are you stink-free? if yes - what's your wash routine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Never had a stink issue, and that's with two different washers.

I dry pail, occasionally add some drops of tea tree oil to the pail for pail-stink. Then diapers and diaper bag go in the washer with 1/4 scoop of 7th Generation powder (LOVE this detergent) and 1 scoop of OxyClean. I run a hot wash/cold rinse cycle for the max time. Every 4th or 5th wash I run an extra rinse cycle.

Then my FBs & covers hang on the line, my liners & prefolds & bag go in the dryer for about 25 min then go on the line.

Best recourse for stinkies? Try line drying or "Irish bleaching" - lay them out on the grass on a super sunny day. Sun is a very effective stink-er-out-er.
#32 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:52 PM

we are stink free now that we have a top loader, my wash routine is,

cold rinse
hot wash w/a tsp of allens naturally, and a squirt of dawn
cold rinse

every now and then i'll give them an extra hot wash, or instead of the first cold rinse, i'll do a cold wash.

when we had a frontloader though, we were always battling stink and crunchy dipes
#33 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

Very boring wash routiene. I add detergent (All Free or Bi-o-Kleen) and an extra rinse. Then I dry them. I do use some lavendar dryer bags from Trader Joes, it's just lavendar in a tea bag type thing. I only once had a smell issue (I went out of town and did laundry there, I think the water was funky)...and I got rid of it by putting 1/2 cup baking soda in the wash and 1/2 cup white vinigar in the rinse. Worked like a charm!
#34 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Cold prewash with 1/3 cup detergent (Purex or Costco brand)
HOT wash/warm rinse, no detergent - add 1 cup vinegar to Hot cycle

I've been doing this for about a week and slowly it is getting rid of the stink - it's the vinegar that is doing it for me.
#35 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:52 PM

Except for when she's poopy! :LOL No really I have had a lot of really good success with Sport wash! Anytime I don't use sport wash I get a stink. So my combo is

cold rinse
Hot wash
cold rinse
cold rinse.
#36 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom2e
Best recourse for stinkies? Try line drying or "Irish bleaching" - lay them out on the grass on a super sunny day. Sun is a very effective stink-er-out-er.
"Irish beaching"... :LOL
#37 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 12:02 AM

:

i'm noticing some smell.... : :

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#38 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Banned

I forgot to mention earlier that I have a front loading washer and hard water. But I never have stink problems (excpet once, when I washed out of town). I don't add anything extra to the wash, I just use a 1/4 cap ful of All Free or a squirt of BioKleen. When I did have stink once, the baking soda and vinigar did the trick.
#39 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 02:12 AM

Our Hemp SOS were getting a lil funky as well as some other diapers.. and I truly think its from soap buildup. We washed them 4 or 5 times without soap just to strip them. Never had a problem again. I did change our wash routine. Top Loading HE washer and dryer

Cold Wash(soap) with cold soak, extra rinse
Wash hot(no soap), express cycle (23 mins), extra cold rinse and extra spin.
Dry in dryer. We do take them out and hang outside when we can.

I think line drying helps get rid of the funk, as well as laying on bushes and grass. Where we are now, I cant do that, but its the best for bleaching whites natrually.
#40 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

so many things to try!

i find it interesting that some mamas put the detergent in during the initial cold prewash and others put it in during the hot wash.
#41 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

We have a front loader, and I think our water is on the hard side.

I use Sport Wash and the prewash, sanitary wash cycle, and second rinse. I added a vinegar rinse when the dipes were getting stiff.

But, I'm almost out of Sport Wash, and my Walmart is not carrying it. I hope I don't have to start a multi-step wash process.
#42 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM

I honestly think two things contribute to us being 'stink-free'.. :LOL

1. I seperate the shells of the diapers that do not have an internal soaker from the fitteds and diapers that are holding a lot of pee. I know it creates another pail.. but I really think that's helped.

2. Also, the mini shower!! Rinsing them nearly completely, I think, has made a huge difference. So if you can get the funds, and dont already have one, I would *highly* recommend one. It's worth every penny, IMHO

Otherwise here's our routine..
* rinse w/detergent
* rinse w/o detergent
* hot wash w/detergent
* extra rinse when I feel needed and am not too lazy

We use 1/4-1/2 an inch (of the clear cup it comes with) of All Free or Cheer Free. No build up problems yet
#43 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 05:58 PM

Top loader here. My wash routine is about as simple as it gets. I do a cold prewash and then a long hot wash/cold rinse with a TBS of Cheer. Then into the dryer or onto the line they go. About once a month I add a splash of Downey Advance to the rinse cycle to soften the dipes a bit.

