i just gotta say it.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my pet peeve is when people ask for stalking help. i mean, why not pm a few of your friends and just ask them to help. yes, you may really, really "need" this item but sheesh, i'm sure that are several other people who "need" the same item but may not be as popular or just aren't into public begging. there are threads like these practically everyday and i just cringe when i see them.

i'm stepping off my soapbox so bring on the flames.
#2 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 PM

I usually see at least one person helping every thread I've ever seen. I don't see the problem with it.
#3 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM

No flames. . .Mama!

Personally for me. . everytime I don't ask for stalking help, I wish that I did because I always suck.

I like the stalking help posts because then it helps me resist temptation and I can help someone else out-which is usually more fun anyway. Without the posts, I may not have any idea that this mama wanted something that maybe I had a chance at getting.

Or maybe I just have no friends to PM. Did you ever think of that? Man, I am such a loser. :LOL
#4 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:09 PM

i'd like it better if people posted an "i'm-available-to-help" thread, and then people could PM them. but you're right, not only do there seem to be a lot of these but often i see them causing bad feelings between people...it almost becomes a contest to see who "deserves" the item more. one person will say they'd like an item for ___ reason and another will say they need it for ___ reason and the next thing ya know, it's outta control. besides the fact that you said...one person asks first and then anyone else who wants something either has to ask second or not bother asking and...it's just a mess!
#5 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:10 PM

I've publically asked twice for something I *really* wanted and both times was helped out by someone I would not have known well enough to PM and ask for help. I try to repay the favor when I see others asking, especially someone who deosn't ask often. It's worked once or twice. I think it's fine to ask - I know it has helped me. Feel free to PM me and ask for help anytime
#6 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:12 PM

i like them! if i can help out, it's nice to practice my hyena cart skills - which pretty much suck :LOL i like to help other mamas out too and maybe someday, someone will help me when i really want/need something.

i'm still kinda new here and while i consider everyone a diapering 'friend' i don't think i know anyone well enough to pm and ask for help - to me, it's all about the community, sharing, and helping each other out
#7 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyriver
i'd like it better if people posted an "i'm-available-to-help" thread, and then people could PM them. but you're right, not only do there seem to be a lot of these but often i see them causing bad feelings between people...it almost becomes a contest to see who "deserves" the item more. one person will say they'd like an item for ___ reason and another will say they need it for ___ reason and the next thing ya know, it's outta control. besides the fact that you said...one person asks first and then anyone else who wants something either has to ask second or not bother asking and...it's just a mess!
Maybe I'm missing something. People start disliking others because of this? Hmm, I dunno about that. This thread should get interesting. I think I'll stay out of it :LOL
#8 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgr8ful
to me, it's all about the community, sharing, and helping each other out

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#9 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:16 PM

No flames, but I think a lot of people appreciate the requests for stalking help, because they enjoy stalking but may not need a diaper themselves, or can't afford one at the moment. I think that giving them someone specific to stalk for will reduce the chances that they will end up buying an item they don't need or can't afford, only to cancel the order or have to sell it immediately.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#10 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgr8ful
i like them! if i can help out, it's nice to practice my hyena cart skills - which pretty much suck :LOL i like to help other mamas out too and maybe someday, someone will help me when i really want/need something.

i'm still kinda new here and while i consider everyone a diapering 'friend' i don't think i know anyone well enough to pm and ask for help - to me, it's all about the community, sharing, and helping each other out
Perfectly said.

Yeah, I agree w/Lisamarie. I guess I am not so hardcore about the stalking that I would become upset if someone couldn't help me or if there was competition for something I wanted. Probability states that there is usually more than one person going for an item. I think stalking is a fun thing, not something that should cause hopelessness and utter despair. :LOL
#11 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:22 PM

I love stalking for "the thrill, but not the bill" as Claire says it

and some people have dial-up connections and can use all the help they can get on stockings so they feel like they stand a chance. Heck...I have a cable modem, and I can't even score on HC :LOL
#12 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:28 PM

"I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me" - Beck

Sorry - Mom2Orionplus1 brought that to my mind, lol. I feel the same way sometimes!

