are you stink-free? if yes - what's your wash routine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm looking for ways to eliminate my stink - so if you're stink free :LOL - please share your wash routine - i need to try some things!

thanks!
#2 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 06:01 AM

Stink problems were what first brought me to MDC! My hemp fitteds were really nasty, and even my prefolds were getting a bit ripe. No matter what I tried, it would only go away temporarily.

That was with a front-loading washer. Now we've moved, and have a top loader. No more stink, and no need for fancy wash routines.

If I had to use a front loader again, I'd try to get one with an on-board heater, to get the water boiling hot. If that didn't work, I'd switch to using flats.

Probably not what you wanted to hear...
#3 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#4 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 08:45 AM

I have a front loader and no stink issues.

I make sure to use HE laundry detergent or Dreft (both of which are forumulated for low suds). I use about 1/4 of the amount recommended. I do a wash my machine calls "whitest whites" which consists of a prewash, a hot water wash and an extra rinse. Sometimes I use vinegar for a rinse for softness.

Then I throw in the dryer and dry on medium.

One time I did start to have a smell issue and I did a wash with baking soda - no more smell and I haven't had the problem since.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#5 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 AM

I use about a cup of baking soda in a cold wash/cold rinse cycle. Then I do 2 hot wash/cold rinses. That's it! If I find they are still a little stinky after that I run them through another cycle, but usually two is enough.
#6 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 09:46 AM

we have a front loader.
first I rinse & spin to get out bulk of urine.
then I go back & turn the machine onto the following cycle:
longest hot wash possible (60 degree or 'C' wash) plus extra rinse.
1/2 cup normal detergent (I use Bold) plus 1 tb eco-friendly nappy sanitiser.
I do a full load every day (I do have twins though) so the nappies never sit.
my nappies smell heavenly (or so I'm told every time I sell one)!!
#7 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM

I have a top loader. We do this:
Cold wash with tiny bit of soap.
Hot wash with vinegar.

We had to add the hot/vinegar when Cicely's pee changed from sweet sweet baby pee to toddler ick. FYI.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#8 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 09:55 AM

No stink here! I do a cold rinse with nothing, HOT wash with 1/2 cup baking soda and 6-8 drops TTO then a cold rinse with lavender oil, and then into the dryer or on the line they go!
#9 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:41 AM

It's usually my AIO's that get stinky, so it's into washer for lots of hot rinses until all the suds are gone.

Day to day it's: Cold rinse, hot wash with tiny bit of detergent, cold rinse, cold rinse, dry on medium or hang outside.
#10 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:49 AM

Warm soak w/baking soda. (at least an hour)

Hot wash with All Free and baking soda.

Cold rinse.

Two cycles in the dryer on a warm cycle.

We are stink free.
#11 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:53 AM

We have a top loader and no stink.

I always do a cold rinse with nothing. A very hot wash with 1/3 the rec. amount of deterent(Sun), a bit of Calgon (we have very hard water) and an extra rinse. I try to check for suds at this point and usually there are none. I try never to do a super full load.
#12 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 AM

I used to have awful stink issues ... to the point that I even contemplated giving up on CDs. But after much trial and error I have finally found a wash routine that works for us and we are blissfully stink free!

*Cold soak overnight in a half-full washer, sometimes with splash of Bac-Out, sometimes not, then set the washer to spin so that it doesn't go through a complete cycle.
*Hotest of hot washes, with my water heater turned all the way up, and the washer set on the highest water level and longest cycle. About 1/8 lid of liquid laundry detergent (I use Biokleen or a teeeeeeny shot of Meleluca, but I've also been known to use Era when it was the only thing handy.)
*Warm rinse, as that or cold is the only option I have for a rinse cycle.
*Then, I set the water level to medium and fill the washer with hotest of hot water again, then wait and switch it to the rinse cycle when it is finished filling. (Again, no hot rinse option.) Repeat once if I feel that it is necessary.

It's a PITA, but my diapers smell perfectly wonderful! I wish it didn't take so much water, but that's the only thing I have been able to come up with ... and I tried EVERYTHING!!!!
#13 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 AM

I have a front loader and a top loader side by side. I've been washing hemp diapers in front loaders for 2 years with nary a stink issue. The one thing you need to keep in mind is that front loaders use much less water than top loaders so they cannot be loaded to the brim like top loaders can be.

A typical top-loading washer uses about 40 gallons of water as compared to only 15-20 for a typical front loader. If you add the energy used to heat said water for diapers the environmental concerns increase by an order of magnitude.

Sierra Club Article on it:
http://ventana.sierraclub.org/back_i.../rebates.shtml

Anyway when my front loader had an issue the other day I ran my dipes in the top loader - and the results were not good - the ployester fleece on my pockets became stiff and pilled and the whole wash had a distinct smell of urine and poop to it. Most likely b/c I'm used to using very little detergent - but that middle agitator beat the living daylights out of the load.