We've never had stink issues. And I don't even rinse or dunk poopie dipes, I just flush what rolls off the dipe and toss in the wetbag as is. Thats what the prewash is for, to rinse poop off before the main wash. We use microfleece liners so no stains either!
#44 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 06:05 PM

Top loading machine, hard water and no stink issues.

I put all wet diapers in the pail.

I put all poopy diapers in the laundry sink, rinsed and soaking in cold water with a some Tide Free liquid.

Every 1 to 2 days (or 20-30 diapers), I put the poopies on a cold rinse, then add the wets and a bit of detergent and do a large WARM soak. Turn to a LONG HOT wash w/ cold rinse. If I have the time, I'll run a second short hot wash / cold rinse cycle.

Toss into the dryer on low or medium and that's it.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#45 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 06:25 PM

I used to be stink free, but lately a few of the dipes I got more recently off the tp are kinda skunky smelling. Some are smelly and some aren't.

So thanks for starting this thread - this is very timely for me! Going to get some bac out and sport wash to try...
#46 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 06:33 PM

A little leery of saying stink-free!

I have supersoft water and an ancient toploader. I do a prerinse with a handful of borax for the toddler's overnighters, then throw in the rest. I like to wash up the poopy ones pretty thoroughly before they go in the pail so they are not bad. Recently I use a lower water level for the washing, then high for the rinsing. Then I do an extra warm rinse. All this by twiddling the knob!!

In the past when a little stink was starting, I washed everything with extra detergent, and then rinsed like mad. Also hung them outdoors in the hot sun.

Someone posted about how to microwave out stinks - I liked the sound of that - but haven't needed to try it yet.

Good luck!!
#47 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 06:39 PM

I don't think I'll be much help.

I never had stink with dd. I did one hot wash with a little detergent and put them in the dryer. Nothing special.

Occasionally added a bit of Downy Advanced and sometimes used Diaper Buddies.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#48 of 58 Old 05-31-2005, 06:48 PM

We have a front load washer too. And I use a tiny, tiny amoutn of Tide HE detergent.

My routine is:
1. Soak cycle with cold/cold
2. Normal cycle with hot/cold with extra rinse

Toss into dryer or hang outside depending on the weather. And that's it. About every 2 weeks, I do a load on the "sanitizing" cycle which heats water to a super hot temp just to get them good and clean.

Amy
#49 of 58 Old 06-02-2005, 02:20 AM

We are FINALLY stink free (of course I have given up all hemp too, don't know if I have the bravery to try hemp again), this is after I was ready to go out and buy a top loader.

Here is what I do (my stash is now FBs and microfiber inserts)...

-Most poops will plop off into the toilet, if it's a gross sticky poop, we minishower it, and then wring out and stick in the dry pail
-I also sprinkle BS in the diaper pail a few times a day and wash every other day, but thinking about maybe going to every 3rd day, since I have a good stash now.
-I have an older model frigidaire gallery front loader and we have a water softener, our water heater is set at about 125 F, I WISH we had a washer that could heat up water on its own. I used to be a nurse on the burn unit, so I am too weary of pouring extra boiling water into the washer or turning up our water temp super high for safety reasons. I had waaaay too many patients who spilled boiling water on themselves by accident at home, and I'm afraid that with a toddler underfoot, it might be even worse and I'd spill it on him by accident.

-Cold prewash with a generous squirt of Joy liquid dish detergent (currently using the citrus scent antibacterial scent, normally I'm not for antibac products... but since poo is involved, I'm ok with it.).
-Hot/cold cycle (extra rinse) with nothing extra (there's enough joy left from the prewash)
-1/2 teaspoon of sportswash and another hot/cold cycle (extra rinse), sometimes I add vinegar, sometimes not... I don't think it makes a difference to be honest.
-Sometimes I will do another cycle w/o anything else, but I think I'm being overly anal, and last time I did dipes, I dropped this extra cycle and everything seemed to be fine, which is great... less work, energy, water and $ involved.