I go back and forth on this topic.... I have asked for help once (unfortunately to no avail). I am reluctant to ask, as I don't feel like I really know people here, as many others do. I definitely would never write a sob story, though, as I find that truly annoying.

It's also a little deflating when you see people getting 2,3, or more helpers to get the item you're wanting, too. I would never ask after I've seen one of these go up. I just go ahead and try on my own, and hope for the best!

So maybe I just need to avoid reading the details of stalking threads to keep my optimism going (especially for Hyenacart!), and just offer my help whenever I know that I'm not in the market for my own babe!
#13 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't like the stalking threads either. I think it creates disadvantages for those who don't have the "help". I also think it is based on popularity. Just think if everyone asked for help each time they wanted to score something. I think the most "popular" on the board would get more help and the board would be swamped with this kind of post.

Maggie, wife and mom to three
#14 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyskeeper
I definitely would never write a sob story, though, as I find that truly annoying.
My poor three legged dog needs a prostetic leg and my baby only has three CDs to her name. I try and wash as much as possible but I just can't as fast as she pees. Sometimes I have to CD her w/the Sunday news. Is that wrong? I usually pic the comics so she can entertain herself by reading them. Oh wait, babies can't read. Just add that to my list of terrible things that keep happening in my life. Not to mention that my husband has been laid off three times in the past month and our house is about to be repossessed. Oh no, now the cat is throwing up everywhere. I think I will feel so much better if I could score a custom slot at Mudpie Babies. My little girl looked at me and even said her first word today. . "Mudpie". See, that is a sign.

Whatever do you mean by sob stories?
#15 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:41 PM

Sometimes I don't mind them. Sometimes I do :LOL I have asked for help publicly twice, I think, and PM'd privately a few other times.

But I know what you are getting at Steph. I hate that those threads might make someone feel bad. And I have seen threads turn nasty over begging people to help them. That drives me crazy. When people lose it over fluff.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#16 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM

Make Love , Not Flames

I can understand the concern for fairness when it comes to asking for stalking help. I like to believe that most people don't just stalk for their "favorites". If I see a Need for Stalking Skills, I count it as an opportunity to get to know someone better. I'd say the people that I've stalked for, most of them wouldn't "know" me well enough to PM me for help. But, if I see their HELP WANTED sign, I'm more than happy to oblige... whether I'm chummy with them or not.

So... how does that equal fairness... I'm free to stalk for whoever asks. It's totally first come first serve with me. Heck, I've ditched some of my IRL friends for people online that I don't know from Adam, but they asked me first. So, it's not at all a favorites thing with me. If there weren't the HELP WANTED threads though, I'd probably just be stalking for people I knew really well... and the rest of the time WISHING I had something fun to do!

Stalking for the thrill and not the bill (Janet, I hate to say it, but I think I stole that line from someone else, can't remember from whom though!) would still happen without the HELP WANTED threads. I just think the threads share the stalking wealth more. Who wants to help the same mama score a BUNCH more MM or KP or BBB when you could help a virgin that you never met before through a HELP WANTED thread?

I like to share my stalking powers and the HELP WANTED threads help do so.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#17 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2orionplus1
My little girl looked at me and even said her first word today. . "Mudpie". See, that is a sign.
:LOL :LOL :LOL

I am trying ALL BY MY LONESOME for a mudpie today, and I am flipping excited.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#18 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I don't really like it either, but I don't mind helping out, because I like stalking!
I don't ask for help, because I don't really NEED anything I try to get. If there was something I was desperately wanting/needing I might ask. Otherwise I think it's more fair to let everyone have a chance.