Here's our wash regimen if you'd like to check it out.
#14 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 PM

I just managed to get rid of the stink. My wash routine is two soaks/pre washes, with apple cider vinegar. Then one wash hot/cold with Arm and Hammer perfume free dye free detergent. Then another hot/cold was with nothing, and then to finish a warm/warm was with nothing. The dipes are finally stink free.
#15 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 01:34 PM

I've never had stink. I have a front loader that doesn't use much water at all, and normal water (not soft or hard), so I just use a tiny bit of detergent (like a TEASPOON, no more) and I do a 95 degrees celcius hot (and that is close to boiling hot! ) wash with the max number of rinses (5 I believe)and a prewash. Then I usually do a second hot wash without a prewash, just to really make sure they are clean and rinsed.

I also wash every single day so they don't sit around getting funkier and funkier, and I don't put poo in the machine, I spray them with the little mini hand held shower that is attached to the sink next to the toilet (like every toilet in Finland has next to it, they use it to shower their bums off after they go) to make sure all the poo that didn't plop off gets sprayed off, then I put it in the pail. I think the combination of not putting lots of poo into the machine to start with, washing daily so things don't get ...um...overripe, and the fact that the machine gets so hot and I do an extra hot wash all keeps our diaeprs super yummy. Ain't never had sitnk 'round here. Do have a problem with diapers shrinking though, because almost no WAHM's fabric pre-shrinking routine has been as hot&thorough as our machine gets, so they always shrink abit more after they arrive here.
#16 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 01:45 PM

I do a complete wash/rinse on cold with 1/2 cup baking soda. I put a huge canning kettle of water on the stove when I start the dipes because I can't turn our water heater up high easily. Then I turn the wash to hot, add the boiling water, and add 2 squirts of dishwashing liquid. At the rinse part of this cycle, I turn the water level down to medium and add 1/2 cup vinegar. I then do another complete hot cycle with nothing added. Everything's dried on the line, with a short dryer cycle to take out the crunchiness.
#17 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 01:47 PM

I wash every third day - seems to be about the right number of dipes for our front-loader. The cycle I use on my washer is called "Sanitize" and consists of:

1. cold pre-wash with about a tsp of detergent and a 1/4 cup of baking soda
2. main wash - 190' F wash
3. cold rinse

The cycle takes about 2-1/2 hours to complete.

I didn't have this type of washer for about a year and used a GE front-loader but had to do run a prewash manually along with a cold rinse at the end.
#18 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics
2. main wash - 190' F wash
I just did the math and figured out that my hot wash setting is 203 degrees F or 95 celcius.... pretty dang hot! I think those of us whose machines have internal water heaters that get so hot are really lucky and a lot better off, because it helps. The diapers get cleaner maybe because the detergent gets first activated and then rinsed out better.
#19 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:10 PM

i have never had a smell problem with my diapers.. i used kooshies ones for a long time and now just random assortment of fitteds ( hardly any excpet night time diapers now) i use hot water to wash the most of them and inserts and cold for aio's and covers.. sometimes i throw in some washing sida for good measure if they are really ammoniaey ( not a word but who cares) to begin with but after washing ive never had a smelly diaper.. we have never had a front loader and now i do our laundry at the laundrymat.. i use VIP soap ( its local bc soap) nothing special..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#20 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:17 PM

I have a top-loader, but before I start there, I'll tell you about my pail routine. I have all FB's right now and they tend to hold onto stinks for a long time if I don't do this.

When it's a wet diaper, I spray the urine off the insert with the minishower. The FB goes into the pail as is. When it's a poopy diaper I dunk it (insert and FB) and then spray with the mini shower really, really well until all traces of poop are off. I have it on high power spray mode. If it looks like it might stain I spray a stain remover on it. I sprinkle some baking soda on the poopy ones before putting them in the pail (from an old parmesean cheese container). Throw it into the pail. I also spray off poopy wipes. I never, ever have a bad smelling pail since doing this rinse method. It seems like a lot of work but it only takes a few mins and it makes the diaper pail tolerable. My dd is tube-fed pediatric formula and is on GI meds so her poop can really smell.

Wash day: Dump them all into the wash, do a cold pre-wash. Turn up hot water heater and wait until it's heated. I then fill the washer with hot water and 1 capful of sportswash/sensiclean. I let it soak for at least an hour, ideally overnight if it works out that way and I don't run out of dipes (I have a small stash right now). Then I turn the dial and let it finish the wash on perm press cycle.

I check for suds in the rinse cycle. Normally I don't get any suds because I wash with sportswash and there is no need for a rinse. However sometimes if I use too much stain remover in the pail rinsing it requires one more rinse. Very rarely.