When I was using HE or any kind of other laundry detergent it seemed like no matter how little I used, I would have to do a ton of extra cycles to get rid of suds, but still had stink issues. I was ready to pull my hair out. I believe this is d/t my front loader/soft water combo... it made things EXTRA frustrating. The liquid dish detergent seems to be the key to solving my problems, it appears to rinse out more easily. I don't know if I *really* need the sportswash cycle or not, but it makes me feel better, lol. My dipes now come out smelling faintly citrusy and kind of neutral smelling... in my book, PERFECT!
#50 of 58 Old 06-02-2005, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCeleste
An onboard heater is the obvious solution, but, until recently, they were hard to find on models sold in the US. Even most of the new ones only go up to 140F (60C). That's an improvement, but it's nowhere near the 205F (95C) "near-boiling" cycles found on many European FLs.
I miss my AEG (European) frontloader . I didn't even know that stink (or stains for that matter, as we hung everything in the sun to dry) was an issue until we moved back to the US.

Then again, the only thing I have a stink problem with is fleece, and I'm not sure how FB's or HH's would stand up to be darn near boiled!
#51 of 58 Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 AM

We've been stink free here for two years.

Cold pre-wash with TTO
Hot wash with Calgon and a *TINY* amount of Purex detergent
1 cold rinse with vinegar
1 cold rinse

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#52 of 58 Old 06-02-2005, 11:09 AM

I own a few pocket diapers, and they stand up famously to our Miele's "Sanitize" cycle. Early PUL was used a great deal in hospital settings and built to withstand autoclave pressure and heat - nothing my washer can throw at it should hurt it.

-Eric
#53 of 58 Old 06-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics
I own a few pocket diapers, and they stand up famously to our Miele's "Sanitize" cycle. Early PUL was used a great deal in hospital settings and built to withstand autoclave pressure and heat - nothing my washer can throw at it should hurt it.

-Eric
Good to know! I keep threatening dh with the purchase of a European style front-loader (the only 'threat' being that we own a functioning top loader and the added expense of buying a new one).
#54 of 58 Old 06-03-2005, 06:39 AM

:
#55 of 58 Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 AM

We're pretty darn stink free (not enough to make me want to wrap my nose in the insert, but I don't smell the clean diapers sitting next to me in a big pile either, lol!)

My basic routine is

dry pail where I thow everything in (poop in the toilet, don't rinse with shower or anything)

cold rinse
add 1/4 of the recommended amount of Tide, then do a hot wash/cold rinse/extra rinse cyle.

Then dryer or line dry.

If I have a really messy diaper or several diapers with poop on them, I'll do two rinses first, then regular routine.

I did have some stinky diapers once b/c I had one N*A*S*T*Y diaper (dd was on meds for an ear infection that wouldn't go away but finally did with the meds) and that one diaper stunk up the entire load! So I did a search, added 1/3 cup baking soda to the wash cycle and 1/3 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle (where fabric softner would go) and no more stink!
#56 of 58 Old 06-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never had a problem with stink, and I have no special routine either.

I use cotton prefolds, Very Baby AIOs, fitteds in a variety of fabrics (cotton, velour, hemp) and wool or PUL covers.

I just throw them in the wash with all the other laundry, and wash with an inexpensive liquid detergent. Then throw them in the dryer.

For poop, I spray off with the minishower and then put them in the washing machine.

I do at least two loads of laundry a day. I don't use a pail. Maybe that is why I don't have a stink problem? Everything is washed the same day; nothing sits around waiting.
#57 of 58 Old 06-03-2005, 03:49 PM

I'm sure you'll get 4 bazillon replies and already had but I thought I might contribute.
I bought a bunch of used dipes and after my intial quick wash and use they all smelled horrible! Stink stink stink. So I did cold rinse cycle, hot wash tiny bit of detergent, hot wash no detergent, cold rinse 1/2 cup vinegar and cold rinse. No smell since. HTH!
#58 of 58 Old 06-03-2005, 05:36 PM

:

we're still trying to figure it out. since moving from CO to NC, we've fought stink something FIERCE. i know we have super hard well water, and that is probably what causes it, but even after tons of rinses, we're still fighting it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page