PSA - WAHM sites/pictures/auctions - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDiaperinMama
Sort of. You and your popcorn are too late. :LOL I think it was locked and maybe deleted?
Why didn't someone come and get me ? Don't you all know I have no life and live for this stuff!! :
#62 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Why didn't someone come and get me ? Don't you all know I have no life and live for this stuff!! :
:

*note to self-holler at Jamie next time there's drama*

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#63 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 AM

: I've missed you Jamie. The drama isn't the same without you. :LOL
#64 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Okay I read the thread. It really made my night I was feeling sad because I only have a week left in my house but nothing like diaper drama to get my mind back to where it belongs..the MDC diapering board
#65 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:40 AM

Glad we could make your night. :

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#66 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

It doesnt matter if it doesnt "harm" anyone. Pictures/graphics/text published on websites are owned and copyrighted by the owner of the website. Therefore its illegal to just take and use them without permission If I spent 30 minutes to an hour photographing a product, editing out the background (which is a PITA) and listing it in my store.... then someone came along took the picture (without asking) so they could possibly sell their item for profit on ebay I would feel a bit taken advantage of. Its not ok for them to steal my property and then possibly make a profit on it... hope this isnt snarky either.. just trying to clarify

ETA : this isnt about anyone in particular or finger pointing. I see it happen a lot and just thought it was possibly because many were not aware that graphics/text/pictures were covered by copyright law as soon as they are published

=
#67 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 AM

not snarky at all.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#68 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I still don't get the problem.
With all due respect, it doesn't matter if you "get" it or not. It is illegal (and many people think it's immoral as well) to steal and/or misuse someone else's intellectual property.

Most people in my area, including me, think that the 25mph speed limit on a certain (straight, rarely used, non-residential) road is way too low and don't see the harm in going faster. If I got caught I'd get a ticket. It's illegal, no matter how I feel about it.

Stealing intellectual property is also illegal, no matter how you feel about it.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#69 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Well, I am pretty sure I have never used a wahm's picture and as I said I never will. I was just trying to understand the *why* behind the whole issue. I totally get it now in terms of somebody buying something and reselling it to make money off the wahm (rather than just reselling when they are done). Anyway, I was just trying to understand *why* it bothered wahms and what the drama was that started this.

I appreciate all the responses from people who were actually trying to help me understand the issue. Maybe I'm just spending too much time around my 3 year old who always wants to know "why?"

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#70 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Ok, I'm going to put a whole new spin on this... and hope I don't get beat up :LOL

I *do* put alot of time in pictures as most WAHMs. I also appreciate all of the points raised by all the WAHMs on this thread BUT I would sometimes rather someone use a picture off my site to resell my product than use their own (provided the product was still in good condition). I have seen some of my poor products pictured for resale and cringed. It wasn't the quality of the product but the quality of the picture (well, at least I hope so :LOL). Meaning, for instance, that the colors were totally off and the picture(s) ended grossly representing my product.

Am I totally off the mark here?

Nada :
#71 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think the *why* is not so much that a WAHM will be bothered by you showing off a picture -- it's more that intellectual property rights are slowly being eroded because it's so easy to steal (download, right-click, burn a CD, etc.) and everybody does it and it doesn't seem like such a big deal but it is.

Oops, how did I get on this soapbox? Sorry!

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#72 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nada- I dont think you are off the mark I am sure there are lots of mamas who agree with you! And if that is the case than by the seller simply asking you if they can use the picture, it wouldnt be a problem, kwim? I'm not against people using WAHM pictures at all.... I'm just pleading that people ask the WAHM before doing it
#73 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Nada- I dont think you are off the mark I am sure there are lots of mamas who agree with you! And if that is the case than by the seller simply asking you if they can use the picture, it wouldnt be a problem, kwim? I'm not against people using WAHM pictures at all.... I'm just pleading that people ask the WAHM before doing it
Yup! TOTALLY makes sense.
#74 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 12:47 PM

I totally get and agree with the copyright thing. What I don't understand is why Ebay would pull one auction and leave others with the same picture's? Isn't it the same thing?:
#75 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM

here's a little thought to add to this...
I am a wahm and it does bother me to see some of the pics from my site used in ebay auctions...here's why.

I had a custom made pic of a wonderoos showing all the details and features made for me by my awesome webdesigner ( Jess from Very Designs)

I paid for this picture to be created. So Jess worked very hard on creating it specifically for my website and I worked very hard to pay for the picture. I see this pic on ebay in lots of auctions for wonderoos and not once was permission asked. On the website it clearly states that all pics are copyrighted.

I don't mind granting permission but in this instance, it is a lot like anything a car, a sweter, a pair of sunglasses, when someone borrows something you paid for, they shoudl ask first.

That is my take on it, especially when it pertains to professional images that the wahm herself had to buy for the site.

Jess
#76 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 01:25 PM

Interestingly enough, two new auctions for FM fitteds just popped up on ebay. . .both with the Fluffymail pics in the listing. Hmmmm. . . .
#77 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 02:13 PM

I've stayed out of this so far b/c I'm not a WAHM and don't have a *personal* stake in it, but there is something that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up. For a businessperson, time IS money. It's not fair for one businessperson to have to spend hours, or pay someone to spend their hours, making pictures--hours that could be spent working on their business or money that could be invested in their business--only to have another businessperson come along and spend no time and no money on those same pictures. It gives the person who is "stealing" the pictures an unfair advantage.

ETA: And we can't say that b/c it's ebay or the TP, that it doesn't hurt the WAHM, b/c businesses DO compete w/ the secondary markets. After all, were it not for a secondary market, there would be a greater demand for the primary market. In fact, this is part of why some industries created the concept of planned obsolescence, to squash the demand for the secondary market.
#78 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerbaby
I totally get and agree with the copyright thing. What I don't understand is why Ebay would pull one auction and leave others with the same picture's? Isn't it the same thing?:
Ebay doesn't go checking but if the auction is reported then they will cancel it...
#79 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerbaby
I've seen this too, Ruth. I guess you have to report it like Susan said. Just last night I was looking at maternity clothes and a seller took the page right from the catalog (she even said so in her auction!) and put it in her listing. I mean seriously, you can get in big trouble for it. Especially w/these bigger companies.

mom2orion-I saw the newest Fluffymail auctions too and figured that mama probably hasn't read this thread yet. :LOL

#80 of 80 Old 05-11-2005, 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=

mom2orion-I saw the newest Fluffymail auctions too and figured that mama probably hasn't read this thread yet. :LOL[/QUOTE]

They better read the thread cause Fluffymail will not let you use their pictures!!!!! This I found out. Unless they got permission...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page