Can someone please explain to me what is going on here? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, after getting a bit worked up earlier, I took DD for a wagon ride (her third today) to cool down. I stopped at the tea room across the street, got some ice cream, and thought about this.

I have had people IRL make snide comments about the size of our house or how I am a SAHM. However, what these people choose not to see says more about them than what they choose to see. They choose to not see the 16 year old car we drive, the closet of garage-saled clothes, and the rooms of hand-me-down furniture. They are making judgements about us based on a tiny snapshot of our life, judgements that are completely off-base.

I see that happening here. I see women, kind women, being attacked for something they buy. Something they buy! How can we possibly begin to know what kind of people they are from this? Have we stopped to consider what we're choosing not to see? I know people make judgements about the FCBs in my stash, but choose to not see the $5 recycled wool longies that usually cover them. And even if my FCBs were covered with MMs, how could you possibly know about our car, clothes, or furniture if I hadn't just told you? You wouldn't. So why don't we just stop attacking people and stop assuming things about them based on this tiny snapshot of their lives?

Ok, I think I need another wagon ride now. :LOL
#152 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I agree, it's great that some WAHMs have demand for their product. They are successful at what they are trying to do and that's super. There are soooooooooooo many great WAHMs with awesome stock sitting in their stores, though, so whenever I hear the 'everything's sold out' complaint I kind of roll my eyes. Only the things that are the hottest fad in this very moment are all sold out, so maybe just accept that and move onto wonderful, similar items that are available?
Who has wool soakers besides BJ Marketplace in stock?
#153 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady
Agreeing with the majority. It's a complete turn-off. And not only is it really NOT classy to hoard hyena diapers and sell for a profit, but what's with all these women who stockpile TONS and TONS of these so-called "hyena" diapers only to show them off on picture threads? These are the moms who have 4 or 5 weeks worth of diapers at their disposal when some of us struggle to get 2 days worth of diapers. I understand some of us are in better financial situations but why stalk the TP looking for great deals, while snatching them away from people who really need them? Seems a bit much, doesn't it? Like taking a lollipop from a child. And TRADING hyena things for other hyena things. These moms won't even accept paypal for those willing to put themselves into hock to TRY one of these diapers or wool. IMHO, "hyenas" have become some bizarre cult. I too am addicted to LOOKING at diapers and love to pet my fluff but for once I'm with my hubby when I say, "they POOP in these things, relax!" Thank goodness I'm okay with prefolds and trying to learn to knit so I can afford wool over my girl's bottom. I'm lucky in that I now have 2wool covers because a mom on here was kind enough to help me out, otherwise we'd be stuck with one that we pray doesn't get dirty.

Meg
AMEN SISTAH!!!!
#154 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:04 PM

*whew!* I am so glad FB's aren't hyena! :LOL
#155 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleandboo
I agree that it is pretty innocent (although it has the potential to get ugly and I have seen that happen here). I see nothing wrong with having more diapers than you need - I certainly do no matter how hard I try to simplify. :LOL But like Meg said, when mamas spend money they don't have just for the thrill of shopping or showing off what they have, that is sad. I've seen people complain about being broke, then turn around and beg for very expensive diapers that they HAVE to have. :

ETA: I'm not referring to those who have the occasional hard time financially (unexpected illness, house/car repairs, etc), but those who seem to have a chronic problem with it.
I agree Angelica and Kellie. There are people that are healthy about it but some do and are out of control. It's one thing to do it and realize it, then stop (which most of us have) but it's another to continue in the game.
#156 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
Keep in mind that these same hyenas also donate diapers for free to moms, or fairy them anonymously. The diapering community is so very generous.
That is wonderful! But, I have only seen it done within the "hyenas" and to "friends"
#157 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaB
That is wonderful! But, I have only seen it done within the "hyenas" and to "friends"
Oh, that's not true! You fairied a gorgeous wool soaker to me forever ago and I have never, ever forgotten your kindness. : In fact, I just passed that soaker along to another mama in need. Even my husband still talks about how shocked we were when you did that - and it was a year ago!!
#158 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
When I had been here for maybe two weeks I had the most pitiful stash. 2 dozen infant pfs and 3 ratty covers. My daughter wet constantly so I was washing once a day. Jesse (luxe mama) and todzwife gave me enough doublers and fitteds to cd at night and to get through the days wash without using a sposie. They didn't know me from Adam! I was hardly a hyena or even a friend at the time.

Roll your eyes if you want, but much kindness is given around this board. Just becuase its not screamed from the roof tops doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I could recount at least 5 similar stories, but I think it takes away from the beauty of giving.
#159 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe you don't see it, but it happens.
#160 of 160 Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM

I'm locking this to review some of the posts. I think this has gone on long enough. Now let's all go surround ourselves with some soft fluff.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page