Can someone please explain to me what is going on here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the story with buying diapers at stockings with abandon that you don't want and then selling them on the TP? What is the point? I understand if you are buying something in particular for someone else, but why just buy random things you don't want? I have been around here a while and this seems to be a relatively new phenomenon. It seems pointless. Unless of course it's a popularity contest.
#2 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 PM

:
#3 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Wow, talk about classy eh? LOL I don't know why people would do that, seems kind of cheap ya know?
#4 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Oh I wish I had that ability. Except of course they wouldn't be unwanted by me, and I wouldn't sell them...
#5 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:33 PM

It probably has more to do with the "Stalk for Me" threads.

Not in my case, though. I wasn't home and my 15 year old daughter thought that I needed some more wool. And she didn't know what size her brother was. So, it was restocked.
#6 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:47 PM

I certainly don't understand it. I don't like the idea, personally, but can't do anything about it. I do agree that the 'stalk for me' bit does get some in trouble (i.e. they try to help another out, but the other person ends up getting a better dipe from another stalker, so the original purchaser is left with a diaper they don't necessarily want or need ..... yeah, hope you could follow that).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#7 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:50 PM

I was thinking just that over on the TP today. So many people trying to get rid of FCBs and stuff that was scored at the stocking today. Weird.

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#8 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 PM

I agree its a bit weird :LOL to buy with the intent to not want.. I have had it happen where via a cart glitch I got invoiced for multiple items :LOL its happened twice! once I kept them all and another time I shared with other mamas who had been trying at that particular stocking who had not been succesful I think my main worry would be what would happen if you bought all that stuff and no one wanted it!
#9 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM

I don't think getting stuck with FCBs would necessarily be a bad thing :LOL

Yeah but I do know what you mean and the crappy part is that the mama's that really wanted them couldn't get anywhere near them ya know?
#10 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I get you. It seems gluttonous to me... Just say no to diapers you don't really want. You certainly don't NEED them and there are some people who actually do want them.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#11 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 PM

Well, I don't think there's much chance that a new FM won't be wanted by *someone*, but buying up all the FMs and putting them on the TP basically amounts to newbie discrimination, since they don't have access to the TP.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#12 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Yeah, I get you. It seems gluttonous to me... Just say no to diapers you don't really want. You certainly don't NEED them and there are some people who actually do want them.
Yeah, like me!!! . I'm pretty new, but it seems most recently people have been talking about the TP on this board a lot. I think it's a nice place to share your fluff, not an auction house KWIM? I certainly hope it doesn'y become that because that is why I left another board, all the woman were selfish and brutal!!
#13 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:06 PM

Oh, I don't doubt they will be wanted but I just wonder why do people throw so much in their cart to begin with? Why not just buy what you were after and move on?

#14 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:08 PM

You mean there are people selling FM on the TP to the *highest bidder*??

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#15 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:11 PM

I don't think that this only relates to Fluffymail diapers. The same thing happened at SOS last week. And it will probably happen tomorrow. I think that it happens a lot with Kiwi Pie, too.

Plus, there has been a trend of buying hyena items as trading leverage for other hyena items. Now that one is something that I don't understand.
#16 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
You mean there are people selling FM on the TP to the *highest bidder*??
I didn't think about this, but I wouldn't doubt it. That and the whole "I have this or that, PM me if you want it and you have something I may want, but I'm not going to tell you what exactly it is that I want, so I can see how many of you will beg me for it and then I will decide if you all have anything good enough for me". I am so not jiving lately with what is going on. Just buy the diaper or diapers you want and move along. And if you want to trade something, stop hanging carrots out there. It used to be different. IMO, greed is rearing its very ugly head.
#17 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 PM

I don't think it's gone quite that far...well I'm not sure. And I hope it's not newbie discrimination because that's not very nice either lol!!
#18 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom
Plus, there has been a trend of buying hyena items as trading leverage for other hyena items. Now that one is something that I don't understand.
Well, I know that sometimes the only way to get a hyena item is to trade another hyena item for it, so that actually makes sense. And I understand helping a friend stalk, too. But just buying up hyena items and selling them on the TP? I don't see what that accomplishes other than preventing newbies from being able to buy them.

ETA: Cross posted with you, jmunch. I do think that if people want to trade hyena items, they should post their ISO.

#19 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 PM

Oh, I'm pretty sure it has gone that far. I have seen people offer finders fees and I know there is wheeling and dealing VIA PMs.

Plus, watch eBay... some of what was scored will show up there, it always does.

#20 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunch
I didn't think about this, but I wouldn't doubt it. That and the whole "I have this or that, PM me if you want it and you have something I may want, but I'm not going to tell you what exactly it is that I want, so I can see how many of you will beg me for it and then I will decide if you all have anything good enough for me". I am so not jiving lately with what is going on. Just buy the diaper or diapers you want and move along. And if you want to trade something, stop hanging carrots out there. It used to be different. IMO, greed is rearing its very ugly head.
ITA!! and over diapers?!?!
#21 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:18 PM

first, kim that is so cute that your dd stalked for you!!

I see what kim and meg described happen with not just fm, but sos, etc - i'm frankly pretty turned off trying for hyena dipes from all of it. from a human nature standpoint it is interesting to observe though.
#22 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:20 PM

:

: I love drama
#23 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 PM

ITA!
Bad taste IMO. Part of the fun of diaper shopping is the rushing through checkout, fingers flailing, pulse racing muttering, speaking in touges.....
Once you loose that.....not so much fun :LOL
I used to love stalking sites, now that I am mostly prefolds life is easier and I do not *worry* about this and that.
But buying a diaper you do not need is what I think to be an issue of self control in most cases!

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#24 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 PM

Offering a finder's fee for a diaper you really want is one thing. Requesting a finder's fee on the TP is quite another.

I don't have a problem with people putting them on Ebay, just as long as they don't use the TP as an auction block. That's not what the TP is supposed to be used for. It's not fair.

#25 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:27 PM

I'm probably being selfish here...but I'm grateful in a way to some of the people who have done this. I don't know the reasoning but I have been able to get a few things that I was interested in trying this way. :
(I know, I know... )
ETA: didn't mean to follow the finder's fee post...I just mean I've found new items on tp from recent stockings...
#26 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:28 PM

um I thing most people said what I was thinking except this -
it's just sort of weird!
I mean, why bother unless you are getting something specific for someone specific?
weird.
Does a full pm box make people feel loved...?
#27 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Well, I don't think there's much chance that a new FM won't be wanted by *someone*, but buying up all the FMs and putting them on the TP basically amounts to newbie discrimination, since they don't have access to the TP.

Thats a pretty good point! never looked at it that way..I have also noticed the purchasing of Hyena goods as trade leverage as well not sure how I feel about that one...
#28 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmuma
Thats a pretty good point! never looked at it that way..I have also noticed the purchasing of Hyena goods as trade leverage as well not sure how I feel about that one...
Totally OT...Marsupialmuma...I love the name you've chosen.
#29 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:34 PM

I hope no one is doing this as a power trip, because that would leave a really bad taste in my mouth.

#30 of 160 Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
:

: I love drama

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page