trying to state how I feel.Sorry if I came across that way.
#135 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmoon
Although if i hadn't bought that gorgeous Luxe months ago that i was hoping would fit us but didn't( and it wasn't anything i needed at the time,i was just in lust) then you wouldn't have it right now.You got it for what i paid even though i could've ebayed it for way more.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I was talking about. I, too have bought diapers that do not work and have sold them on the TP. I said it twice, and I will say it again, I am talking about buying for buying purposes, and then....Oh, you know what, forget it. I am of the opinion that I stated my point very clearly.
#136 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:34 PM

I think this is the nastiest thread I've ever seen in this forum. This is not the place I fell in love with. I'm not sure I like it here any more.
#137 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
It's official...I am no longer a hyena.I can sit and read this thread and not give a care either way.I have no opinion

Okay now back to my :
:LOL

Reading all of this makes me want to avoid stalking FM. I mean why should I bother when others are going to snatch up 4, 5, or 6 dipes just because they can.

I'm a newbie and can't participate on the TP so I'm pretty much out of the running.

: my non-hyena diaper stash.
#138 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboys4me
I always wonder what people on the "outside" would think of people being adddicted to diapers! Wouldn't that make a great Dr. Phil! :LOL
DH and I were talking with a friend one day when he mentioned that my diaper spending had gotten out of control. Our friend looked at us like we had just sprouted additional heads and said, "Diaper spending? You mean she buys too many cases of diapers?" :eyeroll We had to try to explain it...tho he still didn't *get it*. :LOL
#139 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:52 PM

There is one thing to state your opinion and another to say it in a nasty and unfriendly way. There is a way to be direct with someone without sounding rude and childish. Lets all have some class here huh? I cannot believe how many things I just read pointing at a specific person!!

And I am more than certain such WAHMs would not want their products to be discussed in sucha manner as this!
#140 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 02:53 PM

I, like Jenisee, just think some of the people have been posting pretty nasty comments and I feel attacked and sad.
#141 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:08 PM

I wasn't trying to be rude and typing a message is hard to make a tone.Things can be misconstrued easily in typing because you can't hear the person saying it or see their body language.I am not all hot and hostile just simply stating how I feel.Its all good anyone can buy whatever they want its true.Its how you treat others that can leave a bad taste in your mouth.Speaking in general not at any one person.
#142 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Alot of things can be really misconstrued if i have not had my morning coffee :LOL
#143 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Oh I forgot to address a comment that was made to me.someone said they are glad I see sold out at sites.If thats not greed then what is? I am not looking to buy a ton of diapers from one site all once I simply want to try one of everything till I find some cute printed ones that work for us in addition to my plain Wonderoos.I think the prints are adorable but Wonderoos only made a few printed ones in boy colors and they are no longer made or sold.With the exception of ebay every blue moon.I didn't come to this site thinking I am going to snatch stuff from people who buy from places on a regular basis.I came here to learn more about CDing and to get info on different types of diapers etc etc.Along with making friends that believe in the same things as i do such as AP,BF,EN and baby wearing etc etc.Its not common where I live to do what we do and others think we are crazy for what we do.So I came to mingle with people that are the same as we are not to fight and cause anyone to feel bad.
#144 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Oh I forgot to address a comment that was made to me.someone said they are glad I see sold out at sites.If thats not greed then what is?
Ok, I'm not the one that made that comment. I too have to say I'm glad to see that too. Here's why. It's because it means those WAHMs are selling their stuff and are able to continue to stay home with their children. I could care less if it's one person buying all of them or every customer buying 1 each. It's the support of WAHM. Greed really has nothing to do with it. How is wanting WAHMs to succeed greedy? Am I missing something here?
#145 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:22 PM

I am back with an opinion..I knew something was off last night when I had nothing to say :LOL

These threads never go anywhere.Everyone has their opinion and no one is going to change how they think.When everyone feels their opinion is right then it is just this long drawn out back and forth petty fighting. It's not even entertaining to watch the drama anymore.It's just sad in a pathetic sort of way. I am not saying I am above it.I get irritated that I can not get anything good off the TP anymore because I don't have the latest hot diaper to trade for it.There is nothing that can be done so I just get over it.More and more I just stay away from here and the TP.Hyena stuff used to be fun but it has gotten out of hand and not something I want to be a part of even if I could afford too.
#146 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:26 PM

I agree, it's great that some WAHMs have demand for their product. They are successful at what they are trying to do and that's super. There are soooooooooooo many great WAHMs with awesome stock sitting in their stores, though, so whenever I hear the 'everything's sold out' complaint I kind of roll my eyes. Only the things that are the hottest fad in this very moment are all sold out, so maybe just accept that and move onto wonderful, similar items that are available?
#147 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:33 PM

It has NOTHING to do with not wanting WAHMs to not succeed! I support WAHMs and what they do.I don't work however I am home with my kids 24-7 and I must say that in itself is a fulltime job! I can't imagine working with the kids underfoot! I give them credit for being able to do that! My point is because someone is glad I can't get any diapers.Thats being greedy of them to be happy they are all sold out so i can't get one to try! Thats what I was saying.Its funny how things are getting misconstrued into being other things. Why would anyone want someone to NOT succeed? thats just crazy talk!
#148 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
My point is ...someone is glad I can't get any diapers.Thats being greedy of them to be happy they are all sold out so i can't get one to try! Thats what I was saying.
Um, you sound a bit paranoid. You really think someone on this board is hoping you can't buy any diapers just for the sheer mean-spiritedness of it? (that wouldn't be greed, by the way, just mean-spirited.) I doubt anyone on this board has invested that much emotional energy into your diaper buying experiences and you as a person that they would hope you can't get any diapers you want to try.

Really, we're not all out to get you. :LOL We all just score what we can if it's super popular right this minute and buy lots of stuff that's easy to get, and share the fluffy love via pictures online and talking about it. It's supposed to be fun. Try to lose the sour grapes and paranoia about the stuff you wish you could buy.
#149 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM

I think you're possibly taking it too personally. It's not like someone's sitting there thinking , "Ha, ha, if I buy this, Meisubaby can't." I personally have never scored anything at a stocking. That's life.

cross-posted with Butterflymom
#150 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It has NOTHING to do with not wanting WAHMs to not succeed! I support WAHMs and what they do.I don't work however I am home with my kids 24-7 and I must say that in itself is a fulltime job! I can't imagine working with the kids underfoot! I give them credit for being able to do that! My point is because someone is glad I can't get any diapers.Thats being greedy of them to be happy they are all sold out so i can't get one to try! Thats what I was saying.Its funny how things are getting misconstrued into being other things. Why would anyone want someone to NOT succeed? thats just crazy talk!
She said that she was happy the wahm was sold out cause that meant she was doing well. It had nothing to with you getting one or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page