35 yo mom to ds1 (8), ds2 (6), dd (3), and oops big surprise #4 edd 12/19/11

#19 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Quote:
My poor three legged dog needs a prostetic leg and my baby only has three CDs to her name. I try and wash as much as possible but I just can't as fast as she pees. Sometimes I have to CD her w/the Sunday news. Is that wrong? I usually pic the comics so she can entertain herself by reading them. Oh wait, babies can't read. Just add that to my list of terrible things that keep happening in my life. Not to mention that my husband has been laid off three times in the past month and our house is about to be repossessed. Oh no, now the cat is throwing up everywhere. I think I will feel so much better if I could score a custom slot at Mudpie Babies. My little girl looked at me and even said her first word today. . "Mudpie". See, that is a sign.

AMEN!

:LOL That's really funny.

Why not a stalking sticky?Or a thread just for the purpose of helping others buy?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#20 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM

oh yeah the sob stories drive me crazy.

Me, I want it cuz I want it :LOL

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#21 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM

["My poor three legged dog needs a prostetic leg and my baby only has three CDs to her name. I try and wash as much as possible but I just can't as fast as she pees. Sometimes I have to CD her w/the Sunday news. Is that wrong? I usually pic the comics so she can entertain herself by reading them. Oh wait, babies can't read. Just add that to my list of terrible things that keep happening in my life. Not to mention that my husband has been laid off three times in the past month and our house is about to be repossessed. Oh no, now the cat is throwing up everywhere. I think I will feel so much better if I could score a custom slot at Mudpie Babies. My little girl looked at me and even said her first word today. . "Mudpie". See, that is a sign.

Whatever do you mean by sob stories?"]

I was just kind of reading this thread to see where it was going but this made me crack up so much that my kids are asking me why I'm laughing so hard (actually, my dd just asked if I'm laughing or crying because I was laughing so hard). Thanks, I needed that

Ok, back to see how this thread is moving along.....

PS. I don't really have an opinion on the thread stalking thing....I tried to get an El bee once and they were sold in like 1.3 seconds so I gave up on that......

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
#22 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM

I never gave it much thought, since I don't usually go for hyena items anyway But pp mentioned a stalking sticky--what about a sticky w/ a list of people who are available to help stalk? That way if someone needed stalking help, they could consult said sticky & PM someone to help them?

I am also :LOL at the sob story hehehehe

full-time student and single mommy to 3 fabulous little guys!
#23 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:

:LOL :LOL :LOL

I think I do need to start stalking for others more though, because I need more of those thrills without the bill, as you said, Spark

My wallet definitely sees the benefit to that!
#24 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

o.k., THAT was funny!
#25 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM

I dont mind the posts for help - I enjoy helping when I can (even though I suck at HC) and appreciate the help when I want something (becuase I suck at HC :LOL ).

The sob stories drive me a little too - there isnt much that *requires* stalking help that anyone really NEEDS - its mostly hyena stuff that we all may be addicted too but can survive without.

If you really NEED stuff you use whatever - FFS stuff off the TP or things you can easily get from any retail site.

No one had to quit cloth diapering because they couldnt score a MM or BBB! :LOL
#26 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 04:23 PM

Did I mention that my hands just fell off and now I can no longer hit F5?
#27 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Did I mention that my hands just fell off and now I can no longer hit F5?
:LOL

Would your nose work?!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#28 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloveladycmc
:LOL

Would your nose work?!
: You know, I'm betting Christine has toes, too....

Thanks for the giggles!
#29 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
And I have seen threads turn nasty over begging people to help them. That drives me crazy. When people lose it over fluff.
Yeah,that is sooooooo not cool! Sometimes I think we should be able to sentence people to coverless PF island until they learn to love PFs for their simplicity, beauty and function. ONLY THEN can they come back and play hyena.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#30 of 58 Old 06-27-2005, 04:29 PM

I go back and forth on the issue. When there's an item I would really like and there's a thread with 16 people all trying for the same thing for one momma (because of her 3 legged dog) I get a little irritated. Sometimes I know I feel desperate for help because it feels like if I don't ask I'll never get that item. I have never scored one single diapering related item at HC and that's not for lack of trying. I have also never had anybody score an item for me, and I have resigned myself to the fact that I never will. HC is not my friend

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page