Then I put them on low heat in the dryer. My FB's all dry within 40 mins. on low heat. Sometimes I hang them out on the line.

My diapers are sooo fresh!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#21 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

mamas!

i've got lots of different ideas to try - yay! i have a top loader machine. first thing i'm going to do is turn up the water heater.
#22 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics
The one thing you need to keep in mind is that front loaders use much less water than top loaders so they cannot be loaded to the brim like top loaders can be.
Hmm. That couldn't have been "the one thing" for us, since I was only washing about 10 diapers at a time! In the end, I concluded that the water just wasn't getting hot enough. Reading the posts here has confirmed that.

Because of the lower water level in FLs, and the way they fill (a little at a time, rather than all at once), a proportionally greater amount of heat tends to be lost to the intake pipes, wash tub, etc. So, if your water heater is set to 120F -- the recommended "safe" temperature -- the "hot" wash might only be, say, 105F. In a TL, it might be 115F. (I'm not sure what the real figures are, but those estimates are based on the highly scientific method of "sticking my hand in the machine.")

We could have ignored the safety warnings and turned up the water heater, but I'm inclined to think that would have cancelled the environmental benefits of using a FL.

An onboard heater is the obvious solution, but, until recently, they were hard to find on models sold in the US. Even most of the new ones only go up to 140F (60C). That's an improvement, but it's nowhere near the 205F (95C) "near-boiling" cycles found on many European FLs.

Quote:
A typical top-loading washer uses about 40 gallons of water as compared to only 15-20 for a typical front loader
Sure, but given that I can wash more than twice as many diapers in my TL, wouldn't it work out the same?

(I'd still be happy to use our old FL for regular laundry. It worked great for that!)
#23 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:42 PM

Cold prewash with a tsp or so of soap
super long hot wash with a little bit more soap(not more than 2 tblsp total) a squirt of bac out.
2 rinses.

hot dryer cycle for usually over an hour(2 kiddos in cloth so lots of dipes)Will be setting up a clothesline so will probably use that alot this summer.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Cold prewash with a tsp or so of soap
super long hot wash with a little bit more soap(not more than 2 tblsp total) a squirt of bac out.
2 rinses.

hot dryer cycle for usually over an hour(2 kiddos in cloth so lots of dipes)Will be setting up a clothesline so will probably use that alot this summer.
Every now and then I use vinegar or Baking soda. And every now and then I strip with nothing but hot water.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#25 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 03:09 PM

I've had a stink problem for a while, and and these last two loads I've tried pouring boiling water in the wash cycle to get the water hotter, and I'm seeing (smelling) an improvement. Hopefully that does the trick!
#26 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 03:17 PM

obviously lots of suggestions already, but i thought i'd add mine since another thread revealed I was doing things unusually in one way - we don't wash every day or every other day. But we really don't have stink!

eta we wash ever 3-4 days.

now, the pail stinks, which it never did when dc was smaller, but the dipes don't stink after washing.

I get as much poop off hte dipe as possible with TP into the toilet. If I can't get enough I sometimes need two rinses, but not usually. I wash in top-loader with a teensy amount of plain Era in warm (occasional hot), and a cold rinse. that's it.
#27 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 PM

We are stink free here. I have hard water.

My routine:

Rinse poopies with my mini shower. I don't wring them out, just in the pail.
Wet diapers go right in the pail
1 cold prerinse
1 hot wash with 1/3 the recommended detergent (All F&C)
1 squirt of Dawn
2 cold rinses until no bubbles.

#28 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Front loader here (He3T) and no stink. Cold or warm express wash (no detergent), whitest whites cycle with 3/4 scoop of Tide HE and an extra rinse. No rash, no build-up, no stink.
#29 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Stink-free w/ mostly hemp diapers AND really hard water! :LOL

--Before the diaper goes in the "pail" (usually our washing machine :LOL) we rinse off most of the poop w/ the Mini-Shower.
--Cold rinse w/ nothing. (We technically don't add baking soda, but we add a lot to the pail, so there really is some in there.)
--Hot wash/cold rinse, small load size, liquid Tide W/ Bleach Alternative halfway up to the "1" line, 1/2 cup baking soda.
--Hot wash/cold rinse w/ nothing.
--Maybe once every week or two, a third hot wash/cold rinse w/ nothing as a sort of "preemptive mini-stripping."
--Dry on medium.
--Strip diapers every couple months.
#30 of 58 Old 05-30-2005, 10:34 PM

I have a toploader and soft water.
Cold prerinse w/ 1/2 teaspoon allen's naturally and 1/2-1 teaspoon : bleach
Hot wash/cold rinse with vinegar in rinse nothing else added
Cold wash/cold with nothing added ( I have to rinse a lot because of soft
water)
Sometimes I add an extra hot wash if we have an illness.

No stink or rashes since using this routine. Been doing this for about 2 months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page