Mothering Forum banner

dish detergent instead of laundry detergent for washing CDs anyone?

566 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  pudgybudgie 
#1 ·
I'm constantly playing around with my washing routine, b/c I have a FL and soft water and it's been frustrating finding something that works for CD laundering. Anyway, to my surprise, I started using a squirt of joy dish detergent instead of laundry detergent, and then I use 1/2 tsp of sportswash on the 2nd cycle and it is working out really well. I've been doing this for a wk and been pleasantly surprised with the results. Does anyone else do this? No more funky smelling dipes and they smell truly clean. I also wanted to make sure that this won't ruin my dipes or anything, I have mostly FBs, microfiber inserts and wipes in my stash

#2 ·
I've done this for a while, but not for every wash. It is good for getting a lot of the body soil and oil out of the diapers that we don't realize builds up. I also use dishsoap on my towels and sheets, and have really liked the results I have gotten, they smell better and are cleaner!
IMO the dish soap rinses out better than laundry detergent, however it contains phosphates, where as many laundry detergents don't, that's why I don't use it every time, just every 4-5 wash cycles.
Donna

#4 ·
I've been using Dawn dishwashing liquid (two squirts) for months now, I think it works as well as laundry detergent. It rinses out of diapers so much better in my hard water. My stash is pretty mixed with fitteds, prefolds, FBs and JBs, AIOs, they all seem fine.

Quote:
however it contains phosphates, where as many laundry detergents don't, that's why I don't use it every time, just every 4-5 wash cycles.
I checked my bottles of Dawn Ultra and Joy, the labels say "No phosphates". My understanding is that most automatic dishwashing detergents contain phosphates, but hand dishwashing liquids do not. Still, something to be aware of I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.